Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:29:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I finally unsubscribed to G&R marketing email, the "Other" reason I gave was the link in the OP
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:48:27 AM EDT
[#2]
The Ohio Auditor's of State published this press release:

https://ohioauditor.gov/news/pressreleases/Details/7354

The only new bit is in bold:

Former Bolivar Police Officer, Gun Shop Owner Plead Guilty to Roles in Scheme to Purchase Ammunition During Pandemic
For immediate Release
Friday, February 16, 2024
COLUMBUS – A former Bolivar police officer and the owner of a Strasburg gun shop have pleaded guilty to their roles in a scheme involving the purchase of ammunition, Auditor of State Keith Faber announced.

Officer Jeffrey Stearns pleaded guilty to one count of telecommunications fraud, a fifth-degree felony, on Tuesday in Tuscarawas County Common Pleas Court, while G&R Tactical owner William Grant Timberlake pleaded guilty on Feb. 7 to a misdemeanor count of attempted telecommunications fraud.

The two were indicted in August 2023 following an investigation by the Auditor of State’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU), which received information about an officer using Bolivar’s tax-exempt status and law enforcement discounts to purchase ammunition.

SIU determined that, during the coronavirus pandemic, when the private sale of ammunition was scarce, Stearns falsified documents to order more than 60,000 rounds of ammunition, allegedly for use by the Bolivar Police Department. The ammunition, however, was picked up by Timberlake, and the Bolivar Police Department had no knowledge of the transactions and received no ammunition for use by its officers.

Timberlake is scheduled to be sentenced on March 26, and Stearns is scheduled to be sentenced on April 19.

Since 2019, the Special Investigations Unit has assisted in 117 convictions resulting in more than $8.2 million in restitution (see Map of SIU Convictions since January 2019). The team receives hundreds of tips of suspected fraud annually. Tips can be submitted anonymously online or via SIU’s fraud hotline at 866-FRAUD-OH (866-372-8364).

--
60000 rounds at $1/round, the 11% FET would be $6600

ETA

Their convictions are only about falsification of documents to obtain 60,000 rounds of ammunition, allegedly for use by the Bolivar PD, it has nothing to do with FET.

If the distributor is out $18000 FET spread out over 60,000 rounds, that's $0.30/round FET, which is 11% of $2.72, or $3.00/round retail.  That's some spendy ammunition.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:07:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

60000 rounds at $1/round, the 11% FET would be $6600
View Quote

I hope that they aren't paying that much at state bid price, even for HP duty ammo
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I finally unsubscribed to G&R marketing email, the "Other" reason I gave was the link in the OP
View Quote

Nice
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That guy was always a huge asshole
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#6]
tbh it would not have mattered if he got a felony charge he would have re done all the paper work for the buisness post jail in his wife's name if they aren't in her name.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:24:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Guy was a turd, Noticed it pretty quick and didn’t stick around that site to long.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:45:12 PM EDT
[#8]
what exactly is the crime here?  illegal to use police connections?    Just curious.   Cop didnt use public funds to buy the ammo and resell it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:01:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Seems like a bit much, but I don't have all the facts.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:10:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
what exactly is the crime here?  illegal to use police connections?    Just curious.   Cop didnt use public funds to buy the ammo and resell it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The officer pled guilty to 5th degree felony telecom fraud, Timberlake pled guilty to misdemeanor attempted telecom fraud, it's in the article copied in the 2nd post of page 3.  The fraud is they were claiming the ammo being ordered for a PD but in fact was not.

SIU determined that, during the coronavirus pandemic, when the private sale of ammunition was scarce, Stearns falsified documents to order more than 60,000 rounds of ammunition, allegedly for use by the Bolivar Police Department. The ammunition, however, was picked up by Timberlake, and the Bolivar Police Department had no knowledge of the transactions and received no ammunition for use by its officers.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:22:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I bought something from him once, an SB tatical brace it never came in a box. It was a brace just wrapped in bubble wrap.

He actually goes by William Timberlake on facebook hes in the groups there selling, every time I see him post I laugh.
View Quote

I bought a ton of stuff from his storefront in Strasburg over the years.

