Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2023 11:42:33 AM EDT
Had my 70-200 on my D3s in the carrying case, but the case slipped off my shoulder and it hit the cement.  

I don't think the camera or the lens are damaged, but the filter is obviously trashed and it won't spin off the lens.   Thinking about shipping it to Nikon to get the filter removed, and recalibrate the lens provided it's not damaged (had the hood on it, which took some of the impact as well), but what concerns me is the little glass particles inbetween the lens and filter now.     Shipping the lens wld vibrate all these particles, prob scratching my lens element.

Now that I'm done crying, any suggestions??

Link Posted: 9/23/2023 11:56:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#1]
I am seriously wondering why you don’t just unscrew the filter, lightly blow off the lens and put a new UV filter on.  

Am I missing something?  is the lens threaded part affected that receives the filter?  

The only real reason I have a filter on is to take such a blow should the unfortunate incident happen to me.

Edit, I missed the won’t spin off part.  My bad.

I’d tap that bent rim back and see if it would unthread.  It’s not like you need to worry about scratching the filter, it’s done for.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Front elements are surprisingly tough. As a rule, UV filters don’t do much other than degrade image quality (some notable exceptions are neutral density and solar filters).  I swore off uv filters over a decade ago, and have never looked back.

A lot of people think that they can act as sacrificial elements, to protect the actual front element. In reality, any impact that’s going to damage the front element won’t be stopped by the filter. Front elements are best protected by religious use of lens caps and hoods.

I seriously doubt that any loose  glass particles are going to hurt the lens, except for maybe getting glass dust everywhere.

You should be able to get the filter unscrewed; gently with some pliers  gripping the edge of the ring.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 3:42:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 4:10:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Had no idea they made such a device.    

I did get the glass dug out of it, and the lens glass looks fine and everything functions like it shd on the old D3s and D780.

I must be a weak bitch, cause's for the life of me I can't spin that thing off.    Prob just gonna live with it and finish up football season as is, and then send it off to Nikon and let them remove it and also clean it and calibrate it.    Gonna think on it.

Thx for all the help!!

Link Posted: 10/27/2023 11:02:28 PM EDT
[#5]
One of my girls did something like that years ago and I think it actually saved the lens. One of those very lucky stops. It took a lot, but I was able to get it off and the threads on the lens didn't look that bad. If it were my lens, a careful use of some kniepex cobra head pliers would have it off in no time.
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 8:17:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Take a picture with that busted filter on it. I bet it would look crazy!
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 12:25:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Hit up a hardware store and get a smaller sized rubber strap wrench. Likely with care you can get it to bite on the rim of the filter. Or..before spending that money use a heavy rubber band or even rubber glove. Something to let you get a good grip. The strap wrench would give the advantage of leverage.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 11:34:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a filter stuck on a lens a couple times. Tried using a rubber strap wrench, but it wouldn't touch it.

I got a old truck tire inner tube and cut a square section a bit larger than the lens, laid the rubber on my work bench and pressed the lens onto it and turned. Filter came right off.

If you try anything that will squeeze it, it seems to just make it harder to get off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top