Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2024 11:06:26 AM EDT
I don't know why but I have this urge to sell my kit and just go to something like the new Leica Q3.
Since I only do photography, I feel like it would make me more interested in bringing the camera more places with me and encourage some more creativity.

On the other hand the Q3 is $6000, so I'd be selling my current kit to justify it, and ultimately think I would miss the 70-200 GM II a lot, even if most of my favorite photos have been taken with a 16-35.  
What I have now:

Sony A7iv
Sony 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Sony 16-35 f/2.8 GM
Sony 50mm f/1.4 GM
Sony 70-200 f/2.8 GM II

Just curious to hear other's thoughts on doing something like this.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:47:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I jumped from Canon to Olympus M43.
The difference in gear weight and bulk is amazing!
I'm taking photographs again!
However, I have retained my Canon gear, just in case.

If you ease into it a bit, with used gear, it's not so painful.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:37:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm saving to buy some more gear from a fellow arfcommer.  

I should sell down some.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh and that 70-200 2.8 is an amazing piece of glass.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:10:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Grendel-OK] [#4]
That's not really that much gear. And it's a good selection of lenses with a quality camera. The Leica is a different animal. But sometimes you want to make a change so something a bit different. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Hell, I've got three cameras (a Canon EOS RP, R6mkII, and R7)...four if you include my Black Magic PCC 4K cinema camera....five if you include my Go Pro...okay six if you include my drone...plus about 13 different lenses, and two DJI gimbals.

But I still have way more invested in audio gear: 30 something different microphones, 5 different audio interfaces, 32 channels of outboard mic preamps, a 96 channel mixing console, and an actual remote truck....

Okay, I might have a bit of a problem. But in my defense, I am a professional audio engineer.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Grendel-OK:
That's not really that much gear. And it's a good selection of lenses with a quality camera. The Leica is a different animal. But sometimes you want to make a change so something a bit different. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Hell, I've got three cameras (a Canon EOS RP, R6mkII, and R7)...four if you include my Black Magic PCC 4K cinema camera....five if you include my Go Pro...okay six if you include my drone...plus about 13 different lenses, and two DJI gimbals.

But I still have way more invested in audio gear: 30 something different microphones, 5 different audio interfaces, 32 channels of outboard mic preamps, a 96 channel mixing console, and an actual remote truck....

Okay, I might have a bit of a problem. But in my defense, I am a professional audio engineer.
View Quote

Here's my field audio rig.  Small, light, and (except for the stand) you can stick in it your pocket!

PCM A10 Rig by FredMan, on Flickr

CA-14s in Action by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:01:17 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

Yep.  As much as I romanticize the idea of a single small well built camera to take everywhere.  I know I would find myself missing the versatility I had with my Sony kit.  
Altho, I do think I'm going to part with my 90mm Macro.  Its a truly great lens, but I just grab for the 70-200 more.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:19:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By FredMan:
Here's my field audio rig.  Small, light, and (except for the stand) you can stick in it your pocket!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51290092590_8a189c0cd1_h.jpgPCM A10 Rig by FredMan, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50588852161_487f21161a_h.jpgCA-14s in Action by FredMan, on Flickr
View Quote

There's definitely something to be said for small and light set up.

This is my current recording rig: redundant Protools systems, up to 64 channels (this one was in the 34-36 range I think). Plus a tertiary 2-track on the Tascam recorder.

I've slimmed down a bunch. I used to carry 24 channels of outboard mic preamps. But now I'm just networking to the house console to pull everything except the first 8 channels in.

My main four mic array:

And the editing suite in my remote truck:

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ShiftSix:

Yep.  As much as I romanticize the idea of a single small well built camera to take everywhere.  I know I would find myself missing the versatility I had with my Sony kit.  
Altho, I do think I'm going to part with my 90mm Macro.  Its a truly great lens, but I just grab for the 70-200 more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

My 70-200 is an awesome lens.  But I find myself using my 100-400 far more.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Goodn:
View Quote

Like microphones, and guns, each lens has a different purpose. What you need all just depends on what you like to shoot and how much gear you're willing to lug around to have the variety of options that you need or want.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:24:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Like microphones, and guns, each lens has a different purpose. What you need all just depends on what you like to shoot and how much gear you're willing to lug around to have the variety of options that you need or want.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Goodn:

Oh. no doubt.  

I usually carry multiple body and lens combos.

This was shot with my 70-200 with an A7II

And my 100-400 with an A7III

Sometimes I also have my A77II and a 150-600 and a hybrid camcorder.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:31:07 PM EDT
[#11]

There's definitely something to be said for small and light set up.

This is my current recording rig: redundant Protools systems, up to 64 channels (this one was in the 34-36 range I think). Plus a tertiary 2-track on the Tascam recorder.

I've slimmed down a bunch. I used to carry 24 channels of outboard mic preamps. But now I'm just networking to the house console to pull everything except the first 8 channels in.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/342309/IMG_20230907_210454354-3151584.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/342309/IMG_20230907_210517749-3151586.jpg

My main four mic array:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/342309/IMG_20231111_185326749-3151588.jpg

And the editing suite in my remote truck:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/342309/IMG_20190107_202228255-1635401.jpg
View Quote

Nice audio equipment.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Just curious to hear other's thoughts on doing something like this.  
View Quote

I just bought an M43 Olympus Pen F and two lenses.

It replaces an old Olympus Evolt E-500 with two lenses.

That replaced my old OM-1n film camera with five lenses.

That replaced my old Olympus 35RC rangefinder.

Still have all that stuff, plus three German rangefinder cameras (with all their gear) that belonged to my mom.

Plus some 1920's folding cameras that are displayed in my library.

I'm as bad with old cameras as I am with old guns.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:31:18 AM EDT
[#13]
The Pen F is ruggedly constructed.
It's a good choice, I think.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top