Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2023 10:49:47 PM EDT
Some may remember a thread last year where I built asylum doors and a haunted house.  We will be doing another haunted house using the asylum from last year, getting rid of the clowns, and adding a swamp (created with lasers) a fire hallway (also created with lasers), a monster in a box and a new nurse escape door.  The monster and nurse will be pneumatic operated, something new for me.

I will post randomly through Halloween as I work on the projects.

This is the Monster in a Box crate.  It was made with the cheapest 1x6 fence boards, survey stakes, a 2x4 and a 2x2.  Nothing complicated, just some pocket screw joinery on the frames then screwing on the fence board slats.  It will be weathered/aged, along with the chains and other metal. The monster video will play on the screen.  It is coded to activate the pneumatics that will bounce the top open and closed an 1” or so, which will allow fog and light to escape.  The action is synced with the monster hitting his back on the lid.

Attachment Attached File

The beginnings of the weathering.  Minwax Golden Oak stain covered with Minwax Classic Gray, then wiped after about 10 minutes.

Attachment Attached File

This is kind of what the monster video looks like.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 11:06:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Badass! Looking forward to this.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:44:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Neighbors across the street are putting stuff out now.

Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:38:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Geez, neighbors a block away have already put up orange "Halloween" lights and decor. Its way too early for that. Highs are still in the 90s here. At least wait until after the Autumn Equinox on Sept 21 or 22 to start that crap.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 12:28:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spleenless-Dave] [#4]
Lowe's and Home Depot had their Halloween stuff up, and I was checking it out yesterday.  I'm tempted to buy the wolf skeleton that is full sized and howls and lights up with LED's just for shits and grins to put on the porch.  I've got a couple of old cosmetology mannequin heads a woman I used to go to for haircuts gave me for Halloween displays I could hang up by the hair but that might freak out some neighbors.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I love this!

I vend at a haunted house every Friday and Saturday in October.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:16:15 AM EDT
[#6]
A couple flashback pictures from last year.  But, don’t fret, all the building is in the privacy of my garage, so no neighbors will be prematurely exposed to Halloween.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#7]
You need a Scare Wolf
Scare Wolf Animatronic Werewolf Prop Shakes Savagely by Distortions Unlimited

Link Posted: 9/12/2023 1:05:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RLR350] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PAspeedmaster:
You need a Scare Wolf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILdDCqog9oI

View Quote

They make some great stuff, but very expensive.  We recreated their “Shock and Awe” beheading last year.  We will use it for photo ops for trick or treaters this year, so they can behead their parents.

"Shock and Awe" Beheading Illusion

Our version:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 1:08:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Got side tracked making walls for a shooting match.  Back at the Halloween stuff this week.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 8:09:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Made some progress hooking up the air and fog.  Started adding  burns, rust and stuff to the exterior.  I’m waiting on a specific media player to finish up. It should be here tomorrow.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:48:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Pretty much done.  Just need some “shipping labels” and a motion sensor to trigger the action when someone approaches.

Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:56:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RLR350] [#12]
The rear controls.  I have it all powered through the power strip so it just takes one switch to turn everything on.  I spliced into the fog machine and light to hook them into the decoder.  The decoder receives signals from the video (via the left audio channel) that are not heard.  The signals activate the pneumatic cylinder, light and fog.  Once I receive the motion trigger, when someone approaches the box the video will start, triggering the action.

Attachment Attached File

The inside guts.  The cardboard is blocking the fog/moisture from the rear of the TV monitor.  I put a small USB fan in the bottom to push the fog out the top and side vent holes.  I  put a 1.5” hole in the front/upper corner on each side to get more fog to escape.  A funny byproduct is they create smoke rings when the lid slams shut.  You can see the effect on the left side of the video above.

Attachment Attached File

A picture of the front:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/20/2023 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#13]
On to the next prop.  This is called Nurse Escape.  It will be an “Employees Only” door inside of the waiting room of the asylum.  Through a window in the door a nurse is trying to escape, but is captured by an escaped mental patient.  She shakes the door handle while screaming “let me out, they’ve escaped” and gets her head smashed against the window, breaking it.  Blood or non blood versions.

