Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2024 9:47:06 PM EDT
The other day, I was talking to a friend I met when I was mentoring our high school robotics team.  He is still a mentor.

I asked him what design software they were using.  It's called OnShape and is online and free to use for personal use if you don't mind your designs being available to the public.

The first part I drew up was a replacement for the plastic piece that keeps the dial from rotating on a pair of calipers.

Attachment Attached File

The black piece was the original part.  I had over tightened it years ago and cracked it at the 90 deg corner.

For the new part, I added a small fillet at that corner and a rib on top.  Should be stronger and will work as long as I'm not an idiot.

Part cost: $0.25

Today, I designed up a new bracket to replace one I hacked out of wood with a coping saw.  The bracket is used to hold my ham radio head unit in the mount I have.  The height of the radio is shorter than the minimum height the mount can hold.

Radio mounted with wood bracket:
Attachment Attached File

New plastic bracket in mount with wood bracket on back of radio:
Attachment Attached File

Comparison of the two brackets.  The dowel pins and ramp features keep the bracket from sliding sideways in the mount:
Attachment Attached File

New bracket on radio:
Attachment Attached File

Part cost: $0.50

They charge based on the amount of plastic used until you get up to a certain print time then there is an extra cost.

I'm pretty happy with both parts.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:06:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Neat that your library does that. Do they run the printers or do you?

Also, design tip...use chamfers on the XZ and YZ planes if it's going to be an overhang instead of a fillet. It prints cleaner due to the angle.

So make these chamfers instead. Doesn't matter for a mechanical part but it's good practice to be aware of how it's going to be printed during the design phase.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:23:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
Neat that your library does that. Do they run the printers or do you?

Also, design tip...use chamfers on the XZ and YZ planes if it's going to be an overhang instead of a fillet. It prints cleaner due to the angle.

So make these chamfers instead. Doesn't matter for a mechanical part but it's good practice to be aware of how it's going to be printed during the design phase.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/back_side-3190842.png
View Quote

The library has a Makerspace that has different services available. Most you can use yourself but they run the 3D printers.

The caliper part took 8 minutes to print.

The mounting bracket was 2.5 hrs from when I submitted it until I got the email saying it was done.

Could you explain the chamfer comment some more?  Not sure which ones you are saying should be chamfers.  Thanks.

Next part is going to be for my camera tripod.  Need to replace another cracked part.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:27:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I may have figured it out regarding the chamfer.

If the side shown in the math is the side that would be sitting on the table and would get printed first, all the fillets on that surface should be chamfers.

Makes sense.

The overhang being the overall length and width of the part being wider than the surface on the table.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:33:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Op that caliber stop was a great idea. Freaking cool as can be !
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By NDHojo:
Op that caliber stop was a great idea. Freaking cool as can be !
View Quote

Thanks.

I'm pretty happy with how well it printed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:17:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Came up with a couple more parts.

First one is used to hold the legs on a camera tripod.  I had cracked the original one.  This part too too tries (cost an extra $0.75 🙄).  The hole diameters were too small.  The adjusted design works great.  The original parts had threads molded in for the knob.  I used a nut instead.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:20:49 PM EDT
[#7]
The second part is a stand to hold my radio on my desk.  Previously, I just had the radio sitting on the desk.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This part also cost $0.75.

I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.  Can't think of any other parts I need to draw up and print.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:32:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By raffi383:
 Can't think of any other parts I need to draw up and print.
View Quote

You will.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:59:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By thezentree:

You will.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thezentree:
Originally Posted By raffi383:
 Can't think of any other parts I need to draw up and print.

You will.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top