User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 7/19/2023 9:02:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal]
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 8:04:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Good stuff.
Thats warm considering its a quarry.

When I was at Bragg, use to hit the local quarries.  That was 39 yrs ago now that I think of it.  One was setup for divers...the others we hiked/snuck into.  The most interesting ones were the ones that were left as is.  I recall one had a model t setup with the rear axel driving a huge belt to some piece of equipment.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice!

I took some GoPro video on our last trip (7/15) and I'll try to grab a few screenshots and post them up as well.  My brother just did trunks for his exposure suit, lol.  He said he didn't feel or get cold at all.  I had a cheapo 3mm and it was perfect for me.

It is a great local dive site, and the vis is perfect right now.  The only downside is the access road.  I wish they would have put more effort into making it better.  Going back now and trying to do some switchbacks or leveling will be tough.

The fact it is aerated, and thus has no thermocline, is such a bonus.  The paddlefish are cool to see as well.

I do agree with your previous comment about the geese.  I'm wondering if they have a solution in mind (suppressed 22 comes to mind, lol).  

I don't get too many free days during the week, but if you plan to go again let me know and maybe we can link up.

My wife, brother, and two nephews are all certified and we try to dive together as much as possible.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 9:44:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#3]
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 10:17:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#4]
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 12:28:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 5:43:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Bumping this because Gray looks like a viable dive weekend for me somewhere down the road.  I'm in Atlanta, but plan on heading that way late this spring or early summer to do some motorcycle riding in the mountains.  I trailer to my destinations, so it'd be easy to add a bin of scuba gear to the car...

Which shop do you guys use for reservations and tanks?
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 5:49:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#7]
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
Smoky Mountain Divers in Gray:

https://www.smokymountaindivers.com/

I do my own tanks but they can hook you up.  That’s where I pay my entry fee and pick up my entry tickets.
View Quote

Thanks!
I've got tanks that are long outa hydro and viz. I guess I'll get that process started once my budget recovers from all of the gear refreshment and replacement costs I've suffered in the last month

How's the water temp there?  I've been looking but haven't found much info on current or predicted conditions for later this year.  I have a drysuit that's been in storage for 10 years.  The latex seals feel OK, I'm just worried they've aged and will tear the first time I try to dive them...
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:12:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#9]
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:43:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By corruptor:

Thanks!
I've got tanks that are long outa hydro and viz. I guess I'll get that process started once my budget recovers from all of the gear refreshment and replacement costs I've suffered in the last month

How's the water temp there?  I've been looking but haven't found much info on current or predicted conditions for later this year.  I have a drysuit that's been in storage for 10 years.  The latex seals feel OK, I'm just worried they've aged and will tear the first time I try to dive them...
View Quote

If your seals are that old, they probably need to be replaced.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:10:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Marie:

If your seals are that old, they probably need to be replaced.
View Quote

Yup, that's what I'm thinking.  Too bad too, as I had Steve Gamble (RIP) replace all of the seals right before my ex and I quit diving.  I never even trimmed the neck seal   It's a Dive Rite 905, 20 years old...  This time around I'm going to see if I can get the SiTech cuffs and collar installed so I can use their replaceable seals.

Anyone have a preferred drysuit repair shop?
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 8:38:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#12]
Originally Posted By corruptor:

Yup, that's what I'm thinking.  Too bad too, as I had Steve Gamble (RIP) replace all of the seals right before my ex and I quit diving.  I never even trimmed the neck seal   It's a Dive Rite 905, 20 years old...  This time around I'm going to see if I can get the SiTech cuffs and collar installed so I can use their replaceable seals.

Anyone have a preferred drysuit repair shop?
View Quote

Friends have used Superior with good results. They’re also recommended by DGX.

https://www.drysuitrepair.com/

Do NOT go with DRIS. Just don’t.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks Marie, I'll add them to my list.  
I also put in a message to the crew at Dive Rite.  They don't do service on their suits outside of warranty stuff, but they did give me info for their preferred local shop.
Stay Dri is here in Lake city and is who we all use for our personal suit repairs, they can be reached at 386-344-4110. If they are not available
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Good you’ve got a couple of options.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 9:45:19 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

I have heard great things about Superior as well from my friends down here, even with shipping the suit back and forth.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#16]
OP, I frequent huntington is that far from you?
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:04:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top