Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2024 8:27:22 PM EDT
Anything special I should know?

I read the manual (shocking, I know), so I know how the thing works and what time/temp to use and all that. But is it really that straightforward? Just drop the steak (already in a vacuum-sealed a bag) in, turn it on, put it on the correct setting, let it go...?

And I'll just use my Blackstone to get the outer "crust".
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:32:20 PM EDT
[#1]
That easy
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:34:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Report back. I'm very close to getting one of those circulators...

It's only poverty that's kept me from doing it already.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Make sure you get a good sear on it. Nice and crusty.

Don’t be a pussy with the heat when searing…. The internal will be very tender, but the sear brings the flavor.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gearjammer351:
Report back. I'm very close to getting one of those circulators...

It's only poverty that's kept me from doing it already.
View Quote

Poverty is not excuse, if you own a thermometer and a cooler you can try it out. Fill a large pot with water and get it close to boiling, use the hottest water from your sink to preheat the cooler. Dump the cooler out, and put about 1/4-1/2 of the amount of almost boiling water in water from your sink ( 1.5 gallons of boil, start with .5 gallon from the sink ). Pour in the very hot water and use a thermometer to get the temp of the cooler to 130-135 by adding more hot or cold to get it to temp.

Then drop your steak in in a zip lock with salt pepper and a little butter. Close the cooler up, and set a timer for 10 mins, while keeping the pot of water hot on your stove. After the 10 mins, open it up and give the water a stir and check the temp. Try to get the temp 128-130 with more hot water from the stove if needed. If you over shoot it too much just add some cold water. Once to the 128-130, close it up and set a 30 min timer, when the timer goes off again, just open, stir and adjust the temp. Do this for around 1.5 hours for a 1 inch thick steak, 2 hours total for a 1.5 inch steak.

Once you do the 1.5-2 hours take it out, pat it dry and sear. Boom you just tried sous vide with out spending any money

@gearjammer351
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:22:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I sous vide at around 129-131 for a couple of hours in vacuum wrap    just do this
https://sousvideguy.com/recipe/sous-vide-filet-mignon/
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:58:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I do mine in a big slow-cooker and a DarkFood DSV controller.  Put the slow-cooker on High, plug it into the controller, and it turns power on and off to keep temp within a degree or so.

It's not as fancy or fine as a true circulating sous vide system, but it works pretty well.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:11:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BloodRaven:

I read the manual (shocking, I know), so I know how the thing works and what time/temp to use and all that. But is it really that straightforward? Just drop the steak (already in a vacuum-sealed a bag) in, turn it on, put it on the correct setting, let it go...?

View Quote

Yes! @BloodRaven It’s really that easy!

I am doing some filet mignon and ribeyes today for Mother’s Day.

I am also going to do some swordfish and salmon.  I do have a dedicated container for it, but I have never used it and instead use a food-grade 5-gallon bucket.  It’s so useful for fish since you can’t easily overcook it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:13:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:29:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't boil a steak
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 1bamashooter:
Don't boil a steak
View Quote
Do you even know what the boiling point of water is?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:40:07 AM EDT
[#11]
From now on I will refer to it as “Gonig Steak”
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By StaccatoC2:

Poverty is not excuse, if you own a thermometer and a cooler you can try it out. Fill a large pot with water and get it close to boiling, use the hottest water from your sink to preheat the cooler. Dump the cooler out, and put about 1/4-1/2 of the amount of almost boiling water in water from your sink ( 1.5 gallons of boil, start with .5 gallon from the sink ). Pour in the very hot water and use a thermometer to get the temp of the cooler to 130-135 by adding more hot or cold to get it to temp.

Then drop your steak in in a zip lock with salt pepper and a little butter. Close the cooler up, and set a timer for 10 mins, while keeping the pot of water hot on your stove. After the 10 mins, open it up and give the water a stir and check the temp. Try to get the temp 128-130 with more hot water from the stove if needed. If you over shoot it too much just add some cold water. Once to the 128-130, close it up and set a 30 min timer, when the timer goes off again, just open, stir and adjust the temp. Do this for around 1.5 hours for a 1 inch thick steak, 2 hours total for a 1.5 inch steak.

Once you do the 1.5-2 hours take it out, pat it dry and sear. Boom you just tried sous vide with out spending any money

@gearjammer351
View Quote

Sous vides are cheap and ubiquitous. You can get one cheaper than reading this stupid instructional.

