Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2024 11:02:17 AM EDT
Sitting here and can't fly due to freezing rain, so have some time to kill, and stumbled into a youtube video from the Fro guy......he seemed to really like the R8.

Anybody have one?    Currently using a D780 and D3s, and am pretty "old school" on technology, but all the tracking stuff taking place on the R8 seems pretty cool.  

Can almost feel myself leaning towards picking one up to try the Canon camera, but then I'd have to find a 70-200 that fit it, so it could get pricey in a hurry.  

Mainly just volunteer and shoot high school sports for fun.

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:47:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Any of the current mirror less offerings from Canon, Sony, and Nikon are pretty amazing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheAmaazingCarl:
Any of the current mirror less offerings from Canon, Sony, and Nikon are pretty amazing.
View Quote

Refurb R8's directly from Canon are $1350.......what Nikon model is comparable to the R8, any idea?

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 6:39:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheAmaazingCarl] [#3]
Originally Posted By vmax84:

Refurb R8's directly from Canon are $1350.......what Nikon model is comparable to the R8, any idea?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheAmaazingCarl:

I would guess the Z6ii seems most similiar, cost is a good bit more though.  If you get the R8 I recommend using the mechanical shutter for sports or you'll get rolling shutter.   The Z50 doesn't seem as capable as the R8, but probably cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 6:41:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKoch31] [#4]
I love my R8. I got it new as a body only on Amazon for $1200 back in December. I need a telephoto, but I’m currently using the RF50 f/1.8 and the RF35 f/1.8 IS. I mostly do auto photography and portraits.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:45:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Which lenses can I use with the R8?    Pretty much all the newer Canon and Tamron/Sigma newer lenses designed for Canon?    

Can you recommend a fairly inexpensive lens to get started with it, that could be used for basketball?

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:21:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Which lenses can I use with the R8?    Pretty much all the newer Canon and Tamron/Sigma newer lenses designed for Canon?    

Can you recommend a fairly inexpensive lens to get started with it, that could be used for basketball?

View Quote

I'm a Canon guy. Have the R6 mkII which is the slightly older and better big brother to the R8.

You can use any of the newer Canon RF lenses. They have a 70-200mm f4 which I have amd is a good lens. Not quite as fast as the f2.8, but it's also $1200 cheaper. But still is about $1400, a bit less if you can get the refurb version on the Canon website.

You can get an EF to RF adapter and ise any older EF mount lens. They work just as well as theu dis on Canon's DSLR cameras. There are no third party auto focus capable RF lenses yet. There might be later this year. There are some good third party manual focus lenses.

My Canon lens kit right now is the RF24-105 f4, RF 24-70 f2.8, RF 70-200 f4, and the 16, 35, and 50mm primes. And a couple manual lenses, a Sirui 50mm anamorphic, and a Helios 44M-2 with an adapter.

The Canon mirrorless cameras are about the best mirrorless offerings on the market. But it's a pretty expensive buy in.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:31:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Grendel-OK:

I'm a Canon guy. Have the R6 mkII which is the slightly older and better big brother to the R8.

You can use any of the newer Canon RF lenses. They have a 70-200mm f4 which I have amd is a good lens. Not quite as fast as the f2.8, but it's also $1200 cheaper. But still is about $1400, a bit less if you can get the refurb version on the Canon website.

You can get an EF to RF adapter and ise any older EF mount lens. They work just as well as theu dis on Canon's DSLR cameras. There are no third party auto focus capable RF lenses yet. There might be later this year. There are some good third party manual focus lenses.

My Canon lens kit right now is the RF24-105 f4, RF 24-70 f2.8, RF 70-200 f4, and the 16, 35, and 50mm primes. And a couple manual lenses, a Sirui 50mm anamorphic, and a Helios 44M-2 with an adapter.

The Canon mirrorless cameras are about the best mirrorless offerings on the market. But it's a pretty expensive buy in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thx for taking the time to lay that out for me.    :)
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:52:55 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Same camera, it is awesome.  I have mostly EF lenses with the adapter, but a few RF lenses.

The camera is simply amazing,  and the ability to use the less expensive, but highly capable EF lenses is great.  Have boought used lenses from MPB and KEH, with a slight lead to MPB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top