Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2024 11:50:42 PM EDT
My 30+ year old pneumatic impact wrench just went tits up and is not repairable.  While it got lots of use in my younger years, now I probably need an impact wrench 2 - 3 times a year.  (Today's project is replacing the water heater anode.)

The number of options today is mind boggling. Pneumatic, corded, cordless...not sure I care.  There are all kinds of crazy specs thrown around, but when I start watching reviews, there seems to be a lot that contradict each other.

I don't need another 30-year tool and I could not care less about tightening torque or speed, but I damn sure wants bolts suspension bolts to come loose and anodes to come out of water heaters.

What's the Go-To for occasional use?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:57:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you invested in any cordless tools already? My Ryobi cordless 18v 1/2” has more power than I ever imagined. It also has selectable power for when I don’t need as much.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:08:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Air is still the king IMO. Cordless impacts have come a long way. Like mentioned above, if you're in a battery platform already, grab one of their offerings. They are generally powerful and very convenient as well. I've got M12, M18 and picked up a Hercules 12 volt 1/4" impact I've really come to like as well. As far as air tools go, Thor, IR are the brands I would look at.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:29:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Work buys me Makita so that is the platform I stick with. They bought me a half inch impact I think it does around 700 ft.lbs. It was expensive for what it is. I think $600.  The Milwaukee fuel is better in my opinion. Ryobi has one around 1000ft lb around $300. That's what I would get if I was buying.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:31:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By NAK:
View Quote

Pick your favorite cordless brand, and buy one of their better ones.

People will fight and fan-boy over brands, but unless you're working on machinery for a living, it really doesn't matter.   Ryobi, Bosch, Makita, DeWalt, Rigid, Milwaukee, they all make tools that will work fine for occasional use.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:31:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I am not invested in a current battery platform.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:34:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Then see which one you like, or just roll the dice.  If you plan on buying a lot of other cordless tools, see which brand offers the variety you want, otherwise... again, they all make good tools.  Maybe watch the Torque Test Channel to see which from each company really give the bang for the buck.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:22:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: slowr1der] [#7]
It really comes down to if you want air or battery powered. Both have their pros and cons imo.

Imo if you don't need the portability of battery powered, air is still the best choice by far. I have an old Ingersol Rand 2135ti and it's hard to beat. I'm not sure what their current model is.

If going battery powered, I'd go Milwaukee Fuel. I've used several from Milwaukee, Dewalt, and Ryobi. Although I haven't used the new Dewalt that's supposed to be stronger than the Milwaukee. I'll admit, after getting battery powered, I use it a lot more than I thought I would. I probably use it 80% of the time now. It's nice not to worry about filling the compressor up, getting the air hose out, etc. It's also nice to be able to toss it in the car and take it to a friend's house, the farm, etc. However, it has a lot of downsides. The batteries don't last nearly as many years as the air impact will and they are expensive. In addition to that, it's much larger and doesn't fit in nearly as many places as I can get my air impact into. The trigger control isn't nearly as good on any of the ones I've used either. You also have batteries dying mid job and you have to keep extra batteries charged for this, which add even more cost. The only real benefit is the ease of just grabbing it and using it immediately and not being tied down to a compressor. That is, as long as you remember to keep the batteries charged.

The IR is better in every single other thing other than the convenience factor.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:31:46 AM EDT
[#8]
A nice air, like the Ingersol mentioned above, can be put away wet and not touched for years and still work just as good.  Try that with a battery powered unit.

Check tooltopia dot com for their prices.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:45:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Consider Harbor Freight's Hercules Impact, it's as powerful as Milwaukee's, has nearly as good a warranty (5 yr tool/3 yr battery) and is half the price for the kit ($250 vs $500).
With only occasional use it will last as long and have the same performance.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:30:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Ingerson Rand
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:51:36 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Then continue with air. Nothing wrong with air and the air tools are far cheaper than battery powered tools. Everyone loves the cordless impacts and they are nice….but you said yourself you will only use it a few times per year. I use mine a lot more than that and I am sticking with air.

You can find what you want at Harbor Freight.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:05:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Another thought, I picked up a nice Snap On 1/2” pneumatic at a pawn shop for a very good price($90 IIRC). Don’t be afraid to offer them about 50-65% of what they’re asking. Every time I have they didn’t even counter offer just accepted.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:51:07 PM EDT
[#13]
If you only use an impact wrench occasionally,

Go to harbor freight and buy a bauer corded 8amp 1/2" impact wrench,

Iirc they're 1k ftlb breakaway torque & 250ftlb fastener torque.

