User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 3:49:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RV8guy:
Nothing good comes a rattle can.

Just got an RV8 in the shop today. That will a fun little project.
View Quote

I disagree.

Not mine. Stolen from the web. Happens to come from arf.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:26:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Got the right elevator trailing edge mostly bent.
Attachment Attached File

Need to fabricate a tool they show to get the last little bit of bend needed…but that will have to wait for the morning. I need a set of channel locks with longer handles.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:56:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Thousands of dollars in airplane tools and to bend the elevator trailing edge I have to make wooden contraptions…
Main bending tool:
Attachment Attached File

Finishing tool:
Attachment Attached File

But, hey. They worked.

And yes, these are things the plans tell you to make.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:48:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Right elevator parts and some left elevator parts got primer today. I’m still trying to figure out the best settings for the spray gun. I have the pressure from the tank at 40psi then at the gun down to 20ish.
The very first batch I did for the vertical stab came out nice, but I was wasting a lot of paint and the air pressure was blowing the little parts around way too much. I’m trying to find a good balance between airflow paint so the little parts don’t have to be held.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:56:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Run your air compressor at max psi. As a baseline, turn the fluid knob on the spray gun all the way in then back out 3 turns. Adjust your air at the gun to get good atomization. If you you need to spray smaller things with with more finesse, turn the fluid knob in one turn and turn your air down.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:55:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Got the right elevator mostly buttoned up.  
F this rolled leading edge. I have some massaging and reading to do to fix the middle section…

Elevator skeleton
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Elevator good lay down on the leading edge…
Attachment Attached File

Bad lay down/puckering
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:55:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Run your air compressor at max psi. As a baseline, turn the fluid knob on the spray gun all the way in then back out 3 turns. Adjust your air at the gun to get good atomization. If you you need to spray smaller things with with more finesse, turn the fluid knob in one turn and turn your air down.
View Quote

Thank you, I will try this the next session
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Continuing the work on the left elevator.
Got the skeleton pieces mostly ready to go in primer.
The instructions say now is the best time to figure out the trim servo while there’s still a bunch of access so that’s what I did today.
The plans and instructions don’t give you much to go on, so you’re left to mostly figure it out yourself. After reading a bunch of build logs I think I got it pretty much dialed in and drilled the trim servo mounting brackets to the access plate.

Then I’m up to the dreaded elevator tab bending. A lot of threads have people messing them up and just cutting the tabs off and making a little riblet to close out the trim tab side of the elevator. I’m going to go slow and try bending them, but it’s good to know there’s a back-up if I mess it up instead of having to buy a whole new skin.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Elevator tabs
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:09:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_Sky] [#9]
Originally Posted By clayvt:
Continuing the work on the left elevator.
Got the skeleton pieces mostly ready to go in primer.
The instructions say now is the best time to figure out the trim servo while there's still a bunch of access so that's what I did today.
The plans and instructions don't give you much to go on, so you're left to mostly figure it out yourself. After reading a bunch of build logs I think I got it pretty much dialed in and drilled the trim servo mounting brackets to the access plate.

Then I'm up to the dreaded elevator tab bending. A lot of threads have people messing them up and just cutting the tabs off and making a little riblet to close out the trim tab side of the elevator. I'm going to go slow and try bending them, but it's good to know there's a back-up if I mess it up instead of having to buy a whole new skin.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/207473/IMG_5969_jpeg-3194758.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/207473/IMG_5970_jpeg-3194761.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/207473/IMG_5971_jpeg-3194763.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/207473/IMG_5972_jpeg-3194765.JPG

