User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jagdkommando:
Older brother needs to curb check younger brothers bully.  That's how it is supposed to work.
View Quote

That’s how it worked in my day.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:12:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I would ask the instructor if the bully with 3 strikes was still allowed to attend class.  If the answer is yes, then tell the instructor your kid won't.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#3]
That’s frustrating. Help him use it as fuel to get better.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:19:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

Someone made a heel lock joke back on page 1 I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iByvUzTk4Ko
View Quote

It was me lol
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

It was me lol
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Every BJJ gym has a gym enforcer.  Just saying...
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:36:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Sucks but it's just one kid.
Your son will be alright just make sure it's a learning lesson.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By RikWriter:

Or that, yes...  

View Quote

That was such an insane thread.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:43:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: makintrax73] [#9]
I would at a very minimum tell the coach/instructor that unless the choker is permanently banned from the facility you are gone.

Not releasing when the opponent taps is the a breach of trust so severe that the rule should be very, very clear:  1 warning with serious consequences and then you are gone.

This is quite literally a life and death issue, and there is no fucking around in my mind on this one.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
I did talk to the young (maybe 20) assistant instructor at the end but it was like two seconds between classes. He said he had a problem with the other kid not releasing my kid and that he would talk to him.

I like this kid teaching the class. The head guy is a 50 ish guy, who I think might be a school teacher. The kid instructor is great with the kids normally. I think I'm going to talk to him (the kid instructor) say no more matches with this choker kid and tell my kids no more matches with this kid.
View Quote

Or maybe teach your kids the finer points of groin strikes, eye pokes and throat punches.

I'm a firm believer in givin as good as ye git.    

Lessons learned hard and all.....
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Some kid wouldn't stop choking my kid even after he tapped out. (These are elementary school age kids) The instructor told the kid to stop and he wouldn't, so the instructor had to break the kid's grip on my kid's neck. My kid was pissed and sat out the rest of the class. When we went to leave he had problems talking and got pretty upset.

My other kid said the choker had been told he had "two strikes" before that but didn't know what happened. Choker has also jokingly thrown punches, but pulled short, at my other kid, I guess joking around.

We've had good luck in Utah. The kids are nice and the classes are fun. My kids have been thrown around by some pretty big kids but they just laugh. The place in NY seemed like it had more mean kids, I don't, maybe my kids were just younger.

I never took classes until I was 14 and never saw anyone have to be stopped choking someone. Maybe this shit happens in little kid classes but I haven't seen it before. I'm thinking about telling them my kids aren't wrestling with this kid anymore. I don't need my little kids getting choked unconscious. :/

My kids are in a ton of activities. I really think the time would be better spent on tennis lol. Oh my kids like karate better and want to keep going.
View Quote
I took Chinese Kenpo and a few other styles between early teens and mid 20s...
Of those, Chinese Kenpo was my favorite and the most useful.
Also, it was the hardest to learn.  Each rank had 2 Katas or Forms and like 15 techniques (or moves) to deal with different scenarios.
and they stacked on as you went up, in testing, you covered everything you had learned back to the start.
So
1st Belt 2 Katas, 15 Techniques
2nd Belt, 4 Katas, 30 Techniques
3rd Belt, 6 Katas, 45 Techniques

Brown and Black added sparing 1 or more opponents, so the advanced tests, could get pretty lengthy...  

I feel like my training and conditioning really helped me not get my pasty white, ginger butt kicked every day in H.S...
I was never a bully, because I do not like to hurt people mentally or physically, but I wasn't going to get picked on or walk away, even when I should have.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:10:49 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:
I'm having to do a bit of a orifice pull with this, but I believe this is a valid comparison:

This is no different than being in a live ammo force on force exercise and the instructor lets a student flag people with their muzzle repeatedly.

Yes, it's a force on force, yes, things can and do happen, yes, you're there training to shoot somebody in real bloody earnest ... BUT ... flagging the other students is verboten for a very good reason.

Out of control jerks like that are dangerous. Especially in classes involving joint manipulation, where a quarter inch more of movement can result in a busted or burst joint, and you can't see when that's coming and you can't react fast enough to stop it even if you could see it coming.

Geeze.