My anova finally died when the mount cracked and the whole thing into the water while I was away from it. Had been super happy with it given the years of flawless service (bought refurbished to begin with). I hear the new ones have more plastic parts that break more frequently (impeller) which is disappointing. I’ve got my eye on the Brevelle Polyscience. Bit overkill but I do use a sous vide in a Coleman cooler for doing summer sausage.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By MADMAXXX:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MADMAXXX:
Don't boil a steak

I think maybe he feels this is being edgy?  or he knows it will get replies from people.  Just ignorant people saying ignorant things.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I use mine a lot.  For steak I like 125* for about 24 hrs.  I usually add seasoning to the bag before sealing the steak in it.  Garlic and black pepper usually, sometimes a sprig of fresh rosemary.

Then onto the hottest grill you can muster for some char.

Another aspect to the sous vide is adding the seasoning when you bag for storage and freeze, (like after buying bulk at sams club).  Then at breakfast you can go from freezer to water bath direct and have it ready to grill for dinner.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:16:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wmagrush] [#15]
Biggest thing with sous vide is to take notes on temperature and time. This way subsequent meals can be fine tuned. I use a large stock pot wrapped in a towel, and setting on a towel, to help maintain the heat.

I don’t own a vacuum sealer. The method I use is to salt and season the steak or pork 12 or more hours ahead of time, place in a heavy ziplock freezer bag and lower it in a pot of water to push the air out. Seal the bag and refrigerate until an hour or two before placing in pot to cook.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:26:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Black88iroc] [#16]
Good idea on using the griddle but mine doesn't get hot enough to get a good sear and I hate smoking up the house.   I had a searzall from years ago that I never really liked.  Too slow and our kitchen was cramped to the point I tried to light the cabinets on fire several times.   Finishing the sear after the flip with the searzall makes for a perfect sear.   And no fire hazard.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:33:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Cooking in plastic
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:47:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shaneus] [#18]
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:
Cooking in plastic
View Quote

At 125* I'll take the risk.  That said, I don't microwave anything covered or bagged in plastic wrap anymore.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:52:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CenterMass762] [#19]
It's that easy. Make sure your Blackstone is HOT and the steak is patted dry with paper towels before you sear it. Sear every edge, top, bottom, and sides. Perfect steak every single time with these machines.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:58:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:00:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Black88iroc:
Good idea on using the griddle but mine doesn't get hot enough to get a good sear and I hate smoking up the house.   I had a searzall from years ago that I never really liked.  Too slow and our kitchen was cramped to the point I tried to light the cabinets on fire several times.   Finishing the sear after the flip with the searzall makes for a perfect sear.   And no fire hazard.
View Quote

@Black88iroc

Amazon. Under $30

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:01:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Just blot the steak dry before grilling. Wet steaks don't caramelize.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm on my second ANOVA. I use a big stainless stew pot. I use ziplock bags with the air pushed out and clipped to the side of the pot. I put marinade or Italian dressing in the bag.  I feel it makes cooking more convenient. As far as steak it does a good job but I don't think it's making a better steak. I feel like the difficult part is getting something hot enough for a good sear.
   I just did a couple of tri tips. 120degrees for five hours.  About an hour on the grill. Always turns out excellent. I really like how chicken turns out. My wife always overcooks chicken because she is afraid it's not done in the middle. With sv it would be safe to eat when it comes out of the water. I really like the chicken in Italian dressing then bread it and fry it just for the outer crust.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:21:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Im gonna do a tritip today.
128 for 2 hours before i smoke it
Seasoned it last night and sealed it up.

