Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/4/2024 10:07:21 PM EDT
I’m planning on picking one up on Monday, it will be a DD for me with the occasional towing of a 5,500 lb camper to local parks in the flatlands of Indiana. I know there will be naysayers but I only would like to hear from those that have one. What are your thoughts? Just about every YouTube video on the truck is positive for the most part.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:32:41 PM EDT
[#1]
@midcap
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:26:42 AM EDT
[#2]
But why?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:02:44 AM EDT
[#3]
LS3 swap it.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:25:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AS556] [#4]
I have one in a 24 Trail Boss. Lot of torque, accelerates fast, 20 on Highway and 16 combined. I haven’t tried towing with it but 5500 should be fine.

I’ve only put 2000 miles on it so time will tell. It’s a relatively complex engine though.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:30:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:
But why?
View Quote
Why TURBOCHARGE puny fragile  shitbox four bangers, when for LESS MONEY you can Turbo Charge  a V8 ?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:30:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#6]
Originally Posted By AS556:
I have one in a 24 Trail Boss. Lot of torque, accelerates fast, 20 on Highway and 16 combined. I haven’t tried towing with it but 5500 should be fine.

I’ve only put 2000 miles on it so time will tell. It’s a relatively complex engine though.

https://i.ibb.co/6tptpcb/IMG-7512.jpg
View Quote

Is this the inline 6, thought it was a 3.0L.  ETA...nope, totally different, I am think of the 1500 baby Dmax.

I am looking to see what the length of the block is, any specs I have found does not contain any size/measurement information....
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:36:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#7]
Originally Posted By Positronic:
Why TURBOCHARGE puny fragile  shitbox four bangers, when for LESS MONEY you can Turbo Charge  a V8 ?
View Quote

Its a toss up on which one will last longer, both engines have gotten fucked by the EPA.  Diesels for all the emissions stuff like EGR and shit.  The gas engines are having hell with the cylinder deactivation crap.  The Diesel has more TQ factory and better fuel mileage towing.  Pick the options you can live with....like if you want to have any type of warranty.

ETA....humm.... I admit I thought this was a diesel, it is not.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:40:29 AM EDT
[#8]
The little four cylinders don't come with the better 10 speed trans, if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:59:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ThEWayOftheGUn1] [#9]
The new Silverados with the Turbomax now has 5yr/100000 mile warranty. If you are buying used or a Colorado with the 2.7 that may not apply.
This guy does a decent engine review. Read the YT comments by a few folks that have high mileage. That’s who you want feedback from.
Chevy 1500 2.7L TURBO 4 Cylinder (L3B) **Heavy Mechanic Review** | Should You Buy It ??
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:12:23 AM EDT
[#10]
That video review pretty much made me give up any hope on that engine.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:18:46 AM EDT
[#11]
From what I understand it's a pretty shit engine. If you really want a small displacement turbo go grab a 2.7 EcoBoost. It's probably the most trouble free engine in the F150 lineup and it will blow the mother fucking doors off of the 2.7 i4 in the Chevrolet.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:43:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a 2023 Trail Boss with the 2.7 turbomax and it has been good so far but I only have 12,000 miles on it. I pull a trailer with some 4-wheelers (about 3100lbs) and it does fine, pulled a 7000lb trailer once and it did fine too just noticed the weight more since it's a half ton truck.
It has an 8-speed transmission instead of 10-speed because instead of gearing down the engine just adds boost allowing it to keep the same rpms with less gears. I have heard that the 8 speed transmission can be the weak spot in the truck but so far I haven't had any problems.
The truck does what I want,  plenty of power, quiet, capable off road getting to my hunting spots.
I believe it will be replacing the 5.3 liter V8 that chevrolet currently offers.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:18:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RIP-Yataski] [#13]
Originally Posted By ThEWayOftheGUn1:
The new Silverados with the Turbomax now has 5yr/100000 mile warranty. If you are buying used or a Colorado with the 2.7 that may not apply.
This guy does a decent engine review. Read the YT comments by a few folks that have high mileage. That’s who you want feedback from.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFoRDdBkNQc
View Quote

Hmmm...a sideways engine on a rear wheel drive truck. Wonder what that drivetrain looks like and how many failure points it has.

3-pos sliding cam
(2) crank balancing shafts
Carbon buildup by 60-80k miles
Turbo
Gas mileage no better than a 2000 v8 pickup
Whatever else he said about negatives

Any positives are 100% negated by that stuff...

