Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 4/3/2024 7:06:24 PM EDT
Then there will be a lot of shock in the cave diving community. Plura cave diving fatality.

I just found out who the victim was about an hour and a half ago and now it’s out in the public view. I’m not naming names but if you cave dive then you know the family.

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Cave diving is not inherently dangerous, it is however, absolutely unforgiving of any error.

18Z50…..rather do one man CQB against a horde of coked up Chechen terrorists than cave dive.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 18B30:
Cave diving is not inherently dangerous, it is however, absolutely unforgiving of any error.

18Z50…..rather do one man CQB against a horde of coked up Chechen terrorists than cave dive.
View Quote

Disagree. It is inherently dangerous and we take steps to mitigate the danger. Unfortunately, some very experienced divers succumb to the dangers, even when being responsible.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:20:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I never gave it much thought, but I learned from MrBallen to never, ever go cave diving.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:46:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NarcedDiver] [#4]
I just got done seeing the pictures on his Facebook page from Easter. I’ve lost a lot of friends over the last two years to diving accidents. With him being so young, it hurts more.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:52:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By NarcedDiver:
I just got done seeing the pictures on his Facebook page from Easter. I’ve lost a lot of friends over the last two years to diving accidents. With him being so young, it hurts more.
View Quote

I’ve met both him and his father several times whilst cave diving. I found out from a buddy of mine last night and he was sad over it as that was who his rebreather instructor was.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:56:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Condolences to family and friends.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:35:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NarcedDiver] [#7]
Well it's officially out there. Dive Rite did a press release and Taylor just posted this on her FB page. I have know them both since I started diving. Hell my first rebreather I bought was one of Lamars old optimas. Rest easy Jared.

Today I wake up to the stark realization that yesterday’s nightmare is my new reality. Today will mark the first day in nearly 14 years that I will not talk to my beloved Jared Hires in some form. Today, the rest of my life looks completely different than I ever imagined.
I can barely breathe as I try to put it down in words that MY husband passed away. While on a cave dive in Norway, doing what he loved, he was gone just like that. Jared was my very best friend, my everything. He was my biggest fan, my support, my constant. He provided me with two beautiful children whom he loved fiercely. He worked so hard to make sure we were happy and taken care of. We had so many dreams and plans of things we would conquer as a family. I am completely devastated knowing that he will miss out on all that is to come, but I pray I can show my kids even a glimpse of those plans and remind them everyday how much their sweet Daddy loved them.
I still don’t know quite what to do, what to say, or how to feel but I want to extend thanks and gratitude to so many friends and family who have already shown us so much love in this trying time. Please be understanding as we continue to process and find our way through this. And please remember the good times, I know Jared would want it that way
View Quote

https://indepthmag.com/dive-rite-celebrates-40-years-of-innovation/
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:59:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#8]
Originally Posted By jerrwhy01:

I’ve met both him and his father several times whilst cave diving. I found out from a buddy of mine last night and he was sad over it as that was who his rebreather instructor was.
View Quote

I met him when I was down in FL cave diving Christmas 2021. Really nice guy. I heard nothing but good things about him. Really sad b
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

I lost a friend who was solo diving at Cow January last year. The report was issued a few months ago. Very sad.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:24:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Marie:

I lost a friend who was solo diving at Cow January last year. The report was issued a few months ago. Very sad.
View Quote

I read that one.

Last I lost one of my buddies, Joe Citelli, last year too. It hasn't been a good couple years. We have lost some pretty high profile folks.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 3:13:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Was he diving alone? Anyone know if it was a medical emergency at depth?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By talontsi_95:
Was he diving alone? Anyone know if it was a medical emergency at depth?
View Quote

Diving with a team. One of the articles I saw on SB said he was 100ft from the entrance and had a seizure underwater. Not sure how deep.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Diving with a team. One of the articles I saw on SB said he was 100ft from the entrance and had a seizure underwater. Not sure how deep.
View Quote

I wonder what his mixture/PPO2 level was. Not saying it was OxTox it could have just as easily been a medical issue.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#14]

I wonder what his mixture/PPO2 level was. Not saying it was OxTox it could have just as easily been a medical issue.
View Quote

I wondered the same thing and eventually we’ll know more (I think). I hate that these tragedies happen, but I do want to learn from them to get better and to be reminded of how serious I need to take my diving. Took my daughter into her first wreck dive last week and was very attentive to how she did even with relatively easy passageways.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:37:14 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

He was not 100ft from the entrance. 820ft.

Here’s an article with an info from a member of the team.

https://www.deeperblue.com/tech-diver-jared-hires-dies-in-diving-accident/

I’m seeing numerous mentions of a medical incident.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:22:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NarcedDiver] [#16]

He was not 100ft from the entrance. 820ft.

Here’s an article with an info from a member of the team.

https://www.deeperblue.com/tech-diver-jared-hires-dies-in-diving-accident/

I’m seeing numerous mentions of a medical incident.
View Quote

I am 100% speaking out of my ass here, but every single high profile death is always stated as a medical incident. It's been this way since I have been diving. If you are a big name, you always get a "clean" death.

EDIT: I stand by what I said, but that doesn't have anything to do with Jared at this point. I don't know how him being out of the country will affect things overall. I know body transport is fairly straight forward, but if/when an autopsy will be performed; where and who performs it. I am not familiar with that side of things. His equipment will shine the light on any common dive related issues. Jared was young and had lost a lot of weight over the last couple years. He was in great physical shape, but underlying medical issues are just that, underlying. With all the heart issues seemingly popping up from the shot, who the hell knows.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#17]

I am 100% speaking out of my ass here, but every single high profile death is always stated as a medical incident. It's been this way since I have been diving. If you are a big name, you always get a "clean" death.