I’m using 1/4” ply, some 2”x2” boards and a few 1”x2” boards.  This one is just off the top of my head, no plans.  It will look like any typical windowed door in a school or hospital, but dirty/used.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/22/2023 10:31:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Rosta97 can build a cabin in the backcountry of Alaska faster than I’m doing these projects.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/22/2023 10:17:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 10:17:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RLR350] [#16]
Here is the finished door.  We ordered a water sprayer that will blast a mist at the viewers when the bad guy slams the nurse’s head into the glass. It will be like blood spraying. This door will be in a brick wall of the asylum waiting room.

Link Posted: 9/23/2023 11:25:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 11:02:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Building out the back of the Haunted House.

The path through the house is an upside down “U.”  It is in a single car garage.  To the left is the entrance and the right is an exit.  They will eventually be divide by a wall.  The asylum is in the rear and has three rooms.  The front will contain a swamp to enter and a fire wall to exit, both created with lasers and fog.
Attachment Attached File

This is the second room.  The pipes on the ceiling will be painted.  They have fog pumped into them to create “leaks.”
Attachment Attached File

This is the first room, the waiting room with the Nurse Escape door.  The next picture is the rear of the door to see how it works.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The plumbing for fog coming out of vents and pipes.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#19]
A quick update.  The “blood spitter” is installed and adds a nice effect to the nurse door.  Better than expected.  A surprise spray of water just as the guy smashes the nurses head into the glass and blood splatters.  It ejects through a little tube that can be seen in the center of the top door trim.  I also got the sensor to work so as a person walks into the room the video starts.

Attachment Attached File

Finished up the asylum cell areas.  This picture is with a flash, but looks better in the dim, flickering lights.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 11:20:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Fun
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 1:26:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#22]
That is some of the cleanest looking internal workings of a homemade prop I've ever seen. Better than professional built. Incredible work.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 10:22:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RLR350] [#23]
The laser swamp is done.  Hard to see the effect in pictures, but the fog swirls and appears to be water.  When it’s dark, you can’t see through the green layer to see what’s below.  It’s the perfect place for some dead creature to hang out and pop up at an appropriate time.  

Attachment Attached File

And we were able to get some neat side wall backgrounds leftover from the Halloween display at the local big box store.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 10:12:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Another .
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 10:30:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Amazing work

Tell me more about the laser swamp?
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 1:05:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By DMG-LDS:
Amazing work

Tell me more about the laser swamp?
View Quote

We saw it at a Halloween convention in Long Beach, Ca. The laser creates a flat beam that can be cast horizontal or vertical, or anything in between.  For the swamp, they are horizontal.  The lasers mount at whatever height you want the swamp. They work best pointed towards the viewer.  The area gets filled with fog.  The lasers creates a flat green (whatever color laser) layer.  The fog appears to move and swirl, like water.  If done right, it is a great effect.  Also, as I mentioned, in the dark with just the laser, you can’t see through to below the flat beam, so a person or object can hide under the “swamp” and pop up.

We have another room using the same effect, but with red lasers and they are mounted vertical is stead of horizontal.  We use two lasers on the side walls creating a hallway of “fire.”  I’ll post some pictures once it’s in operation.

Here is a person popping up from under the swamp.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 1:44:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By RLR350:

We saw it at a Halloween convention in Long Beach, Ca. The laser creates a flat beam that can be cast horizontal or vertical, or anything in between.  For the swamp, they are horizontal.  The lasers mount at whatever height you want the swamp. They work best pointed towards the viewer.  The area gets filled with fog.  The lasers creates a flat green (whatever color laser) layer.  The fog appears to move and swirl, like water.  If done right, it is a great effect.  Also, as I mentioned, in the dark with just the laser, you can’t see through to below the flat beam, so a person or object can hide under the “swamp” and pop up.

We have another room using the same effect, but with red lasers and they are mounted vertical is stead of horizontal.  We use two lasers on the side walls creating a hallway of “fire.”  I’ll post some pictures once it’s in operation.

Here is a person popping up from under the swamp.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/188107/IMG_2313_jpeg-2994681.JPG
View Quote

thats awesome

what laser do i buy, will i have it in time foe halloween?

