Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2024 1:50:45 PM EDT
I’ve been doing keto for years and sporadically deal with muscle cramps after a workout and then using a muscle group for something else. For example, bicep/back day and then I have to carry something and my arm will cramp up.

No big deal until this week when I had a stomach bug. While throwing up, my abs locked up! It was quite comical.

I take a multivitamin each day but it’s not cutting it. So, what am I missing?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Kawasaki: 'A monkey never cramps'
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:54:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been using Nuun sport.

https://a.co/d/bOptcYV
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I keep a good supply of pickle juice in the fridge. I’m sure my neighbors have heard the turmoil when I go into full cramp mode.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:56:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Pickle juice.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:04:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#5]
Magnesium and potassium.  Gatorade too.

I get cramps on the sides of my calfs and my hamstrings.  No amount of stretching or massaging would fix them.  I bought one of those impact massagers that will tenderize meat on a setting 1.  It loosens up a cramp pretty damn quick.  I get cramps on the sides just below the ribcage where you just can't reach the muscle.  Impact massager took care of it.

I see stacks of these tools at football games, the trainers are using them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wildearp:
Magnesium and potassium.  

I get cramps on the sides of my calfs and my hamstrings.  No amount of stretching or massaging would fix them.  I bought one of those impact massagers that will tenderize meat on a setting 1.  It loosens up a cramp pretty damn quick.  I get cramps on the sides just below the ribcage where you just can't reach the muscle.  Impact massager took care of it.

View Quote

Yea, electrolyte imbalances can really get to you.  Easy to increase sodium, just salt your food more.  But you need Magnesium and Potassium too.  Just be careful with the Mg, it's a laxitive.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:06:26 PM EDT
[#7]
salt water
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:08:42 PM EDT
[#8]
LMNT
Morton Lite Salt
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:09:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Magnesium + Taurine
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:15:46 PM EDT
[#10]
You would not like it, works pretty good for me. Tonic water has QUININE in it. Had to develop a taste for it. It's all I drink now, about 2 liters a day. Store gets it for me 3 cases per order.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:18:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Typically, potassium pills have only 3% of the potassium you need daily.

Food Sources of Potassium
Many of the foods that you already eat have potassium in them. If you need to boost the amount in your diet, you can choose healthy foods including:
•Bananas, oranges, cantaloupes, honeydew, apricots, grapefruit (some dried fruits, such as prunes, raisins, and dates, are also high in potassium)
•Cooked spinach
•Cooked broccoli
•Potatoes
•Sweet potatoes
•Mushrooms
•Peas
•Cucumbers
•Zucchini
•Pumpkins
•Leafy greens
Juice from potassium-rich fruits is also a good choice:
•Orange juice
•Tomato juice
•Prune juice
•Apricot juice
•Grapefruit juice
Certain dairy products, such as milk and yogurt, are good sources of potassium (consider low-fat or fat-free).
Some fish contain potassium:
•Tuna
•Halibut
•Cod
•Trout
•Rockfish
Beans and legumes that are high in potassium include:
•Lima beans
•Pinto beans
•Kidney beans
•Soybeans
•Lentils
Other foods with potassium include:
•Salt substitutes (read labels to check their potassium levels)
•Molasses
•Nuts
•Meat and poultry
•Brown and wild rice
•Bran cereal
•Whole-wheat bread and pasta
18 Foods That Pack More Potassium Than a Banana
•High-potassium foods
•How much potassium do you need?
•FAQ
•Bottom line
Bananas may be known as potassium-rich foods, but you can also get potassium from avocados, sweet potatoes, spinach, coconut water, and other delicious food and drinks.
Potassium is a vital mineral and electrolyte that your body needs to maintain normal blood pressure, transport nutrients into your cells, and support healthy nerve and muscle function (1Trusted Source).

It’s considered an essential nutrient because your body can’t produce it. Therefore, you must get potassium from foods to meet your recommended daily needs, also known as the Daily Value (DV) (2Trusted Source).

However, most people don’t get enough potassium through their diets. It’s estimated that less than 0.015% of American adults meet their daily potassium needs (3Trusted Source).

Since a medium banana contains around 9% of the DV for this mineral, most people consider it the go-to food to increase their potassium intake. However, bananas are not the only good source of potassium (4Trusted Source).

A list of high-potassium foods

Here are 18 foods that pack more potassium than a banana.
1. Avocados
Avocados are packed with healthy fats, vitamin K, and folate.
Half an avocado without the skin and seed (68 grams) contains 345 mg of potassium, or 7% of the DV. If you eat a whole avocado, you’ll get almost 15% of the DV at once (5Trusted Source).

What’s more, avocados may benefit people with high blood pressure, who often need to increase their potassium and reduce their sodium intake. Like most other fruits, avocados are low in sodium, with half an avocado providing just 0.2% of the DV (1Trusted Source, 3Trusted Source, 5Trusted Source).

SUMMARY
Avocados are packed with nutrients, and one avocado provides roughly 15% of your daily potassium needs. They’re also rich in vitamin K and folate.
2. Sweet potatoes
Sweet potatoes are often used as an alternative to white potatoes.