When the store first opened, they had Magpul stuff at more or less internet pricing. I got a lot of furniture and the majority of my 20 and 25 round AR10 mags there. Some pistol mags, too. They had some great sale prices on guns, although I never bought one from them.

As far as I know, I never dealt with him, just his employees, who were personable enough.

I also didn't put the store together with him owning it because it was named Ohio Armament. Hell, I had to confirm they were the same as G&R Tactical again when I saw this post.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I understand why we don't like him but agree that there's no crime here.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How is that a crime to get LE pricing?

I understand why we don't like him but agree that there's no crime here.  
edit misread OP, but

I'm assuming that it's probably fraud and criminal to misrepresent yourself as a law enforcement officer and operate in the capacity as a law enforcement department on paperwork when you are in fact not one.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I remember dealing with that dude like 20 years ago. Pretty sure I bought my first AR optic from him. I think it was an EOTech.

Think he was a kitchen table dealer back then and seemed like a solid dude.
View Quote
Same exact thing here, except it was an Aimpoint M3. He actually sent me the NV compatible model by mistake instead of the non NV model that I ordered. I told him about the mix-up and said he could charge me the difference. He promptly did (which is fine).

I think I also bought an LMT 16" M4 barrel from him not long after. Again this was all in the early to mid 2000s before he went off the deep end. Funny how it feels like most of the people on the other site seemed to come across as crotchety assholes. I never really felt welcome or comfortable posting there because I was afraid I would say the wrong thing and piss somebody off. The tech forums can be like that here sometimes, but it's not nearly as bad and I don't give a fuck about pissing somebody off for some trivial thing after being on here for 24 years.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Is this the same G&R that got called out for price fixing on this site?  IIRC, they were trying to force other dealers into joining them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#15]
He and his wife go on a lot of vacations, judging by FB.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is this the same G&R that got called out for price fixing on this site?  IIRC, they were trying to force other dealers into joining them.
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
He and his wife go on a lot of vacations, judging by FB.
View Quote

Sounds like he's going on a solo one for a while.

Seriously though, active time on a misdemeanor for someone who likely has little or zero criminal record is pretty rare. They must have cut him a good deal to drop a felony. Who knows what else was on the table.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#18]
So, if the Timberlakes no longer own M4Carbine.net, maybe that site will one day be worth a fuck.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:26:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I wonder if Shillman took his mug shot?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:44:34 PM EDT
[#23]
It happens. People try to buy LE ammo/guns to escape the fed excise tax. My old department got into this slightly. They fired 4 , rumor is a non officer got a gun but was never investigated.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fraud?

Theft by deception?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

But he was partnered with LE to purchase it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fraud.  Representative himself as LE.

But he was partnered with LE to purchase it

They weren’t buying it for an agency and said they were.

It was personal profit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So G&R Tactical is now OK to talk (post) about.
View Quote
Has been ever since certain folks got booted off M4C and started dishing out the dirt in an attempt to make people forget about their time over there on a bended knee.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:03:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Good. Fuck that guy.

Everything bad that comes his way is 100% his fault. The greedy fuck.

My only regret is that he didn’t get a harsher sentence.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:06:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I understand why we don’t like him but agree that there’s no crime here.
View Quote

Fraud is a crime, right?  Didn’t they conspire to defraud the distributor?  By buying under a bogus LEO discount?

Maybe it’s the conspiracy that’s the heavy part.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:11:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I wonder if Ohio armament will close?

Nice store but a little far away for me to stop in. They had a nice selection of parts for AR stuff.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Neither the PD or Grant would have been paying state sales tax. The PD does not because they are a government entity and Grant would not because he is buying it for resale and would charge sales tax when he sells it.

What he would avoid paying is the 11% excise tax that is added to the cost of ammo for sale to civilians. When a PD buys ammo for duty use they do not pay that. My guess is that is what he was avoiding.

What is so hard to understand about misrepresentation for the purposes of tax evasion???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

May have been state sales taxes that are not paid as well.

