BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Not with my eyes.

RDS for short range.

LPVO for medium.

Otherwise I might  as well just use a sharp stick.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DUH556:
The KISS rifle that stays in the trunk of my daily driver does.  Pin and welded 14.5" with an old Colt A1 upper receiver.

Edit to add. My main go everywhere else doesn't have irons.
View Quote

Yeah, a 11.5 barrel on an A2 upper pistol in the car.

Well  the upper lives in the car. The lower is in a backpack.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By feetpiece:
Yes. 6933 with a tritium front and Scalarworks fixed rear to save weight and fewest things to fail.
View Quote

Got a link for that? I have a set of fixed DD sights on one AR and would like to try that or a FO post.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I have 20k in really nice optics on most of my rifles...

My rifle favorite right now is a H&R 653...
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:10:56 AM EDT
[#5]
My muskets (A1, A2). Everything else is sporting glass.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:12:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Just out of curiosity,  where are you shooting piles of pigs in driving snow?

Peep sights pose their own issues in snow as well. They are easier to clear though.
View Quote

Contrary to popular belief, it snows in Oklahoma and Texas. Not as often, but windy snowstorms and ice storms aren’t unusual. At all.

Pigs are pretty great in the snow. They like the cold, and they are easy to spot.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:12:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, on my CMP rifles
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Two are irons only, two have optics.

Small aperture helps my older eyes especially on the carbine length sight radius.
I can still work with it however, for a few more years anyway.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:13:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SpacemanSpiff:
I haven't found an optic that works very well in a snow storm yet.

In the winter I often run irons only.

View Quote

Be curious to see what the Canadians and Scandanavian countries run.

Isn't Aimpoint Swedish?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:16:51 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Weird.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:17:57 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

American Pioneer Corps winter FTX. No one used irons.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:19:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Irons only.  There'll be plenty of RDS and optics lying on the ground if the time comes...
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:20:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By GrayMan66:
Irons only.  There'll be plenty of RDS and optics lying on the ground if the time comes...
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ED_P:
My older eyes do much better with optics vs iron sights these days, so I'm forced into the optics camp.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:22:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Attachment Attached File

Get both.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:34:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm cloning a post WWIII rifle. so after the coming solar maximum in a year and Nork and Taiwan ICBM's raining EMP's on us shortly after, yeah, you bet your ass i'm not having electric sights on anymore rifels
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#17]
I have irons on my SBR 9mm AR. Makes it fast & handy.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:49:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Zebra120:

Contrary to popular belief, it snows in Oklahoma and Texas. Not as often, but windy snowstorms and ice storms aren’t unusual. At all.

Pigs are pretty great in the snow. They like the cold, and they are easy to spot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zebra120:

Just out of curiosity,  where are you shooting piles of pigs in driving snow?

Peep sights pose their own issues in snow as well. They are easier to clear though.

I believe it snows there. I've been snowed on in Hawaii.

But I think driving snow is a bit different. 1-2 feet in a day is what I'm thinking. I've hunted days with over a foot during daylight hours. I prefer irons but aimpoints with caps works well too since I'm really not shooting far in that type of snow anyways.

I wouldn't even bother with caps for a 4" flurry. I think magnified optics are more of a pain in the ass then irons. It's doable and if I need the magnification for antler ID then I'll deal with it.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:52:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Redbirdxx:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/461668/mt_s_jpg-3212388.JPG
View All Quotes

It's doable but living with optics in the cold is a pain.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:17:11 AM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

You're not wrong, and I personally had some weather related optics issues that weekend. But it's a considerable leap from there to "optics don't work well in snow storms". If I were to do it again, I'd still run an optic. I'd just do a few things differently to mitigate the downsides.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#21]
My KISS 6920 is set up with a Scalarworks rear, FSP, and a light
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:30:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Even my carry handle AR has an optic.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:33:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ben] [#23]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:
Is anyone still running just iron sights as their primary sighting system on a modern AR in 2024?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:57:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thedownzero] [#25]

The Marine Corps currently starts with optics now.

They found it more efficient and effective to start that way.
View Quote

Interesting, I was reading they have had a decline in scores/performance since 2018.

We were qualifying with acogs but when I got out in 12’ they were still only using irons in boot camp.  I read they since introduced the optic in boot camp, but were still using iron sights (albeit micros) prior to qualification.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:04:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: southerncross] [#26]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:11:16 PM EDT
[#27]
I do not use irons only on any of my primarily rifles however I do have irons in back up for them all.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:11:46 PM EDT
[#28]
A carry handle upper with an pic rail adapter seems like it could make a great modern setup. You could either put a T2 up there for a Unity style setup, or run a thermal with a QD mount up there, all while retaining a baseline cheek weld of standard height irons
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Both my basic 20" and my 10.5" are Irons.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:16:32 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

For certain inclement weather conditions I have an irons set up
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:19:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Old bushy m4a2 14.5 pw.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:21:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Iron sights only here.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:23:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Not as primary,  but I do keep my skills honed using BUISs
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#34]

You're not wrong, and I personally had some weather related optics issues that weekend. But it's a considerable leap from there to "optics don't work well in snow storms". If I were to do it again, I'd still run an optic. I'd just do a few things differently to mitigate the downsides.
View All Quotes

I'm not talking about larping for a few hours.

I'm talking about living in the mountains in northern Maine through the winter, hiking, cutting trees, hauling firewood, breaking trail, etc etc.