EDIT: I stand by what I said, but that doesn't have anything to do with Jared at this point. I don't know how him being out of the country will affect things overall. I know body transport is fairly straight forward, but if/when an autopsy will be performed; where and who performs it. I am not familiar with that side of things. His equipment will shine the light on any common dive related issues. Jared was young and had lost a lot of weight over the last couple years. He was in great physical shape, but underlying medical issues are just that, underlying. With all the heart issues seemingly popping up from the shot, who the hell knows.
View Quote

Sheck Exley was a big death and I don’t ever recall anyone saying his was medical.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:54:19 AM EDT
[#18]

Sheck Exley was a big death and I don’t ever recall anyone saying his was medical.
View Quote

There are always exceptions... Sheck died 1000' deep in a hole in the ground. His dive and recovery were extremely well documented.

Dave Shaw is another one. That video still haunts me.

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Wow thats an interesting story. I just read a long blog on it.

I have never heard of HPNS before. What was the max depth Hires would have achieved if he made it to this “chamber”?
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 11:04:32 AM EDT
[#20]

I have never heard of HPNS before. What was the max depth Hires would have achieved if he made it to this “chamber”?
View Quote

Plura has a max depth over 400'. It's pretty damn deep.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By CoyoteGray:
I never gave it much thought, but I learned from MrBallen to never, ever go cave diving.
View Quote

People think I'm crazy for squirming through small passages in caves.

Nope...I'm not crazy. Cave divers are crazy.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By VACaver:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By VACaver:
Originally Posted By CoyoteGray:

I don’t like squeezy shit. Plenty of caves with huge rooms. Those are the ones I like. I don’t like small ones. A little bit is OK that still gives me room to move.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#23]

There are always exceptions... Sheck died 1000' deep in a hole in the ground. His dive and recovery were extremely well documented.

Dave Shaw is another one. That video still haunts me.

View Quote

I shouldnt have watched that video. I watched a YouTube documentary on it and they pretty much showed till the end. Absolutely terrifying.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

HPNS really starts at around the 500ft mark and deeper. It depends mainly on the amount of helium the diver has in their mix and their rate of descent. It’s not much of an issue in the recreational/tech world as few go that deep.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#25]

HPNS really starts at around the 500ft mark and deeper. It depends mainly on the amount of helium the diver has in their mix and their rate of descent. It’s not much of an issue in the recreational/tech world as few go that deep.
View Quote

Yeah Im a rec diver so it makes sense that Im not familiar with it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#26]
DAN has released a prelim accident report. This was medical. Seizure. Jared apparently had one last year out of the blue and there is apparently a rare family history of them.

https://dan.org/safety-prevention/diver-safety/divers-blog/preliminary-accident-analysis/
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Underwater vaxxident?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Supperman:
Underwater vaxxident?
View Quote

Don’t be a retard. Did you read the link? There’s a family history of seizures.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 4:21:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#29]
ETA - already posted.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#30]
DAN has released a prelim accident report. This was medical. Seizure. Jared apparently had one last year out of the blue and there is apparently a rare family history of them.

https://dan.org/safety-prevention/diver-safety/divers-blog/preliminary-accident-analysis/
View Quote

That’s a lot to unpack and not everything that is going thru my head right now is pleasant.

I haven’t been cave diving or diving in general for a few years because I was having some medical issues that was affecting my ability to dive. In the interest of protecting my dive buddies I got out of the water to figure out the issue and try to resolve it.

That’s all I have to say on the matter.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 5:36:30 PM EDT
[#31]

That’s a lot to unpack and not everything that is going thru my head right now is pleasant.

I haven’t been cave diving or diving in general for a few years because I was having some medical issues that was affecting my ability to dive. In the interest of protecting my dive buddies I got out of the water to figure out the issue and try to resolve it.

View Quote

I’ll agree with the direction your post implied.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

If we take the divers identify out of the equation, answering truthfully on the medical questionnaire with any major training agency would have disqualified him for diving.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 12:44:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#33]

If we take the divers identify out of the equation, answering truthfully on the medical questionnaire with any major training agency would have disqualified him for diving.
View Quote

Exactly and he was an instructor, as well.

And you can be sure that your comment will not be tolerated to be mentioned online. There are some twats going on in comments on the Dive Talk FB group, telling people no speculation, etc, even after this report has come out. Idiots.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:52:54 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

If it was just him that was affected I wouldn’t be upset. He’s an adult and free to roll the dice however, when you’re part of a dive team then it becomes a different issue as they’re now affected by this decision as well. Rescues are extremely difficult in open water, they’re a lot harder in a cave system.

I don’t know if he was under medical treatment for this or was he simply keeping quiet about it and hoping for it not to hit him when diving. That’s a matter for the family.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:33:32 AM EDT
[#35]
The previous history of seizures doesn't check out as the cause of this.

Jared closed his loop and was trying to get to his bail out.

That means he saw it coming.

According to stated med history,  he'd had ONE previous seizure.  One previous seizure does not give someone the experience to feel it coming, especially while mainintaining the cognitive ability to assess the problem, consider that he needs to go to OC and try to do so.  That means a tiny bit slower onset causing him to suspect bad gas, or he saw something on his rig and was trying to prepare for it.

I've witnessed far too many seizures in far too many people to believe this narrative.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top