BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
How does squatting work? (Page 1 of 3)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/25/2024 3:25:25 PM EDT
I am a little confused.

Does that mean if someone breaks into a home while the homeowner is out, now the homeowner must prove the squatter is not a tenant in court before kicking him out?

Doesn’t this make breaking and entering a moo point? Like a cow’s opinion. It doesn’t matter, and it’s moo.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:29:13 PM EDT
[#1]
People find a vacant house and break in. When owner finally shows up to check on house they have "moved in" and have a fake lease. Owner calls police and when the police get there they see fake lease and then say, "It's a civil matter" and they don't get involved.

Eviction process is started and takes however long it takes while squatters do whatever with the house.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#2]
It only works if the squatter isn't immediately shot upon discovery.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DarkLordVader:
View Quote
"They broke in and they were reaching for one of the guns I own."
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:33:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quite liberally I'm afraid.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By DarkLordVader:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:34:49 PM EDT
[#6]
You are using earths gravity to build muscle
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:35:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Seems like a nice mix of B&E, camping, and committing fraud against utilities/services.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:39:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dorobuta] [#8]
Show up, tent the fucker up, and pump it full of pesticide gas.

Just kidding, though it would be nice if you could....
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#9]
most places you would need a bill in your name at that address or other proof that you "live" there.

there needs to be some serious reforms in that department in many places though.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By klinc:
People find a vacant house and break in. When owner finally shows up to check on house they have "moved in" and have a fake lease. Owner calls police and when the police get there they see fake lease and then say, "It's a civil matter" and they don't get involved.

Eviction process is started and takes however long it takes while squatters do whatever with the house.
View Quote

The really funny one is when the sheriff shows up with the eviction order for ms Jones and her 3 kids. But the person who opens the door is Ms Smith with a new lease.

In some states the owner has to give the "tenant" a chance to get current on the lease, even if there is a fake lease in the wrong name. The ones I have read about that really know how to play the system can stay there a year or longer, even 18-24 months depending on the court back log.

AKA go to court to file the eviction, judge sets a court date 90 days away due to back log. The "tenant" files for an extension due to not being able to go to court that day, another 90 days pass. The "tenant" shows up to court and files an escrow for problems that the landlord wont fix. Obviously its BS, but it can put the eviction case on hold because now it can make it look like the landlord is just doing this out of spite. Boom another 90 days gone, because the law says cant evict when there is rent escrow for refusal to fix something, its needs to be found to be BS in court. Once the rent escrow is found to BS the eviction case moves forward, tenant shows up with receipts of paid rent. Of course they where not paid to the landlord, they were paid to the friend that wrote the BS lease. Now the landlord needs to gaither the docs to show the "rent" was not paid to them, but of course they did not have their bank records with them that day.

Yes I watch too much youtube.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#11]
The squatters have to be there for a certain number of days ~ 30 .  It’s not like you go to the store and return and they can claim squatters’ rights .
If you have an empty property you should install some sort of security / monitoring system to alert you to activity .
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Need some Bronx friends.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:47:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Obo2:
most places you would need a bill in your name at that address or other proof that you "live" there.

there needs to be some serious reforms in that department in many places though.
View Quote

Yeah thats easy, they change their cell phone bill address on line and print out the bill. And suddenly they bill with that address, they will also sometimes call the electric company and set up the service in their name. Power companies dont notify the old "tenant" when the billing info changes, now they have a power bill in their name. Once they get a bill they will call the power company and say they are moving out put it back in the owners name.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:49:14 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Also note it's easy to get an image of the homeowner's real signature on the web, in order to make the fake lease have a authentic looking signature on it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Keep in mind, it would take the state legislator 10 minutes to draft a law, making it a very serious felony to perpetrate this type of fraud. But that’s not going to happen. Instead, Democrats are literally teaching people to do this. The left does not believe, people should own more than one house, or that there is ever any justification for owning a house that you do not live in full-time. This is social justice for them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By StaccatoC2:

The really funny one is when the sheriff shows up with the eviction order for ms Jones and her 3 kids. But the person who opens the door is Ms Smith with a new lease.

