Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2024 3:02:38 PM EDT
So while I wait for the doctor insurance circle jerk to authorized my CT scan..
It looks like I have a hernia right where the legs and the torso join just about where my belt line is.
I am assuming lathroscopic(?_ surgery and mesh is the answer?
How long does the recovery take? How soon can I go back to the gym and lift weights?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#1]
High school pal got one repaired after crashing a three-wheeler.  14 years later, BAM....Crab-grass.

Be careful, OP
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:07:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1badf350] [#2]
I think I have a hernia in the exact same spot. Is yours about an inch or tow below your bellybutton?
When it acts up it feels like I’m being stabbed with a knife. For some reason when I piss while it’s acting up it hurts like a motherfucker
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:09:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I had one in that same spot around 10 years ago....didnt really hurt unless I ate a lot or it blew out.

When I finally got surgery I got some kickass pain meds though. Laid on the couch for a week and a half stoned watching fraiser
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 1badf350:
I think I have a hernia in the exact same spot. Is yours about an inch or tow below your bellybutton?
When it acts up it feels like I’m being stabbed with a knife. For some reason when I piss while it’s acting up it hurts like a motherfucker
View Quote

Mine is on the left side almost above the leg joint but it also makes my left nut hurt sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:11:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MFP_4073] [#5]
just depends

you might be a candidate for laparoscopic surgery.   you might require the traditional 'open' approach.

there are various types of hernias.   what did your examining MD say ?

as you know -- the surgeon would eventually examine you, verify your condition -- and recommend the best approach to repair it.

recovery can vary.   i had one done a long time ago.  was back to benching heavy about 8-10 weeks later.   'normal activity' much sooner than that.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:13:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MFP_4073:
just depends

you might be a candidate for laparoscopic surgery.   you might require the traditional 'open' approach.

there are various types of hernias.   what did your examining MD say ?

as you know -- the surgeon would eventually examine you, verify your condition -- and recommend the best approach to repair it.

recovery can vary.   i had one done a long time ago.  was back to benching heavy about 8-10 weeks later.   'normal activity' much sooner than that.
View Quote

Doc said it looks like a Hernia and you need a contrast CT scan.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:14:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Bogdan:
So while I wait for the doctor insurance circle jerk to authorized my CT scan..
It looks like I have a hernia right where the legs and the torso join just about where my belt line is.
I am assuming lathroscopic(?_ surgery and mesh is the answer?
How long does the recovery take? How soon can I go back to the gym and lift weights?
View Quote

I’ve had two repairs done, both with mesh.

2018 - open repair right side inguinal hernia - 8 weeks before my 10 lb weight limit was lifted.  Took another month to really stretch the scar tissues out at the gym and I started back slowly, not going anywhere near as heavy as I had before the surgery.  Pain was minimal; slept in my own bed that night.  Felt like I had done 1,000 crunches and the most serious ab workout of my life but it didn’t “hurt” per say, just felt like DOMS.  Off oxy by day two, Tylenol and ibuprofen only.

2021 - lapro repair left side inguinal hernia - hurt FAR worse than open for me.  The gas they pumped me up with gets in your shoulders and feels like knives when you lay down.  Even with oxy, it was a 9/10 pain level the first day.  I couldn’t lay down in my bed to sleep for nearly a week before the shoulder pain kicked in so bad I had to get up: my recliner was fine though.  I nearly ran out of oxy during that recovery… stark difference in pain than the open repair.  That being said, recovery was noticeably faster than open.  I was back in the gym 6 weeks later.

If I ever have to do it again, I’m going to demand open.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Ark1332:

2018 - open repair right side inguinal hernia - 8 weeks before my 10 lb weight limit was lifted.  Took another month to really stretch the scar tissues out at the gym and I started back slowly, not going anywhere near as heavy as I had before the surgery.  Pain was minimal; slept in my own bed that night.  Felt like I had done 1,000 crunches and the most serious ab workout of my life but it didn’t “hurt” per say, just felt like DOMS.  Off oxy by day two, Tylenol and ibuprofen only.

2021 - lapro repair left side inguinal hernia - hurt FAR worse than open for me.  The gas they pumped me up with gets in your shoulders and feels like knives when you lay down.  Even with oxy, it was a 9/10 pain level the first day.  I couldn’t lay down in my bed to sleep for nearly a week before the shoulder pain kicked in so bad I had to get up: my recliner was fine though.  I nearly ran out of oxy during that recovery… stark difference in pain than the open repair.  That being said, recovery was noticeably faster than open.  I was back in the gym 6 weeks later.

View Quote

Crap, this is not good. Most pain killers dont work on me. Oxy only makes me stupid and foggy, I still feel 100% of the pain.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:20:29 PM EDT
[#9]
The surgery isn't bad. Recovery can suck. Had both sides done at same time. They say you might have some swelling. One of my epididymis swelled up so bad I wanted to die. No joke you could feel it and it was as big around as my thumb.
Until the swelling went down I was in a constant state of the feeling of getting kicked in the nuts.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Bogdan:

Crap, this is not good. Most pain killers dont work on me. Oxy only makes me stupid and foggy, I still feel 100% of the pain.
View Quote

When I did open, my body didn’t agree with the anesthesia so I kept throwing up afterwards and couldn't keep pills down (or anything else).  I went nearly 12 hours without ANY pain meds and the pain was manageable.  Just felt like I annihilated my abs with the worlds most intense ab workout.

