Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2024 11:55:15 AM EDT
This one's got me stumped.

The log was a municipal compost site rescue, so could be anything.  4-6" diameter, seems to be some chatoyance to the end grain, though hard to tell because of the chainsaw cut.

Pretty sure it's not walnut... I've cut a ton of those and this ain't it.  Color's wrong, texture's wrong, bark's wrong.  

Once it warms up enough to get back out in the shop I'll mill a piece down into boards for a better look at the grain, but in the meantime it's got me puzzled.

Link Posted: 1/15/2024 12:40:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Red Maple?
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#2]
mimosa?
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:02:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m200maker] [#3]
Teak or African Shedua. Both are tropical hard woods and expensive. I made my first compound bow from Shedua.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:04:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: midmo] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TN-MadDog:
mimosa?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TN-MadDog:
mimosa?

Hmm, could be.  Matches a lot of The Wood Database's description for it.

Notes: Albizia stands as one of the few genera with a wide distribution spanning different continents where the heartwood of all species consistently fluoresces under blacklight. (This is in contrast with Afzelia, where the wood is fluorescent much less consistently and not as strongly.) A lack of fluorescence in the heartwood would generally rule out Albizia.

I've got a UV flashlight.  Experiment inbound!
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:08:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Tree of Heaven (Ailanthus altissima) would be my guess
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I realize this is a tech forum, but I truly feel we would be lacking without this.

As for actually identifying it, the bark looks like Ailanthus, or tree of paradise. It grows like a weed. The wood itself looks darker and denser than I know it to be, but I am guessing there can be quite a variation.

for what it's worth, I own this book.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the book too, and was thiiiisss close to making "In before the Yep It's Wood" meme the first post.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:34:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks nice whatever it is
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:46:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: amannamedjed] [#9]
Elm. I made some candlesticks on a lathe with some elm from my property.  Looks similar.

ETA:  if you cut or sand it and it smells like earth, that’s a good indication it is elm.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Piledriver2235:
Tree of Heaven (Ailanthus altissima) would be my guess
View Quote

That looks like a possibility too, though haven't found any really good endgrain photos yet.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By amannamedjed:
Elm. I made some candlesticks on a lathe with some elm from my property.  Looks similar.
View Quote

Very dark for elm, almost a walnut, chocolate brown.  Most of the elms I've dealt with have been more light blonde to gold-ish.  I'm not authority though; I try not to deal with elm since I'm mostly about firewood at the moment, and prefer stuff I can split with 10 cuss words or less.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:01:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 68MUDSTUD] [#12]
Kind of looks like Russian Olive, but the bark is wrong.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Ash?
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Juglans ailantifolia or Japanese walnut. It also grows near Canada along the US border. Some people call it white walnut or white butternut.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 3:05:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: midmo] [#16]
Originally Posted By midmo:

View All Quotes
Notes: Albizia stands as one of the few genera with a wide distribution spanning different continents where the heartwood of all species consistently fluoresces under blacklight. (This is in contrast with Afzelia, where the wood is fluorescent much less consistently and not as strongly.) A lack of fluorescence in the heartwood would generally rule out Albizia.

Blacklight test.  The slice of mystery wood is pretty rough and I don't have a good way to smooth it down until it gets WAY above zero in the shop (), but based on this I'm leaning towards the mimosa.  I stuck it next to a chunk of honey locust (a known "fluorescer") for comparison, and while it's not too clear on the rough cut cookie, you can definitely see bands (or at least blobs) of lime green in there.  I bet if I had another piece finished off a little smoother she'd light right up.  Oh, and plus potatocam.

Link Posted: 1/15/2024 4:01:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DADGAD] [#17]
Seeing as it is in a compost pile, still in log form, and looking at what appear to be very large growth rings, I doubt it is anything exotic or even imported to the area. I would look into what species people in your area are clearing a lot of. Your local agricultural extension office will most likely have some info on their website. I am guessing it is something along the lines of Ailantha or a cousin.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 4:08:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Do you have catalpa in Missouri? Large growth rings. Fastest grower around here.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#19]
The bark looks like mimosa, but I've never seen the inside of one.  Looks like it would have some very nice figuring!
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:47:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By MongooseKY:
The bark looks like mimosa, but I've never seen the inside of one.  Looks like it would have some very nice figuring!
View Quote

I'm pretty sure it's mimosa at this point... the fluorescence test is pretty conclusive.

