Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 348
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:03:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Spent a bunch of time in a plow truck to cover for someone else this week.  Was looking forward to the overtime.  Got paid and it was all straight time.  After taxes worked out to a whopping 4 bucks an hour of push time.  Told the owner I was never pushing for him again and he didn't seem to care.  I'd taken my resume down, guess I'll put it back up and grease the toolbox wheels.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EFB16ACRX:
Spent a bunch of time in a plow truck to cover for someone else this week.  Was looking forward to the overtime.  Got paid and it was all straight time.  After taxes worked out to a whopping 4 bucks an hour of push time.  Told the owner I was never pushing for him again and he didn't seem to care.  I'd taken my resume down, guess I'll put it back up and grease the toolbox wheels.
View Quote
He's too stupid to see a problem
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By jeep450:

He's too stupid to see a problem
View Quote
He knows exactly what he's doing, but as long as he has people willing to take it, and he does, why should he do anything different?  As much as it pisses me off, he is making the right decision from a money standpoint.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 1:44:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#4]
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:01:20 PM EDT
[#5]
signing up for ASE testing sure has changed alot hasn't
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been doing the Pacific institute "investment in excellence" program again.  I did it eight years ago.  It changed my life. It's a company wide thing.  Turns out humble mechanic was there.  He seems to have quite a following on YouTube.  I hadn't watched any of his stuff, but I was aware of his existence.  I did not know that he was employed by our company. I am curious how VW feels about him offering training manual copies on his website.  I wonder if the company even knows that he does this.   Anyhow, I didn't have the opportunity to speak with him directly.  I was happy to know our owner knows me, and seems to think highly of me.  She is incredibly nice but very busy and hasn't been to our dealership in fifteen years that I'm aware of.  I've seen her a handful of times other places, she has always at least acknowledged me even if she was too occupied to speak with me.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:40:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I think they made him stop filming at the dealership.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Tell us about the program.

Yes I know I could google it but it wouldn't tell us anything from the viewpoint of who done it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:25:28 AM EDT
[#9]
It teaches you about how your mind works, and how you end up at your place in life.  Your subconscious is interprets everything you say literally.  This is why you must filter your thoughts and be a gatekeeper to what you allow in to your thoughts and accept as fact.  

Use positive self talk.  Council yourself.  Coach yourself and others correctly.  Don't focus on the error, focus on the positive outcome.  

If you visualize yourself in a certain way, that is what you become.  It works however you want it to.  "Bob is not a morning person".  Well Bob hears his mom tell someone else this.  Bob sees mom as a person of authority who's statements have merit.  Bob lives as if he is not a morning person.  He was told this, and becomes this way.  When he has a rough morning, well that's ok because that is his normal.  

If Bob wants to repair the damage, he can use affirmations, visualization and self coaching to become a rested person who begins his day at six AM eager to begin work.

That sort of thing.  I'm there for a touch up.  I'm realizing that I'm doing a lot of things correctly.  I want to do more...  I want to elevate my lifestyle again.  So it's time to revisit this.  It's very important to our company, they let you bring your spouse and even do one for kids.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:52:13 AM EDT
[#10]
that sounds pretty cool
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:12:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:

Except pretty soon theres gonna be noone left to take it.

Pretty soon here. We're gonna have these fuckers by the balls and be able to ask whatever we want for our skills. It's going to be fucking awesome. There is no new talent coming in, shit gets more complicated by the month. And thats why you see habitual drunks and drug addicts hopping from shop to shop to shop and the fucked up shit is they get a raise each time because service managers are trying to mooch talent from wherever possible. Loyalty is discouraged, not rewarded.

You see all these shops with empty stalls because service managers hold out for that "qualified" candidate. They won't hire from within or do on the job training to bring a motivated candidate up to speed, partially because they are in a bind because manufacturers wont let them bill warranty, but also majorly their own doing. So you end up getting these washouts that are absolute fucking trainwrecks, sure they have certs, but that work a couple months and move on when they get fired. Rinse/repeat.
View Quote
I spend about 2k a year on me and another 2k on my tech for training.  When a class is here in town (World Pac training, and not enough of it quite honestly) I send her and myself to it.  

I just signed up for her to go to the World Pac Training Expo.  It costs me 2500.  Per person.  I may go, havent decided.  Last time I was underwhelmed by the classes.  It seems I may have educated myself beyond what they teach.  Or they need to have testing required to get into certain levels of classes, because damn the questions I hear make my damn head hurt.

How would you use brake clean to find a vacuum leak?

Get a smoke machine.

But I don't have one, how would I use brake clean?

Dude you spent 2500 for school and you wont spend 800 bucks on a smoke machine?  Fuck you and your shop.

If I go to the expo this year I am making a shirt for my shop.  

