Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Fuck 'em.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:14:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bgrhammer] [#2]
The Oscar's and frankly any award show hasn't been relevant in 30 years. It's a canned circle jerk, to stroke the elites ego and rub your nose in it. There is no mystery or surprise anymore,  and quite frankly,  I and most of the world doesn't care to sit around and watch you pat yourself on the back.

Just like beauty pagent's, once you remove the "thing" that people "tuned in" for, they ' tuned out".
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:17:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Would boycott, but how do you boycott something you're never watched anyway?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#4]
A group of people addicted to the unconditional love and adoration of people they despise
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:36:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bikedamon:
Ratings for a broadcast network show are down compared to 10 years ago???  Holy shit!
View Quote

Right! 10 years ago there were more people, more TV’s Amazon and Netflix didn’t exist
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:22:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Things were different way back when:

Rodney Dangerfield Steals the Show at the Oscars (1987)
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:58:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Covid stopped people from going to theaters.

Wokeness keeps them from coming back.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:22:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Never watched any of the award shows growing up so no reason to start as an adult. And don't watch many movies these days as less and less each year interest me. I can't remember the last time I sat in a theater.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:53:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By cih9330:
Actors are trained monkeys that are here to entertain me nothing more
View Quote
Yes and so are sports ball players.
IDGAF about what their opinion is on anything.
STFU and perform.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:55:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Maybe if Hollywood went back to entertaining people and stopped preaching to people the viewers would come back.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:04:19 AM EDT
[#11]
It would be great to say that Americans have lost their adoration of celebrities and dependence on them as role models and influencers, but in reality it has all just shifted to instagram and Tik Tok.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:17:09 AM EDT
[#12]
It’s not going anywhere.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:17:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By bgrhammer:
The Oscar's and frankly any award show hasn't been relevant in 30 years. It's a canned circle jerk, to stroke the elites ego and rub your nose in it. There is no mystery or surprise anymore,  and quite frankly,  I and most of the world doesn't care to sit around and watch you pat yourself on the back.

Just like beauty pagent's, once you remove the "thing" that people "tuned in" for, they ' tuned out".
View Quote

The first blow to awards show that I remember was the Pia Zadora win for Butterfly at the Golden Globes. She was in the movie for about 10 seconds and had 1 or 2 lines. Her husband was a billionaire who threw lavish parties for the GG voting committee. Apparently, even Denzel Washington knew it.
https://www.vox.com/2016/1/10/10747362/denzel-washington-golden-globes-corruption

I saw an interview with Mel Gibson. I don't remember which movie of his was being discussed. The interviewer asked him if he felt insulted because the Academy snubbed his movie. His reply was that he expected it, because he refused to pay for an award. He explained that it took roughly 4 million dollars to win best picture. Winners were expected to throw parties and buy gifts for those on the voting committee, even though that list is supposed to be secret.

The there was complaint about black actors and actresses being under represented in the awards. That next year Halle Berry and Denzel won the best actor and actress awards. Very strange coincidence, isn't it? Winning an Academy award increases that actor's paycheck dramatically for their next movie as they film can promote it having award winning actors/actresses in it.

It's a bit like the Miss America pageant. I heard an interview with one of the contestants the year Vanessa Williams won. She said they knew when the contestants arrived that a black woman would win that year, they just didn't know which one. She was asked if that upset her, and she said not really. The pageant was a business, not a real talent show and the business would what it felt necessary to keep viewers. I think the Oscars are similar, but they misread the public because they think too highly of themselves.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:56:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Mach:
Next there will be an article about how restaurants are hurting.
View Quote

I know they get very little from me and lately I even avoid the usual fast food chains.

When I'm traveling around and can't get home for lunch I just hit a convenience store these days.

Sheetz has some halfway decent chow for when I'm on the road.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:02:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

Yes, they did that, after complaints back around Saint Floyd that there weren't enough minorities being nominated.
View Quote

You missed one.

It supposed to be St. Floyd of Fentanyl.

(Just pointing out his proper place in hierarchy of patron saints.)
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:10:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By MADMAXXX:
STFU and perform.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MADMAXXX:
Originally Posted By cih9330:
Actors are trained monkeys that are here to entertain me nothing more
STFU and perform.

Pretty much the way I see it.

Every time some celebrity gets on the soap box my immediate mental response is "Shut up and dance, you monkey. Dance!"
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top