They’re an exceptionally nutritious way to support your potassium intake. A 1-cup (328-gram) serving of mashed sweet potato boasts 16% of the DV (6Trusted Source).

What’s more, sweet potatoes are low in fat, offer a small amount of protein, and are a good source of complex carbs and fiber.

They’re also an excellent source of vitamin A, which is critical for vision. The same serving of sweet potatoes provides more than 200% of the DV of vitamin A (1Trusted Source, 6Trusted Source, 7Trusted Source).

For a balanced and filling meal, you can pair these delicious root vegetables with a protein source such as beans or meat, some dark greens or colorful vegetables, and a little fat.
SUMMARY
Sweet potatoes boast 16% of the DV for potassium in just 1 mashed cup (328 grams), plus some protein, fiber, and vitamin A.
3. Spinach
Spinach is one of the most nutrient-dense vegetables.
Just 1 cup (190 grams) of frozen spinach packs 12% of the DV for potassium. Similarly, about 3 cups (90 grams) of raw spinach contain roughly 11% of the DV (8Trusted Source, 9Trusted Source).
It’s also loaded with other nutrients. The same serving of frozen spinach contains 127% of the DV for vitamin A, 857% for vitamin K, 58% for folate, and 37% for magnesium (1Trusted Source, 8Trusted Source).
SUMMARY
Spinach provides about 12% of the DV for potassium per 1 cup (190 grams) frozen or 3 cups (90 grams) fresh. This vegetable also offers folate, magnesium, and vitamins A and K.
4. Watermelon
Share on PinterestIrina ShpillerGetty Images
Watermelon is a large, delicious fruit with high water content.
Just 2 wedges (about 1/8 of a melon, or 572 grams) provides just under 14% of the DV for potassium (1Trusted Source, 10Trusted Source).
The same serving also contains 44 grams of carbs, 3.5 grams of protein, 0.8 grams of fat, and 2.2 grams of fiber. What’s more, this lush, red melon is a great source of magnesium and vitamins A and C (10Trusted Source).
SUMMARY
Watermelon is a tasty summertime fruit that provides about 14% of the DV for potassium in just 2 wedges. It also offers several other vitamins and minerals.
5. Coconut water
Coconut water is a particularly hydrating drink.
It’s an excellent natural alternative to sports drinks, as it contains key electrolytes that help draw water into your cells. Its natural sugars also provide energy during exercise and help replenish lost glycogen stores afterward (11Trusted Source).
Just 1 cup (240 mL) of coconut water contains 13% of the DV for potassium. Plus, it’s a good source of magnesium, sodium, and manganese (1Trusted Source, 12Trusted Source).
Coconut water is very refreshing when served chilled with ice after a sweaty workout. Just make sure to avoid varieties with added sugar.
SUMMARY
Coconut water is not only a great hydrating drink but also an excellent source of potassium, containing 13% of the DV in just 1 cup (240 mL). It’s also a good source of magnesium, sodium, and manganese.
6. Beans
Beans are a nutritious source of complex carbs and plant-based protein.
Just 1 cup (179 grams) of white beans has twice as much potassium as a banana, clocking in at a whopping 21% of the DV. The same serving of black beans provides 13% of the DV (1Trusted Source, 13Trusted Source, 14Trusted Source).
While black beans contain phytates — an antinutrient that may reduce your body’s mineral absorption — you can soak dried beans overnight to help reduce their phytate content, as this compound will leach into the water (15Trusted Source).
Both white and black beans are incredibly versatile and easy to add to salads, burritos, and stews.
SUMMARY
Beans are a terrific source of potassium. While white beans pack more potassium than black beans, both are delicious ways to add more of this mineral to your diet.
7. Legumes
Aside from beans, the legume family includes lentils, chickpeas, soybeans, and peanuts — all of which are high in potassium.
For instance, a 1-cup (198-gram) serving of lentils packs 15% of the DV for the mineral, while the same serving of chickpeas, soybeans, and peanuts provide 10%, 19%, and 23% of the DV, respectively (16Trusted Source, 17Trusted Source, 18Trusted Source, 19Trusted Source).
Certain legumes, such as lentils and chickpeas, contain phytates. Therefore, remember to soak them overnight to reduce their phytate content. You can also try sprouting them (15Trusted Source).
SUMMARY
Legumes such as lentils, chickpeas, soybeans, and peanuts are rich in potassium. Soaking or sprouting them before eating them may improve mineral absorption.
8. Tomato paste
Tomato paste is made from cooked tomatoes that have been peeled and seeded.
Just 3 tablespoons (50 grams) contain more than 10% of the DV. Tomato paste is also a good source of vitamin C and lycopene, a potent antioxidant with cancer-fighting properties (1Trusted Source, 20Trusted Source, 21Trusted Source).
This concentrated condiment adds flavor to all tomato-based sauces and dishes, but watch out for products that have added sugars, additives, or preservatives. You may want to pick the product with the fewest ingredients.
Summary
Tomato paste not only enriches the taste of your food but also provides ample amounts of potassium. Just 3 tablespoons (50 grams) pack around 10% of the DV.
9. Butternut squash
Share on PinterestClaudia Totir/Getty Images
Butternut squash is a sweet-tasting winter squash. While technically a fruit, it’s cooked like a root vegetable.
Just 1 cup (205 grams) provides 12% of the DV for potassium. It’s also a great source of vitamins A and C and has smaller amounts of B vitamins, vitamin E, and magnesium (1Trusted Source, 22Trusted Source).
You can easily roast, boil, steam, or chop butternut squash for dishes such as baked veggies or hearty soups.
Summary
Butternut squash is a great source of potassium, boasting 12% of the DV in a single cup (205 grams).
10. Potatoes
Potatoes are a starchy root vegetable that remains a staple food in numerous countries.
One medium boiled potato (167 grams) offers 12% of the DV for potassium (1Trusted Source, 23Trusted Source).
However, there are many varieties of potatoes, and their potassium content may depend on the soil in which they’re grown.
Summary
Potatoes are rich in potassium and are a staple in many households. One medium spud typically provides 12% of the DV for this mineral.
How to peel potatoes
11. Dried apricots
Dried apricots have a long shelf life and are usually pitted. Just 1/2 cup (65 grams) provides 16% of the DV for potassium (1Trusted Source, 24Trusted Source).
These fruits are also a good source of fiber and vitamins A and E (24Trusted Source).
Dried apricots are delicious mixed into muesli or as a healthy snack for hikes or camping trips.
Summary
Dried apricots are a great alternative to bananas for a potassium boost. Just 1/2 cup packs 16% of the DV, as well as fiber and vitamins A and E.
12. Swiss chard
Swiss chard, also known as silverbeet or simply chard, is a leafy green vegetable with a thick stalk that ranges from red to orange to white in color.
It’s also highly nutritious. Just 1 cup (175 grams) of cooked chard offers 20% of the DV for potassium — more than double the potassium in a banana (1Trusted Source, 25Trusted Source).
