Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:58:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
Strawberries-insanely good.
Bananas-very intense banana flavor
Blueberries-more mild of a flavor than fresh, but I've never liked store bought blueberries a ton.

Up next is more strawberries, cheese, and eggs, probably get them in tomorrow night.
View Quote

they say that with strawberries the seeds take twice as long to dry as the fruit so if you're going to pack any away for long term i'd let them dry a very long time past when the machine says they're ready
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:40:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I really like the shredded cheese.  We keep it in a mason jar on the counter.  Very good to put on chilli.

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#3]
The ice cream slices are AMAAAAAZING!!!

I could trade a pouch of these for cash, grass, or ass in the upcoming clownpocalypse.

The sandwiches didn't work well. They kind of exploded and left nothing in between the wafers. It was a local brand.
View Quote

They melted before they froze-gotta keep them in the freezer on the tray while the machine cools down.

They do have a slightly different flavor when they do this-like a malted milk ball, I kinda like it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By konger:
Damn, I just looked up the price of the unit in the OP…$2,800!!!

I kind of want one, but that seems pricey for what you’re getting. Why is this more expensive than say a microwave or a dishwasher? Is there a Harbor Freight or Ali Express equivalent available?
View Quote

There are two brands in the market. Both are expensive.

What you are getting is a way to store food that will be good for the rest of your life and does not need refrigeration or any special storage. No other food storage but some basic grains can do this.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 3:20:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Strawberries-insanely good.
Bananas-very intense banana flavor
Blueberries-more mild of a flavor than fresh, but I've never liked store bought blueberries a ton.

Up next is more strawberries, cheese, and eggs, probably get them in tomorrow night.
View Quote

Just maybe don’t bother eating a FD pickle slice by itself dry…. Fucking Nasty.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TexRdnec:

they say that with strawberries the seeds take twice as long to dry as the fruit so if you're going to pack any away for long term i'd let them dry a very long time past when the machine says they're ready
View Quote
I set the default to 24 hrs extra dry time on your suggestion. Due to work commitments, it dried for 23 hours past the normal machine sensor.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Extra sharp white cheddar turned out fantastic. Not as cratered as the store bought Moon Cheese, but very dry, almost like a hard cheese puff.

That's a ton of calories in a very small package.

I need to get better at not overfilling the bags. My gusseted bags get here next week.

Highly recommend the variety pack of bag sizes. One 2lb block of cheese, cubed barely fit into 3 pint bags. I should have spread it to 4.

Four pounds of strawberries fit into a gallon bag.

One tray of frozen mixed Normandy vegetables fit into a quart bag.

I'm going to try to find a metal container or something that I can pack this all into, to protect it from rodents that can gnaw through plastic.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 3:54:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TexRdnec] [#8]
it really starts to pile up fast and storage becomes an important consideration

i've got 90 eggs going right now, 18 per tray.  trays weren't full but it was an easily manageable amount
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 4:01:47 PM EDT
[#9]
it really starts to pile up fast and storage because an important consideration

i've got 90 eggs going right now, 18 per tray.  trays weren't full but it was an easily manageable amount
View Quote
Up next is a pork loin and (probably) eggs.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 4:31:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Amazon Product
  • Genuine Robinair Premium High Vacuum Pump Oil is engineered to maintain viscosity at higher running temperatures

Good deal?
$107 for 4 gallons.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#11]
@WhiskersTheCat

Stop being gay and get one. This is great. I shall eat like a king in the upcoming clownpocalypse.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:02:24 PM EDT
[#12]
@WhiskersTheCat

Stop being gay and get one. This is great. I shall eat like a king in the upcoming clownpocalypse.
View Quote

They're so expensive and I'm concerned I would just do it once and forget about it.

I'm making jerky right now. I mean I held off on a dehydrator but at least I'm using it. A freeze dryer sounds tits but I'm worried I won't use it. And that's a lot of ammo or Jerry cans or beer
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

They're so expensive and I'm concerned I would just do it once and forget about it.

