Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2024 2:52:53 PM EDT
This is sort of a part 2 from my thread a week or two ago.  

I'm going to be swapping out the 3-4 year old impeller on my Tohatsu 15hp outboard (4 stroke).  The motor only has a few trips on it.  But since it sat for two years I'm swapping the impeller, changing the oil/filter and swapping the gear oil.  

In watching this video on how to swap the impeller....all was well until I got to about the 22min mark and everything seems like it went to shit for this guy.  

Servicing a Tohatsu Outboard – Impeller change

Now my motor is really new and I think I bought it that way in 2020 or 2021 from the factory.  So am I going to run into the same clusterfuck where I need to flip the entire motor upside down AFTER draining all fuel AND oil AND whatever else from this thing just to get the shaft to match up with the splines or are the newer ones easier and less difficult?  

The rest of this seems easy with just the part, grease, and a socket.  But again, I don't want to get into it only to waste an entire day monkeying around with it.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:05:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARMinnesota] [#1]
I think you are going to find the old one was fine like every one I preemptively changed but don't let that stop you. The experience is good and you won't be comfortable until you do it. Good luck.
My oldest outboard is a 2006 and I have done it once a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ARMinnesota:
I think you are going to find the old one was fine like every one I preemptively changed but don't let that stop you. The experience is good and you won't be comfortable until you do it. Good luck.
My oldest outboard is a 2006 and I have done it once a couple years ago.
View Quote

But is completely draining all fluids from the entire motor AND flipping the thing upside down how it absolutely needs to be done?  If so, I won't be able to do it alone because it's more than my back and shoulder can handle.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#3]
No need to flip.

He is creating his problems with to much pressure.

Make sure your engine and lower unit are in the correct fwd-neutral-reverse setting.

I have had to put a engine and lower unit in the same gear setting to wiggle the prop shaft so the drive shaft would line up.

My new boat has the 25 inch lower and is a little bit of pain so I have had the wife guide the shifter shaft in.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:20:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I've done Evinrudes, Mercury an Suzuki's but never Tohatsu. With mine only the lower unit needed to be removed and draining the lower unit was not necessary.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:23:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
No need to flip.

He is creating his problems with to much pressure.

Make sure your engine and lower unit are in the correct fwd-neutral-reverse setting.

I have had to put a engine and lower unit in the same gear setting to wiggle the prop shaft so the drive shaft would line up.

My new boat has the 25 inch lower and is a little bit of pain so I have had the wife guide the shifter shaft in.
View Quote

He is saying to have it in neutral and to make sure it stays that way which isn't too big a deal.  But with pressure....are you saying if we didn't muscle it as much it'd find it's way in or is there another trick to it?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:25:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akcaribouhunter] [#6]
Tohatsu 15 hp 4 stroke waterpump impeller & shift link

Does this match
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:29:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I’ve changed hundreds of impellers. I have never seen anyone that stupid.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Cobra-Commander:
I’ve changed hundreds of impellers. I have never seen anyone that stupid.
View Quote

Believe he's a blowboater so.........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top