Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2021 8:54:09 AM EDT
Bring back the highlighted thread titles in forums for members on ignore list.

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:01:54 AM EDT
[#1]
it still works for me

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:14:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By soldier65:
it still works for me

View Quote

Odd.

Thread titles are no longer highlighted for me. I do not know what I'm getting into until I click.  Once there the OP in thread along with the OP's responses are all but hidden,  highlighted if clicked on.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By soldier65:
it still works for me

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#4]
They're out to get me....
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 12:26:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:

Odd.

Thread titles are no longer highlighted for me. I do not know what I'm getting into until I click.  Once there the OP in thread along with the OP's responses are all but hidden,  highlighted if clicked on.
View Quote

It works maybe 2/3 of the time for me. Ive noticed it for a few weeks.

The new in thread post ignore is GREAT though.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By laxman09:

It works maybe 2/3 of the time for me. Ive noticed it for a few weeks.

The new in thread post ignore is GREAT though.
View Quote

That shit is priceless.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I love the new ignore format. If I put someone on the list, that means that I don't consider anything that they say to be worth my time to see, and with the gray bars gone now I don't even notice that they're there. It's great, just as it should be.

Until someone quotes them.

When the mods figure out how to fix that it'll be perfect.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:08:32 PM EDT
[#8]
What I see on mobile, (there are 3 threads by 2 separate ignored members):

Attachment Attached File

No "heads up" regarding ignored member threads.

Once clicked on, the OP is highlighted ( shaded).

Posts from any ignored members now show as such in threads.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:59:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Thread titles for ignored members still unmarked for me.

GoatBoy......any idea WTF is going on?
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote
Clear cache & cookies. Reboot.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By bigsapper:
Clear cache & cookies. Reboot.
View Quote

Done.

No love.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:51:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Thread titles are not marked for me as well.  

Not thrilled about the ignore changes either.  I had a script that listed the ignore reason for the person which helped filter the noise and provided context about why they were ignored.  The new feature doesn't even provide a name much less any context.  Half the time I still read the ignore posts, it all depends on who it is and why I ignored them.  That context should have been added as a useful feature to the site, not hiding more information and losing context.

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 6:32:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SWIRE:
Thread titles are not marked for me as well.  

Not thrilled about the ignore changes either.  I had a script that listed the ignore reason for the person which helped filter the noise and provided context about why they were ignored.  The new feature doesn't even provide a name much less any context.  Half the time I still read the ignore posts, it all depends on who it is and why I ignored them.  That context should have been added as a useful feature to the site, not hiding more information and losing context.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/680/reason2_JPG-2161668.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/680/reason1_JPG-2161669.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/680/reason3_JPG-2161681.jpg
View Quote

Hadn't even noticed that much.

That does suck, for sure.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By GoatBoy:

I'll tweak it. So in tools it's still the old way, but for normal browsing they are hidden (thread titles) and in posts are collapsed into a very small link only on the left. It was only applied to the General board though. All other boards they show up normal as per a request from members. (Tech info, ee listings, etc.) I can set it back to at least being highlighted in outside forums to stand out. (To avoid EE listings, etc from a user you don't like.)
View Quote

Thank you sir.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:27:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Whew, I don't appear to be on any of y'all's list. lol.

GB, any way to make it a choice under the user CP?

I use ignore more like a warning of possible derp, missing underscore or questionable content on a specific single topic ahead.
Saves me some time too when I just want to quick scan a thread for info, and eliminate some potential "noise".
Most of the time I read all posts. Not a snowflake, it's just nice as a heads up.
" '21 Glowies" is my main category. Like I said, a nice heads up.

Get over it noobs. You might be worth reconsideration some day. It's one special breed.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 2:49:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 11:58:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Enzo300:

GB, any way to make it a choice under the user CP?

I use ignore more like a warning of possible derp, missing underscore or questionable content on a specific single topic ahead.
Saves me some time too when I just want to quick scan a thread for info, and eliminate some potential "noise".
View Quote

That is how I use it too, to highlight possible noise.  I still read a lot of posts from people on Ignore depending on the topic and how much time I have and will even respond to them from time to time.  On the collapsed ignored posts why does the expanded version need font colors or backgrounds that make it difficult to read especially if they quoted someone?  This disrupts the process of communication and community with people that I may support.  

