Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/8/2024 10:01:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy]
A few days ago I had a thread about my heart scan results and how they are not good and I need to make some changes.  So I bought a cheap used mountain bike off facebook.  Figured I better make sure I am going to stick with it before I sink real money into a serious road bike or whatever.  

I rode a whopping 2.8 miles today and my legs were fuckin jello when I got back home.  Hills SUCK!  Bike seats SUCK!  This is a lot like actual work!

While I was lumbering along on my shitty mountain bike a group...gaggle...school?  Of serious cyclists came at me from the other direction.  I decided to just get out of their way on the shoulder and let them zoom by.  That they did.  It was like a silent car race, just the road noise of their tires, the clacking of 30 bike chains changing sprockets and they were fuckin MOVING.   They made a wind as they passed me standing there.

I know arfcom hates em and they have gotten in my way too but....the reality is they are in better shape than me a long shot and I would wager most of the people here too.  I dunno if I will ever be that good but moden tech and hard work is amazing.  It was like a bunch of bike missiles.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:02:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Good ass pad shorts are a game changer.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Give it a month or two to work through the pain and you will likely love it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:05:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Spend a little time/money on optimizing your setup (including the saddle) and your body will thank you.

Easiest way to try out different saddles / geometry is to go down to a local bike shop and ride some different bikes.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:07:56 PM EDT
[#4]
You might be underestimating the difference between an old mountain bike and a carbon road bike
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:08:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rose] [#5]
Groups can really move fast.  The aerodynamics really change.  It was eye opening the first time I rode in a group of faster-types after mostly training alone.

edited for clarity
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:08:30 PM EDT
[#6]
To be fair you could probably go a lot farther and have a much easier time if you had a set of slick street tires on that mountain bike. Knobby mountain bike tires have LOADS of drag compared to street tires.  The difference is unbelievable, and even more so if you are fat.

I have an old 1960's  J C Higgins one speed that came with mountain bike knobbies on it. I could hardly petal 2 miles and I was basically exhausted. I swapped to some street slicks and can now go 10 miles before breaking a sweat. I use the bike just to do laps around the neighborhood for casual exercise.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:08:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Ehhh, OP, did you check with your cardiologist before starting your new exercise routine?

Serious question dudeski!!!
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I did a 63 mike trail ride on monday,  watch says i burnt 3600 calories.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:10:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Everyone starts out the same way with a cheap bike . After riding a couple Huffy bikes trying to keep with some seasoned riders I bought a lighter gravel bike . What a game change having a lighter bike with better derailleurs , brakes and seat  .
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:12:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DirkericPitt:
I did a 63 mike trail ride on monday,  watch says i burnt 3600 calories.
View Quote

I'd prolly burnt my remaining lifespan if I tried riding 63 miles tommorrow.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:12:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By buckstrucks:
Good ass pad shorts are a game changer.
View Quote
The seats are also not build for a fat (aka normal) butt. They actually work better if you're pretty thin. Big cushy seats are ok for beach cruising but just make it worse for any real miles at speed.
Hill always suck, it's just that you learn to embrace it, but there's no better feeling than cresting that hill.
Good call on the used cheaper bike. As long as it's working properly, that'll last you quite a while. Swap out tires for more street biased stuff if you want to, that'll help a bunch too. If you're doing it for exercise, not trying to compete or keep pace with anyone, don't sweat the more upright body position. If anything it helps you. More drag with less stress on your upper body and back. I could rarely wear out my legs on flat terrain before my back decided it had enough when I rode a standard road bike. My next one will be more of a hybrid setup. More comfy, but still light and street oriented.