"We are so nice, we do it twice!"
Bavarian Motors, LLC
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Can anyone spot the $25k screw up?Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#13]
There was a small fire.

Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:47:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By newguy2k3:
Can anyone spot the $25k screw up?https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/34327/image-172838.JPG
View Quote
Someone drilled through the beam of a rollover protection system that has a label that says do not drill or weld on this because it is a critical safety component and osha doesn't like finding dead operators due to failed safety equipment because of unapproved modifications?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
There was a small fire.

http://i.imgur.com/uDUqU65.jpg
View Quote
My old boss was rebuilding a carburator for his buddy.  But the car was in his buddies garage while this was going on.  His buddies son came home and tried to move the car so he could get to some yard equipment.  Fired up the car with no carburator.  And damed if it didn't start.  The fuel line sprayed full fuel into the intake, then the engine caught fire, melted the starter cable and kept the engine cranking and the fuel flowing.  So the kid spayed the engine (still turning over) with a fire extinguisher.  

It was ugly.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:56:56 PM EDT
[#16]
We worked on an SLK.  It has an optional glass panel in its convertible top roof.  Detail gets it and the glass panel is broken. It's sixteen thousand dollars.  For the whole roof?  No.  For the glass.  The roof is thirty thousand dollars.  For an SLK.  A 2014 slk worth maybe thirty five or so thousand dollars.  

What.

The.

Fuck.

There has got to be a way to make a tempered glass panel cheaper than that.  That's just stupid.  It's fucking stupid.  It isn't even fair.  Like some dummy punched in an extra zero, and the mistake hasn't been fixed.  There is just no reason for a glass panel to cost that much.  It isn't for the space shuttle.  It's for a small roadster.  I'd unbolt the whole Damn roof and Chuck it in the dumpster before I paid that much for a piece of glass.  I'd rock a custom soft top.  I'd replace the glass with a steel panel from a car that didn't have the option.  It just doesn't make sense at that price.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I worked for an aerospace company that sold various actuators to the oem at prices that were often near, at, or under cost.
Airlines were charged very dearly for spares or replacements.

What does a replacement window cost if purchased from the local glass shop?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:40:35 PM EDT
[#18]
My dad has made custom soft tops. I'm sure he would do it for 8k.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:35:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By saturnstyl:
We worked on an SLK.  It has an optional glass panel in its convertible top roof.  Detail gets it and the glass panel is broken. It's sixteen thousand dollars.  For the whole roof?  No.  For the glass.  The roof is thirty thousand dollars.  For an SLK.  A 2014 slk worth maybe thirty five or so thousand dollars.  

What.

The.

Fuck.

There has got to be a way to make a tempered glass panel cheaper than that.  That's just stupid.  It's fucking stupid.  It isn't even fair.  Like some dummy punched in an extra zero, and the mistake hasn't been fixed.  There is just no reason for a glass panel to cost that much.  It isn't for the space shuttle.  It's for a small roadster.  I'd unbolt the whole Damn roof and Chuck it in the dumpster before I paid that much for a piece of glass.  I'd rock a custom soft top.  I'd replace the glass with a steel panel from a car that didn't have the option.  It just doesn't make sense at that price.
View Quote
This?
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&campId=5337559805&toolId=10001&customId=j0plax4rzk00zk8a00004&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F151987887286:g:iJcAAOSwzgRWxgaH&vxp=mtr
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#21]
When you find your fluke 88 you thought the power company worker stole after using it to diag no power at your house

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:01:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ME2112] [#22]
Originally Posted By jchewie1:
I worked for an aerospace company that sold various actuators to the oem at prices that were often near, at, or under cost.
Airlines were charged very dearly for spares or replacements.

What does a replacement window cost if purchased from the local glass shop?
View Quote
Late 80s Stewart & Stevenson aircraft tow tractor, 8 wheel cylinders at ~$800ish apiece. Relined brake shoes, $6500ish. Ours has some leaking cylinders, but because of the cost I was told to just put it back together and park it (years ago.) A few years go by and "bring pushback 1 in and go over it."
"You know the brakes were leaking before, right?"
"Yeah, see which ones are leaking."
Now jacking this heavy SOB up by hand, pulling the wheels, draining and pulling the planetaries, and pulling the hubs is about a 6 hour job. Boss man asks which ones are leaking.
"I don't know."
"Why not? Did you pull the boots back and check?"
"Yes, they're all dry, the brake fluid must have soaked into them over the last 3 years."
"Are you sure they were leaking?"
So I get told to hone all of them and put them back in. My idea was to clean up the pistons (no rebuild kits available), take everything to a local machine shop, and have the cylinders bored out & fitted with sleeves made for each cylinder's piston diameter. It'll cost a hell of a lot less than $800 each. Nope, hone' em and put it back together. So 16 hours or so of work and we still have leaky brakes on a 30K pound machine that moves multimillion dollar aircraft around. That's the aviation GSE world for you LOL.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:08:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ME2112] [#23]
1998 Navistar 4900 fuel truck w/DT466. Dash hourmeter is stuck at 50900 hours, aftermarket meter has almost 4K on it.

