Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2024 9:32:34 AM EDT
I picked up a Griswold and a few Wagners at a local flea market. The Griswold caught my attention because despite it’s rough initial appearance, it is completely flat with no wobble. After 10 layers of seasoning with Avacado oil, the cooking surface looks and feels like Teflon.

Before pics:

Lye bath:

Bare metal:

Seasoned:

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:34:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spuddicus] [#1]
Kinky. Love some cast iron

Grissy #8 given to me by a coworker. Post refinishing
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Grissy #6 found at goodwill. Cant find the pics currently.
ETA gere we are
Attachment Attached File

Best CI find ever for me was two brand new stargazers at a goodwill for $35 total
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:37:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Is there a way to take the wobble out?  Found an old wagner that someone put on induction and warped it, I think.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kc215:
Is there a way to take the wobble out?  Found an old wagner that someone put on induction and warped it, I think.
View Quote

Hydraulic press maybe?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:39:05 AM EDT
[#4]
View Quote
I doubt induction warped it.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:39:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By eurotrash:

Hydraulic press maybe?
View Quote

Don't try this if it is cold.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:39:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By spuddicus:
Kinky. Love some cast iron

Grissy #8 given to me by a coworker. Post refinishing
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/150826/IMG_7967_jpeg-3172641.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/150826/IMG_7964_jpeg-3172643.JPG

Grissy #6 found at goodwill. Cant find the pics currently.

Best CI find ever for me was two brand new stargazers at a goodwill for $35 total
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/150826/IMG_6183_jpeg-3172645.JPG
View Quote

Nice! How do the Stargazers compare to the Griswold?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for input, I'll just deal with it.   Getting new gas range, it might sit better on it vs. the flat top electric.  I only paid $1 for it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:43:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spuddicus] [#8]

View Quote

Stargazers are amazing pans to cook on.  I gave the smaller one to my brother in law and have been using the everloving shit out of the 12” one.

They don't “season” like the antiques so it looks odd currently. After a basic cleanup, nothing has stuck to that pan.
Smooth finish is probably finer than a griswold but they are significantly heavier.

Griswold > Stargazer in my opinion just due to weight.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:46:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Stargazers are amazing pans to cook on.  I gave the smaller one to my brother in law and have been using the everloving shit out of the 12” one.

They don't “season” like the antiques so it looks odd currently. After a basic cleanup, nothing has stuck to that pan.
Smooth finish is probably finer than a griswold but they are significantly heavier.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Coming from Lodge, the light weight of the Griswold and Wagners was a surprise.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:46:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mattellis2] [#10]
joke's on you.  stargazer sucks ass.

I bought one of the first releases.  uncomfortable handle and never could get it to take a proper season.  no issue with how I do my griswolds or wagners.  Piece of junk sits unused in the back of the cabinet.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:47:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spuddicus] [#11]
Originally Posted By mattellis2:
joke's on you.  stargazer sucks ass.

I bought one of the first releases.  uncomfortable handle and never could get it to take a proper season.  no issue with how I do my griswolds or wagners.  Piece of junk sits unused in the back of the cabinet.
View Quote

Based on production date mine are not gen 1.
9/23.  They are fucking great pans.

Also, joke is in you for paying full price
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:50:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Looks like that was bought in my home town.

I just fixed up this one once I got all the crud off the handle had a bad crack(like idk how it hadn't fallen off yet) Heated it up welded it with a millermatic little grinding and seasoning. She won't be a prom queen but she will cook

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
Let me near a surface grinder and I'll give ya the flattest skillet you've ever seen
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:52:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Iowaredneck:
Looks like that was bought in my home town.