I recently did a youtube short giving bicycle riders a hard time about not following traffic laws while they complain about sharing the road, it was hysterical how many folks commenting didn't consider that I might also ride. My serious miles days are behind me, knee and ankle injuries make it unrealistic, but I do miss it and plan to get back into some local riding. I could do 90% of my errands on a bicycle without over stressing my old injuries, it's pretty flat around town and I'm not trying to set speed records.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:13:53 PM EDT
[#12]
You'll get used to it soon.  You're starting off like I did.  Eventually I got a nice road bike and started doing week long tours like Ride the Rockies, and as I got better I started doing centuries and 200k and 300k brevets.  I also found bicycle clothing that everyone rags on is actually very purposeful and useful.  I had a lot of fun while I was doing it.  If you really get into try and find a local bicycle club.  They usually do organized rides a couple times a week.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:13:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#13]
Originally Posted By zach_:
Ehhh, OP, did you check with your cardiologist before starting your new exercise routine?

View Quote
No.  My follow up appointment isn't until next week.

I don't think I am in any serious danger, I am 45 years old, 5'11 and 135lbs.  It's just shitty genetics and bad luck I think that my calcium score is stupid high, for my age.  That second part is the key.  My score falls in "moderate", not "severe" but due to my relatively young age, it puts me at a higher score than 95% of white males my age.  So I seriously need to do something now, for the future.

I don't think I am in an danger of having a grabber, but I am trying to keep it that way.  I will though be sure to follow doctors orders next week.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Burnsy:
A few days ago I had a thread about my heart scan results and how they are not good and I need to make some changes.  So I bought a cheap used mountain bike off facebook.  Figured I better make sure I am going to stick with it before I sink real money into a serious road bike or whatever.  

I rode a whopping 2.8 miles today and my legs were fuckin jello when I got back home.  Hills SUCK!  Bike seats SUCK!  This is a lot like actual work!

While I was lumbering along on my shitty mountain bike a group...gaggle...school?  Of serious cyclists came at me from the other direction.  I decided to just get out of their way on the shoulder and let them zoom by.  That they did.  It was like a silent car race, just the road noise of their tires, the clacking of 30 bike chains changing sprockets and they were fuckin MOVING.   They made a wind as they passed me standing there.

I know arfcom hates em and they have gotten in my way too but....the reality is they are in better shape than me a long shot and I would wager most of the people here too.  I dunno if I will ever be that good but moden tech and hard work is amazing.  It was like a bunch of bike missiles.
View Quote

I don't hate cyclists.

I hate people who think that the rules don't apply to them.

Just happens to be, lots of cyclists(roadies specifically but commuter and casual bike riders do it too) fall into that descriptor
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#15]
The seat takes some getting use to, just make sure your have it is adjusted correctly.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:17:15 PM EDT
[#16]
No.  My follow up appoint isn't until next week.

I don't think I am in any serious danger, I am 45 year 5'11 and 135lbs.  It's just shitty genetics and bad luck I think that my calcium score is stupid high, for my age.  That second part is the key.  My score falls in "moderate", not "severe" but due to my relatively young age, it puts me at a higher score than 95% of white males my age.  So I seriously need to do something now, for the future.

I don't think I am in an danger of having a grabber, but I am trying to keep it that way.  I will though be sure to follow doctors orders next week.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

No.  My follow up appoint isn't until next week.

I don't think I am in any serious danger, I am 45 year 5'11 and 135lbs.  It's just shitty genetics and bad luck I think that my calcium score is stupid high, for my age.  That second part is the key.  My score falls in "moderate", not "severe" but due to my relatively young age, it puts me at a higher score than 95% of white males my age.  So I seriously need to do something now, for the future.

I had a heart attack at 49. Two months prior I had a stress test with no issues.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Riding hills is cardio AND building up some large muscle groups!!!

congrats!!!!!!!!!!!

I like trail riding, bikes rock.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:18:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#18]

I had a heart attack at 49. Two months prior I had a stress test with no issues.
View Quote
Well fuck. I am glad you survived.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:20:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#19]
The seat like...really sucks.  Felt like my ass bones were on granite.  I have rode other bikes before and they were not this bad, I think mine is extra horrible.  Are the gel seats a good idea?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:21:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#20]
Also, any recommendations for a bluetooth headset for music?  I like the around the neck style and I would want it for normal phone calls when not on the bike if anyone has any experience with those.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#21]
It's about getting used to it.  

