Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2024 4:41:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buffetdestroyer]
I was a reluctant reader when younger because most fiction books didn't have themes or writing styles that could keep my attention.  So I would read comic books, humor, non-fiction science books, or gun & war related non-fiction.

I decided I should write a book my 5th grade self would love, called Grosser than Gross Adventures at Monster Mayhem Middle School Volume 1.  It will be the first in a series as I am about 1/3 done with the second volume.

It is age-appropriate gross-out humor throughout, while the monster 7th grade class members go on adventures and learn how to work together and use their powers and abilities, all while staying hidden from the human world.

If you have a young one in your life who loves gross stuff (or its you), this may be a book they enjoy:

Attachment Attached File

It is available on Kindle Unlimited for free, Kindle for $2.99 and Paperback for $7.99 on Amazon.  I am working on getting copies to local elementary and middle school libraries and wanted to spread the word!  My goal was to write a book that reluctant readers may finally enjoy and call their own!

Synopsis: Prepare yourselves for the grossest, most vile, horrible, and disgusting adventure imaginable!

The monster 7th Grade class at Monster Mayhem Middle School have to work together and learn to use their powers and abilities to capture a rogue alien creature, have a booger competition, harvest zit juice from teenagers, eat the most disgusting things imaginable (from roaches to roadkill), create a new mutant hybrid species, cast poop spells, perform limb-saving surgery, fight cyborgs, and ultimately team up with swamp animals to save their friend from an evil scientist, all while staying hidden and secret from the humans in their town.

WARNING: This book will most likely gross out your Mom, Teacher, Sister, Brother, and Best Friend when you read all the gross parts out loud to them! Please try not to gag or throw up when reading!

Appropriate for Middle Grade Readers and beyond: Aged 8-Infinity (Immature Sense of Humor Needed)

If interested in it, search "grosser than gross" on Amazon and it will pop up and you can read a few pages and see if its a fit.  I would appreciate any support, feedback, or reviews you guys are willing to provide!
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I will check that out for my kids.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tsonda4570:
I will check that out for my kids.
View Quote

I am offering to send the first 5 interested arfcommers a free copy if you, your kids, or your grand-kids might enjoy this.

FREE BOOKS FOR AR15.COM!

Please post a reply asking for one and IM me your address if you need one!

Hoping this book can inspire some new readers!
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:00:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USA1st] [#3]
Originally Posted By buffetdestroyer:

I am offering to send the first 5 interested arfcommers a free copy if you, your kids, or your grand-kids might enjoy this.

FREE BOOKS FOR AR15.COM!

Please post a reply asking for one and IM me your address if you need one!

Hoping this book can inspire some new readers!
View Quote

I would like one. My 8 years daughter would like it.i will buy one on Amazon to support you.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Dan Busch:
Looks good.

Tim "Griz" Martin:
It's improving.

Dan Busch:
But if I may make a suggestion... more of an observation.

Tim "Griz" Martin:
Go ahead.

Dan Busch:
It's a children's book. They aren't supposed to scare the living sh*t out of the children.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#5]
My boys would dig this.  I'd love a copy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#6]
My 4 boys would love it, my 10 year old being a reluctant reader.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By smokycity:
Dan Busch:
Looks good.

Tim "Griz" Martin:
It's improving.

Dan Busch:
But if I may make a suggestion... more of an observation.

Tim "Griz" Martin:
Go ahead.

Dan Busch:
It's a children's book. They aren't supposed to scare the living sh*t out of the children.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I cannot buy books fast enough for my 11 year old son, so I’ll pick him up a copy of this
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll take one for my 3 kids!
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#10]
My 8 year old would love this, I'll grab a physical copy off Amazon.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:37:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buffetdestroyer] [#11]
Thank you all for your support!  

I have shipped 2 of the 5 out to arfcom kids! 3 still up for grabs!

I can't do autographed copies right now because my USPS shipping costs more than the book direct from Amazon.  If your kid(s) loves it, I can send a sample of Volume 2 and a letter to your kid personalized and signed.

Please IM me with your address if you need one and you posted here!

Lastly, if your kids enjoy this book, there are no reviews currently on Amazon, and reviews really help the placement on searches!

I really appreciate all of you!

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#12]
3 Free books for arfcommers are still available!  

If we go over, I can still accommodate a few of you guys if you would like a hardcopy.