In some states the owner has to give the "tenant" a chance to get current on the lease, even if there is a fake lease in the wrong name. The ones I have read about that really know how to play the system can stay there a year or longer, even 18-24 months depending on the court back log.

AKA go to court to file the eviction, judge sets a court date 90 days away due to back log. The "tenant" files for an extension due to not being able to go to court that day, another 90 days pass. The "tenant" shows up to court and files an escrow for problems that the landlord wont fix. Obviously its BS, but it can put the eviction case on hold because now it can make it look like the landlord is just doing this out of spite. Boom another 90 days gone, because the law says cant evict when there is rent escrow for refusal to fix something, its needs to be found to be BS in court. Once the rent escrow is found to BS the eviction case moves forward, tenant shows up with receipts of paid rent. Of course they where not paid to the landlord, they were paid to the friend that wrote the BS lease. Now the landlord needs to gaither the docs to show the "rent" was not paid to them, but of course they did not have their bank records with them that day.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StaccatoC2:

I see lots of people blaming the police for "allowing" this.

Imagine the shrieking if an arfcommer posted a story about how the cops showed up at the house he was renting because his landlord lied and told the police he never actually rented it. The arfcommer shows the police his signed lease and the police say, "landlord says that's fake - you're going to jail for forgery/squatting/burglary/etc."

Issues like this show, once again, that our system will only work for a moral people. Once you get a healthy population of immoral people, freedom becomes a liability and ultimately a road to destruction and bondage.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By lil_Sig:
Quite liberally I'm afraid.
View Quote

What you did there...
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:01:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duke117] [#18]
It works because MOST people are not sufficiently committed to the eviction of the squatters and unwilling to burn their own house down to facilitate the removal…
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:03:20 PM EDT
[#19]
If you're a law-abiding citizen with a home, assets, a career, a family, a clean record, etc. and you want to avoid the risk of losing any of this you're fucked if it's your property.

That's how it works.

Everyone talks tough what they'd do if it happens to them, but they actually wouldn't and won't.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Gunner226:
Issues like this show, once again, that our system will only work for a moral people. Once you get a healthy population of immoral people, freedom becomes a liability and ultimately a road to destruction and bondage.

View Quote

We're transitioning from a high trust society to a low trust society. Some places won't allow the laws to adjust.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:13:15 PM EDT
[#21]
How to Low Bar Squat With Mark Rippetoe | The Art of Manliness
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Draft law that has both the renter and all rentees all with real ID driver’s license show up at town hall for the initial rent signing.  

Wait… that wouldn’t work.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Squatting basically uses a lot BS and the slowness of the court system to their advantage.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:32:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alien] [#24]
There's also squatting/adverse possession with relation to property lines etc. Say your neighbor builds a fence along your/their property, but doesn't build the fence exactly on their side of the property line as defined in the legal description of the deed of each property.

They are now "squatting," on your property, and your property could eventually be considered to be part of their property if enough time elapses. A professional land surveyor should ALWAYS be hired and used when determining where property lines are any time they are in question. The squatter always throws a fucking fit when they get caught in this situation, whether it was malicious or not.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By TheStupid:
I am a little confused.

Does that mean if someone breaks into a home while the homeowner is out, now the homeowner must prove the squatter is not a tenant in court before kicking him out?

Doesn’t this make breaking and entering a moo point? Like a cow’s opinion. It doesn’t matter, and it’s moo.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Duke117:
It works because MOST people are not sufficiently committed to the eviction of the squatters and unwilling to burn their own house down to facilitate the removal
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/562102/IMG_0867_jpeg-3169171.JPG
View Quote
Damn squatter burned down my friggin' house yer honor!
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:45:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Skydivesnake] [#27]
Would be good to know if any folks have had this issue and what their solution actually was.

