Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2024 2:26:19 PM EDT
Going to Tokyo tomorrow. I would like to find a good set of Japanese cooking knives.  Which ones should I be on the look out for?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:32:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tarheel7734] [#1]
Western or Japanese handle and what budget?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:42:34 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a 5 block long shopping warehouse in Osaka that has thousands. I'm happy with my Shun knives, but there are better...and more expensive. Below are a drop in the bucket that I saw in Osaka.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Kitchen Knife Forum
There's lots of info there, but it would take lomger to wade through than you have.  It's hard to make a recommendation, not knowing what's available
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:52:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Consigli] [#4]
Before you go Jap, why not Cutco?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:22:15 PM EDT
[#5]
We have several MAC knives that we just got re-sharpened and they are the bomb.  Ours are all Original Series but I would be checking out their newer styles as well if I needed to replace them.

https://www.macknife.com/collections/original-series
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Consigli:
Before you go Jap, why not Cutco?
View Quote

Well, I have to go lol.  With the exchange rate i can save some money buying there.  My Boss saved a grand on a Louis Vatan purse 2 weeks ago.  I would say 400 to 500$ budget.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:15:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tarheel7734] [#7]
Originally Posted By billynilly:

Well, I have to go lol.  With the exchange rate i can save some money buying there.  My Boss saved a grand on a Louis Vatan purse 2 weeks ago.  I would say 400 to 500$ budget.
View Quote

Cutco are garbage knives.. pretty sure that was a joke post..

With a budget of 500 or so, look up some of the sword makers. You might be able to get a Tamahagane knife from one of the great sword makers. Many make kitchen knives for most of their income as swords are usually special orders and pretty expensive, usually around 10k and take a lot of time.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Make sure it's dishwasher safe.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:20:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Going to Tokyo tomorrow. I would like to find a good set of Japanese cooking knives.  Which ones should I be on the look out for?
View Quote

I’m lusting over the Masamoto KS and Miyabi Birchwoods. Don’t know which one I’ll end up with but it’ll be one or the other.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:27:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:35:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By fisherman:
Make sure it's dishwasher safe.
View Quote

You monster.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:46:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USAF_Hk] [#12]
View Quote

I live in Tokyo and I buy my kitchen tools on Kappabashi Kitchen Tools Street

For knives I like this place. Tokuzo  Their prices are reasonable and their selection runs from very basic to rather nice.

There are a ton of knife shops in Kappabashi, you can easily spend a day going from one to the next.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I’ve been very happy with these. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:24:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Triggerstuck] [#14]
Korean made. Andrew Meers, MS

" />
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:40:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66] [#15]
Originally Posted By tarheel7734:

Cutco are garbage knives.. pretty sure that was a joke post..

With a budget of 500 or so, look up some of the sword makers. You might be able to get a Tamahagane knife from one of the great sword makers. Many make kitchen knives for most of their income as swords are usually special orders and pretty expensive, usually around 10k and take a lot of time.
View Quote

Hey!   My employer used to make the 440C stainless for cutco knives,
I think we last made any about four years ago,   Tricky grade, could be brittle as glass if critical temps were missed.

There used to be a company called Japan Woodworker and they carried lots of Japanese chef knives too, but they got bought out I think by woodcraft, and they don't carry any of that stuff anymore.
There was also a company called hida tools - they sold high edn craftsman made Japanese hand tools, and knives
https://hidatool.com/list/c/cutlery-and-kitchen
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:45:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JQ66:

Hey!   My employer used to make the 440C stainless for cutco knives,
I think we last made any about four years ago,   Tricky grade, could be brittle as glass if critical temps were missed.

There used to be a company called Japan Woodworker and they carried lots of Japanese chef knives too, but they got bought out I think by woodcraft, and they don't carry any of that stuff anymore.
There was also a company called hida tools or somesuch.  Not sure if they are srill in business.
View Quote

You should look into https://japanesechefsknife.com/ and https://www.chefknivestogo.com/  Both are excellent suppliers of Japanese knives and acessories.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:41:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:52:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fushaw] [#18]

View Quote

A good 210-240mm gyuto and petty knife can be had for that amount. That does about 95% of my kitchen work.

I much prefer the Japanese wa handles and also prefer carbon steel over SS knives.

They require extra care but the hardness keeps them sharp for a long time and I enjoy the work of maintaining a knife (drying it after using, oiling the handle, touching up on whetstones occasionally)

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:11:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BamBam-31] [#19]
You really have to read up on the differences between Japanese and Western knives.  Know the difference between carbon (shirogami, aogami, etc.) and stainless (vg10, sg2, etc.) steels, single bevels (traditional Japanese knives like debas and yanagibas) vs. double bevels (Western style gyuto, santoku, bunka, etc.).  Do you sharpen your kitchen knives yourself?  Lots of Japanese whetstones to choose from over there, both synthetic and natural.    

