Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 5/12/2024 8:27:01 AM EDT
Is anyone still running just iron sights as their primary sighting system on a modern AR in 2024?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:30:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DUH556] [#1]
The KISS rifle that stays in the trunk of my daily driver does.  Pin and welded 14.5" with an old Colt A1 upper receiver.

Edit to add. My main go everywhere else doesn't have irons.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:30:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:31:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WacoKid] [#3]
Not saying optics are not a force multiplier, but my A1/A2 Carry handles and FSB gas block have really good battery life.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:32:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:32:27 AM EDT
[#5]
My older eyes do much better with optics vs iron sights these days, so I'm forced into the optics camp.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:32:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Primary? Nah. Secondary? Yes.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:34:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I too am poor.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:35:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mayday] [#8]
Ive NEVER had any issues hitting targets from a few yards away -- to 350 yards with my 20"  FN.   Its almost too easy.  

I like to KISS.

Yes, i keep and have good optics on rifles designated as DMRs ( see bottom) -- but for my general-purpose rifles; the ones that may need to use across a living room - i just keep irons on them.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:35:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:
Primary? Nah. Secondary? Yes.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:36:08 AM EDT
[#10]
No.

Aimpoint T2's or EXPS 3-0 with magnifier.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:38:58 AM EDT
[#11]

I'm THE orange dot.
The Other Guy was trying to zero his rifle
200 yards  

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:41:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ED_P:
My older eyes do much better with optics vs iron sights these days, so I'm forced into the optics camp.
View Quote

Same here. Just got my first pistol optic too.

I started running dot sights on my ARs back in the early 2000s, and immediately noticed a substantial improvement in my groups and speed of target acquisition.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:41:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Depends on the mission. What’s the longest distance in your house? What’s your zero? What’s your height over bore?

How do the combo of your zero distance and height over bore impact your hold overs at the distances found in your home.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:42:05 AM EDT
[#14]
My SBR only has iron sights right now. I've had an EOtec and a small vortex red dot on it and I think it gonna stay with irons. All my other ARs either have a scope or red dot on them.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I use optics. That being said, about 20 years ago my then girlfriend's father was a Gunnery Sgt. in the Marines. He once made the comment that "Scopes are for pussies." when I told him I wanted to mount an optic on my 20" A3.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#16]
My primary go-to has an aimpoint that is co-witnessed with the iron sights. So basically, I got both.  

I have other rifles set up with optics only and those are relegated for longer range applications.

I spent much more of my life using irons than optics, so it's still very comfortable me. Optics definitely making things easier, but I probably wouldn't ever want my primary rifle to not at least have BUIS.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:56:10 AM EDT
[#17]
My truck/SxS AR is irons. An optic wouldn’t survive the abuse. It’s not “technically” a primary but sometimes the only one I have.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:00:23 AM EDT
[#18]
A-1 upper with the carry handle sights, KISS and no batteries to worry about. Dead or corroded batteries is a real thing.

But I also have a flat top with an Aimpoint. Why not both?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:07:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Primary, no.  

A2 and dissy
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:08:20 AM EDT
[#20]
LOL, no.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#21]
CMP shoots yes.
Everything else, no.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:12:37 AM EDT
[#22]
My only rifle caliber long gun that doesn’t have an optic is my shorty Galil

All others do, but zeroed quality cowitnessed irons are a must.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By ED_P:
View Quote

Pretty much this, but I'd be an optic guy at this point either way. Too many advantages at any distance to ignore.

Originally Posted By Lungbuster:
My truck/SxS AR is irons. An optic wouldn’t survive the abuse.
View Quote

You might be surprised at the abuse a quality optic will tolerate.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:12:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Not really "modern" at that point, is it?

I have one iron-sight only AR. I have one fixed-sight AR with a dot. Everything else has dots/optics.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:13:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#25]
Most of my guns don’t even have backup irons.

My M1 Garand only has irons.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:16:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Anyone still running muskets as their primary? If you can’t chooot a musket, you have no business owning an AR. Learn the fundamentals and work your way up.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:18:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thedownzero] [#27]
Iron sights aren’t necessarily a handicap depending on what/how you’re shooting.

14.5” w/ irons is EASILY capable of 500yds. Flip the larger aperture and it’s very capable indoors as well.

Originally Posted By Bizzarolibe:
Learn the fundamentals and work your way up.
View Quote

Works for the Marine Corps…
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By thedownzero:
Iron sights aren’t necessarily a handicap depending on what/how you’re shooting.

