BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:55:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Every gen xer had some of their Dad's beers
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:55:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Miller High Life out of the small bottles. The adults would finish most of a bottle and move on to the next one, leaving a finger or so in the bottle and they didn’t care if us kids finished them off.

Watched the Ice Bowl that way when I was 6. I thought all football was supposed to be played with a foot of snow on the field.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:56:19 PM EDT
[#3]
According to this: https://www.parents.com/parenting/better-parenting/style/generation-names-and-years-a-cheat-sheet-for-parents/

I'm a Gen Y/Millennial, raised by the Silent Generation, with Boomer and Gen X siblings.

Regardless, there are tons of photos of me as a baby slamming a cold one. It may or may not have something to do with the fact that my brother was 19 and trying to score chicks when I was a cute little 2 year old.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:56:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FALARAK:
We called it "taxes".

When Dad sent us to the fridge to get him a beer, whatever we could drink on the walk back was fair game.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:59:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Didn't get my first swig until 7.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:00:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akcaribouhunter] [#6]
I was given sips of beer as a kid at family gatherings.

As a baby my parents dipped their finger in wiskey and rubbed it on my gums as a baby. Probably why I like it.

I let my three girls do the same thing.
Takes the mystery of alcohol away.
Eldest loves wiskey
Middle girl loved vodka mixes
Youngest loves wiskey and vodka mixes.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:00:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EdHaney1] [#7]
Had first one when I was about 4. Around 1969.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:01:00 PM EDT
[#8]
We called it "taxes".

When Dad sent us to the fridge to get him a beer, whatever we could drink on the walk back was fair game.
View Quote

Lucky! I got to drink the warm remnant of the one he was done with.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:05:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I didn't like beer much when I was 4.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:07:14 PM EDT
[#10]
My parents gave me a sip of Coors when I was less than 10. Hated it. Coffee too.

That changed.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:07:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I don’t remember having beer until I was 8 or 9.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:20:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Lawmonkey:
View Quote

I'd say!

My sister's had the job of opening my parents beer and then it was passed down to me.

My parents drank Black Label. Not really a great beer to drink but it was awesome to get a sip at the time.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:28:39 PM EDT
[#13]
coors with the push button tabs.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:38:32 PM EDT
[#14]
My father was a young soldier stationed in Germany, If he wanted to go out with his buddies my mom would make him take me. She would stay home with my sister. He would bring me home drunk and she would be pissed.I guess all his buddies would share with me . 😳
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:39:50 PM EDT
[#15]
More like expensive wine.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:43:00 PM EDT
[#16]
We called it "taxes".

View Quote
Lucky bastard. We got what was more like the "asses". Last few sips after being microwaved in my Dad's construction worker hands. Bleh!
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:48:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm late boomer, but my youngest siblings made the Gen X cut. We had German grandfather in Texas. He gave us beers to split if we asked for "sodie-waters"
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:51:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I was weaned on Colt 45s.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:51:50 PM EDT
[#19]
When it wasn't late and we would go over to my Grandma's place. My dad would have a beer or too. And if me and my little sister asked, he'd let us have a slip of it. And we were like 5 years old. Lol

And hey! I turned out alright! ...
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:57:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Imzadi:
Born in 1978. Went to kindergarten drunk off a single beer  I was such a lightweight.
View Quote

One of my younger brothers ran into the living room laughing. He was four at the time. He climbed up on the couch, ran from one end to the other, tripped off the end and face planted on the floor. He kept laughing.

Mom discovered he'd gotten in and downed about a half bottle of red wine she kept in the fridge for cooking.

I gave my grandson a taste of a beer last year. He made yucky face and spit it out.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:00:59 AM EDT
[#21]
I wasn't allowed the Scotch until I was about 10 or so
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:03:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By tveddy:
My almost 2 year old tasted my guiness a while back. Thought it would cure him of reaching for my beer. I had th rip it away from him as he was trying to chug as much as he could. Lil bugger lovedit. Now every time i have a beer in a bottle he looks at me and says "Mmmooooorrreeee"
View Quote

In my life's observations, wee ones like the taste of beer up to a certain age. I recall letting my two year old taste a beer. She loved it. Then again when she was like six. She hated the taste at that age. As a grown woman now, about the only thing i know she will drink is little wine on rare occasions.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:04:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Frank_B] [#23]
The thing in the '40s was to give the kids a little bit of vodka in warm milk to make them sleep. I think it's called a White Russian.
Paregoric was available in the '40s and worked even better. It contained opium.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:32:05 AM EDT
[#24]
I got into all sorts of stuff that I wasn’t supposed to, including beer. 🍻  Coors lite specifically.

I was probably 7 or 8.

My parent’s didn’t drink. But my grandmother would occasionally have several cans in her fridge. She made it clear that they were off limits and only for adults and that I wouldn’t like it.

When visiting I always stayed up late watching TV. One night I went to get some tea and noticed the silver cans with the cold snowy mountain. I’m thinking there is no way that i’m NOT going to like this stuff. The cans looked so awesome and refreshing!

I picked up a can, popped the lid and took a sip. I was so disappointed! I probably had an expression on my face as if I had just bite into a lemon.

That was the first and last time that I drank a Coors. We are talking like 1985 to 1987.

As an adult I do enjoy a good beer, like an Octoberfest or something craft. I like Bourbon. I’m 100% certain that Coors is NOT a beer that I will like.

But as I type this. I just may pick up one and enjoy it as a toast to my late Grandma. 👵

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:56:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Happy_Hour_Hero:

My friends mom left us single serve sunny d for after school.