Doesn't the homeowner sign a new tenant agreement with their buddy, that supersedes the one the squatters have, and use that to have the new renter take possession... then change the locks etc, and the cops will back up the holder of the newer agreement (ie the buddy) ? Something like that ?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:12:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Skydivesnake:
Would be good to know if any folks have had this issue and what their solution actually was.

Doesn't the homeowner sign a new tenant agreement with their buddy, that supersedes the one the squatters have, and use that to have the new renter take possession... then change the locks etc, and the cops will back up the holder of the newer agreement (ie the buddy) ? Something like that ?
View Quote

Not really, the cops just wont get involved, as they cant say who has a valid lease thats for the courts to decide.

But if their buddy is willing to live there with the squatter they can. I helped a friend do that with his town house. He wrote me a lease and I just kept showing up and going inside and hanging out. After a few days of this the squatter left, granted they where just on the expire lease and trying to milk it as long as they could. I guess the tv at full volume and the party I had at 2am was enough to make it worth leaving.

Yes I had cameras, yes the squatter called the cops, yes the cops said there was nothing they could do and left.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I did a bit of reading on some real world cases.

Basically, there are people that keep an eye out for (1) obituaries, or (2) home sales and foreclosures. They then scope the house out, and if the property appears to be vacated for a while (which happens fairly often in both scenarios), they jump on it.

Sometimes, there's a 'broker' who does the initial squatting. he/she will then "sublet" the house out to various transients/addicts/hobos/whatever.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Gunner226:

I see lots of people blaming the police for "allowing" this.

Imagine the shrieking if an arfcommer posted a story about how the cops showed up at the house he was renting because his landlord lied and told the police he never actually rented it. The arfcommer shows the police his signed lease and the police say, "landlord says that's fake - you're going to jail for forgery/squatting/burglary/etc."

View Quote

In this case their hands are generally tied.  While it may seem like blaming them for saying it’s a civil matter for the courts that’s really just the facts.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:26:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pat11784] [#31]
Once authorities are notified it severely limits your extra-judicial options.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By midcap:
You are using earths gravity to build muscle
View Quote

In eastern Europe.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Fair question.

Here is how it works where I live.

I have been out of state for 3 months.  When I get home, I find someone (a squatter) living in my home.

I call the county sheriff, who is up for election soon, and report what I have found.  To keep his job, he sends men he deputized to my home.  They remove the squatter.

The end.

Thank you for asking.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Are you sure it's a mute point?
Your post is very quiet, and subdued.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By JimEN:
If you're a law-abiding citizen with a home, assets, a career, a family, a clean record, etc. and you want to avoid the risk of losing any of this you're fucked if it's your property.

That's how it works.

Everyone talks tough what they'd do if it happens to them, but they actually wouldn't and won't.
View Quote

in most cases you could show up with a couple buddies and physically remove these squatters. They aint gonna do shit. Some are pretty crafty and will game the system.

Once you try to take the high road and involve the police yourself you are probably kinda fucked if the squatters know the game.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By pat11784:
Once authorities are notified it severely limits your extra-judicial options.
View Quote

Pretty much this.

Florida just passed a law giving the owner the ability to have LEOs oust squatters almost instantly.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:42:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By xciapup:
Fair question.

Here is how it works where I live.

I have been out of state for 3 months.  When I get home, I find someone (a squatter) living in my home.

I call the county sheriff, who is up for election soon, and report what I have found.  To keep his job, he sends men he deputized to my home.  They remove the squatter.

The end.

Thank you for asking.
View Quote

I had never even considered squatters before. I own acreage and a house up in AR. I’m up there every other month or so. The Sheriff is a family friend but he’s still a politician. Hopefully any squatters at my place have the courtesy to leave me some fuel in my backhoe.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Skydivesnake:

View Quote

saw a youtube vid along these lines.
guy was managing the property for his elderly mother and had a lease drafted with his name, he just went in and occupied the property and changed the locks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Yeah, I don't really get the "it's a civil matter" part.