Doing anything that you haven't been doing  is going to suck.  Some guys can drink a 30 pack and drive home without a problem.  Try not drinking for 10 years and attempting to drink 10 beers.  Drinking is fun...but if you're not used to it, it will fuck you up.  

If you're honestly in it ONLY to lose weight or increase your physical abilities, don't bother spending a shit ton of money on a road bike...you'll go further, but you will expend less energy doing it.  Now, if you WANT to go further for your caloric expenditure, then of course, get a bike that is more efficient.  

Your ass will get used to the bike seat.  Massive wide seats aren't the answer, getting used to it is the answer.  After a week, you won't even feel it.  Unless, of course, you go for an extra long ride...which, again, you have to get used to it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:22:46 PM EDT
[#22]
The seat like...really sucks.  Felt like my ass bones were on granite.  I have rode other bikes before and they were not this bad, I think mine is extra horrible.  Are the gel seats a good idea?
View Quote

Gel seats can help a little.

The seat may just be positioned wrong and putting pressure in the wrong places, which is causing you pain.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:23:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I’m 67, you get 8-10 of us in a pace line and we’re 25-28mph. Not all the time but on good days. It’s a trip😁
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:23:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rose] [#24]
[snip]group...gaggle...school?[snip]
View Quote

peloton!

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167610518303751
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Also, any recommendations for a bluetooth headset for music?  I like the around the neck style and I would want it for normal phone calls when not on the bike if anyone has any experience with those.  Thanks!
View Quote

The bone conductor ones seem to be good . I’m pretty deaf so I don’t use them
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:29:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: perfectsilence] [#26]
View Quote

I would guess more of the pain is coming from seat width (going wider isn’t necessarily the answer), seat height, bike geometry (too big/too small) or some combination of the three.

Also, being 135 at 5’11” doesn’t exactly offer a lot of built-in ass bone cushion Play around with the seat height as well as your position on the seat when you ride (ie how far fore/aft your butt is on the seat) and see if that will help. You’ll probably need to reevaluate in a few days as opposed to tomorrow, because everything is going to hurt tomorrow regardless. But stick with it! I haven’t been able to ride in a while but am very much looking forward to getting back at it soon. It’s a great way to help your body, and it feels good on the brain too.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:34:16 PM EDT
[#27]
There's a wide variety of seats for good reason. What feels good to one person will be torture for someone else. A good bike shop usually has trial seats they'll let you try for a week to see if you like it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:38:41 PM EDT
[#28]
What part hurts from the seat?
I actually really liked a pretty firm seat (took about 50 miles to break in my butt and the seat) that had a relief groove and cut out in the middle. Basically it made sure the pressure was either on your cheeks if you fully sat back on it, or on your "sit bones" which are on either side of your pelvis. Way more comfy for me than a softer but more normal looking seat. They're pretty common on road bikes. It had a thin layer of gel to help distribute the weight but the actual contact area wasn't big when you were riding.

Seats are adjustable front to back and for tilt normally. So play around a bit to see if you can get it to be more comfy. But just keep in mind that no matter what your butt needs to get used to it. Then it has to adjust to any changes you make. Nothing about this will be comfy immediately. Or at least if it is, it probably won't be ten miles later.

Ditto grips, particularly if what you have is worn out. A nice set of comfy ones help a lot. I used to replace my mountain bike grips almost every season to keep them fresh, depending on how many hours I had on them and how that particular set held up. On the road bike I'd re-wrap more often than I probably needed too, but it seemed to reduce the road vibration that made it through to my hands and wrists.

You can also get spacers or move spacers if it has them, to raise or lower the bars a little without buying new ones. Depending on the bike you can probably replace the bar stem as well to adjust it's position. That lets you move it a bit front to back as well as up or down.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:43:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bourbonator] [#29]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:

I think it's important to find the kind of cycling that's right for you. I used to mountain bike, but find that I enjoy my time grinding on a road bike much more these days. I guess it helps that our local city hosts several triathlons every summer and we have hundreds of miles of paved bike trail so I don't have to piss off drivers too much, or succumb to their inattention.

