Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/28/2024 12:12:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: evnash]
This has been a hot topic around here for awhile. lots of protests and marches and justice for signs in local shops and peoples yard. Officer was fired and charged with wrongful death. lots of people were saying he only had a light.  

local news story

article with footage

dead guy threatens tow truck driver with a pistol. Driver calls LEO and they sneak up to his house. Tow truck returns and Dead guy come running into his yard with pistol and attached weapon light, cops tell him to drop the gun and he swings and points it at them. They are going to argue the cop give him time to drop the gun. however, i can see it from the cops POV. Call with an armed suspect threatening and then he shows up and points his gun at you....good shoot? mag dump excessive once the perp is down?

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:19:43 PM EDT
[#1]
The answer is to ban weapon lights.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Was it ever determined if he was actually behind on his car payment or not?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:31:26 PM EDT
[#3]
was the repo guy getting the correct vehicle?

what policies were violated (according to the chief)?

From the video, the shooting appears justified (absent the answer to the above questions)
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:39:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Morgan321] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:

From the video, the shooting appears justified (absent the answer to the above questions)
View Quote

All been covered here before:

Dead guy's family says the car was paid up.  
Difference is if the bank or repoman made a mistake they might share some liability.

Repo is a civil matter and cops aren't supposed to help.  Since they can't "help" they parked their cars around the corner and laid in wait (hidden from view) for the guy rather than simply park a patrol car in front of the house with the lights on so he knew cops were there.

If he pointed the gun at the repoman the actual shooting might be justified, but the cops should not have never been there in the first place.  
Repo man was chased off earlier in the night by the guy and he should not have returned.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:41:00 PM EDT
[#5]
That was an ambush and mag dumping the guy after he was down is really bad. Bad shoot
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 10mmillie:
That was an ambush and mag dumping the guy after he was down is really bad. Bad shoot
View Quote

Can cops “ambush” someone when trying to arrest them after they committed a crime?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:46:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Morgan321:

Difference is if the bank or repoman made a mistake they might share some liability.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

So was the repossession valid or not?

Repo is a civil matter and cops aren't supposed to help.  Since they can't "help" they parked their cars around the corner and laid in wait (hidden from view) for the guy rather than simply park a patrol car in front of the house with the lights on so he knew cops were there.

If he pointed the gun at the repoman the actual shooting might be justified, but the cops should not have never been there in the first place.  
Repo man was chased off earlier in the night by the guy and he should not have returned.  

I dont see it as helping with a repo, if the repossession was legit, rather trying to arrest the truck owner for assault.   I hadnt heard anything about this before so I'm basing my opinion off of the two links and footage.  

Is there some kind of limit in AL on how many times a day a repo guy can try to get a vehicle?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:47:02 PM EDT
[#8]
The debtor had every opportunity in the world to NOT commit aggravated assault against the driver.   He also had every opportunity in the world to go back to bed, all pissed off, but alive.

The fact that he failed to avail himself of those opportunities is on him, not the cops or the tow truck driver.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:58:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#9]

View All Quotes

If the synopsis of events posted here is accurate, I’m struggling to see how this would be helping with repossession.  Repo guy was collecting property based on a valid repossession order and had a gun pulled on him.  Cops are responding because dude was armed and used his weapon to commit a crime against someone who was performing a lawful activity.  They’re not responding to help the repo guy get the car.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#10]

I dont see it as helping with a repo, if the repossession was legit, rather trying to arrest the truck owner for assault.

View Quote

This is pretty much where I'm at, too. The cops were there because the man threatened the driver with a gun, and he had good reason to believe he would do it again.

