Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/27/2024 9:13:17 PM EDT
Been using a 52" Big Dog Alpha for a decade to cut my just under 2 acres and I'm afraid it's on its last legs. Constantly throwing or shredding belts.  I've replaced everything item I can think of that might have anything to do w/ this and I'm just honestly tired of having to fix it all the fucking time. Neighbor across the street has a new Bad Boy Maverick that I really, really like the look of.  It has a Kawasaki power unit and has a few options and sizes that I could choose from.  This only his second season with it so I'm not sure how the reliability is with them.

So, are there any others manufacturers I should be considering? I'm really that open to purchasing a JD or Husq from a big box store like Lowe's. I'm wanting something I can get 10+ years out of at a minimum.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:15:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Avoid Husq. Shit company.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a Ferris IS700Z 6 years ago now for my property. About 5 acres I keep mowed. Zero issues, just regular maintenance so far.

I don’t think Ferris is popular with homeowners but if you pay attention to commercial landscapers as you drive around you’ll start to notice a LOT of them. Solid machines for sure.

Mine has a Briggs but a lot of them have Kawasakis.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Really any brand with a Kawasaki engine and 3100 hydros. I have a Gravely but there are plenty of other brands with the same specs.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:23:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Avoid MDT and their rebadged brands.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:25:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I would check out the closest dealer.
I have two Graveleys. I think I saw where they have a 25% off sale the next few days.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:27:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SAINTDANIEL] [#7]
A Scag is what you see,every part is replaceable,not a throw away machine.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:30:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SAINTDANIEL:

https://i.postimg.cc/FFdSsmjv/20220629-143952-resized-1.jpg
View Quote

This is the way.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:30:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Steve307SD] [#9]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:31:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By FMJ0311:

This is the way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FMJ0311:

This is the way.
Agree
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Scag or go home.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:36:35 PM EDT
[#13]
We have a Gravely, and it has been a work horse. Paid $4k, it is Six years old now.  It is on the cheaper end, and we have had to do a little work on it, a spindle which we replaced for $250 ourselves. We mow probably 2 acres, with trees and structures around.

Would a commercial grade be better? Yes. For what we paid for it and what we have gotten out of it dollar for dollar been a good deal? I think so.

Do not buy one from a box store, go to an actual dealer either way. Trust me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:37:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ikumaru] [#14]
Originally Posted By Paulie771:
Been using a 52" Big Dog Alpha for a decade to cut my just under 2 acres and I'm afraid it's on its last legs. Constantly throwing or shredding belts.  I've replaced everything item I can think of that might have anything to do w/ this and I'm just honestly tired of having to fix it all the fucking time. Neighbor across the street has a new Bad Boy Maverick that I really, really like the look of.  It has a Kawasaki power unit and has a few options and sizes that I could choose from.  This only his second season with it so I'm not sure how the reliability is with them.

So, are there any others manufacturers I should be considering? I'm really that open to purchasing a JD or Husq from a big box store like Lowe's. I'm wanting something I can get 10+ years out of at a minimum.
View Quote

So I had a Hustler that did that same thing, always shredding belts, and Hustler is owned by the same company that owned Big Dog mowers.  You need to check the mounts for your hydros.  On the Hustler they issued a warranty repair to replace the mounting brackets and bolts, since the original ones were like tinfoil thickness and bent.  That is, if you are talking about drive belts.  Also, after repairing the mounts, you need to buy oem belts and not the cheap belts they have on Amazon, even as enticing as they are with how cheap they are.

If you go the buying route, you are gonna be able to get a decade out of just about any mower.  Stick to a budget and don't let GD talk you up to a 12k mower because they insist you have to go commercial grade.  These mowers all use nearly identical engines and transmissions.  If you are going to spend any more money on a mower, do so for amazing convenience features like a suspension seat, OCDC, etc. Get a mower with a Kawasaki engine and some good serviceable hydros and you will be good for easily a decade.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:38:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Okay, every suggestion here is good.
Try to pick one that has a close dealer and doesn't suck balls.

