Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 2/23/2023 4:25:24 PM EDT
Planning to fly down to Key West in April.

Whos been?  What shop?  Where to stay?

Single dude.  Solo trip.  Don't want to have to walk far from hotel to dive boat or back to the hotel when my day is over.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#1]
There's an archived thread from 4/28/2022 that I couldn't find
in the arf search, but could find searching Google.

"ar15.com Florida Keys Beginner Dive Course"

Or you could: @Marie (or @marie)

I believe she's a well-traveled diver and could probably
offer some suggestions for Key West.

Good luck, have fun!
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 5:38:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to Scubaboard and ask there. I always go to Key Largo not Key West for diving. Far more social things to to do in Key West.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Just make sure you see the christ of the abyss statue.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 8:08:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I dive the Great Lakes area, FL caves, and MX caves.

Friends have been to Key Largo and love Rainbow Reef for diving. No clue about Key West. Asking on SB is a good suggestion.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 8:08:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Waxman:
Just make sure you see the christ of the abyss statue.
View Quote

Isn’t that Key Largo?
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 8:03:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MostlyPeaceful] [#6]
@DG17

Key West: Captain's Corner and Southpoint Divers are good dive boat outfits. Wreck dives in the morning and reef dives in the afternoon. If you want a morning reef dive out of Key West go with Lost Adventures.

I highly recommend diving Looe Key. I've seen bigger animal life, the coral seems healthier and visibility is often better than the dives out of Key West. Looe Key Resort on Ramrod Key and Captain Hook's on Big Pine both offer morning and afternoon two tank dives. You'll need transport from Key West for the Looe Key dives, so either have a car or take the Lower Keys Shuttle.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 10:32:36 PM EDT
[#7]
If your in Key Largo to dive you should message me.  If your in Key West captains corner  is your guy.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Rainbow Reef took me on my first ocean diving trip (after years as a cave diver, ironically) and I enjoyed it. Coming from a more technical type of diving, but in a new environment, I appreciated the DMs staying near us and explaining everything thoroughly so I didn't get washed out to sea by not paying attention.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 1:02:27 PM EDT
[#9]
OST....I'm tagging this. I was stationed in Boca Chica for a few moths, honeymooned in the Keys in '06, and have been 5 times since then. Going back in July. Mainly a dive trip for the wife and I, and the 12 year-old who just got certified last year. MIL wanted to get away a bit, so we invited her along. Flying, not driving. I think I have most of the dives planned-Christ of the Abyss, reefs, maybe lunch at the Jules Vern Underwater Hotel... I want to see if there are any good suggestions since its not to late for me to change things. I haven't been back since '14. I am looking for some good scuba luggage for 3 BC/octos/fins.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JoeRedman:
OST....I'm tagging this. I was stationed in Boca Chica for a few moths, honeymooned in the Keys in '06, and have been 5 times since then. Going back in July. Mainly a dive trip for the wife and I, and the 12 year-old who just got certified last year. MIL wanted to get away a bit, so we invited her along. Flying, not driving. I think I have most of the dives planned-Christ of the Abyss, reefs, maybe lunch at the Jules Vern Underwater Hotel... I want to see if there are any good suggestions since its not to late for me to change things. I haven't been back since '14. I am looking for some good scuba luggage for 3 BC/octos/fins.
View Quote

Over on Scubaboard a lot of people say to not get scuba branded bags at it screams gear that might attract thieves.

The Stahlsac bags get good reviews. I have an REI rolling duffle I use.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Marie:

Over on Scubaboard a lot of people say to not get scuba branded bags at it screams gear that might attract thieves.

The Stahlsac bags get good reviews. I have an REI rolling duffle I use.
View Quote

Neither of the ones im looking at are branded scuba...yet
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AYWMQ42/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A7ULJO7NAWM0L&psc=1
and
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q1GLWCV/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=A2COE0PFKS3U5O&psc=1

Although, I had thought about spray painting a big diagonal stripe on the red bag.

Wife and son wear almost same size BC, mine is a bit larger. I'm going to try to fix 3 BC's and accessories into them. i have yet to pick up my son's-that trip is planned in June when I go to  P'cola. My dive instructor/Navy buddy is going to let me do a little commercial diving with him for a few days, and I'll pick it up then.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 6:54:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Neither of the ones im looking at are branded scuba...yet
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AYWMQ42/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A7ULJO7NAWM0L&psc=1
and
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q1GLWCV/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=A2COE0PFKS3U5O&psc=1

Although, I had thought about spray painting a big diagonal stripe on the red bag.