If you're the type that doesn't sharpen knives yourself, keep to Western style knives made from stainless steels.  Lots of choices for those, from off the shelf to full custom artisan knives.  Obviously, in the end the knives are tools.  Buy the ones that best fit how you prep and cook, or you will end up with expensive kitchen decorations.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:18:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By BamBam-31:
You really have to read up on the differences between Japanese and Western knives.  Know the difference between carbon (shirogami, aogami, etc.) and stainless (vg10, sg2, etc.) steels, single bevels (traditional Japanese knives like debas and yanagibas) vs. double bevels (Western style gyuto, santoku, bunka, etc.).  Do you sharpen your kitchen knives yourself?  Lots of Japanese whetstones to choose from over there, both synthetic and natural.    

If you're the type that doesn't sharpen knives yourself, keep to Western style knives made from stainless steels.  Lots of choices for those, from off the shelf to full custom artisan knives.  Obviously, in the end the knives are tools.  Buy the ones that best fit how you prep and cook, or you will end up with expensive kitchen decorations.
View Quote

Actually, I want to get into Japanese kitchen knives too. Good knives make food prep almost fun. But I'm guessing you first need to become proficient at the use of water stones. Correct?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:23:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Consigli:

Actually, I want to get into Japanese kitchen knives too. Good knives make food prep almost fun. But I'm guessing you first need to become proficient at the use of water stones. Correct?
View Quote

I learned as I went. I got two Japanese stones and practiced on some crappy knives first. Pretty easy once you get the hang of it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:48:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BamBam-31] [#22]
Be careful what you wish for.  It can be yet another expensive hobby.  

I would say learning how to sharpen knives yourself is a prerequisite.  It sucks bringing your $300 knives to a sharpener every 6 months at $25 per just to keep them popping.  When you don't, your $300 knives are no different than $3 Walmart knives.  

You don't really need dozens of stones (guilty), nor do you need the expensive ones (guilty).  One medium grit (1k), plus a fine grit (5k-6K) are necessary.  A coarse stone (250-400) is nice for new knives, but I'd put money into a diamond leveling plate for the other two stones and a leather strop before buying a coarse stone.  Shapton Pro is my latest favorite line, but Naniwa Chosera, Suehiro, King, etc., all make nice synthetic stones.  

Lots of videos on YT on how to.  As mentioned, pratice on a cheapy knife first.  Focus on a consistent hold (muscle memory) more than an exact 16.345 degree hold.  Consistency is key, as is the patience and attention to detail of an old hand.  It's not hard, just takes practice.  

Oh, and don't buy knife SETS.  Buy individual knives and make your own set.  Try different makers.  As mentioned, a gyuto and petty are a good start.  A nakiri or santoku would definitely be on the list as well.  That should cover 90%+ of kitchen needs.  

Good luck, and have fun!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:57:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Fushaw:

I learned as I went. I got two Japanese stones and practiced on some crappy knives first. Pretty easy once you get the hang of it.
View Quote

I use shapton pro stones. They only require surface water and no soaking. They perform really well. Think I have a 1k,2k,5k, and 8k as I don't have mt 15k anymore. I also have a dmt xxc or xc I use to flatten my stones.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:00:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 1969GTX:
There is a 5 block long shopping warehouse in Osaka that has thousands. I'm happy with my Shun knives, but there are better...and more expensive. Below are a drop in the bucket that I saw in Osaka.
https://i.postimg.cc/vHDg6xtr/20230826-135153.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/GmGpkF8y/20230826-135234.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/d1ttPgW2/20230826-135354.jpg
View Quote

Would trigger heart attacks in the UK.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:53:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:21:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By tarheel7734:

I use shapton pro stones. They only require surface water and no soaking. They perform really well. Think I have a 1k,2k,5k, and 8k as I don't have mt 15k anymore. I also have a dmt xxc or xc I use to flatten my stones.
View Quote

I just have a 2 shapton stone set in 1k and 5k.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:01:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fushaw] [#27]
One of the other reasons I love many Japanese knives is that they are still handmade.

There's some "cool factor" in picking up a knife that wasn't just punched out of sheet metal in a factory, but rather hammered and shaped by a human.

Japanese Knife Making: Itsuo Doi Workshop Tour, Hand Forging & Grinding Kitchen Knives

This is the guy that made my petty knife.
Top Top