The same serving packs 476% of the DV for vitamin K and 60% of the DV for vitamin A, all while being low in calories and high in fiber (25Trusted Source).
Swiss chard makes a delicious base for salads and is easy to steam or saute with a little oil.
Summary
Swiss chard contains more than twice as much potassium per cooked cup (175 grams) as a banana — about 20% of the DV.
13. Beets
Share on PinterestMiquel Llonch/Stocksy United
Just 1 cup (170 grams) of boiled beets gives you 11% of the DV for potassium (1Trusted Source, 26Trusted Source).
Plus, this root vegetable contains nitrates, which have been shown to support blood vessel function and overall heart health when converted into nitric oxide in your body (27Trusted Source).
Beets are also an excellent source of folate — a vitamin needed for DNA synthesis and repair — with 1 boiled cup (170 grams) providing 34% of the DV (26Trusted Source, 28Trusted Source).
You can eat beets boiled, pickled, or raw.
Summary
Beets provide 11% of the DV for potassium per boiled cup (170 grams). They’re also a good source of folate and contain nitrates, which have been shown to support heart health.
14. Pomegranate
Pomegranates are an extremely healthy, many-seeded fruit that vary in color from red to purple. One whole fruit (282 grams) gives you 14% of the DV for potassium (29Trusted Source).
Moreover, pomegranates are packed with folate and vitamins C and K. They also pack more protein than most other fruits, at 4.7 grams per fruit (282 grams) (29Trusted Source).
Summary
Pomegranates offer 14% of the DV for potassium, as well as sizable amounts of folate, fiber, protein, and vitamins C and K.
15. Fruit and vegetable juices
Drinking fruit and vegetable juices is another easy way to increase your potassium intake.
Citrus juices seem to provide the most potassium (3Trusted Source).
For example, 1 cup (240 mL) of 100% orange juice offers about 10% of the DV for potassium, while the same serving of grapefruit juice provides 9% of the DV (30Trusted Source, 31Trusted Source).
Juices from potassium-rich fruits such as pomegranates are also great alternatives. A 1-cup (240-mL) serving of pomegranate juice packs 11% of the DV (32Trusted Source).
Some vegetable juices are also rich in this mineral.
For instance, 1 cup (240 mL) of carrot juice boasts 15% of the DV, and the same serving of tomato juice provides 10% of the DV (33Trusted Source, 34Trusted Source).
Summary
Fruit and veggie juices such as orange, grapefruit, pomegranate, carrot, and tomato juice all provide 9% or more of the DV for potassium in 1 cup (240 mL).
16. Fish
Share on PinterestPhotography by Aya Brackett Photography by Aya Brackett
Certain lean and fatty fish offer potassium.
For example, just half a fillet (154 grams) of cooked cod provides 12% of the DV, and a whole fillet (150 grams) of haddock offers 11% (35Trusted Source, 36Trusted Source).
Similarly, half a fillet (154 grams) of cooked salmon has a whopping 21% of the DV, and the same serving of tuna boasts 17% of the DV (37Trusted Source, 38Trusted Source).
In addition, fatty fish such as salmon and tuna are rich in heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, which may further reduce your risk of heart disease (39Trusted Source).
Summary
Various lean and fatty fish species are excellent potassium sources. In addition, omega-3s in fish such as salmon and tuna may help reduce heart disease risk.
17. Yams
Yams are starchy tubers popular in South America, Western Africa, and the Caribbean. They’re very similar to yucca or cassava, but their flesh varies in color from yellowish-white to purple or pink.
Yams also happen to be rich in potassium, with 1 cooked, cubed cup (136 grams) providing 19% of the DV (40Trusted Source).
SUMMARY
A 1-cup serving (136 grams) of cooked yam provides more than twice as much potassium as a medium banana.
18. Salt substitutes
Salt substitutes were designed to help reduce sodium intake, because excess salt consumption may lead to high blood pressure (3Trusted Source, 41Trusted Source).
These substitutes replace sodium with another element or mix of elements — typically potassium — to reduce heart disease without reducing perceived salt intake or diminishing the taste (41Trusted Source).
Unlike regular salt, which is 100% sodium chloride, salt substitutes may be composed of 65% sodium chloride, 25% potassium chloride, and 10% magnesium sulfate. Others may offer 100% potassium chloride, which packs 11% of the DV in just 1 gram (41Trusted Source, 42Trusted Source).
However, keep in mind that people with kidney or liver disease may need to avoid salt substitutes that are high in potassium (43).
Summary
Salt substitutes consisting of 100% potassium chloride provide 11% of the DV for the mineral in a single gram.
How much potassium do you need?
Like other vitamins and minerals, potassium is a micronutrient, meaning that you need to consume it only in small amounts — think milligrams (mg).
As previously mentioned, vitamin and mineral needs are measured according to their Daily Values (DV), the recommended amounts to consume per day (2Trusted Source).
The DV for potassium for healthy individuals is 4,700 mg. You can consume this amount by following a wholesome, varied diet (2Trusted Source).
Many Western diets are low in potassium and high in sodium — two factors that can increase your risk of heart disease. However, eating foods from the list above may help you increase your potassium intake (44Trusted Source).
Frequently asked questions
How much potassium do you need each day?
For most people, the recommended daily intake for potassium is 4,700 mg (2Trusted Source).
What foods have highest potassium?
Foods that are good sources of potassium include dried fruit, lentils, spinach, sweet potatoes, and orange juice (1Trusted Source).
What increases potassium quickly?
Adding potassium to the diet or taking supplements, if a doctor recommends, can increase your potassium levels.
What are the signs of low potassium?
Early symptoms of low potassium include constipation, fatigue, muscle weakness, a general feeling of being unwell. A more severe deficiency can lead to an increase in diluted urine, muscular paralysis, and changes in heart rhythm, among other symptoms (1Trusted Source).
SUMMARY
The DV for potassium for healthy individuals is 4,700 mg, which you can reach by following a balanced diet.
The bottom line
Although bananas are a good source of potassium, many other nutritious foods, including sweet potatoes, legumes, and beets, offer more potassium per serving. Swiss chard, yams, and white beans even have twice as much potassium per cup as a medium banana.
The key to getting enough potassium is to eat a range of plant foods each day. Certain fish, such as salmon, tuna, and cod, are good animal-based sources of this mineral too.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:21:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhiPhiSix] [#12]
I pour some potassium (nusalt) in my coffee in the mornings and I take 100 mg of magnesium mornings and nights (I would take more but I eat lots of green vegetables).
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#13]
LMNT or Pickleball Cocktail
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#14]
That might just be a pump.