Neither the PD or Grant would have been paying state sales tax. The PD does not because they are a government entity and Grant would not because he is buying it for resale and would charge sales tax when he sells it.

What he would avoid paying is the 11% excise tax that is added to the cost of ammo for sale to civilians. When a PD buys ammo for duty use they do not pay that. My guess is that is what he was avoiding.

What is so hard to understand about misrepresentation for the purposes of tax evasion???

The 11% is a Federal tax, not state. He was charged in state court.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:30:29 PM EDT
[#32]
The cop got 5 years probation. It's the first article that popped up. I don't use AOL.

https://www.aol.com/former-police-officer-gets-five-180208210.html
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:26:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#35]
The cop  abused public trust, like the dozens of LAPD buying and reselling LEO guns , hence the harsher sentence, but still seems too harsh in the end. Grant was a good guy a few times i dealt with him back in the day. Clearly, they had a scheme and they paid dearly for it. 60 K rounds lol
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:36:17 AM EDT
[#36]
So if he gave the cop the money and the cop picked up the order would the bear be catholic?  Would the pope shit in the woods?  Frankly, the whole thing is stupid.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:38:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The cop  abused public trust, like the dozens of LAPD buying and reselling LEO guns , hence the harsher sentence, but still seems too harsh in the end. Grant was a good guy a few times i dealt with him back in the day. Clearly, they had a scheme and they paid dearly for it. 60 K rounds lol
View Quote

Lol.  The number of cops out there that buy shit with department letterhead is astounding.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#38]
I’d rather do 90 days than 5yrs of probation. Probation sucks and it’s easy to get violated.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Good. Fuck that guy.

Everything bad that comes his way is 100% his fault. The greedy fuck.

My only regret is that he didn’t get a harsher sentence.
View Quote

I wonder if Grant is related to Jonathan Arthur Ceiner??? lol.

Let’s see who remembers that name.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:47:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Huh

I remember reading about the indictments sometime last year
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:20:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So if he gave the cop the money and the cop picked up the order would the bear be catholic?  Would the pope shit in the woods?  Frankly, the whole thing is stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It would still be bad, but they probably wouldn't have gotten caught, or at least not from that incident.

Quoted:
I’d rather do 90 days than 5yrs of probation. Probation sucks and it’s easy to get violated.

Yeah, but the probation comes with a felony conviction. 90 days absolutely sucks but it won't derail his life. The cop is probably going to be mowing yards and doing trade work from here on out.

And "normal" people who get on probation rarely have trouble, as acting like a human being is enough to stay out of trouble. Unless you have one of those POs that shakes down people for money or whatever.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Was there more to what he did than expecting all other vendors to stick to MAP?  I get we all are supposed to hate MAP, but it is legal and is not considered price fixing.
View Quote

It was more than MAP.

It was him attempting to get other vendors to agree on a certain price for hard to get items.

His argument was (paraphrasing) “why should we vendors cut each other’s throats?”  He wanted to NOT be undercut on his pricing by competitors.

Which is pretty much the definition of price fixing.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

A few years  or so after his ban I made some post here about the price fixing when someone asked about him.

A few days later I got an email from him from at TOS asking if I was the same FredMan.

He obviously wanted to ban me but I ignored it and never went back to TOS
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:50:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Gaming FET and LEO discounts... Wow, that's like a SUPER infrequent thing... Right?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s fraud which is a criminal matter.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm surprised he got time. Otherwise law abiding business owner involved in tax shenanigans? That's usually probation
View Quote

He must of had terrible representation. I’m surprised as well.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Misdemeanor plea deal was a best option the way all that went down.
90 days might even be only 60 days if the County does the typical 2/3 with 1/3 good time earned.
2 months watching tv with your closest tweaker buds.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Looks like no one bothered reading or understanding the article link. Grant was convicted of a state telecom fraud 1st degree misdemeanor.

The fraud was representing the ammo was for PD sales not retail sales.

I asked if the feds could still go after him for not paying the 11% federal excise tax. I think it’s possible.
View Quote

Read the article link? Aint no one gots time for that.

Most don't even read the whole OP.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top