For the free Kindle Unlimited, I am getting good ranking in the book's categories:

#8 in Children's Humorous Action & Adventure
   #16 in Children's Humor Books
   #35 in Children's Paranormal, Occult & Supernatural Books
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank you all for your support!  

I have shipped 2 of the 5 out to arfcom kids! 3 still up for grabs!

I can't do autographed copies right now because my USPS shipping costs more than the book direct from Amazon.  If your kid(s) loves it, I can send a sample of Volume 2 and a letter to your kid personalized and signed.

Please IM me with your address if you need one and you posted here!

Lastly, if your kids enjoy this book, there are no reviews currently on Amazon, and reviews really help the placement on searches!

I really appreciate all of you!

View Quote
My copy should be here Monday, I would be very interested in something like this if my son likes it.

I'll be sure to leave the review once it shows up!
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice!  Congrats on your first book!
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#15]
2 free books left!
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:11:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the support from everyone here!

I have two books left to give away unless that was everyone who was interested.

Also, any reviews are appreciated on Amazon!
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I would like one! Have a couple of boys who love being gross!
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Would it be okay for a 4-year old?  My daughter is into monsters and bugs right now.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd like to see proof of your book receiving the Grossest Most Vile Horrible & Disgusting Book award. I'm going to need to see certificates and/or a plaque from an authorized committee.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#20]
In the words of my 11 year old son “20% funny and 80% gross.   Hes very good at describing the gross parts and cyborgs are cool”

He really enjoyed it!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Neomonk21:
Would it be okay for a 4-year old?  My daughter is into monsters and bugs right now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Neomonk21:

It will probably be a little too much for a 4 year old - It's more middle grade appropriate from a vocabulary, content and theme standpoint.

Originally Posted By CenterMass762:
I'd like to see proof of your book receiving the Grossest Most Vile Horrible & Disgusting Book award. I'm going to need to see certificates and/or a plaque from an authorized committee.

I had to thumb wrestle a squirrel as the final stage of the contest. It was pretty brutal, and I still have a scar.

Originally Posted By Ciraxis:
In the words of my 11 year old son “20% funny and 80% gross.   Hes very good at describing the gross parts and cyborgs are cool”

He really enjoyed it!

You have a son with impeccable taste and astute observation skills!  It is definitely more gross than funny, but the funny is sprinkled like dandruff flakes on top of the bugs, poop, and boogers.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#22]
@buffetdestroyer

I assume this is self-published through amazon? Do you have anywhere where there is a walkthrough of the process or could you do a writeup? Wife has a book she's been working on that we're looking to go that route.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:50:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#23]
I would like to get one for my niece, she will like it
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:29:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buffetdestroyer] [#24]
Originally Posted By Agilt:
@buffetdestroyer

I assume this is self-published through amazon? Do you have anywhere where there is a walkthrough of the process or could you do a writeup? Wife has a book she's been working on that we're looking to go that route.
View Quote

Yes, it is self-published.

There are tons of great Youtube videos if you look up "Kindle on Demand" that walk you through the process.  Formatting for Kindle was a process.  MS Word can size your page to what you want for a print book, but Kindle follows its own rules based on the screen size being read.  I had to change the paragraph setting (which double spaces automatically between paragraphs) for Kindle and manually enter a hard "return" between each paragraph in my book.  There is a bunch of data on Kindle on Demand's page about formatting, but physical print is a different format than the device readers.  Follow the directions on the site.

Before getting too far, I would start with learning about ISBN's.  If you pay for your own, you retain full ownership ($125 for one plus $25 for a barcode or $325 for 10 and there are some combo deals).  If you use Amazon's free one, they are the publisher and own the publishing rights.  You will need an ISBN for each type published - paperback, hardback, kindle.  Go to "Bowker" as they are the only way for you to keep your publishing rights in the US. Others are cheaper, but they become the publisher.  In the unlikely chance someone wants to run with my book as a publisher (I submitted it to 6 literary agents and they are overwhelmingly looking for woke stuff, if anything at all), I have the legal autonomy to allow that with my own ISBN (I bought the 10 pack with 5 barcodes for $395 since I plan this as a series).  

Research the keywords and categories where and how you want people to find your book.  Also, make sure your synopsis is loaded with those keywords.  If it is a popular category, it will be hard to get placement without a strong marketing campaign that will likely be tens of thousands of dollars.  Specific subcategories will be much easier i.e. Mystery vs. Women Sleuths, so a little research goes a long way.

