Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 8/18/2022 2:29:24 PM EDT
I just finished taking the PADI OWD exam for the lessons I'm taking over here in Southwest Asia.  The local equipment and lingo is in Metric (bars / meters).  I find it rather intuitive, but I'll be heading back to 'merica and the land of Imperial.

Does anyone here flout convention and use Metric domestically?
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Imperial for the win...
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 3:00:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jeff556] [#2]
Originally Posted By von_landstuhl:
I just finished taking the PADI OWD exam for the lessons I'm taking over here in Southwest Asia.  The local equipment and lingo is in Metric (bars / meters).  I find it rather intuitive, but I'll be heading back to 'merica and the land of Imperial.

View Quote

The US doesn't use Imperial measurements. We use United States customary units. There is a difference.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 3:24:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#3]
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 3:38:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I shoot in meters where possible. Outside of construction metric is mostly better.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 4:21:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: von_landstuhl] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
I shoot in meters where possible. Outside of construction metric is mostly better.
View Quote

For you and the previous two or three posters, this is the scuba forum.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

Why do you feel the need to be a freak?

Link Posted: 8/18/2022 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#7]

For you and the previous two or three posters, this is the scuba forum.
View Quote

You didn’t specify.

FWIW when I took the class in Belize it was taught in US Customary Units.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Marie:

View Quote

Do you really think that was a helpful and appropriate response to a new diver?
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Marie:

Your sarcasm meter needs to be recalibrated.

Link Posted: 8/18/2022 7:26:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#10]

View Quote

How are you going to deal with buddies, DMs, instructors, etc., back in the US, doing everything in psi/ft if you’re working in metric? Going to be continually converting or pay extra for gauges that do both?

Go ahead and complicate your dive life if you want. Most people don’t.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#11]
We are talking about one gage right?  Buy what is available over there and switch when you get home.

My experience is that overseas dive shops are used to using both scales but not so much in the states.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 8:00:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Atmospheres and BAR are nearly equivalent. It is when you start using p.s.i.  that things get a bit more complicated.  For a quick approximation, a BAR/Atmospere is about 15 p.s.i.

Depth in feet is a bit more than three times the number in meters.  Again, for most things, that approximation should be relatively safe to use.  (33 feet is really close to 10 meters, but using 30 feet for 10 meters should be safe for most things).
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 12:53:41 AM EDT
[#13]
You'll experience that using the wrong measurement system will be frustrating at best.

The issue isn't you. It's everyone else. Most US-based outfits run US measure, as does Canada, at least for diving. You show a divemaster your gauge with bar as measurement and they'll look at it like a pig looks at a washing machine.

Outside North America, it's all metric, and they have even less exposure to the US measure.

I run PSI analog gauges, and set my dive computer to the local measure, and show whomever I am diving with that.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:47:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
View Quote

I shoot in meters, but drive in miles per hour and measure things in fractions for some ungodly reason. I like my air in PSIs
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top