Someone goes on vacation, then comes home to find squatters.  Would the police response change if the homeowner replied with "Well, in my home is a safe, and in my safe are  guns" ?

Would it be crickets or a SWAT response?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:48:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Paul] [#40]

View Quote

I wonder if that works for commercial property too.

One could take over a whole store full of stuff rather than shoplift one piece at a time.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Don't try this squatting BS in Florida now.

Earlier this month, the Florida Legislature unanimously passed a bill through both chambers that would allow police to immediately remove squatters – a departure from the lengthy court cases required in most states.  House Bill 621 permits police to remove squatters without a lease authorized by the property owner and adds criminal penalties. Landlords, under the current law, typically have to wade through a long and expensive legal process to remove squatters.

There is another sheriff besides Grady Judd that encourages the shooting of those that break into your property.

Imagine going on vacation for two weeks coming home and sorry pos squatters/broke into your home and tell you to leave. I personally would be like.

If my neighbors didn't get to them first.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Duke117:
It works because MOST people are not sufficiently committed to the eviction of the squatters and unwilling to burn their own house down to facilitate the removal…
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/562102/IMG_0867_jpeg-3169171.JPG
View Quote

It's crazy how often shit just catches on fire.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By TheRealBluedog:
Keep in mind, it would take the state legislator 10 minutes to draft a law, making it a very serious felony to perpetrate this type of fraud. But that’s not going to happen. Instead, Democrats are literally teaching people to do this. The left does not believe, people should own more than one house, or that there is ever any justification for owning a house that you do not live in full-time. This is social justice for them.
View Quote

Florida is working on it.

If I go on vacation, and come back to strangers in my house, I will immediately assume that they are armed intruders and act accordingly.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By pilatuspilot:

I had never even considered squatters before. I own acreage and a house up in AR. I’m up there every other month or so. The Sheriff is a family friend but he’s still a politician. Hopefully any squatters at my place have the courtesy to leave me some fuel in my backhoe.
View Quote

I know a guy who bought an acre with an old trailer on it up in GA some place. This black guy moved into the trailer. The guy I know used it once a year, used it to stay in during hunting season. Anyways he showed up and this black guy is claiming squatters rights to his property. Sheriff would do anything and the courts just drug their feet. After a year he just said fuck it and gave up. The guy I knew said the judge knew the old black man some how and had no intentions of evicting him. Some hick county I guess and didn't care for outsiders. But the black man and his family got a free acre of land and trailer. He never went back and gave up his hunting lease.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Not old but I now know I'm not young either after I tried squatting.

Knees and back get hurt real easy lately when squatting weight
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:09:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Kitulu:

Florida is working on it.

If I go on vacation, and come back to strangers in my house, I will immediately assume that they are armed intruders and act accordingly.
View Quote

It's passed

House Bill 621 permits police to remove squatters without a lease authorized by the property owner and adds criminal penalties. DeSantis will sign it if he already hasn't.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:12:39 PM EDT
[#47]
All I'd have to do is drive down to the street behind the courthouse, give a couple of the "day laborers" $50, and the squatter problem would be solved.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#48]
My dad told me one of the neighbors (one of the Gaskill brothers, who were in the Campo gunfight) back in the late 1800s lynched a squatter. I believe he actually used a rope.

Usually you think its a mob, but in this case it was just one guy.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#49]
SSS is an actual thing out in the sticks. Or so I've been told.

But that's likely the last place one would find a squatter. Most likely a city/suburban issue.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:16:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Question:  If this were to happen to one of my 'rental properties' that was vacant for a time being, would I legally be allowed to shoot the squatters upon discovering them during my entry into said property?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
How does squatting work? (Page 1 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top