I also would like to see threads by people on Ignore, the previous grayed threads feature worked well.  Just because someone might be noise doesn't mean the entire topic they are posting about is noise or that everyone posting in it is noise.  Dupes aren't allowed, so by not showing an entire thread means all conversation about that topic is lost.  That again disrupts the community aspect of the forum and will result in more dupes being created.

Link Posted: 12/4/2021 1:11:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SWIRE] [#19]
Are people in GD so sensitive now they get triggered just by seeing threads by someone they have on ignore or seeing the username in a gray bar?  That is just sad.  They can just skip over threads/posts and not click them if the hate the poster so much.  If they can't handle that then they really shouldn't be in GD.  Back in the old days GD required thick skin and flame suites.  Now we have triggered snowflakes who are melting because they see a specific user name.  

I've gone the opposite route.  I finally brushed up on my jquery and rewrote my "Ignore Context" script.  Now it provides even more context about the user on Ignore instead of hiding their username and the ignored post in a little tiny link on the left.

This is contextual information that my new Ignore Context script produces in place of the minimalistic black bar with no info.  The username, their join date, their location, and the reason they are ignored.

The reason is the most important piece for filtering out noise.  Take a look at the first one, join date a month before the 2020 election, was spouting all sorts of crazy nonsense about the election, and now is trying to turn people away from support anything DeSantis does.  They could be a hard core right winger or they could be share blue, correct the record, or some new disinformation operation being put on by the left.  These posts I would still read but now I have more context on their motive.

The second one is pretty clear, it is nothing personal they just post stuff I find completely stupid.  No point in even bothering to click to expand.

The third one likes to stir up and stalk me around the forum bashing me in unrelated threads.  They made it personal, I don't know why, so I just ignore them.  I would still read their threads and posts, I just wouldn't bother replying to them.

The fourth is someone that seemed decent most of the time, then went off the deep end during the election, then was getting people confused and lashing out at everyone accusing them of things others were saying.  Perhaps he is going through a bad time and was drinking heavily during that period.  I wouldn't write them off completely and would read their posts and maybe respond.

The next two are some of the many new accounts trying hard to sow dissent, get people to agree with criminal activity, or say things that try to make the entire site look bad by association.

This not only provides context about these accounts but it is also a privacy/security issue.  One of the election nuts who posted heavily trying to rile people up before Jan 6th created a thread the other month asking people what their favorite gun was and of course people started posting pictures of their own guns.  Is that user just interested in what is going on or are they a fed agent provocateur and people now just gave him pictures of their firearms?  Another one of the 21er accounts was making comments like "we all make racists statements, have you found yourself making more of them lately like I have?".  Why would a brand new account act like they have been here for a long time and then out right state everyone here is racist under the guise of just making a statement about himself?

Posting on social media is like walking through a minefield, more context not less is helpful.  

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 1:05:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Opening a topic only to find that it's ignorance that I'm attempting to avoid is a pisser.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Please make it so thread titles for ignored users are shaded/highlighted.

I'm tired of wasting my time on those that aren't worth it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#22]
No joy.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#23]
FFS!

Bring back the feature.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:01:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Agreed.  Make threads started by those on the ignore list visible again and have them shown in gray.   That way we see everything and can choose if we do or don't want to read a thread.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Agreed.  Make threads started by those on the ignore list visible again and have them shown in gray.   That way we see everything and can choose if we do or don't want to read a thread.
View Quote

I've clicked on 5-7 threads this week alone only to find out once there that it's more of same ignorance from the same crowd.

Exactly what I'm attempting to avoid.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#26]

I've clicked on 5-7 threads this week alone only to find out once there that it's more of same ignorance from the same crowd.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Was that in GD or other forums?  It was my understanding threads created by someone on the ignore list in GD were completely hidden but were handled differently in other forums.  I mostly visit GD.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:52:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Was that in GD or other forums?  It was my understanding threads created by someone on the ignore list in GD were completely hidden but were handled differently in other forums.  I mostly visit GD.
View Quote

95% of my activities here are in AR discussion and the EE.

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 4:01:11 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

They are:

*note I only ignored him because he changed the thread to some eye watering obnoxious color.  