But yea get off keto. Eat some carbs, enjoy the increased testosterone levels, lift more weights, be healthier.

Fruits and veg ftw.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:41:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By RegularJoe58:
I’ve been doing keto for years and sporadically deal with muscle cramps after a workout and then using a muscle group for something else. For example, bicep/back day and then I have to carry something and my arm will cramp up.

No big deal until this week when I had a stomach bug. While throwing up, my abs locked up! It was quite comical.

I take a multivitamin each day but it’s not cutting it. So, what am I missing?
View Quote

Normal food
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I like Redmond Re-Lyte

Amazon Product
  • We developed Redmond Re-Lyte Hydration with a team of healthcare and fitness experts determined to create an effective, refreshing hydration mix you can feel good about drinking daily. Designed to support any and every lifestyle, this sugar-free blend of Redmond Real Salt and essential electrolytes contains everything you need to hydrate better, so you feel better. -Zero calories -Mixes easily -Optimal electrolyte ratio -Delicious taste

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Potassium is your friend. It may screw up your macros for a day or two, but I always made the concessions and had bananas. It was worth upsetting the apple cart to make the cramps go away.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Alwaysright:
Pickle juice.
View Quote

This. I get cramps in my legs at night, especially if I've drunk a lot of clear water. Wife gets me about a half-cup of pickle juice and 3 minutes later, cramps go away.

It's a little strange; 2 minutes after drinking the pickle juice, the cramps start to 'flutter,' then they go away.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:08:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mikepiet] [#19]
SaltStick caps.

Been my goto for over five years now. I find about three or four to be far more effective then powdered electrolytes.

In the summer time, I will take them before workouts and immediately after. I use to cramp really bad as I was a heavy user or pre-workout powders.

Anyways, this is my goto...

ETA - In a pinch, a couple spoons of mustard works great.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Magnesium and potassium.  Gatorade too.