ETA:
Originally Posted By Happy_Hour_Hero:
You might be underestimating the difference between an old mountain bike and a carbon road bike

Definitely, to an extent. I enjoy dropping people in full kit on my dad's 40 year old 14 speed mountain bike, while wearing flip flops.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:43:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I stopped reading at Facebook
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#31]
If you are on a mountain bike and they are on road bikes, that is like apples to oranges.  I am much slower on a mountain bike  than I am on my cyclocross, road or tri bikes.

You don't have to spend a lot on a bike.  I snagged a GT cyclocross bike on craigslist for $225 a few years back. It has 33 c road tires with road profile on the center and slight texture on corners. I can take that anywhere and keep up with roadies.  I like that bike for bombing around and doing rides with my wife.  I ride that more than my road, triathlon, and dedicated cross bike.

If you are looking at bikes, feel free to post here and someone will chime in. You can get a good used bike on facebook marketplace for less than $1000. Less if you go older bike, steel frame, older components.

Get clipless pedals, a good saddle, bike shorts, repair kit, water bottle holders and a helmet. And you are off!

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:50:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#32]
Originally Posted By Caddys83:
I stopped reading at Facebook
View Quote
It actually resulted in a pretty good find I think.  Not so much the bike, although it's fine, I ended up buying it from a guy who own(ed) a local bike shop I didn't even know was there.  Basically since COVID he closed up shop and went online only, but he still owns the store and uses it as a warehouse/repair shop.  He adverts on facebook market place and you go to the store turned warehouse to see bikes by appointment only.

He was a really nice guy, understood I what I was looking for and had just the thing.  An cheap used bike but one he had gone through quickly and adjusted things, made sure everything works correct...and it does.  He was even nice enough to tell me he would fix anything minor that went wrong for me on the house and if it was still in good shape when/if I was ready to upgrade, he would buy it back.  I am sure at a profit so he can just sell it again but, super nice local guy and I am glad I found him.  Facebook sucks, but relationships with good people don't.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:51:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Low resting heart rate will serve you well.  Cycling is easier on joints too
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:54:49 PM EDT
[#34]
A cheap shitty bike makes everything worse.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:56:49 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

I think it was Greg Lemonde who said it never gets any easier, you just get faster. So have fun!
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:58:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:59:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Good bike seats are helpful. I used to think padding would help, but when I graduated to my current seat with a hole in the center and no padding I discovered the padding actually just pushes back. No padding and less seat is the way to go. You just have to train till you build up your butt callouses, haha.

As for bluetooth headset...consider bone conduction headset. You can still hear what's going on around you and maintain your awareness of impending doom before it's upon you, lol.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:59:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Bourbonator:
ETA:

Definitely, to an extent. I enjoy dropping people in full kit on my dad's 40 year old 14 speed mountain bike, while wearing flip flops.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bourbonator:
ETA:
Originally Posted By Happy_Hour_Hero:

I got smoked once in a mountain bike race by some dude twice my age riding a Next wearing sweat pants and a pair of sneakers. The little rear view mirror clipped to his helmet really put the humiliation factor over the top. He fucking crushed me it was awful.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:00:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Last year I rode my outdoor bikes so little that this year I started a weekly one hour exercise bike session in front of the TV. Only go about 15 miles worth, but I've not missed a week. It's a recumbent so I can add a couple of cushion to the seat.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:01:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By LoBrau:

I think it was Greg Lemonde who said it never gets any easier, you just get faster. So have fun!
View Quote

great quote
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:02:22 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes

Lol, it will be even worse tomorrow
That will stop happening after a few rides. Id say just tough it out for the 1st week or 2.
Dont get some big pad girly seat. The specialized power saddles are popular, the clones can be pretty decent too.
I dont ride over winter and usually only suffer for the 1st week. After that, no prob riding a century. No fancy kit, just rando basketball shorts.