Wife and son wear almost same size BC, mine is a bit larger. I'm going to try to fix 3 BC's and accessories into them. i have yet to pick up my son's-that trip is planned in June when I go to  P'cola. My dive instructor/Navy buddy is going to let me do a little commercial diving with him for a few days, and I'll pick it up then.
View Quote

If you’re trying to get that much gear into one bag, then forget the Stahlsac or regular scuba ones. Probably not big enough. Are these big bulky jacket BCs? Get you a big rolling duffle. Be aware that anything over 65 dimensional inches is considered over standard checked size. The airline website can tell you what’s what for details on that. I had a boatload of cave diving gear and my REI duffle worked fine. Wasn’t cheap though. A friend had recommended it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Danted:
If your in Key Largo to dive you should message me.  If your in Key West captains corner  is your guy.
View Quote

Listen to this man.

I used his shop when I was in the Keys. Great to work with, and very friendly. The guides were awesome as well.

Next time I'm in the Keys, it's the first call I'll make to go diving.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Key Largo or Looe Key.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#15]
https://www.oceankey.com/

Best location to everything Key West is the Ocean Key House, its right next to Mallory Square.

For diving the best is between Big Pine Key and Marathon. The key is to NOT go on a pontoon boat as the reef is 7 miles offshore.
The best beach dives are off Bahia Honda and Pigeon key. Stay out of the water in Key West it's nasty.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By OKC556CPA:

Listen to this man.

I used his shop when I was in the Keys. Great to work with, and very friendly. The guides were awesome as well.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Listen to this man.

Thank you for the glowing review. :)  
We really work hard to be the best experience in the keys for recreational diving.   And I'm always happy to be able to share that with the arf family.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 12:17:06 PM EDT
[#17]
If you just want to dive, skip Florida and go a little further to the Bahamas and do a live aboard.  Bunk, food, drink and 3-4 dives per day at the best dive sites for $1,100/wk. not including airfare.

https://allstarliveaboards.com/blackbeards-liveaboard-diving/
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 8:26:47 AM EDT
[#18]

We really work hard to be the best experience in the keys for recreational diving.   And I'm always happy to be able to share that with the arf family.
View All Quotes

Listen to this man.

I dove with them yesterday, and my review couldn't glow more. Had a great time with the guys. Professional and courteous. I really wanted to dive the Christ of the Abyss, but I believe the weather was iffy out there. The other two dive sites were great! We are diving a little further down the keys this afternoon, and maybe doing the tour of the Jules Vern underwater hotel. Thank you, again and maybe we can catch a beer before I head home!
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 9:11:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#19]
Originally Posted By Marie:

Isn’t that Key Largo?
View Quote

Yes, and it's about a 2 hour drive from Key Largo to Key West, so OP should keep travel distances in mind. If it were me, I'd stay in Key Largo for diving.

As far as luggage appearance concerns, I have one of these and it will fit one of those mesh dive bags in it just fine. I bought it for my large backpacking bag when I was going to Nevada & Utah, and was pleasantly surprised to find I could fit my dive equipment bag I take on boats in it when it was full of gear for diving Lake Mead/Lake Mohave.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 9:57:30 AM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

Listen to this man.

Question for you...  are there lionfish hunting classes?  I want to do one of the Reef Lionfish Derbys and have never been spearfishing (I only have about 18 or so dives under my belt, mostly cold NY lake water and 4 off the coast of SC).  I'm not really a hunter, but would like to try...  i have my own gear, and would probably drive down from South Carolina after a vacation there, and then all the way back up to NY over a few days.

Any recommendations on good places to stay?  Just want reasonably affordable and clean... don't need a pool/hot tub since i'll get plenty of time in water i hope.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 10:02:20 PM EDT
[#21]

I dove with them yesterday, and my review couldn't glow more. Had a great time with the guys. Professional and courteous. I really wanted to dive the Christ of the Abyss, but I believe the weather was iffy out there. The other two dive sites were great! We are diving a little further down the keys this afternoon, and maybe doing the tour of the Jules Vern underwater hotel. Thank you, again and maybe we can catch a beer before I head home!
View Quote

Thanks for another great review @Joe!
Christ was crazy current last weekend and early week,  well make it happen next time for ya.
Sorry i couldn't make it for a beer, wild and busy week here.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 1969iggy:

Question for you...  are there lionfish hunting classes?  I want to do one of the Reef Lionfish Derbys and have never been spearfishing (I only have about 18 or so dives under my belt, mostly cold NY lake water and 4 off the coast of SC).  I'm not really a hunter, but would like to try...  i have my own gear, and would probably drive down from South Carolina after a vacation there, and then all the way back up to NY over a few days.

Any recommendations on good places to stay?  Just want reasonably affordable and clean... don't need a pool/hot tub since i'll get plenty of time in water i hope.
View Quote

Saw your message and responded!
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top