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 4:19:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By FDC:

They are:

*note I only ignored him because he changed the thread to some eye watering obnoxious color.  

https://i.postimg.cc/W4x2tWkv/Capture.jpg
View All Quotes

They are:

There are multiple threads in this screen grab by members on my ignore list:

Attachment Attached File

And 1 in this:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 4:28:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FDC] [#30]
View All Quotes

They are:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/416992/Screenshot_20220211-141717_Samsung_Inter-2275685.JPG

And 1 in this:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/416992/Screenshot_20220211-141731_Samsung_Inter-2275686.JPG

I've logged in on mobile once in the last 15 years, so that isn't really an issue here but maybe it simply doesn't work that way on mobile?
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 4:34:15 PM EDT
[#31]

I've logged in on mobile once in the last 15 years, so that isn't really an issue here but maybe it simply doesn't work that way on mobile?
View Quote

If I post in the thread or am subscribed then the title is shaded.(Defeating the sole purpose).

It's fuckey.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 11:28:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Can we please get back the user names on posts in a thread that are being ignored?

The current Ukraine thread is a great example of where that would greatly help.

I have no desire to open posts from the obvious pro-Putin/Russia shills (which for some reason aren't being banned from here outright ) but I may consider reading content from others I have on ignore for various reasons. A visible reason for being on my ignore list would be icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 12:16:36 AM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes

They are:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/416992/Screenshot_20220211-141717_Samsung_Inter-2275685.JPG

And 1 in this:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/416992/Screenshot_20220211-141731_Samsung_Inter-2275686.JPG

I believe that is how the other forums work but GD the thread titles are hidden.  Look at the shading of the threads, the color should alternate every row but there are bunches like 2 darker gray together and 3 lighter gray together.  That means multiple thread titles are being hidden.  

Link Posted: 3/1/2022 12:48:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Turn it off and turn it on again...
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By feudist:
Turn it off and turn it on again...
View Quote

If only......
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 6:50:05 PM EDT
[#36]
I wish it worked in ARL.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 10:48:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Still like to see this feature in the thread titles while in the EE and Tech...

Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:22:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Illl check it out again.
View Quote

Thank you sir.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Bro how many people are in your ignore list?

Damn.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

Damn.
View Quote

Everyone except you.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 4:12:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SWIRE] [#42]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

Everyone except you.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

Damn.

Everyone except you.

Is it over 500?  That's about how many I have on mine but 2/3 of them are Qtard type people from the 2020 election who repeated every stupid conspiracy idea out there.  Some of the reasons.  Knowing how Jan 6 turned out and the Michigan Governor's case I wonder how many of the people encouraging others to start a war were ATF plants.

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:56:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#43]

Is it over 500?  That's about how many I have on mine but 2/3 of them are Qtard type people from the 2020 election who repeated every stupid conspiracy idea out there.  Some of the reasons.  Knowing how Jan 6 turned out and the Michigan Governor's case I wonder how many of the people encouraging others to start a war were ATF plants.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/680/ignore-2692729.png
View Quote

Nowhere near.

90% of my list consists of EE fuckery/who not to deal with.

There are a few that just constantly spew shit, stir shit, derail, or start ignorant threads constantly in Tech as well.  

Rather not waste my time separating the wheat from the chaff when a simple tool can do it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 1:03:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Still an unnecessary PITA.

Link Posted: 12/25/2023 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#45]
I might be able to write a userscript that will do what you want.  I rarely venture out of GD, where ignored user threads are hidden completely.  But I have been reading more under the Armory section lately.  It might be pretty straight forward.  

Do your primarily use mobile?  Not sure if that would change how to load a user script or what it would need to run.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 8:54:47 AM EDT
[#46]
I might be able to write a userscript that will do what you want.  I rarely venture out of GD, where ignored user threads are hidden completely.  But I have been reading more under the Armory section lately.  It might be pretty straight forward.  

Do your primarily use mobile?  Not sure if that would change how to load a user script or what it would need to run.
View Quote

Yes, mobile primarily.

And I am complete opposite of you as I rarely end up in GD, the majority of my time here is spent in Tech/EE.

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 3:24:37 PM EDT
[#47]

I'll tweak it. So in tools it's still the old way, but for normal browsing they are hidden (thread titles) and in posts are collapsed into a very small link only on the left. It was only applied to the General board though. All other boards they show up normal as per a request from members. (Tech info, ee listings, etc.) I can set it back to at least being highlighted in outside forums to stand out. (To avoid EE listings, etc from a user you don't like.)
View All Quotes

@GoatBoy

Anything in the works?
(I know that you're busy like a cat covering shit).
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Let us ignore forums.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top