Why the hell can I not post a YouTube video here?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ME2112:

Late 80s Stewart & Stevenson aircraft tow tractor, 8 wheel cylinders at ~$800ish apiece. Relined brake shoes, $6500ish. Ours has some leaking cylinders, but because of the cost I was told to just put it back together and park it (years ago.) A few years go by and "bring pushback 1 in and go over it."
"You know the brakes were leaking before, right?"
"Yeah, see which ones are leaking."
Now jacking this heavy SOB up by hand, pulling the wheels, draining and pulling the planetaries, and pulling the hubs is about a 6 hour job. Boss man asks which ones are leaking.
"I don't know."
"Why not? Did you pull the boots back and check?"
"Yes, they're all dry, the brake fluid must have soaked into them over the last 3 years."
"Are you sure they were leaking?"
So I get told to hone all of them and put them back in. My idea was to clean up the pistons (no rebuild kits available), take them all to a local machine shop, and have them bored out & fitted with sleeves made for each cylinder's piston diameter. It'll cost a hell of a lot less than $800 each. Nope, hone' em and put it back together. So 16 hours or so of work and we still have leaky brakes on a 30K pound machine that moves multimillion dollar aircraft around. That's the aviation GSE world for you LOL.
View Quote
Jesus, you guys sound just as bad as us.  Except we wouldn't have moved it to try fixing it again after parking it.  We have no less than 3 peterbilts that have been sitting for more than 3 years, and no intention of doing anything now since we're spinning back up.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:31:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ME2112:
1998 Navistar 4900 fuel truck w/DT466. Dash hourmeter is stuck at 50900 hours, aftermarket meter has almost 4K on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOLqObCLBGo

Why the hell can I not post a YouTube video here?
View Quote
Have to have a team membership I think.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:52:53 PM EDT
[#26]
I keep bending axle shafts (90mm dogbones) in my son's remote control truck.  In spite of my efforts to correct this issue, it still does it.  I've replaced the plastic chassis and suspension pieces with aluminum.  I've limited the suspension travel so that the axles cannot bind up and bend, nor can they fall out at full steering lock with the suspension at full droop.  It bent three of them last time I ran it.  It's been apart for a while waiting on new parts to arrive from China.  I softened the suspension up a little, and reworked some things so it should have a bit more grip and steering.  

I've been thinking about trying my hand at metallurgy.  It seems that nobody makes a better dogbone.  There are some with cv or universal joints on one end, but it would appear to reduce suspension travel by 50% and the Amazon reviews are horrible, stating that they broke almost instantly.  I'm not against trying them, but am unwilling to throw thirty bucks at it just yet.  I'd like to try to harden a set of dogbones.  I have an inductive heater.  I can quench in oil.  It should make them more resistant to bending but more brittle.  I could also heat them a second time and allow them to cool slowly to make them a bit less brittle.  Anybody know more about this than my over simplified version?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:16:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I keep bending axle shafts (90mm dogbones) in my son's remote control truck.  In spite of my efforts to correct this issue, it still does it.  I've replaced the plastic chassis and suspension pieces with aluminum.  I've limited the suspension travel so that the axles cannot bind up and bend, nor can they fall out at full steering lock with the suspension at full droop.  It bent three of them last time I ran it.  It's been apart for a while waiting on new parts to arrive from China.  I softened the suspension up a little, and reworked some things so it should have a bit more grip and steering.  

I've been thinking about trying my hand at metallurgy.  It seems that nobody makes a better dogbone.  There are some with cv or universal joints on one end, but it would appear to reduce suspension travel by 50% and the Amazon reviews are horrible, stating that they broke almost instantly.  I'm not against trying them, but am unwilling to throw thirty bucks at it just yet.  I'd like to try to harden a set of dogbones.  I have an inductive heater.  I can quench in oil.  It should make them more resistant to bending but more brittle.  I could also heat them a second time and allow them to cool slowly to make them a bit less brittle.  Anybody know more about this than my over simplified version?
View Quote
If it isn't high carbon (1% ish) steel, you won't be able to harden them like that.  Also, for tempering, you don't heat them up nearly as hot and you still cool then quickly.  This would be for a normal martensitic heat treatment.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:20:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Fail.  I suppose that I need to find a machinist and I can get some made out of stronger alloy.  It's not that what they use isn't strong, I just need moar!
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By newguy2k3:
Can anyone spot the $25k screw up?https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/34327/image-172838.JPG
View Quote
Holes drilled in EROPS.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:39:33 PM EDT
[#30]
With all the other stuff you have done is it impact and binding causing them to bend or could it be torque? Not being able to see exactly what your working with idk.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:00:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Problem is, I don't understand it either.  I was quite careful to make sure that the axles cannot bind up under suspension compresion so I'm thinking it's torque.  It has sheared off a stub axle due to torque.  The dogbones are strong enough that you cannot bend them by hand, so it's serious power to bend them.  The aluminum suspension parts are not bending or breaking.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Shock load I'm betting. Are your tires glued to the rims? Got a set that isn't you can try out?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:44:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeep450] [#33]
Anybody want a brand new cordless ingersoll Rand 1/2" impact, 1 big battery and charger for $300 shipped? 7150 is the model number. Found it behind some stuff. Box looks like hell but it's new otherwise.

