Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/28/2024 12:59:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cpt_Kirks]
What older, inexpensive truck to use?

Have to be pre-electronic ignition (or adaptable to pre-electronic).

Heavy chassis and frame.

4WD, high ground clearance.

What are the cartels using?

Thread inspired by this thread:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Virginia-police-have-their-own-killdozers-now-/5-2715931/

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The A-team always used whatever they were locked in the barn with.

Worked for them.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:13:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably cheaper to buy a surplus APC of some sort than to build your own(if you want something that is done right)
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:16:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#3]
Just grab a legit purpose-built one when you need one.

(Study the TMs in advance.)
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Square body chevy or obs 2500 suburban. Most idiot proof but durable is likely to be a 95 pre vortec tbi.
I have one, it's gutless, adding armor it would probaly get  3 mpg and  not get to freeway speeds.
I'm sure buying a used armored car would be less work and better product
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:50:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Danted:
Square body chevy or obs 2500 suburban. Most idiot proof but durable is likely to be a 95 pre vortec tbi.
I have one, it's gutless, adding armor it would probaly get  3 mpg and  not get to freeway speeds.
I'm sure buying a used armored car would be less work and better product
View Quote

My son likes odd projects and can build ANYTHING.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Probably anything one-ton with a big block or diesel. Look at the homebrew APC’s that all the PMC’s were making in the first half of Iraq. It was a bunch of heavy steel plate welded to some base model F350’s.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Armor doesn't do well unsupported. Seems like a great way to stick out as an obvious target. The weight will render them useless off well maintained roads (regardless of 4wd), which are likely to be blocked, low single digit mpgs...
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:54:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:55:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By renegade509:
Probably cheaper to buy a surplus APC of some sort than to build your own(if you want something that is done right)
View Quote

They sell surplus humvees all the time. What are those built to withstand?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Land Cruiser.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:58:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd go with either of my two current trucks.  

82 square body with a 350
96 F150 with a 5.0.

Spare parts all over the place.  And you can build them out with as much horsie powers as you want to tote around your steel plated body.

F150 is an easy swap to run a carb and a 1960s technology ignition.  I probably have a couple spare intakes for them sitting out in the yard somewhere.
The 350, you can build it on up with a stroker, heads, and cam.  Or just LS swap it, bro.  Front cover that allows you to run a distributor, intake for a carb.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By fttam:
The A-team always used whatever they were locked in the barn with.

Worked for them.

https://www.bradycarlson.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/ateamcupajoe092110-05.jpg
View Quote

that made my day.  lol that was good.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:01:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheLookingGlass] [#13]
An older mid to late 90's 5.9 cummins in a dodge 2500 ram. It will run without a battery or alternator if they die or get disabled. With a manual trans that engine can be push started by 2 people without using a battery and will happily run with no battery or alternator making it EMP proof. The only thing you have to do is a little mod to the injection pump to bypass the shutoff solenoid that normally needs 12v. Could be easy enough to up armor a dodge pickup with plates of AR500 or whatever you like.

You could also up armor a surplus humvee. those can be had used for 10-12K if you look on govplanet auctions. I know because I got one a few years ago. Unfortunately I sold it.

Whatever you choose, stay away from gas engines. Gas is highly flammable and the last thing you want is to get hit in the gas tank and start dumping gasoline all over the back half of the vehicle while you are engaged with bad guys.  Diesel is far less flammable when it comes to this situation.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:04:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Cpt_Kirks:

Heavy chassis and frame.

Thread inspired by this thread:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Virginia-police-have-their-own-killdozers-now-/5-2715931/

View Quote

Diesels for the heavy armored vehicles. F250 and up, don't forget to upgrade the suspension.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:05:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fisherman] [#15]

Heavy chassis and frame.

View Quote

I searched "used armored trucks for sale'" and it pulled up a lot of listings/companies.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:07:53 PM EDT
[#16]
3/4 ton Suburban converted to 1 ton or greater.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh yeah, this is a tag.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Anything that stands out is gonna attract attention.

How about an F350 4x4 ambulance (retaining color scheme and non-working lights), will go anywhere, hiding in plain sight.

That or the same disguised as a utility truck.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:15:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StaccatoC2] [#19]
Just buy a ferret and get a trailer. Even with the wheel blown off the trailer the ferret can still drag it.

Or an up armored humvee

Oh this should be an ARFCOM wet dream  Armored land rovers
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:28:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Skydivesnake:
How about an F350 4x4 ambulance (retaining color scheme and non-working lights), will go anywhere, hiding in plain sight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Works great until people need an ambulance and they're wondering why you won't stop. lol
Then you'll get attention.

Much better.
You'll be able to access disaster areas too. (Maybe with an additional special placard in the window.)
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:30:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mikNtx] [#21]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:36:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Isn't the cartel just up arming 3/4 and 1 tons with plate?

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:37:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Londo] [#23]
Here's mine . GMC.
I'm nearly finished with the conversion. Am doing the work as I get the funds. Started out as my Y2K bug out vehicle.
Stealth is one of my main criteria, and I believe this qualifies as a "grey man" vehicle. No one would give this a second glance.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Suburbans are junk. Also a lot of area to armor thus weight. They do pretty well in wrecks though.

What’s the goal? For defense it might be better to be underestimated. If something doesn’t look armored an attacker might not pull out a rifle. Lots of car bodies stop lots of pistol rounds. With a little help in the door panels they could do fairly well. On a full size lifted truck the angles would do better. If you want ballistic rated windows it’s time to buy a specialty vehicle.

For attack or intimidation just hang some plate steel on whatever until you’re content. Seems like Killdozer would be a ten. Sandbags around a pintle mount LMG in a pickup maybe a three? Ok if a Tacoma then a four.