I bought mine when they were like $50 with coupon,

It works well enough and I don't have to unwind my air hoses to use my air tools.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Ended up just buying another pneumatic for under $100.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#15]
My 30+ year old pneumatic impact wrench just went tits up and is not repairable.  While it got lots of use in my younger years, now I probably need an impact wrench 2 - 3 times a year.  (Today's project is replacing the water heater anode.)

The number of options today is mind boggling. Pneumatic, corded, cordless...not sure I care.  There are all kinds of crazy specs thrown around, but when I start watching reviews, there seems to be a lot that contradict each other.

I don't need another 30-year tool and I could not care less about tightening torque or speed, but I damn sure wants bolts suspension bolts to come loose and anodes to come out of water heaters.

View Quote

You should hit this channel

https://www.youtube.com/c/TorqueTestChannel/videos
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:19:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Ended up just buying another pneumatic for under $100.

Thanks for all the feedback.
View Quote

Which one?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:08:03 AM EDT
[#17]
If you were closer I’d have given you a Dewalt corded impact. Bought it before the cordless stuff really took off and used it mostly for tire changes (tractor and car). Only rated for 300-450 ft-lbs but did what I needed. Just a PIA to deal with a cord so as soon as I could afford one I went cordless.  I’ve seen my exact model in pawn shops for $100. Not sure I’ve even plugged it in since I got my M18 midtorque.  I can’t realistically imagine ever needing to use it again.  If my midtorque dies it’ll get replaced with the new compact hightorque.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:08:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By slowr1der:
It really comes down to if you want air or battery powered. Both have their pros and cons imo.

Imo if you don't need the portability of battery powered, air is still the best choice by far. I have an old Ingersol stand 2135ti and it's hard to beat. I'm not sure what their current model is.

If going battery powered, I'd go Milwaukee Fuel. I've used several from Milwaukee, Dewalt, and Ryobi. Although I haven't used the new Dewalt that's supposed to be stronger than the Milwaukee. I'll admit, after getting battery powered, I use it a lot more than I thought I would. I probably use it 80% of the time now. It's nice not to worry about filling the compressor up, getting the air hose out, etc. It's also nice to be able to toss it in the car and take it to a friend's house, the farm, etc. However, it has a lot of downsides. The batteries don't last nearly as many years as the air impact will and they are expensive. In addition to that, it's much larger and doesn't fit in nearly as many places as I can get my air impact into. The trigger control isn't nearly as good on any of the ones I've used either. You also have batteries dying mid job and you have to keep extra batteries charged for this, which add even more cost. The only real benefit is the ease of just grabbing it and using it immediately and not being tied down to a compressor. That is, as long as you remember to keep the batteries charged.

The IR is better in every single other thing other than the convenience factor.
View Quote
Agreed.  I was removing some screw from a lathe spindle and the m18 wouldn't get it done while the IR didn't even notice them.  

Their ratings are very similar, but my experience suggests that air is still the way to go for heavier work.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#19]
A few years back I bought the high end Ingersol Rand pneumatic impact.  Then I bought the big Milwaukee M18. Then I sold the house and left the compressor due to no space here for one.  
I now have a really nice IR impact I’ve used twice and cannot use again.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By MethaneMover:
Agreed.  I was removing some screw from a lathe spindle and the m18 wouldn't get it done while the IR didn't even notice them.  

Their ratings are very similar, but my experience suggests that air is still the way to go for heavier work.
View Quote

Air still has its place, and it's nice being able to crank up the PSI for stubborn bolts...there's a big difference in 90psi vs 110-120psi.  That being said, I haven't touched any of my air impacts since adding a 3/4" Milwaukee 18v.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:56:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NAK] [#21]
The AC tools were just to big for my liking. Seems they would have problems under a vehicle.
I own too many different color cordless tools that are all 5+ years old, have dying or dead batteries, that are no longer compatible with the band's current, latest, greatest battery system.

I feel like I may need to turn in my man card, but I went with a Kobalt air wrench that is composite construction (aluminum up front and the back part is plastic).

I ran across a guy that tested a bunch of air tools with a piezoelectric force meter...very fast responding and a very different setup/physics as compared to the guys setting up a bolt to clamp down on two hydraulic load cells.  The piezoelectric cell arrangement had no free play, did not spin at all, and was fast enough to capture the result of each hammer impact.  The Kobalt tool came out very well in this test, especially considering the price.

