Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2024 2:09:54 PM EDT
So the last 3 prints I have done get to about &0 to 90% then they fail.  It gets to a certain point and the prints get stringy.  For example this is a benchy test print I did last night.

Attachment Attached File

Also did the 3D cube and it failed almost at the end as well.  Any ideas anyone?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:22:18 PM EDT
[#1]
bed adhesion, you are using a holographic plate that has low adhesion. Use gluestick or Nano 3d printer glue. Or change the plate.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:57:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#2]
Swap to a PEI build plate.

Seriously it's amazing. I'll never use anything but textured PEI at this point for PLA, PETG, ASA, ABS, CPE, and PCTG.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:45:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
Swap to a PEI build plate.

Seriously it's amazing. I'll never use anything but textured PEI at this point for PLA, PETG, ASA, ABS, CPE, and PCTG.
View Quote

My textured Bambu PEI was until it wasn't, I've tried everything, washing, scrubbing, z-offset but even PLA will warp off the surface about 10 layers in for a long narrow print. Smooth PEI with glue is much more reliable and even the plates with the pattern he is using are more reliable with no glue.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:45:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By O_Guiness:

My textured Bambu PEI was until it wasn't, I've tried everything, washing, scrubbing, z-offset but even PLA will warp off the surface about 10 layers in for a long narrow print. Smooth PEI with glue is much more reliable and even the plates with the pattern he is using are more reliable with no glue.
View Quote

How much have you printed on the sheet, and have you printed PETG without a release agent?

PEI plates seem tknlast about 1000 hours or so per side.

You can rejuvenate them by doing a full print on the entire sheet. Then use dawn with a stiff bristle brush, and then rinse with cold water, blow it try (don't let it evaporate), and then use alcohol.

Worth a shot unless you simply wore it out.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 12:35:14 AM EDT
[#6]

How much have you printed on the sheet, and have you printed PETG without a release agent?

PEI plates seem tknlast about 1000 hours or so per side.

You can rejuvenate them by doing a full print on the entire sheet. Then use dawn with a stiff bristle brush, and then rinse with cold water, blow it try (don't let it evaporate), and then use alcohol.

Worth a shot unless you simply wore it out.
View Quote

No where near 1k hours, only about 600 total on my X1. Small prints usually do ok but I tried to print a build plate holder today in PLA and it warped like ABS. Maybe I am misunderstanding what you saying, use release on textured plate? I print some PETG but it is not my favorite and mostly use engineering or smooth PEI plate with glue for that. I use ABS, TPU or PLA for most things I design myself. I think I'm going to try scotch brite or steel wool and if that doesn't work just toss it. The off brand patterend plate so far has worked great when sliced as smooth PEI for all prints.

I will try your suggestion but are you saying print full plate maybe 1mm thick PETG or PLA?

You can see the print releasing from the plate. Bambu PLA Matte. This plate was freshly washed and dried with a Z -0.06 in g-code and it still would not stick. I put in a smooth PEI with glue and it completed flawlessly with the same filament.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:04:41 AM EDT
[#7]

No where near 1k hours, only about 600 total on my X1. Small prints usually do ok but I tried to print a build plate holder today in PLA and it warped like ABS. Maybe I am misunderstanding what you saying, use release on textured plate? I print some PETG but it is not my favorite and mostly use engineering or smooth PEI plate with glue for that. I use ABS, TPU or PLA for most things I design myself. I think I'm going to try scotch brite or steel wool and if that doesn't work just toss it. The off brand patterend plate so far has worked great when sliced as smooth PEI for all prints.

I will try your suggestion but are you saying print full plate maybe 1mm thick PETG or PLA?

You can see the print releasing from the plate. Bambu PLA Matte. This plate was freshly washed and dried with a Z -0.06 in g-code and it still would not stick. I put in a smooth PEI with glue and it completed flawlessly with the same filament.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/475357/snip_warping_png-3194079.JPG
View Quote

You dont wven need 1mm. Do two layers. So maybe 0.5mm.

Zero reason that shouldn't be sticking. How exactly are you washing and drying it?
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#8]

You dont wven need 1mm. Do two layers. So maybe 0.5mm.

Zero reason that shouldn't be sticking. How exactly are you washing and drying it?
View Quote

Hot water and dawn. I keep a sponge dedicated to washing the build plates and also use the rough side to scrub the textured plate. Dry with microfiber. Not sure what I'm doing wrong because sometimes it works, sometimes not. I will try your suggestion and dry with hot air.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:42:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is the Bambu Wiki for the textured PEI. https://wiki.bambulab.com/en/general/textured-PEI-plate-not-working-as-expected

Prints I did yesterday came out better, no lifting, &;on the last set I even missed adding a brim, yet still didn’t lift.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t PLA lifting a sign of over temp, or is there a happy medium of just right?

I haven’t done PLA on the textured PEI plate yet, so curious to see how you get it to stick.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Hot water and dawn. I keep a sponge dedicated to washing the build plates and also use the rough side to scrub the textured plate. Dry with microfiber. Not sure what I'm doing wrong because sometimes it works, sometimes not. I will try your suggestion and dry with hot air.
View Quote

Do you have an air compressor?

Blow it off if you can. If you let it dry, even with hot air, the minerals in your water will deposit on your build plate. Aka it won't be clean.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By gtfoxy:
Here is the Bambu Wiki for the textured PEI. https://wiki.bambulab.com/en/general/textured-PEI-plate-not-working-as-expected

Prints I did yesterday came out better, no lifting, &;on the last set I even missed adding a brim, yet still didn’t lift.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t PLA lifting a sign of over temp, or is there a happy medium of just right?

I haven’t done PLA on the textured PEI plate yet, so curious to see how you get it to stick.
View Quote

You can certainly go too hot and it will warp off due to temp diff and internal stresses in the part, but its far more common to have a dirty build plate. PLA sticks to textured PEI but it needs to be clean, especially with larger parts.

I accidentally printed with my PETG prepped plate (I keep it wiped down with Windex) and PLA will NOT stick to that.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:
I would recommend AGAINST using air from an air compressor. That almost always has oil in it (even just small amounts from blow-by), which is what we want to avoid.

Hair dryer works more betterer.
View Quote

Hair dryer evaporates the water leaving the contaminants on the build plate. Unless you use RO water.

Compressors generally only have oil at the end tool. I don't run oil anywhere in the tank or lines, and I don't oil my blow gun.

But good watch out. That said I've never had an issue doing it that way.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 7:58:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Would canned air be ok?
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:14:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't spray it with the can upside down. Lol
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:23:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rat_Patrol] [#18]
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I imagine so. Lol I would hate to crack the machined bed from thermal shock.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:15:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:09:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend actually doing that
View Quote

So I ran the file again but this time with a raft and used the pei side of the plate and it printed fine.  Then changed files to a more complex multi cube print and it needed badly.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:11:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Layer shift got you there. Was the part coming loose from the bed or other layer shift issue?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Fullautoguy:

So I ran the file again but this time with a raft and used the pei side of the plate and it printed fine.  Then changed files to a more complex multi cube print and it needed badly.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64149/IMG_2681_jpeg-3195829.JPG

Layer shift got you there. Was the part coming loose from the bed or other layer shift issue?

Unfortunately I didn’t have my camera recording it.  I’m going to run it again tonight with Timelapse on and see if your hunch is correct.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:51:41 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

I'd assume skipped step based on how big that brim is and how it kept going after the shift for a few layers. Usually a loose part is instant speghetti.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top