Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2024 9:20:58 PM EDT
Just over and over and over again. Not a little bit of revs either sounds like at least 3000+ RPM. He's going on almost 10 minutes at this point. Wonder what his temps are?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:22:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#1]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:24:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a regen
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:24:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:28:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I was sleeping at a rest area one night when a truck pulled in next to me.  5 minutes after he got in he did a manual regen, ran that thing at high rpm for about a half hour.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:30:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Rolling coal practice.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:43:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
manual regen?

is it constant rpm or just over and over brapping
View Quote

He brings it up to speed anywhere from 4-10+ seconds. My only diesel is pre regeneration. Would driving it under load not accomplish the same thing? Going on 20 maybe 30 minutes now.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe looking for a fuel leak.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I’ve never had to do a manual regen on my 2015 Golf.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:46:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#9]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe he can't get it to idle.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:53:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
Maybe he can't get it to idle.
View Quote

If his door was closed I'd suspect suicide attempt. Hood up and door open means I'm minding my business
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#12]

im not familiar with the dodges manual regen strategy. but fords it brings it up to high rpm and commands the fan to full blast and it just sits there until the computer sees what it likes. it is very loud.

they normally regen while you are driving around. but you can command them to do a stationary regen with scantools and sometimes from the instrument cluster. some people who own diesels make lots of short trips and they never get into the regen regime.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

He brings it up to speed anywhere from 4-10+ seconds. My only diesel is pre regeneration. Would driving it under load not accomplish the same thing? Going on 20 maybe 30 minutes now.

im not familiar with the dodges manual regen strategy. but fords it brings it up to high rpm and commands the fan to full blast and it just sits there until the computer sees what it likes. it is very loud.

they normally regen while you are driving around. but you can command them to do a stationary regen with scantools and sometimes from the instrument cluster. some people who own diesels make lots of short trips and they never get into the regen regime.

I guess what I'm asking is wouldn't you be better off going out on the road and blowing it out? It's crazy loud. I'm watching tv in my living room with all doors and windows closed and it's just droning on and on. Another thing that makes this strange is that he's lived across the street for years but I've never heard this before so he was either doing it while I was working or it's a new issue.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:50:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Blowin' 'er out.

Cobwebs, mystery engine gremlins, water, whatever.

View Quote

Does he ride a Harley?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I'D RATHER BE CUMMINS, THANK STROKING!!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:55:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I would assume he is attempting to diagnose some problem . Go give him a hand .
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:57:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DDDDCheapAF:
View Quote

He’s trying to get his flat brimmed hat and white sunglasses lined up straight.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:00:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Broskis, It's an inline 6 powerhouse that sounds like heaven mixed with cocaine. I rev the fuck out of my Cummins too. too.  Inline 6's sound fuckin sweet.  

I'd rather be Cummins then Power Strokin it!

BRAPPP BRAPPP BRAPPP BRAPPPPPPP   pewwwww!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:02:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blademan] [#18]
Just over and over and over again. Not a little bit of revs either sounds like at least 3000+ RPM. He's going on almost 10 minutes at this point. Wonder what his temps are?
View Quote

Not sure about that high of RPM, but that sounds similar to how you break in a new camshaft after an engine rebuild.
1400HP CUMMINS CAM BREAK IN, HOT RETORQUE, FIRST TEST DRIVE
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:06:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:07:39 PM EDT
[#20]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV6H9uBprFk
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:10:13 PM EDT
[#21]
First Cummins to 5000+ RPM with EFILive
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:11:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Just typical Dodge/Cummins guy stuff. Probably the same type of guy that says he gets 30 mpg in his 8,000 pound pickup, has 600,000 miles original everything, his engine has never burnt a drop of oil ever, and knows what he has no lowballs.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:12:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By TheLookingGlass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv8AxOU7IRg
View Quote

"I like my Cummins 'cause it's got all that low end torque!" tunes it for 5k rpm to make it sound like a Honda
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:11:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Jellyfrosh:

"I like my Cummins 'cause it's got all that low end torque!" tunes it for 5k rpm to make it sound like a Honda
View Quote