I just fixed up this one once I got all the crud off the handle had a bad crack(like idk how it hadn't fallen off yet) Heated it up welded it with a millermatic little grinding and seasoning. She won't be a prom queen but she will cook

https://i.imgur.com/Y2Gtk8x.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/KgnGhq8.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/SofkxQx.jpeg
View Quote

Mt. Pleasant is a gold mine for cast iron.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:04:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Iowaredneck] [#15]

View Quote

Idk I like garage sale/thrift store prices not antique store/ebay prices I did buy this one and fixed it up for my oldest daughter though

I mostly just hunt for old coleman lanterns but will buy cool old cast for the right price and have got a few things at that same place.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Idk I like garage sale/thrift store prices not antique store/ebay prices I did buy this one and fixed it up for my oldest daughter though

https://i.imgur.com/l6F0Xi1.jpeg

I mostly just hunt for old coleman lanterns but will buy cool old cast for the right price and have got a few things at that same place.
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/l6F0Xi1.jpeg

Admittedly, I paid too much for the Griswold. I’m not interested in “The Hunt” and the Wagners were only $20 each and I’ll probably give them away after restoring.I am not interested in accumulating. I had a few Colemans but I sold all but two 200A models.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:15:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I have several Griswold skillets. My favorite is the #5. It's light enough to throw in a backpack for grilling trout.

My absolute favorite piece is a Scotch bowl I found on the bank of the Upper Kern River when I was seven (1977). It's pitted so I don't use it or plan to restore it. I love the patina and it brings back memories of all those trips spent on the river.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#19]

Hydraulic press maybe?
View Quote

It will crack...  

or Grenade.

Either way.  Record it - and make a thread.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:31:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Hydraulic press maybe?
View All Quotes

Hydraulic press maybe?

Blanchard grinder.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#21]
That looks great?  How did you prepare the lye bath?  I thought they banned Red Devil lye years ago.  No electrolysis needed to acieve that?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Sand blast and header paint. Then throw it away and get a $10 Teflon pan. I had a nice frying pan once - seasoned it on a wood fire on an old-fashioned brick grill that was on a property I was renting (1972). Everything was fine until the stupid 1st wife washed and scoured it to 'get it clean'. Surprisingly, it wasn't long before she was an ex-wife. I threw the damn pan away too and never tried to cook on iron again.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By TheLineIsReady:
That looks great?  How did you prepare the lye bath?  I thought they banned Red Devil lye years ago.  No electrolysis needed to acieve that?
View Quote

Thanks. I used this stuff which claims to be 99% pure:

I also cheated and heated the pan to 1000F in my Ooni pizza oven after the lye bath. The high temperature removed the last of the carbon and it had no impact on the base metal. After the oven, I gave the pan a final soak in vinegar.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#24]
I have one no-name that spins.  I am tempted to hit it with the 8" Makita grinder, but I will more than likely, just sell it at a yard sale.

After initial seasoning, this is how to get it perfect:

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:09:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
I have one no-name that spins.  I am tempted to hit it with the 8" Makita grinder, but I will more than likely, just sell it at a yard sale.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41996/hash_browns_seaxoning_skillet_JPG-3106899.jpg

View Quote

What is that, hash browns?

I’ve had good results with fajita onions and peppers.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:49:23 AM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wildearp:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41996/hash_browns_seaxoning_skillet_JPG-3106899.jpg

I found an 8" Griswold Chicken Fryer at the city recycling center that someone was going to toss.
Got it home and made a Roux in it. No other seasoning needed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:04:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Those are some good finds OP.

If I remember correctly, those cross model griswolds are more sought after than the standard versions.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:15:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I love rehabbing old cast iron.  I've had my best luck getting the old finish off with heat above 650 degrees.  Our old oven would do it, but the new one doesn't.  So I now use the AKORN smoker and griller.  I hold it to 700 and above until it quits smoking, then another 30-45 minutes.  When it cools off and I can open the top, the old finish has completely baked off and can be removed with a swish of the hand (or a dust whisk.)   I just take the skillet up to the kitchen sink and clean it off with Dawn, a green scrubbie, and water as hot as you can stand.  Then heat-dry it on the stove top, season, and you're done.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#29]

Admittedly, I paid too much for the Griswold. I’m not interested in “The Hunt” and the Wagners were only $20 each and I’ll probably give them away after restoring.I am not interested in accumulating. I had a few Colemans but I sold all but two 200A models.
https://www.hkpro.com/media/img_2340-jpeg.274567/full
View Quote

That's a sexy lantern I got a bad fetish for them

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:38:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Cast iron cookie

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:54:27 PM EDT
[#31]
barely a grizzy 40s or 50s. But nice restore!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:58:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Cast iron cookie

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/563643/IMG_0728-3173173.jpg
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top