I have a $12/day budget on Amazon's ads, but have only spent $.18 for 1 click and 150 impressions in the last 3 weeks because my keywords are specific to "gross" stuff.  I will adjust this to some more broad categories once I have a few more reviews.

Authors with multiple books get top placement in the ads I see, so it is a brand with multiple titles at the top of every search and individual book titles are lower in the search.  The first book is going to be the hardest to get rolling.

A book with a vague title will do better if there is a sub-title explaining what it is with keywords - The Book - An Epic Dragon Fantasy Adventure from the Wizard Mystery Chronicles.

I only have one rating so far, but ratings/reviews help push your book in Amazon's algorithm in addition to your sales numbers.  It's like herding cats to get friends and family to review it on Amazon, so be sure to follow up.

I'm no expert and am still learning, but getting the positive feedback from some of the people here and a few others who read and enjoyed my book is why I wrote it.  I wrote a book that I would have been excited to read in middle school when most fiction books bored me.  I was a reluctant reader and having reluctant readers tell me this is the first book they read straight through in a long time is the best compliment I can get.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Agilt:
View Quote

A friend has published a few books via lulu.com and it's worked well for him - it's an easy low-volume DIY option.  
You get an ISBN, the book is available via lulu.com and you can also make it available on amazon or anywhere else that sells books (ie. bookstores).
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Ordered hardcopy - youngest daughter is in middle school and just started the last harry potter book.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Yes, it is self-published.

There are tons of great Youtube videos if you look up "Kindle on Demand" that walk you through the process.  Formatting for Kindle was a process.  MS Word can size your page to what you want for a print book, but Kindle follows its own rules based on the screen size being read.  I had to change the paragraph setting (which double spaces automatically between paragraphs) for Kindle and manually enter a hard "return" between each paragraph in my book.  There is a bunch of data on Kindle on Demand's page about formatting, but physical print is a different format than the device readers.  Follow the directions on the site.

Before getting too far, I would start with learning about ISBN's.  If you pay for your own, you retain full ownership ($125 for one plus $25 for a barcode or $325 for 10 and there are some combo deals).  If you use Amazon's free one, they are the publisher and own the publishing rights.  You will need an ISBN for each type published - paperback, hardback, kindle.  Go to "Bowker" as they are the only way for you to keep your publishing rights in the US. Others are cheaper, but they become the publisher.  In the unlikely chance someone wants to run with my book as a publisher (I submitted it to 6 literary agents and they are overwhelmingly looking for woke stuff, if anything at all), I have the legal autonomy to allow that with my own ISBN (I bought the 10 pack with 5 barcodes for $395 since I plan this as a series).  

Research the keywords and categories where and how you want people to find your book.  Also, make sure your synopsis is loaded with those keywords.  If it is a popular category, it will be hard to get placement without a strong marketing campaign that will likely be tens of thousands of dollars.  Specific subcategories will be much easier i.e. Mystery vs. Women Sleuths, so a little research goes a long way.

I have a $12/day budget on Amazon's ads, but have only spent $.18 for 1 click and 150 impressions in the last 3 weeks because my keywords are specific to "gross" stuff.  I will adjust this to some more broad categories once I have a few more reviews.

Authors with multiple books get top placement in the ads I see, so it is a brand with multiple titles at the top of every search and individual book titles are lower in the search.  The first book is going to be the hardest to get rolling.

A book with a vague title will do better if there is a sub-title explaining what it is with keywords - The Book - An Epic Dragon Fantasy Adventure from the Wizard Mystery Chronicles.

I only have one rating so far, but ratings/reviews help push your book in Amazon's algorithm in addition to your sales numbers.  It's like herding cats to get friends and family to review it on Amazon, so be sure to follow up.

I'm no expert and am still learning, but getting the positive feedback from some of the people here and a few others who read and enjoyed my book is why I wrote it.  I wrote a book that I would have been excited to read in middle school when most fiction books bored me.  I was a reluctant reader and having reluctant readers tell me this is the first book they read straight through in a long time is the best compliment I can get.

View Quote

Originally Posted By Morgan321:

A friend has published a few books via lulu.com and it's worked well for him - it's an easy low-volume DIY option.  
You get an ISBN, the book is available via lulu.com and you can also make it available on amazon or anywhere else that sells books (ie. bookstores).
View Quote

Awesome, thanks both of yall
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#28]
If copies are still available, I'd love one to try. I have a 12 y/o that loves to read and a 10y/o that I struggle to get to read anything but "graphic novels".

If there aren't any copies left I'll buy one though.
Top Top