Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/29/2024 10:31:19 AM EDT
Two young men, one dead another seriously injured, after encountering a mountain lion in El Dorado County CA. (FOX40)
Neither of them had a firearm, and tried using physical force and a backpack (lol), to fight off a full grown male mountain lion.
Deputies show up later, only to scare off the mountain lion by firing several rounds and watching it immediately run away.
I couldn't imagine being the moronic parents of these guys knowing all they needed was a handgun to carry out in the wilderness. People are getting themselves killed because it's not socially acceptable to protect yourself.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:32:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Darwin is a bitch

Let the culling begin
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:32:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Lions never attacked people in the Disney movies? WTF Nature why you so scary!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:33:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HDLS] [#3]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:39:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Is it legal to carry in a CA park?

The oldest brother was 21, so he might not have had time to even go through the process to buy a handgun in CA.

Sad story.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:40:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WhenWolf] [#5]
not sure but apparently they were avid "hunters and fishers" which makes zero sense as to why neither of them had a firearm.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By WhenWolf:
People are getting themselves killed because it's not socially acceptable to protect yourself.
View Quote

For the amount of people out in the California wilderness, the death rate from mountain lions is astronomically low.

Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t want to carry something, but on the risk analysis list, it’s down at the bottom.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#7]
In their defense merely possesing a handgun does not guarantee one survives a lion attack.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#8]
yeah thats why it immediately ran away from eating one of the bodies after police fired a couple rounds
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:45:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: warlord] [#9]
Many Kalifornians don't know that you should NOT approach animals in the wild, they even have laws with that in mind. People that approach like sea lions, seals etc can be fined by Fish & Game.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fike:

For the amount of people out in the California wilderness, the death rate from mountain lions is astronomically low.

Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t want to carry something, but on the risk analysis list, it’s down at the bottom.

View Quote

Nobody ever should be wandering out in the wilderness without substantial means of protecting yourself. It's extremely basic.
The "risk factor being low" clearly didn't matter in this situation.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I spent a good chunk of my youth in the northern Rockies, and never once went into the woods unarmed.  Hell, a lion killed one my neighbor's horses in broad daylight . . . less than a quarter mile from a blacktop road.

I don't think I ever encountered a tourist who was carrying anything more than a can of bear spray, and even that was rare.  Always thought they were either naive, stupid, or crazy.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:49:26 AM EDT
[#12]
A sensible man!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:51:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Lion 2 : soy fuckers 0
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:53:39 AM EDT
[#14]
While I agree, millions of people go hiking without a gun and nothing ever happens.     It's like telling surfers to go surfing with a spear gun every time because they may be attacked by a shark.

Shit happens.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:54:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Libertas] [#15]
CA Fish and Game:  "The actions they took were what we advise people to do in that type of scenario, and unfortunately, it wasn't enough"  

How about changing the advice to "Carry a Firearm when out in areas where there are things that can kill you"
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:55:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fike] [#16]

Nobody ever should be wandering out in the wilderness without substantial means of protecting yourself. It's extremely basic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I don’t disagree on being armed, but the risk factor was successful for millions of others.

The current rate/trend is five every hundred years.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#17]

I don’t disagree on being armed, but the risk factor was successful for millions of others.

View Quote

That doesnt matter if you are one of the five.    Carry a gun, bring a friend and make sure he has a gun too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:57:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I treat the woods like I treat everywhere else.  I carry a gun.

At least an animal won't kill me for fun.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By akrado:
Is it legal to carry in a CA park?

The oldest brother was 21, so he might not have had time to even go through the process to buy a handgun in CA.

Sad story.

View Quote

Don’t really care.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By RamaSita:
In their defense merely possesing a handgun does not guarantee one survives a lion attack.
View Quote

Impossible. I thought GD told me that firearms can save me instantly.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:00:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#22]
That’s assuming whether they would have exercised the option if it was available.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#23]

IBTL...
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Save the Cat (CA Prop 117 of 1990) won voter approval these young men were born.  It needs repealing.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:05:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Ronin72:
View Quote

I think it's a bit of a leap to assume that someone who gets attacked by a wild, dangerous animal is necessarily a "soy fucker", unless that's your actual definition of the term.

I usually carry either a 1911 or a G17 with hollow-points.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#26]
It’d make more sense to carry because of cartel grow tenders in the parks more than a mountain lion attack that is ridiculously rare.
Kind of stupid to call them idiots.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Ronin72:
View Quote

These kinds of comments represent the lowest of humanity.  

What about those women in Oregon or Washington that were unarmed and managed to defend themselves against a mountain lion with their numbers and pin it down with a bike?  I guess they should have died because they weren’t carrying so much as a knife.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:06:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Two young men, one dead another seriously injured, after encountering a mountain lion in El Dorado County CA. (FOX40)
Neither of them had a firearm, and tried using physical force and a backpack (lol), to fight off a full grown male mountain lion.
Deputies show up later, only to scare off the mountain lion by firing several rounds and watching it immediately run away.
I couldn't imagine being the moronic parents of these guys knowing all they needed was a handgun to carry out in the wilderness. People are getting themselves killed because it's not socially acceptable to protect yourself.
View Quote

I don’t know the story but weren’t they kids? Seems harsh.