The first job was replacing the anode in my water heater.  I had previously tired a 24" breaker bar with a cheater pipe and the neighbor's cordless Makita with no success.  The Kobalt hit it about 4 times, then zipped it off.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:54:00 AM EDT
[#22]
When it absolutely has to come off and heat is not an option I use a 2135tiMax from Ingersoll rand.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By chrishag:
When it absolutely has to come off and heat is not an option I use a 2135tiMax from Ingersoll rand.
View Quote

That’s the one I’ve got collecting dust.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:24:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Milwaukee 2767/thread
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:

Then see which one you like, or just roll the dice.  If you plan on buying a lot of other cordless tools, see which brand offers the variety you want, otherwise... again, they all make good tools.  Maybe watch the Torque Test Channel to see which from each company really give the bang for the buck.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/201005/tools_jpg-3200041.JPG
View Quote

Wrong...
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:35:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HELOBRAVO] [#26]
I have a smaller battery powered 3/8" Bosch impact that I follow up with a torque wrench.
I also have this...but use it only in one direction.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:09:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mikeyb76] [#27]
Originally Posted By T-TAC:
Ingerson Rand
View Quote

*Ingersoll

I had a Thunder Gun that was dedicated for tire changes. Fun little gun.

Nothing wrong with battery ones; I want to get the 1/2 and 3/8 drive compact Milwaukee ones. For now I have a corded Porter Cable for doing wheel swaps.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:26:58 AM EDT
[#28]
I use a corded Milwaukee 1/2" impact wrench.  It works great.  Bought it after my Harbor Freight one crapped out.  The Harbor Freight one worked for several years and certainly punched above it's price point).
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:33:30 AM EDT
[#29]
M18 fuel. Get the fuel brushless is the way to go.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:
A few years back I bought the high end Ingersol Rand pneumatic impact.  Then I bought the big Milwaukee M18. Then I sold the house and left the compressor due to no space here for one.  
I now have a really nice IR impact I’ve used twice and cannot use again.  
View Quote

You don't have any place to store a pancake?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-6-Gal-Portable-Electric-Pancake-Air-Compressor-OF60150HB/303379052
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:49:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#31]
I bought the Ridgid impact  due the the lifetime warranty on batteries, charger, and the tool.  It has amazing torque and easily removes 130ftlb torqued lugs of my truck. It is comparable to the Earthquake Harbor Freight impact, which damn near broke a couple fingers the first time I used it.  These are no joke.

I have lots of Ridgid things and never jumped on the milsquakee bandwagon.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:54:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#32]
Originally Posted By PepePewPew:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-6-Gal-Portable-Electric-Pancake-Air-Compressor-OF60150HB/303379052
View Quote
Small compressors are dismal at running air tools.  They don't have the volume, pressure or CFM rating.  Even running a small air ratchet is going to be full of disappointment for light use.  They for damn sure can't run an air chisel or an orbital sander.  

I doubt I will ever pull my air impact out of the tool drawer again, now that I have a suitable battery tool.  I have taken it on road trips in case I get a flat.  It seemed like I was getting a flat each time I rented a car.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Milwaukee M12 Fuel. Very light and compact and much more powerful than you would expect for the size.

Unless you're changing tires on a semi, it'll likely do everything you need, and can be found for $200ish with batteries and charger.

Current Promo @ $209

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:18:30 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

LOL!  I have a pancake.  Won’t run real air tools like posted above.  Great for nail guns that just use air bursts.  
I use it for my brad nailer, filling truck and boat trailer tires.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:28:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By PvtJoeBauers:
Are you invested in any cordless tools already? My Ryobi cordless 18v 1/2” has more power than I ever imagined. It also has selectable power for when I don’t need as much.
View Quote

This, if new, Dewalt 1/2 takes truck lug nuts off and reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:39:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
Small compressors are dismal at running air tools.  They don't have the volume, pressure or CFM rating.  Even running a small air ratchet is going to be full of disappointment for light use.  They for damn sure can't run an air chisel or an orbital sander.  

I doubt I will ever pull my air impact out of the tool drawer again, now that I have a suitable battery tool.  I have taken it on road trips in case I get a flat.  It seemed like I was getting a flat each time I rented a car.

View Quote

I can do five lug nuts with a 6 gallon 150psi compressor regulated to 90psi.
And a 6 gallon Dewalt pancake can refill in well under a minute. I don't know about the Ridgid I linked.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:47:45 AM EDT
[#37]

The 1/2 and 3/8 cordless are amazing for general auto work.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#38]
The Milwaukee M12 3/8 does all I need.  If I am going on a road trip it is in the trunk, along with the M12 inflator.  For other stuff the M18 mid torque is more than enough.  I am not a 16 cylinder diesel mechanic, just a home gamer that changes rotors, CV shafts, etc on occasion.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:56:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MethaneMover] [#39]

And a 6 gallon Dewalt pancake can refill in well under a minute. I don't know about the Ridgid I linked.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wildearp:

Earp's assessment is pretty far off base and it's obvious when he references volume and CFM separately.  Then the pressure comment.  Lol, what?  An air ratchet?  

The sander comment is real, but anyone using one would know that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top