View Quote
This
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:18:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Electrolytes many cheap ways to get them. I like LMNT. It’s pricey but everyone here is rich. The Lemon Lime and orange are the best flavors. I tried them all.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:20:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Magnesium and Potassium Aspartate supplement before bed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By dyezak:

Yea, electrolyte imbalances can really get to you.  Easy to increase sodium, just salt your food more.  But you need Magnesium and Potassium too.  Just be careful with the Mg, it's a laxitive.  
View Quote
I learned that the hard way. Magnesium citrate. It's the same stuff that's in the Colon Blow they give you for colonoscopy.
I thought I'd take them in the morning before working and sweating in the hot sun only to be squirting on the throne.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:23:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Salt and magnesium

Take a tablespoon of salt and 200 milligrams of magnesium daily
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Scott_In_OKC:
I like Redmond Re-Lyte

www.amazon.com/dp/B097QBZCVK
View Quote

I carry electrolyte packets in my briefcase.  Sometimes you need it right now and can't find a vending machine.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:30:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By macro:
Potassium is your friend. It may screw up your macros for a day or two, but I always made the concessions and had bananas. It was worth upsetting the apple cart to make the cramps go away.
View Quote

I love bananas, but they give me horrible, painful gas issues.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Some fruits n veggies are not keto.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Pickle juice.
View Quote

Yep.  I drink it before and after hockey games.  No cramps.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Pickle juice.
View Quote

This.  I like the sucker punch hydration shots.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Krampade for potassium.  Bananas have too much sugar for a regular diet, much less keto.  Be careful with the Krampade dosage at first, it has enough potassium that it may imbalance sodium and magnesium so go slow and figure it out.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Magnesium
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:23:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Glutamine
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:23:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#36]
I can't remember exactly, but I think it's suggested to have a 1:1 potassium to sodium ratio.

Get a calorie/macro counting app and diligently build rhe micro nutrients to the food you're eating, then it's pretty simple to just add in the servings to the app.

I don't do keto, but when I have in the past I would usually hit around 3000mg potassium. Just make sure you're eating a lot of veggies and there's good amounts of potassium in meats. You might be able to throw in 100g or so of potatoes to go with eggs in the mornings, depending on how few carbs you're trying to hit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:26:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: corwin1968] [#37]
This stuff works really well.  It's not cheap but you administer it in drops, so a bottle goes a long way.  Too much will cause metallic smelling bazooka shits, but that only happens if you multiply the recommended dose.  It's never happened when used as directed.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Lots to read. Thanks guys.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#39]
have you tried Midol?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:06:58 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Magnesium and potassium.  

Exactly this.  You likely get plenty of sodium.  Next you normally see magnesium recommended but when I tried it it only took a few days to see the laxative effects.  Potassium turned out to be the solution along with B6.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:17:37 PM EDT
[#41]
One side effect I had no one ever mentioned in the keto primers was bouts of blurred vision. Turns out it’s a lack of potassium thing. It was scary. People mentioned Morton’s Light Salt to make “keto-ade” as it uses potassium chloride to reduce your salt intake. Started using it to make a pedialyte level drink each day with those Mios flavors. Immediately cured vision.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:39:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By RegularJoe58:
. While throwing up, my abs locked up!

I take a multivitamin each day but it's not cutting it. So, what am I missing?
View Quote
Salt.
No shit.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:09:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Miles_Urbanus:
Electrolytes many cheap ways to get them. I like LMNT. It’s pricey but everyone here is rich. The Lemon Lime and orange are the best flavors. I tried them all.
View Quote

^^^ This^^^^

except the wife and I like the Rasberry and Watermelon
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:15:55 AM EDT
[#44]
I do LMNT every other day or so.  Gives me salt and magnesium.  

You can add some NoSalt to the mixture for a Potassium boost.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:31:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By callgood:
Typically, potassium pills have only 3% of the potassium you need daily.

Food Sources of Potassium
Many of the foods that you already eat have potassium in them. If you need to boost the amount in your diet, you can choose healthy foods including:
•Bananas, oranges, cantaloupes, honeydew, apricots, grapefruit (some dried fruits, such as prunes, raisins, and dates, are also high in potassium)
•Cooked spinach
•Cooked broccoli
•Potatoes
•Sweet potatoes
•Mushrooms
•Peas
•Cucumbers
•Zucchini
•Pumpkins
•Leafy greens
Juice from potassium-rich fruits is also a good choice:
•Orange juice
•Tomato juice
•Prune juice
•Apricot juice
•Grapefruit juice
Certain dairy products, such as milk and yogurt, are good sources of potassium (consider low-fat or fat-free).
Some fish contain potassium:
•Tuna
•Halibut
•Cod
•Trout
•Rockfish
Beans and legumes that are high in potassium include:
•Lima beans
•Pinto beans
•Kidney beans
•Soybeans
•Lentils
Other foods with potassium include:
•Salt substitutes (read labels to check their potassium levels)
•Molasses
•Nuts
•Meat and poultry
•Brown and wild rice
•Bran cereal
•Whole-wheat bread and pasta
18 Foods That Pack More Potassium Than a Banana
•High-potassium foods
•How much potassium do you need?
•FAQ
•Bottom line
Bananas may be known as potassium-rich foods, but you can also get potassium from avocados, sweet potatoes, spinach, coconut water, and other delicious food and drinks.
Potassium is a vital mineral and electrolyte that your body needs to maintain normal blood pressure, transport nutrients into your cells, and support healthy nerve and muscle function (1Trusted Source).

