Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2024 12:50:36 AM EDT
Huh.  Came on GD to see what people thought of this movie and didn't see a thread. Figured there would be a thread already.  Nope. So I guess I'm starting one.  No spoilers.

I saw it yesterday and broadly speaking I liked it.  No woke bullshit that I could detect.

No real big names in it except for William H. Macy.  The female lead was also in the Witcher, she's very nice on the eyes.  Nothing crazy about her physical prowess as a fighter, no grrrrl power nonsense.  There is some significant gun play.  A believable character.

The apes CGI is very very good.  At times I did feel it was real.  Nicely done.

They are definitely leaving it open for a sequel, which I will watch.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:36:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Bentley8:
Huh.  Came on GD to see what people thought of this movie and didn't see a thread. Figured there would be a thread already.  Nope. So I guess I'm starting one.  No spoilers.

I saw it yesterday and broadly speaking I liked it.  No woke bullshit that I could detect.

No real big names in it except for William H. Macy.  The female lead was also in the Witcher, she's very nice on the eyes.  Nothing crazy about her physical prowess as a fighter, no grrrrl power nonsense.  There is some significant gun play.  A believable character.

They are definitely leaving it open for a sequel, which I will watch.

View Quote

Cool, my daughter and I are watching the trilogy (me for the second time, first for her).

I really like it and glad they didn't fuck it up with the fourth one.

The CGI is incredible in these films, even the earliest one.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:05:14 AM EDT
[#2]
A sequel? Isn’t this like movie #4 in this series?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:59:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tengo1:
View Quote

Yeah, like Hollywood never makes sequels or remakes or retreads

- Hey look! it isn't 1975 anymore!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:28:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#4]
I binged the first 3 of the series - it would be hard for me to believe it is not woke.  Not woke enough to really piss me off, but for the most part - white man bad, apes were generally (not entirely) noble savages.  IIRC, there was usually one good male character who helped the apes against the bad men.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:40:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I adored the first three in this continuity,  but the change in directors has me wary. Reeves is brilliant (yes, I know he didn't do the first one). The guy on Kingdom seems like a generic hired gun.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:56:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By cayman_shen:
I adored the first three in this continuity,  but the change in directors has me wary. Reeves is brilliant (yes, I know he didn't do the first one). The guy on Kingdom seems like a generic hired gun.
View Quote

Adored?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:28:05 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

One of the cable channels was running all the old ones back to back Saturday so I looked.  Internet said there were 5 in the original series that started in like 1968 and the one that just came out is the 5th of the new ones.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:33:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I never cared that much for the original movies, personally… but these new flicks have been good-to-excellent. The first one in particular, how it starts with Alzheimers research. It was exceedingly well done near-world sci-fi.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:25:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Aspida1776:

Adored?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Adored?

So fucking what?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:46:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#12]
You were worried the apes were woke lol

Hulu has all the original films and the latest 3.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:50:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hadrian] [#13]
Originally Posted By Bentley8:

View Quote

Still not good enough.  It's like a very sophisticated cartoon.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:02:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I've not seen the latest installment, but my interest in the series wained with each successive movie. At this point I wait for any movie to be on a streaming service for no extra cost. The whole of Hollywood funds people who hate me, I do my best not to give them any more money.

I did note that in the originals the humans were the good guys, in the reboots the apes are the sympathetic characters. The wests nihilism on display again.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:10:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Ronin76:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ronin76:

By 1975 the original Planet of the Apes movie had already spawned 4 sequels.  And a live action television series.  And an animated television series in that year...
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Adored?
View All Quotes

Adored?

Continuity?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:33:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Agreed it was very good movie. Not woke just a good story.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top