I'm impressed it held together. Long stroke to spin that fast.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:27:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By DDDDCheapAF:
View Quote

Nah I'm good. He said he was a diesel tech back in the day. Think he mentioned UTI or another tech school. He's an interesting character but I am keeping it at friendly wave from the driveway level for now.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:30:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Jellyfrosh:
Just typical Dodge/Cummins guy stuff. Probably the same type of guy that says he gets 30 mpg in his 8,000 pound pickup, has 600,000 miles original everything, his engine has never burnt a drop of oil ever, and knows what he has no lowballs.
View Quote

And it sound like a bucket of 3/4" bolts rolling down a stairway at any RPM.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:15:14 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

My tweeker neighbors do this for hours a few times a week. They stand on the accelerator and the engine screams till it hits the rev limiter, rinse, repeat, times 1000. Most of the time their power is shut off so I don't know how they can afford the fuel but whatever.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:34:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I lost track of when he finally stopped but the total time was over an hour. I feel bad for the neighbor next door to him as it had to be deafening.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:44:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Harley Davidson makes a lot of Cummins engines and you can only diagnose those by revving constantly.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Probably purging the Propane systen.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#31]
They have to make sure they're still an asshole.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#32]

I guess what I'm asking is wouldn't you be better off going out on the road and blowing it out? It's crazy loud. I'm watching tv in my living room with all doors and windows closed and it's just droning on and on. Another thing that makes this strange is that he's lived across the street for years but I've never heard this before so he was either doing it while I was working or it's a new issue.
View Quote

Depending on the regen strategy he may have to drive it at a near constant speed for X amount of time (or miles), and unless he really enjoys taking the highway for a somewhat long joy ride it's likely more convenient to let it regen in the driveway while he does something else.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#33]
cooling system burp?

confused harley owner wondering why the entire neighborhood doesn't hear whitesnake blaring from his speakers while he revs his engine?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:14:50 PM EDT
[#34]
my 2014 cummins was loud

my 2022 is not unless its cold and high idle kicks up, then its screaming.  

both straight piped.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:15:04 PM EDT
[#35]
It’s a Honda Civic guy that has money and an actual vehicle.  Just annoying the neighbors, that’s the purpose.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By midcap:
I'D RATHER BE CUMMINS, THANK STROKING!!!
View Quote

Okay. Thank you, stroking.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:29:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Laughs in gen 2, 24 valve, CTD.

DEF, regen, and all the stupid late model diesel shit is almost comical with all the hoops you have to jump through.

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:28:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:57:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Ayada:

Depending on the regen strategy he may have to drive it at a near constant speed for X amount of time (or miles), and unless he really enjoys taking the highway for a somewhat long joy ride it's likely more convenient to let it regen in the driveway while he does something else.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ayada:

Well he was sitting in it that's why I assumed diagnostic.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:01:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By AgeOne:
cooling system burp?

confused harley owner wondering why the entire neighborhood doesn't hear whitesnake blaring from his speakers while he revs his engine?
View Quote

I actually wondered if it was cooling system stuff as I know that can be a bitch but in the short time I worked in and around shops I never saw anything like this in duration and intensity.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:11:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:11:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#42]
View Quote
I have a tractor that requires that stupid regen shit.    No, operating it at full throttle all the time may postpone when it needs to regen, but once the light comes on, the only way is to park it and let it run at full throttle until the light goes out.    Operating (doing stuff) at full throttle doesn't seem to satisfy it.   Goddamn government.   Fucking regen has to waste more fuel and produce more pollutants than just not having it at all would do.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Jodan1776:
I have a tractor that requires that stupid regen shit.    No, operating it at full throttle all the time may postpone when it needs to regen, but once the light comes on, the only way is to park it and let it run at full throttle until the light goes out.    Operating (doing stuff) at full throttle doesn't seem to satisfy it.   Goddamn government.   Fucking regen has to waste more fuel and produce more pollutants than just not having it at all would do.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jodan1776:

Yeah it seems pretty shitty. How long does it take on your tractor?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#44]
New Camshaft maybe?
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Haven't seen him in a while and the truck is still parked. If I see him in the yard I might ask.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top