I havent done a tritip like this before but it should do well. Done plenty of other meat sous vida. If i sous vida before cooking i usually dont take it hot enough to go past med rare. Usually do this for steak, roasts,
I always smoke first sous vida second for ribs, brisket, and most things you think of as being bbq

The real benefit most folks dont talk about for sous vida is meal prep though. I seal up everything in a meal sized portion and then freeze. Then a few hours before dinner it goes in the sous vida. No clean up. So awesome
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Vacuum seal the steaks with some seasoning and a few pats of butter
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Don’t Sous vide at 129
Last night steak was subpar
I’d do my next one at 121
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:29:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By NY12ga:

@Black88iroc

Amazon. Under $30

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/120557/IMG_3620_jpeg-3212382.JPG
View Quote

It's good but lacks flavor. Someone should make a shallow charcoal grill that can be lit and brought to a high temp quickly, just to sear sous vide steaks.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Been doing it for years.
A real improvement, for me, was cooling the cooked steaks to room temp before drying and searing.
Preserves the internal doneness.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:32:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By TotalNovice:

It's good but lacks flavor. Someone should make a shallow charcoal grill that can be lit and brought to a high temp quickly, just to sear sous vide steaks.
View Quote

A charcoal chimney with a grate on top is great for this!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By badkarmaiii:
Been doing it for years.
A real improvement, for me, was cooling the cooked steaks to room temp before drying and searing.
View Quote

^^^

Definitely

Another cool thing about sous vide is if you’re cooking for a crowd you can sous vide everything in advance to everyone’s desired taste (medium rare, medium well etc) and prior to cooking place all the bags into the same 120 degree water prior to searing. No more fussing around, they all get the same sear
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:43:29 AM EDT
[#31]
I had problems with my vacuum seal coming apart. Make sure to double seal it
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:55:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By badkarmaiii:
Been doing it for years.
View Quote

Yeah, I usually use it as an opportunity to clean out my ice maker tray and drop the steaks in an ice water bath for a minute or two.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:14:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Try smoking the steaks @ 225 until an internal temp of 100. Should take about 30-45 mins depending on the size of the steaks.

Then finish in the sous vide to desired temp.

I use my Ooni pizza oven to sear my steaks.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:11:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Quintin:
Pat the steak dry before you sear
View Quote

Sous vide or not, this is the thing that a lot of people miss.    It is critical that the steak be dry for a good sear... otherwise you end up with steamed grey mixed with bitter burned spots that you see in so many steak pics here.

What works best for me is to pat dry, then salt and put the steaks on a cookie cooling rack in the fridge for 15 mins or so before searing.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Don't boil a steak
View Quote

Come on man, its the new hip way to cook.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:21:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BFskinner] [#36]
You didn't say what kind of steak or doneness.  I typically go between 45 min and an hour at 126 for boneless strips and ribeyes for medium rare.  You might add 20 min for bone-in.  I would drop it a degree for a filet and go for an hour since I like a filet closer on the rare side of medium rare.  One degree really matters with sous vide.  If you are a little overdone drop you temp a degree next time and you will be happier.  Likewise if it is underdone just go up by 1 degree unless it is really too rare for you.

There is no need to go longer than an hour with ribeyes, filets, strips or t-bones since  you are not trying to tenderize them.

Then pull, pat dry, season and sear.  I use a roaring hot skillet most of the time but I have used a chimney with charcoal and a torch.  All will work as long as it is hot, hot, hot.  You don't want to ruin the interior by cooking too long.  

Make sure you get a good sear on the fat on the edges.  Not a problem with a torch or chimney but I use tongs and roll them up on the edge to get it crispy when I use a skillet.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#37]
I generally will double seal just as an extra safety that the bag won't develop a leak. If you're using a bone in cut, cut a bit of extra bag and wrap the bone end up to ensure the bone won't perforate the bag. You can also place the steak in a bag without sealing and then place it in another bag. That uses a lot of excess bag though so I just like to wrap just the bone.

I like my steak medium rare but I cook to rare in sous vide and that is where I've been getting better results. I found that it took a couple of times of making mediocre steak to make great steak. As others have said... ensure the steak is dry before you try to sear. I generally season heavily before sous vide and will put a small amount of butter along with some thyme in the bag as well. Does it do anything... I don't think it does anything significant but the results have been great.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:32:40 PM EDT
[#38]
It’s that easy. But you must get a good, fast sear on it.

Get that griddle SCREAMING hot.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:46:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By BloodRaven:

View Quote

The most important thing to remember is that the thinner your steak, the hotter the sear apparatus needs to be. If it's one inch thick or less, you can only really get a rare steak with a temperature gradient. For thinner ones, I'll cook to 110 or so knowing it will warm up when it's seared.

The optimal case is a massive ribeye (like 2" thick) and an 800 degree or hotter grill. It will be about as even as can be throughout with a good sear. Just something to keep in mind.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Don't boil a steak
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top