I coated the log ends with Anchorseal so they'll dry evenly, and will try slicing one up as soon as I can get back out in the shop.  It does look to be pretty wood... might have to see if @DKProf wants a chunk to make a pipe to donate to the Arfcom giveaway thingy or something.

Random pic of a mimosa wood bowl...

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Can I have a piece when you mill it?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:09:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Covertness:
Can I have a piece when you mill it?
View Quote

I reckon... how big a piece you want?  The logs are about 4-6".

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By TradWoodsman:
Ash?
View Quote

Bark is too smooth.   Looks similar to black walnut
Wood itself is too dark for ash - it would be a tan color at its darkest
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:56:52 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Up to you.  Small piece might make a nice pen or bottle stopper.   Looks like interesting grain pattern.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Up to you.  Small piece might make a nice pen or bottle stopper.   Looks like interesting grain pattern.
View All Quotes

No problem, I'll hook you up.  I'll get with you once I get them sliced up.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:32:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: midmo] [#26]
They clean up pretty nice!

The two boards in front and the block are the salvage mimosa.  The block's been rubbed down with mineral oil (note oopsie blorch) as a rough finish just to see what it looks like.

In back is a bonus pic of another "rescue", spalted maple from the same yard waste site.  

Just the block:

Pretty impressive for trash.

@Covertness if you'll IM me an address I'll stick a chunk in the mail for you this weekend.  The ring pattern may be a bit wide for just a normal with-the-grain turning, but I'll send a thick enough piece that you can slice it an an angle if you want to see what kind of pattern that ends up with.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 7:56:30 AM EDT
[#27]
@Covertness got too wrapped up in home weather chores on Saturday to make it to the P.O., but it's all boxed up and ready to go.  Ice storm here right now but supposed to switch to rain later; your pkg should go out either this afternoon or tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
Do you have catalpa in Missouri? Large growth rings. Fastest grower around here.
View Quote
That is not catalpa wood. I have cut plenty of catalpa trees down around my house. It grows like weeds in the small town I live in.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 6:57:43 AM EDT
[#29]
@Covertness got too wrapped up in home weather chores on Saturday to make it to the P.O., but it's all boxed up and ready to go.  Ice storm here right now but supposed to switch to rain later; your pkg should go out either this afternoon or tomorrow.
View Quote

No hurry.  Looking forward to it though.  Will be sure to post a pic of the finished product
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#31]
I'd take some rounds of that, looks nice
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By staringback05:
I'd take some rounds of that, looks nice
View Quote

You mean like "cookie" slices of the log?  Since it's completely green at this point, cookies are about 90% sure to split, and you end up with a pac man instead of a circle.

Slices would make kinda pretty coasters or something, if they don't split.  Some woods are better than others in that respect, but I'm completely unfamiliar with how mimosa acts.  It's all just an experiment at this point.

I could probably send you some cookies if you want play with 'em, but it will probably be a few days.  I need to rig up a jig to cut these with my bandsaw instead of miter saw... green wood is hell on the $$ miter saw blade.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:27:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Not the most challenging woodworking project but I whipped out a couple of quick wooden spatulas just to see what the stuff looked like.

Off to Etsy to make my fortune?    

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:30:12 PM EDT
[#34]
adding a post since I have a project in mind for some of this as soon as I can get to it, and don't want the thread to fall off into the archives just yet...
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:27:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Looks like Chinese elm to me
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Inquisitive_Spaniard:
Looks like Chinese elm to me
View Quote

Nope, pretty definitively mimosa... fluorescence is a dead giveaway.

I still haven't made anything from it, other than the spatulas posted above.  I'm going to try and turn some mushrooms... think the alternation in the grain might make some interesting patterns.  Spring got here and I got way too busy to fiddle with it for a while though.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#37]

Nope, pretty definitively mimosa... fluorescence is a dead giveaway.

I still haven't made anything from it, other than the spatulas posted above.  I'm going to try and turn some mushrooms... think the alternation in the grain might make some interesting patterns.  Spring got here and I got way too busy to fiddle with it for a while though.
View Quote

Ah I didn’t see the fluorescent part. I looked again and the bark is off for Chinese elms as well.

I should have come to this tech forum a long time ago. Slow but some cool stuff in here
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top