Careful with this one- There are other idiots out there that you need to be looking/listening out for.
If you do get something, make sure you can still hear wtf is going on around you, and def dont be the guy rocking out the trail
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:04:34 PM EDT
[#42]
the reality is they are in better shape than me
View Quote

now you know why arfcom hates cyclists
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:12:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Op, this is my bike. Never thought I would pay this much for a bike. Specialized Roubaix pro. But it sure is fun to ride.
Roubaix
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:15:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Remyrw:
The seats are also not build for a fat (aka normal) butt. They actually work better if you're pretty thin. Big cushy seats are ok for beach cruising but just make it worse for any real miles at speed.
Hill always suck, it's just that you learn to embrace it, but there's no better feeling than cresting that hill.
Good call on the used cheaper bike. As long as it's working properly, that'll last you quite a while. Swap out tires for more street biased stuff if you want to, that'll help a bunch too. If you're doing it for exercise, not trying to compete or keep pace with anyone, don't sweat the more upright body position. If anything it helps you. More drag with less stress on your upper body and back. I could rarely wear out my legs on flat terrain before my back decided it had enough when I rode a standard road bike. My next one will be more of a hybrid setup. More comfy, but still light and street oriented.

I recently did a youtube short giving bicycle riders a hard time about not following traffic laws while they complain about sharing the road, it was hysterical how many folks commenting didn't consider that I might also ride. My serious miles days are behind me, knee and ankle injuries make it unrealistic, but I do miss it and plan to get back into some local riding. I could do 90% of my errands on a bicycle without over stressing my old injuries, it's pretty flat around town and I'm not trying to set speed records.
View Quote

We call them saddles.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:21:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By 3-gun:
Op, this is my bike. Never thought I would pay this much for a bike. Specialized Roubaix pro. But it sure is fun to ride.
Roubaix
View Quote
Got daym!  That's a lot money for a bike.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:25:12 PM EDT
[#46]
I've been thinking of doing the same thing, OP, having a go at it. If I hadn't had a stupid accident, I'd have probably already gotten one. But since I don't know how much I'll have to shell out when my truck is fixed (currently at the shop), I don't want to spend any money until after. And of course my insurance will go up (if they don't cancel it outright), so then I'll have to deal with that.

But good for you on getting out there and getting it done.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:34:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Join a group of social cyclists. The regiment of going once or twice a week will help

I’m in a group of old school bmx cruisers and we ride in central Austin twice a week. 25 to 30 miles each day.

I do this on a single speed bmx 26” bike with just regular shorts and skateboard shoes.

Of course we have a stop where some adult beverages are had.

I have ridden as many as 50 miles on the same combination of bike and shoes etc.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:41:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Good job OP.  Physical conditioning of any sort just takes time and consistency.  There will be pain and discomfort at the beginning but just keep working through it.  Cycling is an excellent low impact cardio exercise.  It becomes very enjoyable.  

- A smaller seat is actually easier to use.  Having a huge mass between your legs forces your hips into an unnatural position and causes problems.
- The ass pain you are experiencing is normal for a beginner but usually subsides after a couple weeks as your sit bones become accustomed to riding.
- Cycling shorts will help immensely.  Cyclists don’t wear them to emulate pro cyclists.  They wear them because it provides a nice bit of cushioning, compression to your thighs and glutes, and eliminating loose clothing increases comfort and decreases chafing.  
- Wear your cycling shorts as is - no underwear, just the shorts.  Underwear will cause chafing and sore spots.
- Smooth tires will help, but so will a better bike.  As you become stronger and adapt, you will eventually see the need and won’t have problems dropping money on a more capable bike.  Use what you have for now though.

Keep up the good work, be safe.  Cycling is an excellent exercise and a fun way to see what’s around you.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:44:21 PM EDT
[#49]
A bicycle is a pain machine. You'll either quit or learn to love it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:02:25 AM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

It takes a few rides for the tissues over your sit bones to build up a bit.  Every season when I start riding my butt hurts for a week or so.  You can try a saddle with a little more padding but don't get a giant, wide, pillowy one or anything.  This one is reasonably priced to try.  Keep it up!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top