Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2024 5:51:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hunter8282]
For 2024 what's coming out in the hybrids that will have the closest performance to a road/gravel bike?

Looking for more top end gears and speed than my current Specialized Rockhopper offers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a Rockhopper and rode that thing from my house to the trail with no problem. Have you tried swapping out to a pair of hybrid tires?
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 11:06:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 11:37:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FaygoJoe] [#3]
Originally Posted By Hunter8282:
For 2024 what's coming out in the hybrids that will have the closest performance to a road/gravel bike?

Looking for more top end gears and speed than my current Specialized Rockhopper offers.
View Quote

I know a lot of bikes have been going to a 1x setup for the last several years and road bikes have been slower to adapt to them.  But for more top end gears I'd recommend something with a 2x drivetrain first of all.  Sometimes I wonder if 1x setups are just a cost savings measure by the manufacturer but they still get to charge the regular price on bikes with fewer components.  

I ride mostly road and had a 3x hybrid (Trek FX) for 15 years but almost never used the the lowest ring.  I got a 2x Canyon gravel bike with drop bars in 2019 and wished I had switched sooner.  I got a new Trek a few months ago and test rode several 1x models and none of them had a top end I liked.  I ended up buying another bike with a 2x and have been satisfied.

Why hybrid if looking for road/gravel performance?  Do you just want flat bars and/or a more upright riding position?

I recommend a drop bar gravel bike with a 2x.  2x drivetrains provide tighter gear ratios than 1x drivetrains.  This is preferable for road cycling because the change in gradients is more gradual than in an off-road setting, which typically varies between extremes in terms of terrain.  With the wider frame and fork clearance you can run different width tires for different scenarios if needed.  My preferred tire is 35mm with a little bit of tread on the shoulders and a slick center; quick on asphalt, but with some traction on dirt roads, rail trails, and basic off-roading.  

If you already like Specialized, the Sirrus line that someone linked to are good bikes if you need the flat bars.  I'd just choose one with a 2x.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 10:22:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I would second looking at a gravel bike.  I have a trek checkpoint.  I picked up a second set of wheels for.  One set with more 38mm roadish tires and a set with 45mm trail tires both set up tubeless. I use my hybrid way less and only get out the Mtn bike for real bad blue or black trails now.  A gravel bike with the right set of tires for whatever you do will do everything from paved paths to green and low to mid blue single track stuff.

I really only use my hybrid for my commute  now as its short and the bike costs way less to beat around up and down curbs and around down town.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:53:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I picked up a used Poseidon X drop bar gravel bike for $600, very fast and light bike (coming from a Mtn bike), new they're less then $1000. With a few tweaks, very comfortable as well.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:16:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I researched this for a while and it came to 2 bikes,giant fast road and trek fx3. I ended up with a trek because I couldn’t find a giant locally.
I’m pretty happy with it.
It’s fast,light & comfortable riding position. I changed the saddle to a gel,added fenders,shimano clips & lights.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:28:48 PM EDT
[#7]
The cheap approach is hybrid/road tires and a bigger chainring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top