We put her vodka in it
View Quote

Now that one actually made me laugh out loud. And user name checks out.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:10:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tc556guy] [#26]
None of you grew up in an alcohol-free home?
edit: the only alcohol in my parents home was an occasional bottle of wine they had for dinner
None of the people we usually associated with when I was a kid drank alcohol of any kind
I just considered it normal.
The responses here have managed to surprise me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:11:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:20:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:
None of you grew up in an alcohol-free home?
View Quote

Yup.  Never had any alcohol in the home growing up.  Not even for cooking.

With that being said, my Sister was a rebel and gave me my first beer when I was
10 or 11.  This was long before the craft beer industry, but I remember it being a
very dark beer, probably a Guinness or something.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:06:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By -Kyuss-:
I'm pretty sure that's my brother.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:35:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Starting around 8 my dad would leave me 1/4 of his beer to drink while I ran to get him another one.  Usually Old Style.  I started to get to have my own when I was about 13 but only one or two.  

My family are almost all social drunks but not alchoholics.  Never interfered with work or anything else and mostly exclusively on the weekends.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:42:53 AM EDT
[#31]
When I slept over at my grandparents, they would give me PBR if I cut their grass.  I think I was 9 or 10.  Good times.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:46:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mp40Gunner] [#32]
Millennial here, but I had beer as a kid. German immigrant grandparents, so Opa let me drink his beer all the time. My 2yo son loves beer. So much so that I actually have to make sure he doesn't drink the whole can!

6mo at Oktoberfest
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:50:48 AM EDT
[#33]
I remember my grandmother giving me a bottle of Rolling Rock when I was about 7  (1979). That is all I had until I was 15.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:58:00 AM EDT
[#34]
I was my Dad's beer gopher.

He used to complain about inflation, "Even the Beer cans aren't full anymore."
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:59:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Had to put down my cap gun to hold the mug.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:00:55 AM EDT
[#36]
there are a few pics of me floating around as a wee lad with a beer in my hand. My grandfather was a solid drinker in his day. I'm pretty sure he let me have a sip more than a few times when i went to his house
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:12:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Is this seriousley frowned on now in snowflake world?

I thought literally what the "Nip" or Pony was for.. Fun trivia, "Nip" is an actual legitimate term from an old Dutch and Old German word: "small measure of strong spirits," 1796, slang shortening of nipperkin (1670s) "quantity of beer or liquor of a half pint or less," possibly of Dutch or Low German origin (compare German Nipp "sip, taste") and related to nip (v.). Reinforced by nip (n.2) in its secondary sense of "fragment or bit pinched off" (c. 1600).

I mean growing up in my Dad's Body Shop, him ,my uncles, his guys, whatever.... there was always a sixer of nips in the 1952 kelvinator fridge in the back room

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:12:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Yep. Usually PBR or a Shaffers. I drank it while shifting the three-on-the-tree.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:22:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:23:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Mp40Gunner:
Millennial here, but I had beer as a kid. German immigrant grandparents, so Opa let me drink his beer all the time. My 2yo son loves beer. So much so that I actually have to make sure he doesn't drink the whole can!

6mo at Oktoberfest
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404773/A7D9F236-4F66-4875-8903-03F06EB17C28_jpe-3209424.JPG
View Quote

Drink to the front and drinks to the back
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:23:36 AM EDT
[#41]
I apparently preferred Heineken over formula
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:28:03 AM EDT
[#42]
I think just staged photos as a toddler and not a full beer till 10ish?

Whatever was cheapest. I remember seeing a lot of Milwakees Best cans.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#43]
We called it "taxes".

View Quote
Yup.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:38:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By MedmanKS:
lol. My Mom treated teething pain with Scotch…
Also had wine at Holiday dinners.

By 16 Dad was making me give him money so he could buy me my own twelver… he was sick of me drinking his. 😭
View Quote

Same here, and not one alcoholic in the family. When friends first got exposed to alcohol in school they went nuts and had some problems.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:41:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Flysc:

In my life's observations, wee ones like the taste of beer up to a certain age. I recall letting my two year old taste a beer. She loved it. Then again when she was like six. She hated the taste at that age. As a grown woman now, about the only thing i know she will drink is little wine on rare occasions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Flysc:
Originally Posted By tveddy:
My almost 2 year old tasted my guiness a while back. Thought it would cure him of reaching for my beer. I had th rip it away from him as he was trying to chug as much as he could. Lil bugger lovedit. Now every time i have a beer in a bottle he looks at me and says "Mmmooooorrreeee"

Hmm we shall see. The above tactic worked with my daughter. She hated the taste of beer.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:48:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Lawmonkey:
View Quote

Affirmative.

My step father always had Miller or some sort of mass produced beer in a small fridge in the house. He would ask me or my sister to get him a beer, open it and let us have a taste. I also had tastes of my mom’s wine too.

She also poured me thinned down glasses of wine around age 11 with a few meals. She wanted me to be exposed to booze so I understood what it was. Oddly, I am not a raging alcoholic despite being a Professional Chef. I think the early exposure made me think it was no big deal.

If I had kids, I would have done the same. It would be a lesson in respect for booze and not being “forbidden fruit”.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:51:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DDalton] [#48]
I had a few sips according to pictures. Pretty sure it was Genny.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:51:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Yeah I was probably 4 or 5. Busch light was good if anyone wasn't watching on the boat. I stopped when it was dad's ash tray mixed with hot sun baked busch light, that was nasty. Also, at 4 or 5 I started the van and backed it down the driveway and into the street. Just wanted to go for a drive.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#50]
far back as i can remember is being 4 or 5 on the golf course with my dad and telling him i was thirsty.  they didn't have any water...
Page / 3
Top Top