It’s considered an essential nutrient because your body can’t produce it. Therefore, you must get potassium from foods to meet your recommended daily needs, also known as the Daily Value (DV) (2Trusted Source).

However, most people don’t get enough potassium through their diets. It’s estimated that less than 0.015% of American adults meet their daily potassium needs (3Trusted Source).

Since a medium banana contains around 9% of the DV for this mineral, most people consider it the go-to food to increase their potassium intake. However, bananas are not the only good source of potassium (4Trusted Source).

A list of high-potassium foods

Here are 18 foods that pack more potassium than a banana.
1. Avocados
Avocados are packed with healthy fats, vitamin K, and folate.
Half an avocado without the skin and seed (68 grams) contains 345 mg of potassium, or 7% of the DV. If you eat a whole avocado, you’ll get almost 15% of the DV at once (5Trusted Source).

What’s more, avocados may benefit people with high blood pressure, who often need to increase their potassium and reduce their sodium intake. Like most other fruits, avocados are low in sodium, with half an avocado providing just 0.2% of the DV (1Trusted Source, 3Trusted Source, 5Trusted Source).

SUMMARY
Avocados are packed with nutrients, and one avocado provides roughly 15% of your daily potassium needs. They’re also rich in vitamin K and folate.
2. Sweet potatoes
Sweet potatoes are often used as an alternative to white potatoes.

They’re an exceptionally nutritious way to support your potassium intake. A 1-cup (328-gram) serving of mashed sweet potato boasts 16% of the DV (6Trusted Source).

What’s more, sweet potatoes are low in fat, offer a small amount of protein, and are a good source of complex carbs and fiber.

They’re also an excellent source of vitamin A, which is critical for vision. The same serving of sweet potatoes provides more than 200% of the DV of vitamin A (1Trusted Source, 6Trusted Source, 7Trusted Source).