Once you get over about $6k, they're all solid
Some work better in certain grass, etc

Look at what the commercial guys are using in my area.

Around here, its:
Grasshopper
Walker
Hustler
Bad Boy

Other brands to look at:
Big Dog
Gravely
Ferris

They all have multiple models, so you can't just say "xxx sucks".

Some of them, namely Hustler and Bad Boy, have big box store models.
Avoid those.

I had a Ferris with full suspension.
Loved it.

I recently got the smallest Grasshopper they make, and it cuts really good.

Keep in mind, these all use off the shelf motors, hydrostatic, etc.

The main difference is the frames, decks, layout, and slight feature difference.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:43:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By GunsAndGoats:
We have a Gravely, and it has been a work horse. Paid $4k, it is Six years old now.  It is on the cheaper end, and we have had to do a little work on it, a spindle which we replaced for $250 ourselves. We mow probably 2 acres, with trees and structures around.

Would a commercial grade be better? Yes. For what we paid for it and what we have gotten out of it dollar for dollar been a good deal? I think so.

Do not buy one from a box store, go to an actual dealer either way. Trust me.
View Quote

IDK about the gravely you have, but I just did the spindles on my Hustler and saved a boatload of money just pressing out the bearings and pressing in new bearings to the existing spindles.  Was very very easy and made a multi hundred dollar job cost like $15.  I splurged on higher quality bearings or it would have cost half that.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Exmark Lazer Z
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:45:59 PM EDT
[#18]
https://www.walker.com/

My 20 year old MT-20 with 42”plow
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Ferris, Scag or Bobcat.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#20]
A buddy of mine has a 6-7 year old Ferris that's been flawless. Really nice machine. It was a prior year leftover I think he paid something like $12k for, but he's a yardaphile. His yard would put many golf courses to shame. It's also just under an acre so that machine barely gets warmed up by the time he's done.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Here's my ferris from a few years back.

Heavy as a tank.
So comfy.

I miss it

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:05:42 PM EDT
[#22]
1000% get a Scag. They are the heaviest duty brand by far and will life a homeowner a lifetime with proper maintenance and a few fixes here and there. Get a Kawasaki engine.

For 2 acres test out a Vride standing model, so much more comfortable and maneuverable than a sit on. But if riding is your thing, Patriot or Turf Tiger.
They offer a nice military and vet discount too.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:07:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By MHowski:
Exmark Lazer Z
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:12:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought a Kubota 422 with a 60” deck last year. 3600 gears and a 24 hp Kawasaki engine.  I only have 12 hours on it but it cuts good and saves me a shit ton of time.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:17:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: anymanusa] [#25]
Ferris master race checking in.

IS 800z 52" deck Kawasaki motor.

40+ hours.

Suspension is a BIG selling point for uneven ground.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:18:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Hustler with forged deck and a Kaw motor is a great combo
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:20:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Mp40Gunner:
Really any brand with a Kawasaki engine and 3100 hydros. I have a Gravely but there are plenty of other brands with the same specs.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:28:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By bondryan:
I bought a Kubota 422 with a 60” deck last year. 3600 gears and a 24 hp Kawasaki engine.  I only have 12 hours on it but it cuts good and saves me a shit ton of time.
View Quote

My Kubota ZG327 (60” cut, 27hp Kawasaki engine) still runs great after 14 years of mowing 8 acres, then another 2 mowing a couple acres at the new place.

16 years and I put 1 belt, 2 batteries, and a starter on it. And probably 8-10 sets of blades because I used it like a bushog on the 8 acres.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:34:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Spartan

good mower
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:36:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Something to keep in mind, how do they cut ? The scag velocity deck is fantastic ! many commercial guys use them,the John Deere 7 Iron also a great deck. The type of grass you have also comes into play,some do not give a shit, they just want it to cut.   My Tiger Cat ll is a hell of a machine,scag is not cheap.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:42:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I vote for something with a diesel engine.  Worth the extra money in my eyes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:56:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Papermaker:

My Kubota ZG327 (60" cut, 27hp Kawasaki engine) still runs great after 14 years of mowing 8 acres, then another 2 mowing a couple acres at the new place.