I need this
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 1:55:09 AM EDT
[#28]
holy crap this is amazing!! i remember last years stuff you did!
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 12:11:12 AM EDT
[#29]

thats awesome

I need this
View Quote

I bought mine from a vendor at the convention, but I just ordered two more red ones from Froggy’s Fog.  Go to their site and search “laser.”  They have full kits with fog machines, but they are not cheap. Individual lasers are about $80.  You need at least two for a small swamp.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 12:22:44 AM EDT
[#30]
One week left before our party!  I’m down to tedious stuff.  I spent an entire FSU football game re wiring the control panel.  My wife reprogrammed the Rasberry pi so the program runs when power comes on, which is much easier than last year when we had to use a keyboard to start it each time.  It is just flashing lights, nothing more, but time consuming.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 12:28:51 AM EDT
[#31]
I’m working on the final room.  This will have the red lasers on either side to create the fire hallway effect.  Just waiting on the last two lasers to arrive.  I also started on the brick columns for the outside entrance.  Once they are done I just need to create a couple of PVC and black plastic vestibules so guests enter a dark room before entering the swamp.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/19/2023 2:46:56 AM EDT
[#32]

I bought mine from a vendor at the convention, but I just ordered two more red ones from Froggy’s Fog.  Go to their site and search “laser.”  They have full kits with fog machines, but they are not cheap. Individual lasers are about $80.  You need at least two for a small swamp.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

thats awesome

I need this

thx i just ordered two lasers

ill try them out
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 2:49:03 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm bummed we're already so close to the end of the month. It goes too fast.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Bravo everyone!  Bravo!
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 10:59:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RLR350] [#35]
The inferno hallway.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 4:15:14 AM EDT
[#36]
this is freaking amazing! really enjoy your halloween projects
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 5:55:08 AM EDT
[#37]

ill try them out
View Quote

I see you are in AZ.

Have you played with fog machines before? You are going to want to build a “chiller” for best effect. Just look up DIY fog chillers and choose a design that uses stuff you already own.
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#39]
I think this work and creativity is impressive.

I dont get why so much time and energy would get dumped into Halloween though. I have never understood it beyond a carved pumpkin. Never been a scary movie fan though or even into costumes.

I am genuinely curious what it is about Halloween that gets folks excited.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 12:36:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By BigFatDog:

I see you are in AZ.

Have you played with fog machines before? You are going to want to build a “chiller” for best effect. Just look up DIY fog chillers and choose a design that uses stuff you already own.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BigFatDog:

ill try them out

I see you are in AZ.

yep have a chiller, been running for for a few years.

I did not have time to mess with the lasers this year.  Oh well maybe next year.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 1:38:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RLR350] [#42]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
@RLR350

After-action report?

How did it go this year?

View Quote

@Kitties-with-Sigs

We had a backyard party Saturday night.  Hired a taco guy and told him he would be serving about 50 people.  Turned out to be around 80.  I think we had some random people show up, like wedding crashers, but for Halloween 😂.  Lots of fun, lots of drinks and food.  Most people wore costumes and they were great!  After the food, we previewed the haunted house.  Then, the wind picked up for two days………

On Halloween, the wind settled down enough to build a quick entry for the haunted house and we opened it up.  We had about 250 full size candy bars and gave them all out to kids that went through.  We had a nice line all night from 6:30 to 9:00.  Probably about 300-350 people; kids plus parents.  Well, we did have left over beer from the party, so parents got a treat if they wanted.

Of all the things, the swamp was the best feature, especially considering effort and costs versus return/effect.  The nurse door is fascinating, especially with the blood (water) spitter and that got a good scream out of everyone, but it was the most time consuming and relatively expensive.  The monster in a box was similar.

I think there are different types of haunted houses.  It’s easy to build a dark place and have people jump out. This was was more about detail with a little scare.  And, although there is a lot of different things that go into the build, there is a lot of wood working, so I appreciate the forum tolerating the long thread, even though it wasn’t all about the wood.

Here is a quick walk through I videoed during a break on Halloween night.  Not the greatest video, but you will get the idea.  Thanks for the interest all and have a great year!

Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top