For a balanced and filling meal, you can pair these delicious root vegetables with a protein source such as beans or meat, some dark greens or colorful vegetables, and a little fat.
SUMMARY
Sweet potatoes boast 16% of the DV for potassium in just 1 mashed cup (328 grams), plus some protein, fiber, and vitamin A.
3. Spinach
Spinach is one of the most nutrient-dense vegetables.
Just 1 cup (190 grams) of frozen spinach packs 12% of the DV for potassium. Similarly, about 3 cups (90 grams) of raw spinach contain roughly 11% of the DV (8Trusted Source, 9Trusted Source).
It’s also loaded with other nutrients. The same serving of frozen spinach contains 127% of the DV for vitamin A, 857% for vitamin K, 58% for folate, and 37% for magnesium (1Trusted Source, 8Trusted Source).
SUMMARY
Spinach provides about 12% of the DV for potassium per 1 cup (190 grams) frozen or 3 cups (90 grams) fresh. This vegetable also offers folate, magnesium, and vitamins A and K.
4. Watermelon
Share on PinterestIrina ShpillerGetty Images
Watermelon is a large, delicious fruit with high water content.
Just 2 wedges (about 1/8 of a melon, or 572 grams) provides just under 14% of the DV for potassium (1Trusted Source, 10Trusted Source).
The same serving also contains 44 grams of carbs, 3.5 grams of protein, 0.8 grams of fat, and 2.2 grams of fiber. What’s more, this lush, red melon is a great source of magnesium and vitamins A and C (10Trusted Source).
SUMMARY
Watermelon is a tasty summertime fruit that provides about 14% of the DV for potassium in just 2 wedges. It also offers several other vitamins and minerals.
5. Coconut water
Coconut water is a particularly hydrating drink.
It’s an excellent natural alternative to sports drinks, as it contains key electrolytes that help draw water into your cells. Its natural sugars also provide energy during exercise and help replenish lost glycogen stores afterward (11Trusted Source).
Just 1 cup (240 mL) of coconut water contains 13% of the DV for potassium. Plus, it’s a good source of magnesium, sodium, and manganese (1Trusted Source, 12Trusted Source).
Coconut water is very refreshing when served chilled with ice after a sweaty workout. Just make sure to avoid varieties with added sugar.
SUMMARY
Coconut water is not only a great hydrating drink but also an excellent source of potassium, containing 13% of the DV in just 1 cup (240 mL). It’s also a good source of magnesium, sodium, and manganese.
6. Beans
Beans are a nutritious source of complex carbs and plant-based protein.
Just 1 cup (179 grams) of white beans has twice as much potassium as a banana, clocking in at a whopping 21% of the DV. The same serving of black beans provides 13% of the DV (1Trusted Source, 13Trusted Source, 14Trusted Source).
While black beans contain phytates — an antinutrient that may reduce your body’s mineral absorption — you can soak dried beans overnight to help reduce their phytate content, as this compound will leach into the water (15Trusted Source).
Both white and black beans are incredibly versatile and easy to add to salads, burritos, and stews.
SUMMARY
Beans are a terrific source of potassium. While white beans pack more potassium than black beans, both are delicious ways to add more of this mineral to your diet.
7. Legumes
Aside from beans, the legume family includes lentils, chickpeas, soybeans, and peanuts — all of which are high in potassium.
For instance, a 1-cup (198-gram) serving of lentils packs 15% of the DV for the mineral, while the same serving of chickpeas, soybeans, and peanuts provide 10%, 19%, and 23% of the DV, respectively (16Trusted Source, 17Trusted Source, 18Trusted Source, 19Trusted Source).
Certain legumes, such as lentils and chickpeas, contain phytates. Therefore, remember to soak them overnight to reduce their phytate content. You can also try sprouting them (15Trusted Source).
SUMMARY
Legumes such as lentils, chickpeas, soybeans, and peanuts are rich in potassium. Soaking or sprouting them before eating them may improve mineral absorption.
8. Tomato paste
Tomato paste is made from cooked tomatoes that have been peeled and seeded.
Just 3 tablespoons (50 grams) contain more than 10% of the DV. Tomato paste is also a good source of vitamin C and lycopene, a potent antioxidant with cancer-fighting properties (1Trusted Source, 20Trusted Source, 21Trusted Source).
This concentrated condiment adds flavor to all tomato-based sauces and dishes, but watch out for products that have added sugars, additives, or preservatives. You may want to pick the product with the fewest ingredients.
Summary
Tomato paste not only enriches the taste of your food but also provides ample amounts of potassium. Just 3 tablespoons (50 grams) pack around 10% of the DV.
9. Butternut squash
Share on PinterestClaudia Totir/Getty Images
Butternut squash is a sweet-tasting winter squash. While technically a fruit, it’s cooked like a root vegetable.
Just 1 cup (205 grams) provides 12% of the DV for potassium. It’s also a great source of vitamins A and C and has smaller amounts of B vitamins, vitamin E, and magnesium (1Trusted Source, 22Trusted Source).
You can easily roast, boil, steam, or chop butternut squash for dishes such as baked veggies or hearty soups.
Summary
Butternut squash is a great source of potassium, boasting 12% of the DV in a single cup (205 grams).
10. Potatoes
Potatoes are a starchy root vegetable that remains a staple food in numerous countries.
One medium boiled potato (167 grams) offers 12% of the DV for potassium (1Trusted Source, 23Trusted Source).
However, there are many varieties of potatoes, and their potassium content may depend on the soil in which they’re grown.
Summary
Potatoes are rich in potassium and are a staple in many households. One medium spud typically provides 12% of the DV for this mineral.
How to peel potatoes
11. Dried apricots
Dried apricots have a long shelf life and are usually pitted. Just 1/2 cup (65 grams) provides 16% of the DV for potassium (1Trusted Source, 24Trusted Source).
These fruits are also a good source of fiber and vitamins A and E (24Trusted Source).
Dried apricots are delicious mixed into muesli or as a healthy snack for hikes or camping trips.
Summary
Dried apricots are a great alternative to bananas for a potassium boost. Just 1/2 cup packs 16% of the DV, as well as fiber and vitamins A and E.
12. Swiss chard
Swiss chard, also known as silverbeet or simply chard, is a leafy green vegetable with a thick stalk that ranges from red to orange to white in color.
It’s also highly nutritious. Just 1 cup (175 grams) of cooked chard offers 20% of the DV for potassium — more than double the potassium in a banana (1Trusted Source, 25Trusted Source).
The same serving packs 476% of the DV for vitamin K and 60% of the DV for vitamin A, all while being low in calories and high in fiber (25Trusted Source).
Swiss chard makes a delicious base for salads and is easy to steam or saute with a little oil.
Summary
Swiss chard contains more than twice as much potassium per cooked cup (175 grams) as a banana — about 20% of the DV.
13. Beets
Share on PinterestMiquel Llonch/Stocksy United
Just 1 cup (170 grams) of boiled beets gives you 11% of the DV for potassium (1Trusted Source, 26Trusted Source).