They need to allow hunting of MLs
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By JimmyAR:
While I agree, millions of people go hiking without a gun and nothing ever happens.     It's like telling surfers to go surfing with a spear gun every time because they may be attacked by a shark.

Shit happens.
View Quote

The analogy isn’t so great because a speargun would be too cumbersome on a surfboard.  A rifle is a pain to carry while hiking, but with a sling, it’s doable, a handgun more than doable.  It really should be a matter of personal choice for each individual, but in some places it’s at best a legally gray area to carry a firearm when in the wilderness.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:10:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fike] [#30]
Originally Posted By FlyingIllini:

That doesnt matter if you are one of the five.    Carry a gun, bring a friend and make sure he has a gun too.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FlyingIllini:

I don’t disagree, but clutching pearls and calling people idiots is a spurious assessment of probability and reality in this case.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Soy boys?  They were outdoorsmen I’m guessing pro gun too.

you can’t have a gun all the time
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#32]

Shit happens.
View Quote
That is one seriously retarded statement.

Hiking with a handgun is EASY. Surfing with a speargun is IMPOSSIBLE. I'm surprised your brain actually came up with that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:25:27 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

Sounds like not having one guarantees you have no chance of deterring an attack.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:30:43 AM EDT
[#34]
That’s terrible. Going into the woods is exactly why one of my ccw guns is a G20sf. My county allows for 3 ccw guns. My G19 gets used 90% of the time and the LCP for when it’s appropriate and the G20 with 16rds (plus a spare Mag on me) of Double Tap 180g JHP when out in the woods.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:

Sounds like not having one guarantees you have no chance of deterring an attack.
View Quote

Wasn’t there a story a couple weeks ago of some grannies getting attacked? They lived.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:35:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CenterMass762] [#36]

Shit happens.
View Quote

Except it's impossible to surf with a spear gun and simple to hike with a gun on your hip.

Millions of people run around in everyday life without being robbed or murdered but I still carry a gun because the chance of it happening isn't zero. The downsides, however, are zero.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

Guns are dangerous and cause gun violence....

Only our superiors in government need guns...

🫠
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:35:37 AM EDT
[#38]
If we had a pro-gun organization that actually fought for our rights instead of buying suits for its president, every time something like this happens and the victim was prohibited from carrying a gun by law that gun organization should sue the government for being an accessory to murder.  Also in the suit: Any organizations or people complicit in bringing the restrictions to pass.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:36:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Here’s a picture of the “soy fuckers”

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:39:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Glock4140:
Soy boys?  They were outdoorsmen I’m guessing pro gun too.

you can’t have a gun all the time
View Quote

Yeah.

My initial reaction is: aww, OP wants to fit in with GD.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:44:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Scalped:

Yeah.

View Quote

This thread is a great example of why this place needs a purge.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Mars87:
Here’s a picture of the “soy fuckers”

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/198994/IMG_0036-3172744.jpg
View Quote

I remember when I was younger my buddy went to school in Oregon to play football. He invited me to come visit and took me to a frat party and every time I met one of the nice young ladies there they Almost all universally asked how it was waking up next to the ocean every morning and if I surfed. That was their view of Californians.
GD’s view is that we are all liberal fags who drive EV’s and are scared of our own shadows and we deserve to die. They are happy that wto young men died in order to reinforce their stereotype of a Californian.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Yeah.

Stricter enforcement of the CoC would go a long way toward eliminating crass, thoughtless attacks on broad groups of people.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:50:54 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm a few miles from George town... We get mountain lions, Bob cats, and previous owner states a bear... Lots of outdoor activities... I'm sure most of you did not carry in the foothills or forest in your younger years... If this happened more often, I'm sure the boys would of been more attentive with a weapon... The boy won a bad lottery of Outdoors...
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:52:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Is there a law against carrying where they were?  

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

True, but it may have increased their odds.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Thread title is wrong.  I have spent some time in CA, and was armed.  I have hiked a lot in CA, and was armed the whole time.  I have posted in GD photos of fresh lion tracks during my upland game hunts in CA, one of which was stalking me (I never saw it, but his tracks crossed mine.)

Those young men chose to go unarmed., esp. the oldest.  He was old enough to have a handgun, chose poorly.

It's a sad story, but one that's repeated every day in big cities all over the U.S.  Predators are real.  The monster under the bed is real.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:59:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Millions of people enjoy the outdoors every day and survive, armed or otherwise.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By fttam:
Millions of people enjoy the outdoors every day and survive, armed or otherwise.

View Quote

Millions of people drive every day and they're fine.  But they still wear seat belts.  At least the smart ones do.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:03:24 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

Yeah.

Post incident analysis and victim shaming is a coping mechanism (“why this wouldn’t happen to me”) that has been a GD staple forever.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top