As far as the police are concerned, I don't think it should make a difference if the debtor was paid up or not. As long as the repo man had the proper documentation for that vehicle, the police were just there to make sure he was safe while doing his job.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

And if  when the cops pulled up with light on, the guy who just committed ag assault came out blasting would you then say “they should have tactically  approached”
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:04:19 PM EDT
[#12]
TF is "leaded bodycam footage"?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Seems like the cops didn't give the guy a chance but then again threatening someone with a gun brings this kind of shit down on your head.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:06:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Ledfingers:
View Quote

I've heard that argued before. "Oh, so you have that bright light so you can blind people before you shoot them? You don't need a light on your gun." So I wouldn't be surprised to see that at some point in the future.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Ledfingers:
View Quote

Only for civilians tho.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:15:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bama_Rebel] [#16]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:

If the synopsis of events posted here is accurate, I’m struggling to see how this would be helping with repossession.  Repo guy was collecting property based on a valid repossession order and had a gun pulled on him.  Cops are responding because dude was armed and used his weapon to commit a crime against someone who was performing a lawful activity.  They’re not responding to help the repo guy get the car.
View Quote

then why did the repo guy go back with the cops?
and try to repo the truck again. It was an ambush so they could murder the guy
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:21:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Lots wrong with this. All over a vehicle. If your paid up and in the right just let them take your rig you'll get it back.

But also the cops dont get to set up an ambush and murder you in your yard over a civil matter. They should have told the tow truck driver to stay away and pursued it in the daylight.

Fucked up all the way around.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:26:19 PM EDT
[#18]
"kind of milk chocolate colored"
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:26:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Interesting the trigger was back on the Glock.  Meaning it had been fired and jammed OR he was carrying with an empty chamber with the striker released.

Also I gotta cringe a bit at the NCSTAR weapon light.  Those things will get you killed!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:30:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Britt-dog:
Lots wrong with this. All over a vehicle. If your paid up and in the right just let them take your rig you'll get it back.

But also the cops dont get to set up an ambush and murder you in your yard over a civil matter. They should have told the tow truck driver to stay away and pursued it in the daylight.

Fucked up all the way around.
View Quote

Pointing a pistol at someone isnt a civil matter.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Pointing a pistol at someone isnt a civil matter.
View Quote

Neither is stealing a car.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Bama_Rebel:

View Quote

Yeah no.  In this day and age, the last thing cops want to do is to shoot a black suspect.  More like they were hoping that the guy would come out and when confronted, he'd simply give up and be taken into custody.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By trails-end:

View Quote

is a valid repossession stealing?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#24]
We told him that the NCStar weapon light was going to get him killed...

Jokes aside, the guy thought his truck was getting stolen, because "according to his family" it was paid up. I can understand coming out with a gun for that reason. I really don't think they gave him time to react, other than to swing the pistol at someone coming off the side of his house.  Shitty situation.

In my uneducated opinion, if cops are not allowed to help with repos, they should have done a knock and talk regarding his previous assault during the initial repo attempt. Dangerous? Sure, but no less than ambushing him in the dark, which it 100% was a planned ambush.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

No. But if he was paid up, then his presumption is valid.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Did the dead guy call the police to report attempted theft of his vehicle?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Steve Perkins you tricked me I didn't think it would be like it do but it was. I am of course not shocked guns had to be introduced in this situation, regardless of paid off status of the truck.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By grey50beast:

No. But if he was paid up, then his presumption is valid.
View Quote

and this is why I continue to ask if the repo order was valid.  The family saying it was paid doesnt mean anything.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:41:28 PM EDT
[#29]

Jokes aside, the guy thought his truck was getting stolen, because "according to his family" it was paid up. I can understand coming out with a gun for that reason. I really don't think they gave him time to react, other than to swing the pistol at someone coming off the side of his house.  Shitty situation.

In my uneducated opinion, if cops are not allowed to help with repos, they should have done a knock and talk regarding his previous assault during the initial repo attempt. Dangerous? Sure, but no less than ambushing him in the dark, which it 100% was a planned ambush.
View Quote

Is there a rash of repro trucks with flashing light stealing cars?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#30]
A key takeaway in my line is never use deathly force to protect property
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:41:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bama_Rebel] [#31]

Yeah no.  In this day and age, the last thing cops want to do is to shoot a black suspect.  More like they were hoping that the guy would come out and when confronted, he'd simply give up and be taken into custody.
View All Quotes

then they should of knocked on his door, like they would any other time. The fact they hid and got the tow driver to try to repo the truck again confirms this. Nothing about that situation was about "hoping that the guy when confronted, he'd simply give up and be taken into custody."
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:43:30 PM EDT
[#32]
It's a tough one.  Bad setup, goodish (?) initial shot or threes, the coup de grace at the end was done by someone with an unlimited ammo budget/attoney fee/fine payment ability.  Silver lining is eveyone went home safe and another day closer to 20y.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By trails-end:

Doesn't the bank have the lien?  The guy did not own that vehicle unless he paid it off and had the title.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:52:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By evnash:

View Quote

A 2 second Google showed me exactly that...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

And that is what the department policy would have them do.  
But they violated policy, killed a guy, and got fired.  Shooter is also getting charged with murder.