Fire truck, delivery truck, whatever. Lots of fleet vehicles use the same key.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:38:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Why not buy a surplus military vehicle straight out?

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:39:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Cpt_Kirks:Have to be pre-electronic ignition (or adaptable to pre-electronic).
View Quote
Hand crank starter?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:39:46 PM EDT
[#27]
FPNI
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By TheLookingGlass:
An older mid to late 90's 5.9 cummins in a dodge 2500 ram. It will run without a battery or alternator if they die or get disabled. With a manual trans that engine can be push started by 2 people without using a battery and will happily run with no battery or alternator making it EMP proof. The only thing you have to do is a little mod to the injection pump to bypass the shutoff solenoid that normally needs 12v. Could be easy enough to up armor a dodge pickup with plates of AR500 or whatever you like.

You could also up armor a surplus humvee. those can be had used for 10-12K if you look on govplanet auctions. I know because I got one a few years ago. Unfortunately I sold it.

Whatever you choose, stay away from gas engines. Gas is highly flammable and the last thing you want is to get hit in the gas tank and start dumping gasoline all over the back half of the vehicle while you are engaged with bad guys.  Diesel is far less flammable when it comes to this situation.
View Quote

This, an old dodge diesel 4x4 with the solid front axle. Much easier to add leaf springs front and back so the suspension can support the extra weight of the armor than to try and get a new coil spring with triple the spring rate or try and modify any GM 1988 & newer with the torsion bar independent front suspension.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Older and inexpensive don’t go along with heavy and 4x4

At any rate it would have straight FF axles no matter what it is.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Paul:
Hand crank starter?
View Quote

I think an early enough truck with a crank start would be beyond most arfcommers ability’s
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:43:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I've got a plasma cutter and a sizable fab table. Worst comes to worst, the 250 is getting paneled up lol.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:43:42 PM EDT
[#32]
You could search for an old M800 series 5 ton and a M-113 body (and some surplus HMMWV bullet resistant windshields)

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
You could search for an old M800 series 5 ton and a M-113 body (and some surplus HMMWV bullet resistant windshields)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119852/Hybrid_M809_M113-1247775.jpg
View Quote

Oh now that is cool! If it has A/C, a comfy seat and cruise control it’s a dream ride.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:53:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fireguy] [#34]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:53:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Karankawa:

Oh now that is cool! If it has A/C, a comfy seat and cruise control it's a dream ride.
View Quote
The early days of OIF were full of Mad Max inspired vehicles, crazy times.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:13:58 PM EDT
[#36]

My son likes odd projects and can build ANYTHING.

View Quote

Anything?

Tell him to build a cloaking device instead. Will get better mileage.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:18:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Old Ford with an IDI can be had fairly cheaply.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#39]
F-450
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:29:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Just make sure you get these, for ....reasons.

OP
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Londo:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/4392/IMG_4294-3171924.jpgHere's mine . GMC.
I'm nearly finished with the conversion. Am doing the work as I get the funds. Started out as my Y2K bug out vehicle.
Stealth is one of my main criteria, and I believe this qualifies as a "grey man" vehicle. No one would give this a second glance.

View Quote

...I'm not sure who told you that it's a "grey man" vehicle, but if I'm at a stoplight and that's anywhere in the bunch of vehicles stopped at that stop light, I'm gonna fucking notice it. It sticks out.

25+ year old vehicles in general stick out. 2 tone 25+ year old vehicles that have the rear being held on by tape stick out even more. Even if you rattlecanned that all the same color...guess what, it's now a 25+ year old rattlecanned vehicle that sticks out like a sore thumb. Maybe in your AO it might not stick out if you live smack dab in the capital of Meth, but even in rural areas...that sticks out.

You'd stick out a lot less driving a 10 year old Toyota 4Runner in good condition, or a 10 year old Honda, or...whatever. Anything 20+ years old is verging on a collector's car; 25 years and older in a lot of states qualifies for collector plates. Your y2k vehicle may have been invisible in y2k...it ain't invisible in 2024.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:32:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Codyboy] [#42]
K5 Blazer. Not sure when they went to electronic BS.

I know a 78 had points.

ETA

On second thought after reading some replies , I would go with a 3/4 ton Suburban with a diesel . You may have to make your own biodiesel fuel one day.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#43]
I always thought about grabbing a bunch of ar500 cheap chest plates and putting them in som shit box doors and a couple over the grill. Probably not shft worthy but if I duck down and slam the gas I might have a chance to escape a shootout.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Codyboy:

I know a 78 had points.
View Quote

I had a '78 C10 that my grandfather bought new. It had the HEI ignition in it, with the 4 pin module.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:40:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By AR15A2SporterII:

I had a '78 C10 that my grandfather bought new. It had the HEI ignition in it, with the 4 pin module.
View All Quotes

I know a 78 had points.

You are correct . Not sure why I said points. Was thinking distributor. My 78 Bonanza had the HEI distributor too.

I'm dumb and will go sit  in the corner.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#46]

You are correct . Not sure why I said points. Was thinking distributor. My 78 Bonanza had the HEI distributor too.

View All Quotes

I know a 78 had points.

It's all good. I remember that damn pickup froze up the advance weights, and started running like crap. I stuck a complete unit in it that I got from Summit Racing. What a difference!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Why not buy an old armored car?    They’d need a semi to take you down.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#49]
I rather make a technical with a belt fed than a big heavy POS that doesn’t have real armor.

I don’t want to be in a vehicle that has half ass protection that will draw fire and be slow af.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:53:54 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

An ambulance will attract addicts and gangbangers looking to loot it for drugs. My wife is a Paramedic and when they respond to certain neighborhoods the CHUDs come out of the dark like moths to a flame.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top