Link
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Shock load I'm betting. Are your tires glued to the rims? Got a set that isn't you can try out?
View Quote
Reasonable thought.  The suspension has been softened up more (but not as much as when we first got it) so perhaps the additional traction will help.  Going stiff made it difficult to steer and a handful at high speed.  Perhaps it is losing grip and the tire then grabs and bends the axle.  I'll see whenever the next set arrives from China.  I've had one on the way from Amazon for weeks, and five more sets coming from eBay.  

I meant to take photos but left all of the bent axles at work again.  

I've been extremely busy.  Stupid wiring diagrams with incorrect information, misdiagnosed stuff, and various other stuff.  

I love it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:15:44 PM EDT
[#35]
ASE master again.  I like how they give you the results when you leave.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 6:42:43 PM EDT
[#36]
ASE master again.  I like how they give you the results when you leave.
View Quote
I haven't renewed since I first got all 8 plus L1.  About 15 years since I took those tests.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 9:35:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeep450] [#37]
I'm building a diagnostic cart. 32" vizio. Got to make the mounting brackets. Should be pretty sweet when I get done with it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:54:05 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm building a diagnostic cart. 32" vizio. Got to make the mounting brackets. Should be pretty sweet when I get done with it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/99144/IMG-5938-178311.JPG
View Quote
Do you mait the monitor to a pc so you can pull diag info?
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By tmleadr03:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tmleadr03:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/99144/IMG-5938-178311.JPG
Yep. Microsoft surface pro running the GM diag software. I have a launch scan tool I'm going to link also. Should be pretty nice and large enough to see it from anywhere in the work bay.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#40]
2010 Z71 with 90k on it. Local hack chain estimate.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:20:33 AM EDT
[#41]
They charge $280 for a filter, then more for a flush?

Something caught my eye and I can't let go of it.

2014 Sierra crew cab slt z71.  35k miles.  There are no photos online yet, and I haven't been able to get anything more than a casual look from the outside because bmw has it, and they were closed when I wanted to look at it.  

It's not an all terrain.  It's not a Denali.  It has painted bumpers.  This isn't possible in a theoretical sense.  It has a chrome grille like normal, not the Denali style.  It doesn't have all terrain badges, it has z71 badges on the hood.  I've never seen anything like it.  I assume that it was a happy little accident somewhere in Mexico.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 11:01:06 PM EDT
[#42]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/99144/IMG-5970-179289.JPG
View Quote
Alignment looks fair for around here.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 3:55:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Replaced the spark plugs in my RamCharger Sunday night.

All of them were worn so far they gapped out at .050+ and several were over .063 as pictured. The one pictured was actually at like .078.

Seems like it runs a little better now, but, meh. Time will tell. I've still gotta replace the ignition rotor. Plug wires are a year old, cap is like 9 months old, coil is about a year old.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 7:28:55 PM EDT
[#45]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/99144/IMG-5970-179289.JPG
View Quote
We need to charge more.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
We need to charge more.
View Quote
Every time I see how much some one else charges I think this.  And I wonder how they get away with it when I get "wow, that much?" at my prices.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:44:20 PM EDT
[#47]
seems to have a lot to do with the market in that geographic location.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 6:46:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeep450] [#48]
It's a local tire store chain. They mainly have rejects for mechanics. You know the guys, felons, guys that can't pass drug test, real winners. They are so bad, not a single tool truck stops at these places.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:34:38 PM EDT
[#49]
seems to have a lot to do with the market in that geographic location.
View Quote
I had a national chain quote me over $500 for an idler arm and bracket for a K1500.  Part price, not installed.  Was in for alignment.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:10:34 AM EDT
[#50]
It's a local tire store chain. They mainly have rejects for mechanics. You know the guys, felons, guys that can't pass drug test, real winners. They are so bad, not a single tool truck stops at these places.
View Quote
Harbor freight ftw.  They helped put Sears under.  Why buy high priced craftsman junk when I have this here coupon?
Page / 348
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top