Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2024 7:00:26 PM EDT
We are a small Church of Christ, between 150-180 members. Before Covid we were hovering around 300. Because of our low number we don't have many kids. Our youth group is 6 to 12th grade and depending on the day we have 3 to 10 kids in that age group.
We don't have a youth minister. Our elders have told us that they have tried getting a youth minister or even an intern, but applicants are few and far between.
Curious how ya'lls churches are doing with youth ministers?
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By 243savage:
We are a small Church of Christ, between 150-180 members. Before Covid we were hovering around 300. Because of our low number we don't have many kids. Our youth group is 6 to 12th grade and depending on the day we have 3 to 10 kids in that age group.
We don't have a youth minister. Our elders have told us that they have tried getting a youth minister or even an intern, but applicants are few and far between.
Curious how ya'lls churches are doing with youth ministers?
View Quote

We belong to a new Church only a year or so old, but its really small.  We only have maybe 30-40 regular members, of them 99% are Adults, there are maybe 4 kids (not counting the pastors) that are older than nursery age.  Never even thought about that till now.

Our last church had a ton more people and kids.  I don't recall them having a youth minister either.
I feel like what we lack in numbers we lack in quality and good caring folks.

We left our last church as my wife, did not feel "at home there", even though we'd been going there for years.
One Saturday she tells me she just don't feel it there, but couldn't explain why.

I said, OK well, lets try a few others and of we find something we like better we'll switch or stay where we are if not.

We tried a few and we found one that we both like and have been there since.  Since then our Son,  his wife and two kids have been going with us, almost every week.

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#2]
We belong to one of the largest CofC’s in the country.  We have 3 FT youth ministers, 4 if you count the wife of the youth leader.  We have four interns coming for the summer.  But, we also exist more in “the Bible Belt”.  
I feel for your church and its kind of the chicken or the egg.  Just because you build it, doesn’t mean they’ll come.  It takes money to get people, but people to get the money.  
Is there an inspirational person in church that are in their 20’s/30’s that can relate to youths and act as a lay minister?
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure if anyone at our church has thought about replacing our youth minister by becoming one. I guess I should have started at the beginning, instead of asking the question that comes up at the end.

We currently have a youth minister. He has been our church's youth minister for 25 years. That was what he was orginally hired as. Since then he has also become the song leader, the church counselor and counselor for profession and an elder.

He has been an interesting youth minister over the years with folks, including my wife, wondering why he became one. Either way, he has a lot on his plate now, but he continues because there hasn't been a replacement.

For a couple of years before Covid, we would have summer interns, but one of the biggest things we have found is many of the younger youth minister that come to us believe Homosexuallality is OK. We disagree with that believe and at that point the church doesn't pursue them for the position anymore. The elders tell us they put notices out that they are looking, but we don't know where or how actively.

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#4]
There's a nation wide shortage of ministers on all fronts.

Some areas are worse than others, but its generally gotten a lot more difficult to hire a minister.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#5]
We don’t. We don’t have worship teams, song leaders, or anything like that either. We have a Pastor and an Assistant Pastor, the congregation sings the hymns.

Children attend the regular service with adults. Sunday school is broken into age groups, one for little ones and then two groups for gradeschool kids depending on age. 11/12/13 or so they go with adults.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By King_Mud:
We don’t. We don’t have worship teams, song leaders, or anything like that either. We have a Pastor and an Assistant Pastor, the congregation sings the hymns.

Children attend the regular service with adults. Sunday school is broken into age groups, one for little ones and then two groups for gradeschool kids depending on age. 11/12/13 or so they go with adults.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top