16 years and I put 1 belt, 2 batteries, and a starter on it. And probably 8-10 sets of blades because I used it like a bushog on the 8 acres.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Papermaker:
Originally Posted By bondryan:
I bought a Kubota 422 with a 60" deck last year. 3600 gears and a 24 hp Kawasaki engine.  I only have 12 hours on it but it cuts good and saves me a shit ton of time.

My Kubota ZG327 (60" cut, 27hp Kawasaki engine) still runs great after 14 years of mowing 8 acres, then another 2 mowing a couple acres at the new place.

I have almost 10 years with my Kubota ZD326 diesel power 60".  It beats the crap out of me every mowing season but that's due to the shitty yard I have.  I hope to fix that this weekend with a Harlie rake.

I also use mine as a bushhog; the dang thing takes a lot of abuse!

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:04:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Dad has a 60" Spartan with the HTE Parker hydros and Kawasaki, no complaints.
It's a great residential option.
Scag, Gravely or ExMark are better commercial options.

We make the hydro housings for most all of them.
Parker, HydroGear, TuffTorq...
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:06:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fxntime] [#34]
I have a grasshopper 720 with a vacuum system and hopper, a 30hp Kubota z781i, and a 48'' ferris walk behind with a 15hp Kawasaki.  [I like to mow and my old walk behind died after a decade of use, for $200 it did well.]

Buy a good brand, get the best hydro's you can, maintain the  hydros correctly, keep the blades sharp, and a commercial use mower, even if used, will last a LOOONG time if using for your own residential lawn, even if it's a couple acres.

I toy with selling the grasshopper as I don't use it much anymore but it mulches leaves so damn good in the fall that I can't bring myself to sell it.

Both the Grasshopper and Kubota uses a Parker Hydro wheel motor type system, excellent setup and extremely long lived.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:15:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: swampvol] [#35]
Went with the 60" Bad Boy Maverick for my 5AC with a rough 3.5AC to cut.

Very solid machine.

Decided to go with the 27hp Briggs CXI over the 24hp Kawi only because I dont want to have to cut every week and thought the little extra hp/tq would help me get through 14-17 day old thick grass. So far it plows through it with minimal bog, if any.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:29:09 AM EDT
[#36]

Some of the dealers around here have a loaner, if so try them out. I’m on mine at least 3 plus hours. You want something comfortable and one that will hold up. I’ve got two kubotas.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:30:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Blstr89:
I bought a Ferris IS700Z 6 years ago now for my property. About 5 acres I keep mowed. Zero issues, just regular maintenance so far.

I don’t think Ferris is popular with homeowners but if you pay attention to commercial landscapers as you drive around you’ll start to notice a LOT of them. Solid machines for sure.

View Quote

Ferris is the answer
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#38]
What do the lawn crews use in your area?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Up front, this is probably the best post in the thread so far:

View Quote

Those are the specs that matter. Most of the brands are going to hit that mark somewhere, almost all of them are going to have really strong decks, and you're mostly looking at paint colors, price tags, and small details like arm rests after that.

Some other things to throw out there:

Dealer location and reputation should be a top priority.

Bad Boy has a program similar to Glock Blue Label. If you're a veteran/first responder, you're going to have a hard time finding a better deal elsewhere.

The Bad Boy Maverick is way overkill for a property of that size. You could drop to the ZT Elite, save a chunk of cash, and probably not notice a difference.