Keeping an optic on all the time isn't worth the hassle for me. Half the time the lens is full of ice or mud or sawdust and even irons have issues with shit getting in them, it's just they are more likely to stay usable.

I'm not interested in worrying if my lens covers are on or if I need to clean my lenses again. I want a rifle I can sling up and go in and out of the house or truck or ATV and not have to worry if the lens is going to frost over with condensate or get covered in crap when it's -15 and snow and ice is blowing off of every tree.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#35]

I'm talking about living in the mountains in northern Maine through the winter, hiking, cutting trees, hauling firewood, breaking trail, etc etc.

Keeping an optic on all the time isn't worth the hassle for me. Half the time the lens is full of ice or mud or sawdust and even irons have issues with shit getting in them, it's just they are more likely to stay usable.

I'm not interested in worrying if my lens covers are on or if I need to clean my lenses again. I want a rifle I can sling up and go in and out of the house or truck or ATV and not have to worry if the lens is going to frost over with condensate or get covered in crap when it's -15 and snow and ice is blowing off of every tree.

View Quote

Basiacally the one less thing to worry about on an item I have 100% of the time?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:38:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AK-12] [#36]
Originally Posted By thedownzero:

Interesting, I was reading they have had a decline in scores/performance since 2018.

We were qualifying with acogs but when I got out in 12’ they were still only using irons in boot camp.  I read they since introduced the optic in boot camp, but were still using iron sights (albeit micros) prior to qualification.

View Quote

There's a been a decline in the number of experts since 2021, but that's due to the changeover from ART to ARQ more than anything else.

We could just blame the Zoomers though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:38:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BikerNut] [#37]
Originally Posted By WacoKid:
Not saying optics are not a force multiplier, but my A1/A2 Carry handles and FSB gas block have really good battery life.
View Quote

My 20" A2 is iron sights only. I use it for Service Rifle matches.

But 4X optics are now in the rule book for NRA High Power/Service Rifle matches, and I'm the only one on the firing line still using irons.

ETA: My other two (16") rifles have a Trijicon MRO and a Trijicon 4X ACOG, both with back-up irons.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

If you had said all that instead of "I haven't found an optic that works very well in a snow storm yet", we wouldn't be having this conversation.

And to be fair, we larped for a solid 36+ hours.

I actually learned a lot about my gear that weekend.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:45:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hydrostatic_cling] [#39]
I can’t think of a better way to tell the world your knowledge is out of date and you can’t perform at a high level than to advertise an affinity for iron sights only in 2024.  

So no, absolutely everything for actual use has an optic. ACOG with RMR, Aimpoints, some LPVOs, and higher mag stuff. If you can’t make optics work at all in the winter it is 100% a skill issue. This is like people stuck in 1980 thinking everything should just be smocks and belt kits.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#40]
At worst for any serious gun I have a primary optic and BUIS. If the primary optics is a scope it has a QD mount
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Gunnie357:

Basiacally the one less thing to worry about on an item I have 100% of the time?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gunnie357:

Yeah pretty much.

For my use, I've found the only rifle doo-dad I really need or want is a functioning light.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#42]
I keep one around to maintain proficiency.  It can be fun to shoot something different from time to time.

It's not the AR I'm grabbing for anything except a range trip.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Some law enforcement agencies issue ARs with iron sights and require them on privately owned rifles.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Yes, I still have one rifle, a M4A1ish build with Colt SOCOM FSB barrel and a Colt M4 carry handle.

Using Molon's RIBZ, I am capable of engaging steel echo silhouette targets out to 500+ yards; using good ole M855.

I've thought about tossing a RCO on the thing, but there's just something about irons that I enjoy.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#45]
I think a high quality LPVO is all your typical average Joe Blow shooter should ever need on an AR type rifle.

For urban warfare or long range bench shooting maybe something different.

For a truck gun Iron sights are a great option.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:11:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By StevenH:
Depends on the mission. What’s the longest distance in your house? What’s your zero? What’s your height over bore?

How do the combo of your zero distance and height over bore impact your hold overs at the distances found in your home.
View Quote

25 yards inside my house. My zero is 50 yards.

Hold high center chest and I’m money. Doesn’t matter that much.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:11:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By jdessell:
I use optics. That being said, about 20 years ago my then girlfriend's father was a Gunnery Sgt. in the Marines. He once made the comment that "Scopes are for pussies." when I told him I wanted to mount an optic on my 20" A3.
View Quote

Did he get out when they figured out he was retarded?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:12:54 PM EDT
[#48]
I prefer irons on pistols, but on rifles, there isn't a reasonable argument that an optic isn't better. A rifle is a precision tool, and optics are more precise. Up close, they are not any faster as lots of guys use offset irons just as quickly as a RDS. But beyond 50 yards, optic all the way.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:14:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By thedownzero:
Iron sights aren’t necessarily a handicap depending on what/how you’re shooting.

14.5” w/ irons is EASILY capable of 500yds. Flip the larger aperture and it’s very capable indoors as well.

Works for the Marine Corps…
View Quote

The Marine Corps teaches irons almost as an afterthought these days and proficiency has improved.

Can you make hits at 500 with irons?

Sure. Hell, they shoot Palma at 1k with irons.

Who cares? It’s faster and more accurate with optics under a wider variety of conditions so I’ll just go ahead and do that.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By GrayMan66:
View Quote

Oh Jesus Christ….
Page / 7
Top Top