Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2024 10:59:40 AM EDT
We have two bedrooms downstairs (and a closet) with carpet that is 12 years old. It’s disgusting. Wife and I both despise it.

Looking around at different options to replace the whole downstairs area with SOMETHING. The current engineered flooring was polished by the previous owner but he did a bad job. Some parts are thick with polish and you can see stuck dog hairs. Others, the polish has worn off and is back to the original surface.

If it gets slightly wet, polish peels or clouds. It’s just a mess.

We have two dogs and a kid.

Anyone got any tips? I don’t mind ripping up the existing 1800sqft flooring myself

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#1]
GD will chastise me for saying so, but I think tongue and groove laminate is hard to beat for the money.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:04:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Luxury vinyl plank.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:04:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Smartcore
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:28:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Deny_Everything:
Luxury vinyl plank.
View Quote

Unless they've been able to make it tougher, that stuff doesn't seem to hold up real well to dogs and kids.... especially in rural areas.

OP, consider a porcelain wood look tile.  

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I should add, we’re built on a slab.

Apparently that limits the type of flooring we can put down?

The stuff that’s down right now is glued
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Strand-woven bamboo is an option, it's very hard stuff, way harder than even hickory.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:40:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Taom] [#7]
Originally Posted By DCPhoenix:
We have two bedrooms downstairs (and a closet) with carpet that is 12 years old. It’s disgusting. Wife and I both despise it.

Looking around at different options to replace the whole downstairs area with SOMETHING. The current engineered flooring was polished by the previous owner but he did a bad job. Some parts are thick with polish and you can see stuck dog hairs. Others, the polish has worn off and is back to the original surface.

If it gets slightly wet, polish peels or clouds. It’s just a mess.

We have two dogs and a kid.

Anyone got any tips? I don’t mind ripping up the existing 1800sqft flooring myself

View Quote

I would use some engineered click together flooring, I had 1,200 sq ft installed on a slab two years ago.
If there is any chance of water in that basement get something else, even the so called water proof EWF would not be good if it gets wet.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:43:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: flippflopped] [#8]
Your dogs will not like laminate. That stuff is slippery as ice to a dog or people in sock feet.

I would do lvp but not from Lowe’s. I’d get commercial grade. They put that in our showroom at work and after 5 years of public foot traffic, FedEx hand carts, our dirty boots, etc. it still looked like new.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:45:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By azjogol:

Unless they've been able to make it tougher, that stuff doesn't seem to hold up real well to dogs and kids.... especially in rural areas.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By azjogol:
Luxury vinyl plank.

Sounds like you've owned some of the cheap stuff.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:52:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AttachedFile] [#10]
I'm not sure what it's called but we have the tounge and groove compressed wood bits stuff. So far it's been great, family of 4 with 3 dogs. It was installed over 4 years ago.
The only issue we have is the very last board next to the back door wasn't tapped fully into the board behind it. Water got to the inner wood that's not protected and caused it to swell just a tiny bit. Other than that we have not had issues where liquids were spilled.

Eta.
It's this stuff.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/QuickStep-Studio-Spill-Repel-Toasted-Chestnut-4-85-in-W-x-3-93-ft-L-Handscraped-Wood-Plank-Laminate-Flooring/1000395049
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Luxury vinyl plank.
View Quote

Luxury and Vinyl are two words that do not belong together.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Luxury Vinyl Plank. Glued down to a properly prepared slab. Have it through out my house (not my choice). To be honest, I hate the stuff. Don’t like the feel of it on my bare feet. That said, it looks good and appears to be just about indestructible.  I had 3 dogs (lost 1 a couple of months ago) and 2 of them would chase each other through the house. Water and other liquids spilled on it in the kitchen on a daily basis. Have pushed furniture across it and large bird cages.  No damage I can see.  Nephew redid his house and put in LVP.  He has 5 GSDs, 2 little girls, 1 teen, and a 2 yr old grandson that stays there often.  Heavy traffic with no discernible damage.

If I had my preference and could afford it I’d switch it out with wood plank looking ceramic tiles.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:54:50 PM EDT
[#13]
slate tile.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
slate tile.
View Quote

If you are talking real slate it is not something you see being installed in average houses anymore because of the cost to install.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:23:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kharn] [#15]
Luxury vinyl plank.
View Quote

This. With a thick wear layer and a good attached underlayment.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:26:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Hire someone to remove any adhesive and get it stained and polished- if the slab is a good candidate for polish.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Greenhorn:
Strand-woven bamboo is an option, it's very hard stuff, way harder than even hickory.
View Quote

I like bamboo flooring. Yes, it's usually more expensive than other types, but it seems to be more durable.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#18]
We're going with this for our whole house.
https://www.7evenmtc.com/

It's waterproof and cheaper installed than LVP. We're going to wrap the stair treads with a short pile carpet so they aren't slippery in socks.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:54:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Luxury vinyl plank.
View Quote

LUXURY
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:03:54 PM EDT
[#20]
You need to decided what’s most important to you

Engineered, LVP, laminate, tile all are very different and have different pros and cons.

Water resistance
Durability
Cost
Subfloor
Beauty

All factors in what is “best”
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top