Note to self, if someone wraps your legs up like that on the street, go for their face immediately.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:26:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Punch them in the dick.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't know what position he was in; but I'd teach him Plan B.
Reach in the opponent's gee, grab a set of balls; squeeze extremely hard, twist and yank hard like his life depends upon it.
Or hold on until the other kid taps out; preferably crying like a bee-otch.  
If the other kid doesn't want to follow the rules; yours should make his own.  In real life, if you're fighting fair, you're doing it wrong. (what if the instructor had been occupied with other kids and missed the incident?)  
And remember Plan C afterwards; wash your hands.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ClayHollisterTT:

That’s how it worked in my day.
View Quote

Saw that in junior high - funny story but long to type out
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:37:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I've never seen that happen in any of my kiddos classes.  His instructors though are very stern when it comes to breaking any rules like that.  Kid would have been asked to leave that day.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By zukguy:
Keep your boys in the class, they will thank you later when they can defend themselves and have higher self-esteem because they're confident and not scared of other people.

I'd have a talk with the teacher and tell him you don't want your boys sparing with him again, pretty simple fix.

Plus it's a lot of fun to watch little kids learn to fight.
View Quote

This.  I did tennis as a kid seriously enough to play on a college scholarship.  My kids do BJJ.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By JaredGrey:
Last year during BJJ, I got paired with a slightly crazy (she really liked me choking her) tiny Latina named Rose. While practicing some basic techniques, she kicked me very deliberately in the head. I stopped the action and communicated her error. Later she deliberately punched me in the face, so I demonstrated our size and strength difference by picking her up and locking in a rear naked choke. I spoke with the instructors and they approved of me policing my partner.
View Quote

Please finish this story. Doesn’t have to be factual.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:22:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:13:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Turns out the choke wasn't during a match. They were taking turns practicing something.
My son did wrestle with the same kid later in the class, but was worried about getting choked so he just fought defensively and kept the other kid away. My son did go back to the next class. I wasn't sure what I could do about them not doing any drills together, the class is small. Anyway the other kid wasn't there.
View Quote

Ask the instructor how good their insurance policy is.

He may get a clue.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:17:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Hand meet jaw, thumb meet eye.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Op, jerk him aside and show him this little life lesson:

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:21:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sirensong] [#23]
get him out of that crap and put him in kendo, where all the cool kids hang out!

https://www.swkif.org/blank-1

???!?#78?????ippon omnibus???30??????????????National Police Kendo Championship Tournament
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:24:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 6gunsal:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 6gunsal:
Originally Posted By JaredGrey:
Last year during BJJ, I got paired with a slightly crazy (she really liked me choking her) tiny Latina named Rose. While practicing some basic techniques, she kicked me very deliberately in the head. I stopped the action and communicated her error. Later she deliberately punched me in the face, so I demonstrated our size and strength difference by picking her up and locking in a rear naked choke. I spoke with the instructors and they approved of me policing my partner.

When she was being a good sparring partner, she was a good sparring partner. She could FLY in some takedowns and was close enough to my size that I didn’t get stuck wrestling the 250 might-be-transgender who just lays on people and wrenches their fingers when they try to move him/her/it.

She was also just pleasant to deal with…when she wasn’t punching me. I was very open about her with my wife and told my wife that if she was uncomfortable with the class that I would find another school. My wife began referring to her as My “Emotional Support Latina” and thought our interactions were hilarious.

I’ll admit it’s kind of an ego boost to have a cute little thing half my age telling me how good it would feel if I choked her unconscious on a hard concrete floor.

Sadly she quit the school and moved away. Such is life.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:34:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By EconProf:

Kids ankles and knees are unbreakable, it's why we don't teach them heel hooks
View Quote
But big toes DO break if you yank them backwards hard enough.

If our school had problematic students like that, they are gone. Granted we dont generally let students under 12 do actual chokes or bars. We do have a pinning combination form that lets younger students get into choke and bar positions that dont put their uke in danger.

In the 20yrs I've been a member of this school, I seen 1 (14yr old) student that got kicked out. Started bullying lower ranks (he was a jr black belt), and adult told him to knock it off, he didnt listen and got mouthy with another adult who told him the same (both adults were under brown belts, but anyone under 18 MUST obey adults even if the kids are black belts and the adults arent). Instructor was pissed when he found out and told him that he's done and called his parents. Mommy and daddy showed up and I see where he got that attitude from. Daddy was the big problem, mommy wasnt much better.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:58:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

Ask the instructor how good their insurance policy is.

He may get a clue.
View Quote

Ding, ding, ding. If instructor isn't the owner, invite the owner to join the conversation. It isn't as satisfying as curb stomping the kid but effective.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:36:12 PM EDT
[#27]
So your kid tapped out but the choker wouldn't stop.

Instructor told choker to stop but choker wouldn't.

Instructor had to intervene to break the chokers choke hold.

Choker has a history of this behavior. "2 strikes already"

What does this remind you of? Karate or a pit bull attack?

The choker is going to seriously injure someone. Its just a matter of time. Why is he still allowed in this class?
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top