14.5” w/ irons is EASILY capable of 500yds. Flip the larger aperture and it’s very capable indoors as well.
View Quote

Capable, yes....but LESS capable than anything resembling a decent optic.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:23:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Irons are the primary on most of my firearms including AR's. I do have purpose built rifles, mostly bolts, that are scoped and some with removable, return to zero mounts but my normal are irons. Before it's said, I'm closer to 70 than I want to admit and my eyes are still better than 20/20. I'm a little more shaky than I remember so a lot of times I use a stabilizing (hasty) sling.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:24:04 AM EDT
[#30]
I haven't found an optic that works very well in a snow storm yet.

In the winter I often run irons only.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:24:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:25:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Absolutely.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:
Is anyone still running just iron sights as their primary sighting system on a modern AR in 2024?
View Quote

If you are looking for reliability, above all, and want the OBVIOUS benefits a red dot brings, consider a dual illuminated sight like a Trijicon Reflex, or Meprolight M21 or M22. These will be a lot more durable than iron sights and work much better in low light. Basically, you have a dot longer than you can ID your target as it gets dark.

Any they are much better than irons any other time.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:31:12 AM EDT
[#34]
I carry iron sighted rifles in the woods more so than rifles with optics.

Different story if I was expecting a fight.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:32:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By thedownzero:

Works for the Marine Corps…
View Quote

The Marine Corps currently starts with optics now.

They found it more efficient and effective to start that way.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:35:02 AM EDT
[#36]
I used to compete against a guy who “specialized” in irons. He usually won that category, and won the overall title a time or two.

He also taught classes specific to irons.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:36:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By SpacemanSpiff:

View Quote

Funny, I have killed piles of coyotes and pigs in the driving snow and sleet through high magnification optics. I will remember that next time.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:37:50 AM EDT
[#38]
No but nothing wrong with it as long as you train with it.
You’re just limiting your capability imo.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:43:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pestilence12] [#39]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Nope. Only ar I had irons on, I cut and free floated. Instantly improved the consistent accuracy of it. It now has an lpvo on it (the fsb was obscuring the lpvo, thus the cut job)

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:47:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: feetpiece] [#40]
Yes. 6933 with a tritium front and Scalarworks fixed rear to save weight and fewest things to fail.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Yes.

I also keep a jar of leeches at home in case I need to purify my blood.  And my 8 track collection is growing!  When they make a comeback I am going to be rich.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Zebra120:

Funny, I have killed piles of coyotes and pigs in the driving snow and sleet through high magnification optics. I will remember that next time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Oklahoma lol

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#43]
I would but my eyes can't handle it anymore. A small aperture rear and narrow front post on an A2 type is a damn good combination.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:59:25 AM EDT
[#44]

Oklahoma lol

View Quote

You’re right, It never snows in Oklahoma, and Oklahoma residents are only allowed to hunt in Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:01:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#45]
Respect for those that run irons, but when it comes to a rifle system, THOSE I run a RDS or other optic on.  Once it's a 2-handed weapon system, the bulk is nominal and the range of encounter gets a lot longer.  I can run irons, but as a general rule, even a decent Amazon $65 RDS is pretty solid today (though stay far far away from the $20 stuff!).

Maybe if I were still in my 20's, I'd run more irons.  

But sure, you can run irons.  Hell, I ran an M1 Garand with irons in open field 3-gun once.  Even made it into top 50% - if you can believe it.  (Total blast and crowdpleaser btw - PING,  best part was the long stage nailing 500 yard steel with 30-06 -  *BONG*  And flipped the target over, so everybody behind me had to shoot the unpainted backside.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:01:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Spleenless-Dave] [#46]
I just ordered this 811000 yesterday because I like the look, and will leave it as is.  I have a couple of other AR's with flat tops and have some optics but have pop up sights on them at the moment.

ETA:  I just remembered I do have a repro carry handle scope I got several years ago that I can try out on the S&W.  Forgot I had that.  

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:02:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Some of them have optics, some don't....

Variety is the spice of life
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:03:09 AM EDT
[#48]

You’re right, It never snows in Oklahoma, and Oklahoma residents are only allowed to hunt in Oklahoma.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Oklahoma lol

Just out of curiosity,  where are you shooting piles of pigs in driving snow?

Peep sights pose their own issues in snow as well. They are easier to clear though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Yes! Almost exclusively
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:06:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Square66] [#50]
Can’t see like I used to so optics it is.  It’s a bummer because I really enjoyed shooting irons.  Now it’s just frustrating even though I still give it my best.  

Even my retro A1 build has an optic now.  If you really want a mind screw try out an Armson OEG.  Believe it or not they are still being made.  I don’t really recommend it as a serious choice today, but it is period correct and what was available back then.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top