This thread is a dupe, here is a link to a previous thread reply that has lots of factual information.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#37]
What is a "leaded bodycam"?  Is it extra heavy or something?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:58:10 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

My offhand suspicion is that the cops didn't want to deal with the arrest at all, so if the repo guy gets the vehicle and leaves safely, time to clear call without a report and go back to the station.

Anyone who's done repos or been called out on repo disturbances can attest to how spicy they get. Residents pulling guns isn't exactly a new thing. I've seen people straight up jump onto the moving vehicles and try to climb the tow truck like it's Mad Max (and then get run over because their parkour skills suck and they can't hold on).

There's zero chance the homeowner didn't realize it was a repo truck in his driveway, considering the prior interaction. That he was armed, with light turned on and pointing it, indicates pretty clearly he was knowingly committing aggravated assault.

PSGWSP.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:07:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By WesJanson:
There's zero chance the homeowner didn't realize it was a repo truck in his driveway, considering the prior interaction. That he was armed, with light turned on and pointing it, indicates pretty clearly he was knowingly committing aggravated assault.
View Quote

I hate getting sucked into GD drivel.  

If his car loan was current then it was not a repo, it was theft, and dead guy was not breaking the law.  

If his car loan was not current then the repoman and police violated written policies which led to the guy getting killed.  Just like if you drive drunk and kill somebody, it's your fault for breaking the rules.

The whole point everybody misses is that there was a better way to do it, but varying amounts of stubbornness on all parties resulted in a guy dying, a little girl growing up knowing the cops killed her dad, a cop being charged with murder, a bunch of cops fired and can never work as a cop again, the city out tons of money, and so many more things.  All because the cops wouldn't just park a patrol car with flashing lights in front of the house.  

No matter how you cut it the cops were wrong.  Whether or not dead guy was wrong has no bearing on how wrong the cops and repoman were.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

My key takeaway is to confront trespassers like the cops handled the homeowner:

"Stop or I'll sho.." bang, bang, bang "ot!" bang, bang, bang

Bang.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:23:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grey50beast] [#42]
Originally Posted By Ajek:

My key takeaway is to confront trespassers like the cops handled the homeowner:

"Stop or I'll sho.." bang, bang, bang "ot!" bang, bang, bang

Bang.
View Quote

Don't forget to miss 85% of your shots.

Accuracy by volume.

(TBF I missed all but 1 shot in my gun fight, but I was the ambushed, not the ambusher.)
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#43]
If he wad paid up its 100% bad shoot.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:28:48 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Yes , long time now.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:30:29 PM EDT
[#45]

then they should of knocked on his door, like they would any other time. The fact they hid and got the tow driver to try to repo the truck again confirms this. Nothing about that situation was about "hoping that the guy when confronted, he'd simply give up and be taken into custody."
View Quote
Yeah.

PoPo: [ knock knock ]

PoPo: "Mr Perkins, this repo guy has valid paperwork to repossess this vehicle, why did you point a gun at him earlier?"

If someone points a gun at a person (pick a reason) do the cops just sorta hang around like snipers to shoot them in the act? Or do they go issue a ticket or arrest for reckless endangerment (or whatever) regardless if the victim is hanging around or not?

Repo guys that fuck up are just thieves, and should be treated as such. If sometimes that means getting a beat down in street justice, so be it. Here's a hint: Don't fuck up.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:35:43 PM EDT
[#46]
what the f*** is a leaded body Cam
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Harmonic_Distortion:

Only for civilians tho.
View Quote

well, of course!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By clutchsmoke:
Seems like the cops didn't give the guy a chance but then again threatening someone with a gun brings this kind of shit down on your head.
View Quote

Are the cops required to give the guy a chance? Does it have to be a fair fight or something?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#50]
couldn't they just shoot the pistol out of his hand?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top