Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2023 11:58:56 AM EDT
Using the BGE, set temp at 270 with a deflector plate.

Using this:

Attachment Attached File

Chop up a few garlic cloves and onions and place in Dutch oven, put some canola oil in so it doesn't burn.

Place the do in the egg and a rack on top of the do, put the roast on top of the upper grill, cook to 165.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Once the meat is to temp, up the temp to 325-350, drop the meat into the Dutch oven, add taters, celery, fresh green beans, baby carrots, and beef broth.  Place lid, and let cook.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 3:27:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ambridge77] [#2]
Waiting for pics of the finished product.

Although pot roast isn't my top dinner choice,
a good pot roast never fails to satisfy.

ETA - I don't appreciate pot roast like I should.
          It is wonderful comfort food.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 4:35:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, OK, I guess I will also make some cast iron cornbread.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I need to learn how to make a good pot roast, this is interesting as I've never seen it cooked fully before going in the pot.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Last pot roast I used a dark beer instead of beef broth, turned out fantastic.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 6:05:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shinji_Ikari] [#6]
No, I did not write the recipe, but it is the one I am using:

Ingredients
•½ cup butter
•⅔ cup white sugar
•2 large eggs
•1 cup buttermilk
•½ teaspoon baking soda
•1 cup cornmeal
•1 cup all-purpose flour
•¼ teaspoon salt
Directions
1.Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8-inch square pan.
2.Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Quickly whisk in eggs.
3.Combine buttermilk and baking soda in a small bowl; whisk mixture into the skillet. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well-blended and only a few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
4.Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes.

Make sure you preheat your oven and cast iron, I put a little crisco in the pan and let it heat up, I can tell if I will have it sticking almost immediately when I pour the batter in.  If it crackles, I am good, if not it may stick.  This time I heard faint crackling, I should have waited at least 5 more minutes.  We will see in about 40 min or so.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
I need to learn how to make a good pot roast, this is interesting as I've never seen it cooked fully before going in the pot.
View Quote

If you do not have a smoker I am sure you can do it in the oven, well not the over the top part, but I am sure it could be done.

Today I am pretty much winging it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Just after I put the cornbread in I shut down the egg (snuffed the fire) and plan to let the dutch oven just sit there till I get the cornbread out.  Maybe I can convince the family to wait a few minutes and give stuff time to rest before digging in (fat chance).
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Do belive the veggies are done.  Happy the beans are fork tender since they were fresh. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 6:39:43 PM EDT
[#10]
And, we have the meat!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Now we have cornbread. Attachment Attached File

And the moment of truth:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 6:51:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brawnydog] [#12]
Do you even Mississippi Pot Roast bro?
Seriously good and simple.
https://belleofthekitchen.com/mississippi-pot-roast/

This is not a competition, just wanted to offer another delicious roast recipe.

Just saw your cornbread recipe. Sugar in cornbread makes me sad, but I know it happens.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#13]
You need to get a corn bread pan.  Results in more crispy edges.

I butter the pan after I pre-heat it in the oven.  Muffins are pretty much loose in the pan.

I use the recipe on the corn meal package.  One batch fills the pan.

Now I want to make some.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#14]
The cornbread just fell outta the pan.

I can look at another recipe, actually been wanting to find other new stuff to cook on the egg just to have more options.

Gjad a few guys followed along.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top