Plus, this root vegetable contains nitrates, which have been shown to support blood vessel function and overall heart health when converted into nitric oxide in your body (27Trusted Source).
Beets are also an excellent source of folate — a vitamin needed for DNA synthesis and repair — with 1 boiled cup (170 grams) providing 34% of the DV (26Trusted Source, 28Trusted Source).
You can eat beets boiled, pickled, or raw.
Summary
Beets provide 11% of the DV for potassium per boiled cup (170 grams). They’re also a good source of folate and contain nitrates, which have been shown to support heart health.
14. Pomegranate
Pomegranates are an extremely healthy, many-seeded fruit that vary in color from red to purple. One whole fruit (282 grams) gives you 14% of the DV for potassium (29Trusted Source).
Moreover, pomegranates are packed with folate and vitamins C and K. They also pack more protein than most other fruits, at 4.7 grams per fruit (282 grams) (29Trusted Source).
Summary
Pomegranates offer 14% of the DV for potassium, as well as sizable amounts of folate, fiber, protein, and vitamins C and K.
15. Fruit and vegetable juices
Drinking fruit and vegetable juices is another easy way to increase your potassium intake.
Citrus juices seem to provide the most potassium (3Trusted Source).
For example, 1 cup (240 mL) of 100% orange juice offers about 10% of the DV for potassium, while the same serving of grapefruit juice provides 9% of the DV (30Trusted Source, 31Trusted Source).
Juices from potassium-rich fruits such as pomegranates are also great alternatives. A 1-cup (240-mL) serving of pomegranate juice packs 11% of the DV (32Trusted Source).
Some vegetable juices are also rich in this mineral.
For instance, 1 cup (240 mL) of carrot juice boasts 15% of the DV, and the same serving of tomato juice provides 10% of the DV (33Trusted Source, 34Trusted Source).
Summary
Fruit and veggie juices such as orange, grapefruit, pomegranate, carrot, and tomato juice all provide 9% or more of the DV for potassium in 1 cup (240 mL).
16. Fish
Share on PinterestPhotography by Aya Brackett Photography by Aya Brackett
Certain lean and fatty fish offer potassium.
For example, just half a fillet (154 grams) of cooked cod provides 12% of the DV, and a whole fillet (150 grams) of haddock offers 11% (35Trusted Source, 36Trusted Source).
Similarly, half a fillet (154 grams) of cooked salmon has a whopping 21% of the DV, and the same serving of tuna boasts 17% of the DV (37Trusted Source, 38Trusted Source).
In addition, fatty fish such as salmon and tuna are rich in heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, which may further reduce your risk of heart disease (39Trusted Source).
Summary
Various lean and fatty fish species are excellent potassium sources. In addition, omega-3s in fish such as salmon and tuna may help reduce heart disease risk.
17. Yams
Yams are starchy tubers popular in South America, Western Africa, and the Caribbean. They’re very similar to yucca or cassava, but their flesh varies in color from yellowish-white to purple or pink.
Yams also happen to be rich in potassium, with 1 cooked, cubed cup (136 grams) providing 19% of the DV (40Trusted Source).
SUMMARY
A 1-cup serving (136 grams) of cooked yam provides more than twice as much potassium as a medium banana.
18. Salt substitutes
Salt substitutes were designed to help reduce sodium intake, because excess salt consumption may lead to high blood pressure (3Trusted Source, 41Trusted Source).
These substitutes replace sodium with another element or mix of elements — typically potassium — to reduce heart disease without reducing perceived salt intake or diminishing the taste (41Trusted Source).
Unlike regular salt, which is 100% sodium chloride, salt substitutes may be composed of 65% sodium chloride, 25% potassium chloride, and 10% magnesium sulfate. Others may offer 100% potassium chloride, which packs 11% of the DV in just 1 gram (41Trusted Source, 42Trusted Source).
However, keep in mind that people with kidney or liver disease may need to avoid salt substitutes that are high in potassium (43).
Summary
Salt substitutes consisting of 100% potassium chloride provide 11% of the DV for the mineral in a single gram.
How much potassium do you need?
Like other vitamins and minerals, potassium is a micronutrient, meaning that you need to consume it only in small amounts — think milligrams (mg).
As previously mentioned, vitamin and mineral needs are measured according to their Daily Values (DV), the recommended amounts to consume per day (2Trusted Source).
The DV for potassium for healthy individuals is 4,700 mg. You can consume this amount by following a wholesome, varied diet (2Trusted Source).
Many Western diets are low in potassium and high in sodium — two factors that can increase your risk of heart disease. However, eating foods from the list above may help you increase your potassium intake (44Trusted Source).
Frequently asked questions
How much potassium do you need each day?
For most people, the recommended daily intake for potassium is 4,700 mg (2Trusted Source).
What foods have highest potassium?
Foods that are good sources of potassium include dried fruit, lentils, spinach, sweet potatoes, and orange juice (1Trusted Source).
What increases potassium quickly?
Adding potassium to the diet or taking supplements, if a doctor recommends, can increase your potassium levels.
What are the signs of low potassium?
Early symptoms of low potassium include constipation, fatigue, muscle weakness, a general feeling of being unwell. A more severe deficiency can lead to an increase in diluted urine, muscular paralysis, and changes in heart rhythm, among other symptoms (1Trusted Source).
SUMMARY
The DV for potassium for healthy individuals is 4,700 mg, which you can reach by following a balanced diet.
The bottom line
Although bananas are a good source of potassium, many other nutritious foods, including sweet potatoes, legumes, and beets, offer more potassium per serving. Swiss chard, yams, and white beans even have twice as much potassium per cup as a medium banana.
The key to getting enough potassium is to eat a range of plant foods each day. Certain fish, such as salmon, tuna, and cod, are good animal-based sources of this mineral too.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:33:53 AM EDT
[#46]
I drink an electrolyte powder, don't have an issues after adding that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:34:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:36:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: crashburnrepeat] [#48]
These work great. It's several electrolytes that are suggested in several of these posts, all combined in one.

We use these to stop the cramps but also if you really heavily exert yourself, these help a lot.

You just drop a few drops in whatever you are drinking, can't taste it at all. I just chuck a few drops in water and can't tell it's there

Keto drops
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:20:15 PM EDT
[#49]
I just got the LyteShow drops in and downed a dose. From comparing all of your suggestions, it seemed to have the most electrolytes per serving.
I lifted and ran today so I’ve already felt some muscle cramps when wrestling with the kids this afternoon.

I’ll update with results in the next few days
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top