I’m sure they had local anesthesia too so that may have played a part in the pain level being manageable too that first day.

No way in hell I’d do lapro again without pain meds though.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By usp4u:
High school pal got one repaired after crashing a three-wheeler.  14 years later, BAM....Crab-grass.

Be careful, OP
View Quote

What does crab grass mean?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:24:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ark1332] [#12]
Originally Posted By BooJangles:
The surgery isn't bad. Recovery can suck. Had both sides done at same time. They say you might have some swelling. One of my epididymis swelled up so bad I wanted to die. No joke you could feel it and it was as big around as my thumb.
Until the swelling went down I was in a constant state of the feeling of getting kicked in the nuts.
View Quote

I forgot that part lol.  With open repair my ballsack was like logging a grapefruit around afterwards.  Turned all kinds of colors, similar to a bruise.  Dark purple was the most interesting.

Hardly any swelling when I had lapro done.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#13]
If it's a reducible inguinal hernia wear one of these during the day until you make a decision on surgery, it will keep it from getting worse. The heavy duty version is a little less comfortable but not bad and you'll probably be able to do most anything short of heavy lifting while wearing it. Maybe get one of each.
https://comfort-truss.com/

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:25:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HecklerKac] [#14]
Small non invasive surgery for the most part

Youll most likely get staples, pain meds, your skin will turn weird colors  all in all youll be back to your normal self within 3 weeks (as in you can lift over 50 pounds)
Depending on age and health of course

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I just tuck in my guts after a sneeze, cough or fart like it's the 1800's

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By feetpiece:

https://i.makeagif.com/media/9-22-2016/xOKxca.gif
View Quote

I remember having to go outside at work and lay on my back for 10 minutes until the bulge went back down....felt strangely good
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:31:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I had double hernia surgery 12 years ago.  Got the mesh.  I think it was 6 weeks before my weight restriction was lifted.  But for me, recovery was a cinch.  I think I took ibuprofen for a couple days and that was it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#18]

I had laparoscopic and mesh put in.  

I was pretty rough for a few days. I looked and felt like I had been shot three times in the gut.  It probably doesn’t help that I’m a little stubborn and won’t take any pain meds, including ibuprofen so I just toughed it out.

Two weeks out I was traveling for work, white collar stuff.

2 months out I was able to hike in my plates and do arm workouts and stuff.

Probably 4 months before I could run or do anything engaging core.

I had complications with my body rejecting the anchoring stitches. The doc opened me up at the same locations and removed the stitches and a piece of the mesh. Recovery from that was a lot faster. I won a NV 2-gun match less than two weeks after that operation.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:39:08 PM EDT
[#19]
had open repair left inguinal w mesh in 2010. recovery sucked and i was young. i’m the anomaly, however.

get it fixed, you’ll be happier and no risk of incarcerating.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Ark1332:

View Quote

Yeah whatever they inflated me with caused more issues that the pain from the repair it seemed like. I was still like an inflated balloon when I got home.

Mine was an umbilical hernia and I went to work the next day but I really should not have. They sent me home. Turned out I had an infection in there that ended up taking out my pancreas and good chunk of my liver, left kidney and just generally messed up all of my guts pretty good. Induced coma, death (briefly) months of rehab and about a year out of work. All good now though
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:58:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By BASE:

Yeah whatever they inflated me with caused more issues that the pain from the repair it seemed like. I was still like an inflated balloon when I got home.

Mine was an umbilical hernia and I went to work the next day but I really should not have. They sent me home. Turned out I had an infection in there that ended up taking out my pancreas and good chunk of my liver, left kidney and just generally messed up all of my guts pretty good. Induced coma, death (briefly) months of rehab and about a year out of work. All good now though
View Quote

damn sorry to hear. glad you’re still here.

they use co2 to insufflate for laparoscopic surgeries.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:00:32 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:05:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Have had two hernia's repaired. Would not allow them to put mesh in me. Did the traditional method, took a bit longer to recover but don't have to worry about complications from the mesh. The first couple of days sucked, but it wasn't terrible.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:07:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By swolliepop:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By swolliepop:

They might have run out of CO2. That would explain why the crew seemed so winded when I woke up.

Good news is the mesh is still holding up fine, and they never bothered to send a bill, lol.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:05:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Had 2 linguinal herinas fixed. No mesh, about a year apart. First one sucked big time didn't want to eat because afraid I would have to poop.  

Second one wasn't that bad. May be I was used to the pain. Back to work in a week, back to normal in 3 for both.

There really isn't any other option than getting it fixed.  Will only get worse. Suck it up I did.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:12:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By HecklerKac:

I remember having to go outside at work and lay on my back for 10 minutes until the bulge went back down....felt strangely good
View All Quotes

I haven't been that bad in about two years but it's a humbling experience to endure.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:47:20 AM EDT
[#28]

I haven't been that bad in about two years but it's a humbling experience to endure.
View All Quotes

Mine were both inguinal so I never physically saw the bulge with them being down in the pelvis by the groin, but with both (and especially the first one) if it got aggravated it was like someone was squeezing my balls and wouldn’t let go.  

The ONLY fix was to lay down anywhere from 1-5 hours to get the pain to stop.  Fun times…
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top