Elevator tabs
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/207473/IMG_5973_jpeg-3194766.JPG
View Quote
Man, you are lucky!
When I built my RV4, the electric elevator trim was an aftermarket thing with absolutely no factory parts and it had to be built from scratch from drawings.
But it was the best way to implement the elevator trim, manual trim sucks big time.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:09:59 PM EDT
[#10]
A little trick I’ve learned working on people’s RV’s. The trim servo can be a little tuff to remove when needed. The shape of the opening is not 100% ideal. The aft inboard corner of the motor needs a little bit more room to easily slip out. I usually take a round file and trim out a half circle at that spot. With the motor and cover plate installed it can’t be seen. A small thing to think about is the wiring for the trim motor. It passes through a small round hole with a grommet on it. I’ve seen a bunch of builders put a large square connector there. Sure the motor comes out but the elevator is now a P.I.T.A. At least a couple of times in the airplanes life, the elevator will need to be removed. I’ve seen some even hard wire the motor in. No choice then but to cut the wires.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:43:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Thx for the tip on the corner. I was thinking of shaving down the edges of the 4 forward nut plates to give a little more clearance as well.
For the wiring, I’ve seen a few different methods and one of the ones I liked most was d-sub connectors to an extra length of wire that terminates to a 9 pin d-sub fitting that mounts to the rear deck under the vertical stab. Or cannon plug. Kind of thinking of using cannon plugs wherever there is a bulkhead pass through.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:32:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I usually do d-sub pins individually heat shrunk together. No matter where you put the connectors the wiring needs to be able to go through a hole when removing or installing the elevator. You matter what you do just be glad that you are not doing manual trim. I just pulled apart a manual trim RV8. Not hard but a pain in the butt.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:39:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Been working off and on. Had to take last weekend to tile my kitchen with the help of my father. But before tile work, we of course had to do some work on the left elevator.
Between the two of us we managed to get the inboard and outboard trim tab tabs bent fairly successfully. Some minor fitting may still be required before I close it up.

After he left I tried to do the left elevator skin tab folds and buffered them up. Like so many of vansairforce and build logs do.
So, I did what they did. I fabricated and little riblet to fill the space and when I’m doing all of the finish work I’ll fill it in with foam and putty over it to give it a smooth finish.

It hasn’t gotten its final squish. I’ll do that after I prime so I can still get in there and clean/prime it.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I finally got my replacement horizontal stab front spars. So when the left elevator is done I’ll finish that up. Luckily most of the bending/straightening of the ribs and edge work is already done.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:41:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Oh and I fitted the trim tab side of the hinge.

Riblet forming block
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:44:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MtnMusic:

I think the RV-7 only carries something like 600 pounds total (including fuel, etc.) so you'd be limited.

Maybe one of those little .22 LR miniguns?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MtnMusic:
Originally Posted By PanelVanHalen:
.50s, 20MMs, or a mix of both?

I think the RV-7 only carries something like 600 pounds total (including fuel, etc.) so you'd be limited.

Maybe one of those little .22 LR miniguns?

I doubt the wings could support a guns weight much less the ammo.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Had a customer bring in an RV this week. He didn't want to fit the wheel pants so I get to do it. Fun times.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Had a customer bring in an RV this week. He didn't want to fit the wheel pants so I get to do it. Fun times.
View Quote

To be fair, it looks like a pain.
Fiberglass work and fittings I am not looking forward to.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:56:36 PM EDT
[#18]
One completed trim tab and mostly complete left elevator. Still have to roll the leading edge and tweak one or two of the hinge eyelets that got bent a bit while riveting.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Got the leading edge of both the left and right elevator done today. I really hope I never have to do that again.
I still have the leading edge of the rudder to do, but that’s .016 material as opposed to the .025 of the elevator skins.

Next is finally the horizontal stab which should have been the first thing I started but I’ve already covered that.

Once that’s done, the empanada kit is complete and I can star on the wings!

Gotta start thinking about a better place to store all of these things…Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:21:48 PM EDT
[#20]
A little pc. at a time, good progress!
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:11:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Figured before I put my rolling implements away I should roll the rudder leading edge.

Attachment Attached File

Next problem…I can’t find where I put my horizontal stab plans sheet!
It’s not with the rest of the plans. Where the heck could I have put them?!
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:34:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I’m so jealous of the knowledge base and wherewithal to pull this off. I’ve flown a few various RVs 25 or so back with guys who built them in their garages. Some of dubious build quality and flown by pilots of questionable skill (and as a poverty stricken CFI is why I was there) but I also flew some built by guys who’s planes if I could track down I’d buy now. I spend as much time as I can in the shop without getting in the way or slowing the guys down when our jet is in the shop. Just trying to learn as much as I can about the parts of the plane I don’t see every day and stuff FSI never comes close to covering.

This is easily my favorite GD thread right now. We desperately need more like this.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:47:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Even with the whole deal about Van's being in the middle of a Chapter 11 restructuring and all that...

I still want to build one. Probably the RV-12is, because I doubt I'll have major funds and the ability to burn 91 octane pump gas in a pinch is appealing.