If you're going to spend extra money, don't chase bigger components beyond the above, look for things like good suspension systems.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:47:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Crazyascanbe] [#40]

View Quote

Yep
Bought this one for around 9000
4000 down and rest is on a 5000 loan at zero percent for 4 years
I might pay it off early but it is on auto pay so no big deal

I used it on two acres of field grass cutting at 3.5 inches. Grass was over two feet tall and it didnt even change engine sounds while plowing through it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:50:57 AM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Yep.

The biggest differences is in warranty and the steel fab/design.  They're all buying the hydraulics and motors from the same places.  I bought a Hustler simply because I like working with the dealer and it had a lifetime warranty on the deck.  Same motor and hydros in Gravely, Cub, Ariens, etc.

IIRC 3100 hydro is where they start being serviceable.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:04:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Got a Scag Cheetah II last year.  This will be my brand from now on.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Kuraki:

Yep.

The biggest differences is in warranty and the steel fab/design.  They're all buying the hydraulics and motors from the same places.  I bought a Hustler simply because I like working with the dealer and it had a lifetime warranty on the deck.  Same motor and hydros in Gravely, Cub, Ariens, etc.

IIRC 3100 hydro is where they start being serviceable.
View Quote

Finding a good dealer is very important, IMO.

I initially was going with a Ferris but the dealer seemed uninterested and was actually kind of a dick.
BB dealer was awesome and answered all of my questions without hesitation. The shop has been around for a good while too which helped with my decision.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:22:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JKH62] [#44]
Purchased my 1st Hustler last year and it's been a great mower thus far.
It has the new design frame which is a big improvement.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:10:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Blstr89:

I don't think Ferris is popular with homeowners but if you pay attention to commercial landscapers as you drive around you'll start to notice a LOT of them. Solid machines for sure.

View Quote
What size is your property to be mowed and how rough is it?

We have right at 3 acres or just over.  Its not real rough, but has a few spots and at the end of the front yard where it meets the road there's a bit of a slope/hill. The worst thing is the fricken holes from the dogs digging their moats and Moles/Voles mounding dirt up for their subway system...  Between the two, they have ruined more blades...  I don't even sharpen, I just replace.

If I could afford a Ferris Commercial unit thats what I'd have.
As of now I have a 6-8 year old Hustler Raptor from Lowes..  Its a lower end line unit and I'd never buy one again unless I had a small, flat smooth property in town.  These Lowes' Hustlers are just not built for it.

Unless you have a postage stamp sized lot in the city, Do not buy from Lowes, HD or other Big box Hardware stores, go to an outdoor power or Implement shop and buy something a bit heavier duty.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:12:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Going on my 13th year with a Gravely 60" HD.  2 batteries and 1 drive belt during that time, other than the yearly tune up/ blades/oil change.   My land is rougher than a cob, and the shocks/ springs on a Ferris is very appealing, but not at another 6K.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:30:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Looks interesting (only 52" though)

Big Dog BlackJack https://www.bigdogmowerco.com/products/blackjack

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:20:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Triggerstuck] [#48]
Originally Posted By Crazyascanbe:

Yep
Bought this one for around 9000
4000 down and rest is on a 5000 loan at zero percent for 4 years
I might pay it off early but it is on auto pay so no big deal

I used it on two acres of field grass cutting at 3.5 inches. Grass was over two feet tall and it didnt even change engine sounds while plowing through it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/591422/1000005098_jpg-3171667.JPG
View Quote

Looks like this site does cost us a bunch of money.  I pick up my Scag Patriot SPZ-61H-23FX61" Hero Cutter Deck, 23 HP Kawasaki® FX730 on Monday.  Got the mulching deck as I have 2.6 acres of oak trees.  Takes me days with the Toro SS5000, going back and forth to mulch all the leaves.  I noticed they offered a 15% veteran discount, coupled with the 0% @ 48 months, so why not?  $9281 total with tax.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:27:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Ferris we are still running a 2014 commercially.  Been that way for years.  Motor bolts, oil, e brakes, and belts are all that have been changed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:29:33 PM EDT
[#50]
My Gravely turns 20 this May.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top