...hard pass unless there were 0.0 other options available

ETA: Crossed out wrong info...
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:28:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By RIP-Yataski:

Hmmm...a sideways engine on a rear wheel drive truck. Wonder what that drivetrain looks like and how many failure points it has.

3-pos sliding cam
Turbo

View Quote

And the piece of shit 8 speed
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:31:37 AM EDT
[#15]

3-pos sliding cam
Turbo

View Quote

Maybe I misunderstood your comment.....go to 9:46 of the video posted.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:35:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:42:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Quintin:
If you'd told me 20+ years ago that we'd have full size pickups with turbo four and six cylinders, and they would be good and powerful, I would have told you back then that there ain't no way.  Crazy times today.
View Quote
That still seems to be the case.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:46:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Quintin] [#18]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:49:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

3-pos sliding cam
Turbo

Watched the whole video. Did I miss sonething. Thought he said that the 4-cylinder engine was sideways (my wording) or vertical? (his wording?) which means its orientated like a typical 4-cylinder would be in a front wheel drive car.
  I totally missed it if he stated otherwise...
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:54:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Nosler180:
I have a 2023 Trail Boss with the 2.7 turbomax and it has been good so far but I only have 12,000 miles on it. I pull a trailer with some 4-wheelers (about 3100lbs) and it does fine, pulled a 7000lb trailer once and it did fine too just noticed the weight more since it's a half ton truck.
It has an 8-speed transmission instead of 10-speed because instead of gearing down the engine just adds boost allowing it to keep the same rpms with less gears. I have heard that the 8 speed transmission can be the weak spot in the truck but so far I haven't had any problems.
The truck does what I want,  plenty of power, quiet, capable off road getting to my hunting spots.
I believe it will be replacing the 5.3 liter V8 that chevrolet currently offers.
View Quote

I watched a YT video where a guy towed 10k lbs in the hills and that little engine didn't bog down at all. It seems it does a good job at what  half tons do
I doubt I will keep it once I hit 100k miles but who knows....
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:58:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I bought one recently. It gets a combined 19mpg. Plenty of power which surprised me. I needed a DD that wasn't a total pig on fuel. So far it has been solid.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:59:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Watched the whole video. Did I miss sonething. Thought he said that the 4-cylinder engine was sideways (my wording) or vertical? (his wording?) which means its orientated like a typical 4-cylinder would be in a front wheel drive car.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

It’s not transverse mounted like a car
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:02:36 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm one of those dudes that don't understand what some of y'all are doing to your cars and trucks where they explode and fall apart.
View Quote
I'm with you on that one.

I've driven ~440k miles on 4 GM pickups between professional and personal needs with (2) repairs.  A defroster fan motor and a HVAC controller.  The 2 work units had the 5.3, 1 personal had the 4.3, and currently driving an L5P.  They've been great.

In the past I have posted some of my then employer's fleet data and it falls on deaf ears.  It's all junk unless it's a Tacoma.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#24]
My neighbor has one. All I know about them is that it sounds like one of the flying cars from the Jetsons when he drives by.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:05:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By heavy260:

View All Quotes

Well, that makes alot more sense. Thanks...
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:18:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By MethaneMover:
I'm with you on that one.

I've driven ~440k miles on 4 GM pickups between professional and personal needs with (2) repairs.  A defroster fan motor and a HVAC controller.  The 2 work units had the 5.3, 1 personal had the 4.3, and currently driving an L5P.  They've been great.

In the past I have posted some of my then employer's fleet data and it falls on deaf ears.  It's all junk unless it's a Tacoma.  
View Quote

My experience with GM has been similar. I typically keep them 6 years or more. I had the infotainment screen die on the last one but that was the only problem with that truck. The one before that had the starter go out in the 8th year of ownership. I looked at Toyota and their mileage sucked and the looks don't appeal to me.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By onthebreeze:

And the piece of shit 8 speed
View Quote

Correct.  Has been, and remains, a deal breaker.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:21:34 AM EDT
[#28]
I have the 6.2l in my truck but I have driven a few of the 2.7Ls in loaner trucks.   It makes decent power and accelerates pretty close to a 5.3L truck.  The gas mileage for me was a little worse than my truck.   The only thing I would be concerned about is longevity.   The 8 speed trans problems appear to be solved by them getting the fluid type right.   My 8 speed was rebuilt at 77k and I'm at 200k now.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By TODD-67:

My experience with GM has been similar. I typically keep them 6 years or more. I had the infotainment screen die on the last one but that was the only problem with that truck. The one before that had the starter go out in the 8th year of ownership. I looked at Toyota and their mileage sucked and the looks don't appeal to me.
View Quote
I guess I need to add in a 3rd repair- the info screen on my HD is on the fritz.  