Anyway, really liking this thread. Will be tuning in for updates!
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 2:59:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By pilatuspilot:
I’m so jealous of the knowledge base and wherewithal to pull this off. I’ve flown a few various RVs 25 or so back with guys who built them in their garages. Some of dubious build quality and flown by pilots of questionable skill (and as a poverty stricken CFI is why I was there) but I also flew some built by guys who’s planes if I could track down I’d buy now. I spend as much time as I can in the shop without getting in the way or slowing the guys down when our jet is in the shop. Just trying to learn as much as I can about the parts of the plane I don’t see every day and stuff FSI never comes close to covering.

This is easily my favorite GD thread right now. We desperately need more like this.
View Quote

😂 knowledge base…
I’m learning as I go! I’m learning from reading, lots of reading and for once in my life trying to slow down and read the plans several times before making a cut or hole.

If anyone wants to make sure this thread doesn’t die once the metal parts are done, feel free to contribute to an engine fund! lol
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:01:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By RifleCal30m1n00b:
Even with the whole deal about Van's being in the middle of a Chapter 11 restructuring and all that...

I still want to build one. Probably the RV-12is, because I doubt I'll have major funds and the ability to burn 91 octane pump gas in a pinch is appealing.

View Quote

I briefly thought about the 12. But my anticipated mission will include long cross countries and the 12 felt like it’d be a little too cramped inside for 2 for many hours.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:53:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Work on the horizontal stab picks up where I left off.
Found the plans diagram in the middle of the whole roll of 60ish pages. No idea how it got there.

Attachment Attached File

The front spar is designed for the RV8 and needs some trimming for the 7. This part was previously done on the original parts I got from the previous owner but I didn’t like how thin he made the piece.

Original on top, my replacement on bottom.
Attachment Attached File

The original was cut in the wrong spot making the material way too thin for my liking.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:34:52 AM EDT
[#27]

To be fair, it looks like a pain.
Fiberglass work and fittings I am not looking forward to.
View Quote

When you get to that point in your build, don’t sweat it. Fiberglass is easy.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:37:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tnriverluver] [#28]
Spray painting/priming.  If you don't already know this make sure you have a water trap between the compressor and the spray gun.  It is a must!  Two is even better and drain them often.  Something like this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:40:12 AM EDT
[#29]
I got one. A dissecent type.
But then I got to thinking. Moisture isn’t the end of the world.  
The primer I’m using is thinned with water.
Stewart systems ekoprime.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:52:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RifleCal30m1n00b] [#30]

I briefly thought about the 12. But my anticipated mission will include long cross countries and the 12 felt like it’d be a little too cramped inside for 2 for many hours.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RifleCal30m1n00b:

That's fair. If my situation changes significantly, I may be revising my thoughts to the 9. Plus, there was an outfit I saw mentioned on the Van's Air Force forum that made add-on tanks to fit in the gap behind the seats but ahead of the baggage area; added something like 4.5 or 7.5 gallons per side. If my math is on, that's something like another 20-40% fuel capacity (if you do both seats)
Clarity edit: the extra tanks were for the -9, and I believe also the -7 and -14 had options available.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

As a guy who just sprayed Stewart coatings on my fuselage, you do not want any moisture coming from the air supply. I had a single stage filter, but it wasn’t cutting it, so I went to a two stage filter plus a dessicant stage. It’s worked well so far.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:46:26 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Moisture is a killer to a good paint finish.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:22:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Work on the HS is progressing.
If I had to give advise to someone starting out, it would not be to start with the HS like the plans have you do. Of course thousands of folks have done it, but there’s a lot of head scratching and figuring out how what you’re supposed to do. Doing this right off just throws someone right into the deep end.
I think starting on the VS like I had to is a much gentler way to get acclimated to the process, tools and plans reading.

As it is, it still took me way too long to figure out what I was supposed to do with the center ribs that have zero pre-drilled holes in them. Finally figured it out, but dang. lol.

Anyways, here is where I’m at now.

Attachment Attached File

Figuing out these. The front and rear flanges was a bunch of fun…
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Horizontal stab parts ready to be riveted.
Attachment Attached File

So far I am on my estimated schedule of having the empanage done by June. This should hopefully be done by this weekend.
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:27:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Pretty rivets!
Attachment Attached File
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top