Russians Among Us- Gordon Corera
Agent Sonya-Macintyre
Betrayal Aldrich Ames-Weiner, Johnston, Lewis
The Spy and the Traitor-Macintyre
Spy Robert Hanssen-David Wise
A Spy Among Friends Kim Philby- Macintyre

Link Posted: 12/3/2023 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Blind Man's Bluff: The Untold Story of American Submarine Espionage. Excellent book! It's all the stuff Tom Clancy was forbidden to write.

Azorian
I haven't read this book but I've seen a couple of movies about it. The CIA hired Howard Hughes to build a huge ship to raise a sunken Russian sub. Considered the greatest espionage job of all time!
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 10:15:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 18B30] [#2]
The real-life Tom Clancy novel you never knew existed.

Before there was Seal Team 6 and Delta...there was Det-A.

18Z50

Link Posted: 12/4/2023 8:25:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spmx7777] [#4]
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 9:00:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 9:13:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 9:33:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 9:42:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Mitnick isn't in this one.  If I remember correctly it ends on a happy note.  Written in 1989 about events a couple years earlier. Cold War stuff but also has government incompetence (on both sides) just like we have today.  If you didn't live through the era you might need to look up what some of the machines are because most TV remotes have more computing power now.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 10:20:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys!  There's a lot of good stuff here.  I'm bookmarking this.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 11:00:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankSymptoms] [#10]
The KGB, the Computer and Me: Clifford Stoll's story

The KGB, the Computer, and Me.

eta
Clifford Stoll was the author of The Cuckoo's Egg. Great book! It should be recommended reading for anyone in IT, especially computer security. And it's very readable.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Surprise Kill Vanish-Jacobsen
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 5:31:50 PM EDT
[#12]
-You're stepping on my cloak and dagger
-Moscow rules
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 10:52:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Take all this CIA print material with a grain of salt. Those idiots didn't even know Soviet Russia conducted their first atomic bomb test, or that North Korea would invade South Korea, or that the "Agency" never penetrated Communist China nor Soviet Russia intelligence agencies, or that the Iraqi city of Nasiriyah would welcome Marines with open arms, or more recently that armed terrorist groups would attack an unofficial diplomatic compound. The list goes on and on for almost 80 years. I would take a break from these book money hungry spooks and check out Legacy of Ashes, Ghost Wars, and The Way of the Knife.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#14]
The Man Who Never Was
by Ewen Montagu

In the early hours of 30 April 1943, a corpse wearing the uniform of an officer in the Royal Marines was slipped into the waters off the south-west coast of Spain. With it was a briefcase, in which were papers detailing an imminent Allied invasion of Greece. As the British had anticipated, the supposedly neutral government of Fascist Spain turned the papers over to the Nazi High Command, who swallowed the story whole. It was perhaps the most decisive bluff of all time, for the Allies had no such plan: the purpose of 'Operation Mincemeat' was to blind the German High Command to their true objective   an attack on Southern Europe through Sicily. Though officially shrouded in secrecy, the operation soon became legendary (in part owing to Churchill's habit of telling the story at dinner). Ewen Montagu was the operation's mastermind, and in his celebrated post-war memoir, The Man who Never Was, he reveals the incredible true story behind 'Operation Mincemeat'.

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:17:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RightHandTwist:
The Man Who Never Was
by Ewen Montagu

In the early hours of 30 April 1943, a corpse wearing the uniform of an officer in the Royal Marines was slipped into the waters off the south-west coast of Spain. With it was a briefcase, in which were papers detailing an imminent Allied invasion of Greece. As the British had anticipated, the supposedly neutral government of Fascist Spain turned the papers over to the Nazi High Command, who swallowed the story whole. It was perhaps the most decisive bluff of all time, for the Allies had no such plan: the purpose of 'Operation Mincemeat' was to blind the German High Command to their true objective   an attack on Southern Europe through Sicily. Though officially shrouded in secrecy, the operation soon became legendary (in part owing to Churchill's habit of telling the story at dinner). Ewen Montagu was the operation's mastermind, and in his celebrated post-war memoir, The Man who Never Was, he reveals the incredible true story behind 'Operation Mincemeat'.

View Quote

Operation Mincemeat was so convincing that the Nazis moved a couple of divisions away from the actual landing site to cover Greece, undoubtably saving many thousands of Allied lives.
Ian Fleming, the author of the James Bond books, was involved in that operation.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top