So far I've not found anything fwature/function that can't be executed via the buttons or speech controls and I loathe touchscreens so I'm going to unplug the digitizer.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:25:51 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

what da fuck dis mean?

you think its cheaper to buy a v8 truck and turbo it then to buy a truck with a turbo 4?

or is it some weird comparison where it would be better to buy some old v8 truck and hack together a turbo engine?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:29:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#31]

View Quote

ETA....beat

He said most 4 cylinder engines are faced horizontally, this one is in the proper direction and longitudinally.  Now honestly it is faced in the proper direction for a vehicle with any RWD capabilities, a FWD car it makes sense to put it horizontally.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:30:26 AM EDT
[#32]

He said most 4 cylinder engines are faced horizontally, this one is in the proper direction and longitudinally.  Now honestly it is faced in the proper direction for a vehicle with any RWD capabilities, a FWD car it makes sense to put it horizontally.
View Quote

The term he's looking for is transverse.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:31:58 AM EDT
[#33]
I have the 6.2L in mine. I just can’t see owning a full size truck without an 8 cylinder be it the 5.3 or the 6.2. I’m just not into these smaller engines with turbos
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:39:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Ghostface:

I watched a YT video where a guy towed 10k lbs in the hills and that little engine didn't bog down at all. It seems it does a good job at what  half tons do
View Quote

There's no fucking way a half ton towed 10k through any sort of hills without struggling, let alone that engine.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:40:29 AM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nosler180:

The diesel mechanic with the YT review earlier in the thread also did a towing video with the turbomax.
Chevy 1500 2.7L TURBO MAX 4 cylinder (L3B) **Heavy Mechanic Review** | How Does it TOW??

I get 13mpg pulling my 4-wheelers to my land on the plateau, 50% hwy and 50% back roads, regular driving (no trailer) I get 20 hwy and 16 around town, but my truck has mud tires and a 2" lift. I go out west a couple times a year and with cruise set at 77 mph I get around 20 mpg.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#36]

ETA....beat

View Quote

Originally Posted By AgeOne:

The term he's looking for is transverse.
View Quote

10-4, appreciate the clarifications & info.

I did edit my original post to strike the comment that I was wrong about but didn't edit any subsequent posts/replies...
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:53:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By BigHumidity:

There's no fucking way a half ton towed 10k through any sort of hills without struggling, let alone that engine.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BigHumidity:

With a hair dryer and 8 gears it wouldn’t be an issue. Always in the boost and correct gear.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:59:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By madmathew:
I have the 6.2l in my truck but I have driven a few of the 2.7Ls in loaner trucks.   It makes decent power and accelerates pretty close to a 5.3L truck.  The gas mileage for me was a little worse than my truck.   The only thing I would be concerned about is longevity.   The 8 speed trans problems appear to be solved by them getting the fluid type right.   My 8 speed was rebuilt at 77k and I'm at 200k now.
View Quote

They did some engineering changes to the 8spd. At least that’s what the engineers said in a video I watched. Couple that with the fluid change and they should have everything right. Time will tell though.

The 4L60 got a bad rap but I had over 160k on one when I sold and it was still on the road 3 years later. All I do was replace the fluid 3x and put in a Vette servo. I wasn’t grandpa jones with that truck either. It was well used LOL.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#39]
I have one in my 23 Colorado ZR2.
I like it.  Plenty of power.  Reasonable economy.  Hauls my 3,250 lb travel trailer just fine.  Oil and filter changes are easy.  Plugs too, when I have to get to it.

I've always been a Ford or Jeep guy.  This was my first new Chevy in 40 years so I did a fair amount of research before purchase.  The engine has been around for 5 years in full size trucks and seems to be doing fine.  Looking at Silverado and Colorado forums there are not a lot of complaints about it.  GM is even putting it in some Cadillacs now.

I watched a few interviews with one of the engineers that was on the design team and came away impressed.  This was one of them.
Chevy's Newest Truck Engine Is Hiding These SECRET Features: Here Are the Details!

Anyway, so far, no complaints with engine or the 8L80 transmission.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:02:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FreefallRet] [#40]
If you'd told me 20+ years ago that we'd have full size pickups with turbo four and six cylinders, and they would be good and powerful, I would have told you back then that there ain't no way.  Crazy times today.
View Quote
Yea but will they last to 321k miles like my 2003 GM V8?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By madmathew:
View Quote
Transmission rebuild at 77k

I haven't done a transmission fluid change since 90k and mine has 321k on it.

