Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2024 8:36:58 AM EDT
So I have a 2000 Cheverolet Silverado Z71. It has the 5.7 liter engine. It has roughly 160,000 miles on it. Around the time covid happened, I quit driving it for the most part. In the last four years, it has been driven 3 or 4 times for a total of about 15 miles.  I know one of the worst things for a vehicle is to just sit and not be driven. I want to get it road worthy again. Aside from a new battery and an oil change, is there anything I need to do before I start driving it??again??
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:39:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Pump out the tank. Add fresh gasoline. Pull and check the plugs. Gap them, if need be. If vehicle has trouble starting the most likely culprit is a bad fuel pump since most of them are located in the fuel tank and tend to corrode badly. Another culprit would be wiring. Rats tend to chew up wiring on vehicles that sit
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Crank it up and go WOT to blow all the mice out of the exhaust.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:44:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Three years isn't that long, so it will probably start right up.  I'd put some fresh gas in it to mix with the old stuff, start it, let in run for a few minutes, then change the oil.  Maybe change the fuel filter after a couple of tanks.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:50:03 AM EDT
[#4]
If it starts just drive it, dump some new gas in with the old.  Change the oil once it's warmed up.

Around here the biggest risk to a sitting vehicle is the brake rotors rusting to shit and needing to be turned.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:59:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Turn it over and see what happens, 3 years isn't really a super long time....once its running change the oil, and the fuel filter, dilute out the gas with fresh stuff ASAP.... perhaps plugs but it's probably fine if it was a running vehicle before.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:07:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd change the oil, put a little fresh fuel in it and see what happens.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Brake rotors will most likely be rusted and pulsate. Driving it may or may not smooth them out. Just make sure you have a firm brake pedal and it’s not falling to the floor before you take it on the road. Put some new gas in it and a bottle of dry gas.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#9]
3 years is not that long.... I would charge / replace the battery. Start and drive to the gas station. Fill the tank. Then drive to the quick lube place and have them change the oil. By then, the basic stuff will be taken care of and you should have a better idea if anything else needs to be done.

Accountant
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Check the oil, start it up, drive it and fill it with gas when it gets to empty.  You'll figure out and suspension and brake issues quickly.  Give the interior a good cleaning and give it a good bath.  Those things are tanks.  I have a 97 I use as a farm/plow truck.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:20:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Just drive it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:24:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tangotag] [#12]
Check battery, oil change, fresh gas, new sparkalators, flush and bleed the brakes. Also check the coolant.
Do burn outs until the tires blow. New tires.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:38:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Along with the other stuff mentioned, check all rubber components like ball joint boots, bump stops and sway bar end links. Many times these new synthetic materials break down just sitting. Replace as neccessary.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Start it up?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:57:44 AM EDT
[#15]
LS swap it first.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:05:33 AM EDT
[#16]
If you want to go "by the book"
Check tires. Look for big cracks. Small surface cracks are ok in the short term. The tires will also likely be flat-spotted and take a few miles to return to the proper shape.
Check for nests and other rodents and insects. My f-i-l's old Explorer had a lovely bee's nest on the inside of the door jamb, right by the door handle.
Put the windows down and turn the AC on high to blow out the dust/nest/smells in the HVAC ductwork.
Fuel's probably just fine, it's been in a dark "room" for years. If it's an ethanol blend, well, all bets are off. I have yard equipment that can't handle a year with ethanol blend gas.
Check battery. Maybe throw it on a charger.
Brakes likely have a coating of surface rust. Light brake pressure to clean it off when you first drive it. If a caliper or drum is stuck, the usual remedy should work (induce hydraulic trauma).

Or...
See if it starts up. If it does, do a slow mosey around the driveway, get all the oils & lube circulating. Then take it for a spin.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I would be a little leery of the condition on the tires. Flat spots, and dry rot.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:17:50 AM EDT
[#18]
+1 on double checking the tires. Look for dry rot, and check the DOT date code. If they're over 8 years old, or if any of the tires are flat, plan to replace them immediately.

If the engine doesn't crank easily with a fresh battery, try turning the crankshaft by hand to see how it feels. It shouldn't be locked up, but things happen.

Once running, check brake pedal pressure before driving off.

Keep it under 25 MPH for a bit, and ride the brakes much longer than usual approaching stop signs, and pay attention. Listen for noises, feel for uneven braking, etc. This era of GM product is known for brake line corrosion causing failures, so that's something to watch for.

If everything is good, cruise around a little bit to get everything up to operating temp. Maybe hit the car wash.

After this, start working through fluids.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:22:07 AM EDT
[#19]
A mouse probably chewed through a wire somewhere or a mud dauber filled some important hole with dirt.

Approach it with wasp spray in hand.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Agreed, 3yr isnt bad.  Anything that touches fuel may be gunked up if the gas has gone bad.  I'd drain the fuel and start with fresh gas.
I had a carb'd car sit for 15 years.  I replaced the full fuel system and battery and it fired right up and drives fine.  No issues with rusted brakes.

EFI fuel systems are more sensitive to bad gas than carbs.  Electric pump, finer filters, and injectors and whatnot.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:23:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LurkerII] [#21]
Change out the spark-a-lators and clean out the fuel-makin'-happener?

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#22]
If it is an automatic, you will be refilling the trans with fresh fluid. As a matter of fact, you should probably change the pan gasket since it will be dry rotted.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:37:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Check the breather before you try to turn it over.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Meathook:
Just drive it.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:02:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4BlackRifle] [#25]
Just drive it.  Guys make entire Youtube channels firing up old junk.

I bought a 20 year old Jeep Cherokee that sat under a tree with no gas cap for almost three years.  I put in a fresh battery, started it up, and drove it to the gas station for some fresh gas.   After installing some fresh fluids and tires I drove it for almost 125,000 miles.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:46:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:
LS swap it first.  
View Quote

I like the way you think.  5.3 with a turbo.  
Top Top