Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2024 11:19:00 AM EDT
Many years ago while I was in college, my friend and I were sitting around one night talking about recent great movies. One we both agreed on was Master and Commander: Far Side of the World. My friend remarked how he didn't think that Russell Crowe was the best fit for the character of Captain Jack Aubrey. I asked him what he meant, thinking Russell's performance was superb. He replied that he pictured him much more portly "in the books." The conversation moved on and I didn't think much of it.
Many years later I was listening to a podcast (Art of Manliness) and the host was interviewing a man who studied the great libraries, studies, and books of great men. When asked what the most common book he saw throughout these collections of great men was, he replied "the Aubrey Maturin series." He went on to say that the fact a fiction book was the most common surprised him. However, the book has great lessons about leadership. There were also a lot of other elements that make great men read it.
Listening to this podcast, I immediately took note of this series, I didn't know what he was talking about. I started looking into it and got a copy of the first novel Master and Commander from my local library. It's now about two years later and I am approaching the end of the series, 21 books later. I don't read them back to back, I swap between series and nonfiction in between Aubrey/Maturin books. Patrick O'Brian is the author and his knowledge of the time period is second to none. He builds a world that is quite easy to immerse yourself into. His use of language, the intimate knowledge of sailing, the plethora of colorful characters... It's all just an amazing reading experience! How did this escape me for so long?!
If you are unaware of this series as I once was, please take this as your notice that you are missing out. Go and look up Patrick O'Brian and start with Master and Commander (Book 1). You will want to read them in order. If you go and give it an honest try, I would love that of all things!
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Putting it on the pile, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Remember, fire on the uproll, boys!
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#3]
The movie is fantastic, but after reading the series you are likely to feel a bit let down by the movie. O'Brian's prose and storytelling ability is just that good. The series is definitely a must-read.
For those who are intimidated by the sheer volume of the series, you can take it in 2 bites. It was originally intended to be only the first 12 volumes, but the public reception (overseas: it was almost unknown in the U.S.) was so great that the publishers prevailed upon O'Brian to write more, but book 12 winds everything up nicely. However, by that time you'll be hooked, and end up reading all 21 books.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 4:07:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Movies can almost never convey the detail & thought process that text can. But that doesn't detract from the quality of what a truly good film can deliver, & in this case, it does that. Great performances throughout in that film, both onscreen & behind (ie. Directing, editing, set pieces, costumes, etc). The synergy is evident in the movie's production. The Gallapigos island chapter was very interesting just on its own.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 9:28:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I will preface this by saying I just started reading them, am on book 5 now.
I still intend to read them all, but if you are comparing to the movie, I find the movie was better.

the movie was better paced and had very little land interaction, the book is mainly them on land and their adventures/drama during that time with only a few chapters at sea.
I still enjoy the books, but they are different enough, to not really be the same other than the character names amd setting. the doc has more depth and by far is more interesting than the movie version.

again, not to say the books aren't good, but they don't really measure up to the movie.

I guess I compare hornblower tv movies vs the books and find they are very similar.
or the expanse book and show.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I knew it would be the Aubrey-Maturin series before I opened this thread.
I also thought Russel Crowe did a great job in the film, but I saw the film before I started reading the series. It's a different take on the character, but I have no issue with that since it was still good.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:33:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Then do Sharpe.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top