I guess you do a lot of towing?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:20:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ALostKey] [#42]
Attachment Attached File

50/50 city/highway. I don’t see the point of the 2.7. I’ve averaged 18 since I’ve had the truck.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't see the point of the 2.7.
View Quote

CAFE! I bet the test is largely conducted just below boost.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:33:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: diamondd817] [#44]
I have the 5.3 in mine but I test drove both extensively before buying. The 2.7 sounds great on paper but doesn't live up to the hype, even with almost 50 lb-ft more torque than the 5.3. I found the 5.3 is a full second quicker to 60 mph, and widens the gap even more into the 1/4 mile. This is probably why you can't find official performance numbers published anywhere for the 2.7. The 5.3 also performs much better at highway speeds when you need to pass. The 2.7 falls flat on highway passing. There is almost no fuel mileage benefit over the 5.3, and the 5.3 just sounds better. Plus you get GM's possibly best transmission ever made with  5.3 - the 10 speed. GM is still having lawsuits filed against them over that 8 speed, but they still put it in vehicles for some reason.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:37:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Square66] [#45]

They did some engineering changes to the 8spd. At least that’s what the engineers said in a video I watched. Couple that with the fluid change and they should have everything right. Time will tell though.

The 4L60 got a bad rap but I had over 160k on one when I sold and it was still on the road 3 years later. All I do was replace the fluid 3x and put in a Vette servo. I wasn’t grandpa jones with that truck either. It was well used LOL.
View Quote

The 4L60s are fine when serviced regularly and the owner isn’t an idiot and trying to tow in overdrive.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:40:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By diamondd817:
I have the 5.3 in mine but I test drive both extensively before buying. The 2.7 sounds great on paper but doesn't live up to the hype, even with almost 50 lb-ft more torque than the 5.3. I found the 5.3 is a full second quicker to 60 mph, and widens the gap even more into the 1/4 mile. This is probably why you can't find official performance numbers published anywhere for the2.7. The 5.3 also performs much better at highway speeds when you need to pass. The 2.7 falls flat on highway passing. There is almost no fuel mileage benefit over the 5.3, and the 5.3 just sounds way better. Plus you get probably GM's best transmission ever made with  5.3 - the 10 speed. GM is still having lawsuits filed against them over that 8 speed, but they still put it in vehicles for some reason.
View Quote
I'm not arguing your data or experience,  but ETs are not a good way to judge pickups.

A huge 2.7 ding is the 8 speed.  I want to know if the 2.7 electromechanical deactivation is better than the 5.3s oil pressure lifter method.   Better would be none, but that's not an option.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:00:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: diamondd817] [#47]
Originally Posted By DriftPunch:
I'm not arguing your data or experience,  but ETs are not a good way to judge pickups.

A huge 2.7 ding is the 8 speed.  I want to know if the 2.7 electromechanical deactivation is better than the 5.3s oil pressure lifter method.   Better would be none, but that's not an option.
View Quote

0-60 and 1/4 mile times have been the benchmark to gauge engine power/performance across all vehicle types forever.

Again, there is a reason you can't find official performance numbers on the 2.7. I'm pretty sure GM isn't letting Road &Track, Motortrend, Etc., publish it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:03:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: curiomatic] [#48]
View Quote

The 2.7 Turbomax's block looks it was built for a Diesel.  It doesn't appear to be puny and fragile.
I might buy a Colorado with a 2.7 if they made one with a 6' box.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:32:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: diamondd817] [#49]
Originally Posted By curiomatic:

The 2.7 Turbomax's block looks it was built for a Diesel.  It doesn't appear to be puny and fragile.
I might buy a Colorado with a 2.7 if they made one with a 6' box.
View Quote

This is true. It's an early stage engine with a lot of potential for sure. But they really need to bump the horsepower side. When it gets to 400hp/450lbft I'll be a buyer.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By AS556:
I have one in a 24 Trail Boss. Lot of torque, accelerates fast, 20 on Highway and 16 combined. I haven't tried towing with it but 5500 should be fine.

I've only put 2000 miles on it so time will tell. It's a relatively complex engine though.

https://i.ibb.co/6tptpcb/IMG-7512.jpg
View Quote
Beautiful truck.

My 3/4 ton duramax gets similar mileage.  16 combined, 19 highway if I keep under 75 in the warmer months. mileage sucks donkey balls in the winter
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top