I'm making jerky right now. I mean I held off on a dehydrator but at least I'm using it. A freeze dryer sounds tits but I'm worried I won't use it. And that's a lot of ammo or Jerry cans or beer
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
@WhiskersTheCat

I bought a dehydrator from a deal posted in team years ago. Never used it, looked into what it could do and just honestly didn’t care much so it just sat.

Gave it away. Freeze dryer does so much shit better that it’s comical
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#14]
www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q5RQZG

Good deal?
$107 for 4 gallons.
View Quote

Yes, $6.50 a quart......I bought those 1gal bottles a few years ago it was a bit cheaper then, but still better than buying by the quart.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:53:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JAG2955] [#15]

I bought a dehydrator from a deal posted in team years ago. Never used it, looked into what it could do and just honestly didn't care much so it just sat.

Gave it away. Freeze dryer does so much shit better that it's comical
View Quote
Yeah, I have a really nice Excalibur. Might keep it just to make jerky, but I could see it leaving.

Just dug through the freezers and put in all the random non-steamer bags of veggies into it. I need a clear freezer shelf to stack trays.

We buy beef by the half cow, so there is a shit ton of ground beef, which we don't use as much. I need to get to canning it again.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:11:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Just bought the 4 gallons of oil from Amazon - about as good a deal as I have seen.
Just finished my first batch of eggs, went just fine - 6 dozen on 4 trays.
Have done a little bit of everything in the year since I purchased, I think for meals I like spaghetti best, easy to FD and very easy to rehydrate.
Looking forward to doing steaks and chicken soon and vegetables once the garden gets going.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:19:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, I have a really nice Excalibur. Might keep it just to make jerky, but I could see it leaving.

Just dug through the freezers and put in all the random non-steamer bags of veggies into it. I need a clear freezer shelf to stack trays.

We buy beef by the half cow, so there is a shit ton of ground beef, which we don't use as much. I need to get to canning it again.
View Quote

You just reminded me I need to clear freezer space as well. Wife ordered 6 more trays that should be here any day now. Thanks for that. Will keep me out of trouble.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Has anyone tried making freeze dried dog food?

My dogs love the freeze dried chicken breast treats, and the freeze dried shredded chicken breast food topper.

And we currently spend about $100 a month on the following freeze dried foods and treats, for 3 dogs
chicken breast treats
shredded chicken breast food topper
freeze dried chicken hearts
freeze dried bison hearts
freeze dried beef hearts

Tractor Supply is currently offering 0% financing for 48 months.

Really trying to decide if I should pull the trigger
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By gre24ene:

My dogs love the freeze dried chicken breast treats, and the freeze dried shredded chicken breast food topper.

And we currently spend about $100 a month on the following freeze dried foods and treats, for 3 dogs
chicken breast treats
freeze dried beef hearts

View Quote

i haven't but it's all over the facebook groups
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:26:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Extra sharp white cheddar turned out fantastic. Not as cratered as the store bought Moon Cheese, but very dry, almost like a hard cheese puff.

That's a ton of calories in a very small package.

I need to get better at not overfilling the bags. My gusseted bags get here next week.

Highly recommend the variety pack of bag sizes. One 2lb block of cheese, cubed barely fit into 3 pint bags. I should have spread it to 4.

Four pounds of strawberries fit into a gallon bag.

One tray of frozen mixed Normandy vegetables fit into a quart bag.

I'm going to try to find a metal container or something that I can pack this all into, to protect it from rodents that can gnaw through plastic.
View Quote

Don’t store this in regular plastic bags- try are neither airtight or a 100% moisture barrier. You want heat sealed Mylar bags.

No issues with Rubbermaid boxes and rodents FWIW.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Sounds like you wouldn’t be eating ramen noodles next month if you bought it-it’s a hell of a lot better investment than gun or Trijicon (lol) products.

Having cool gear is nice but what feels even better is knowing that the economy could crater tomorrow and you’d eat every day for the next several years even if you can’t find a job…

Just do it. You can always sell if if you don’t decide to stick with it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By gre24ene:

chicken breast treats
freeze dried beef hearts

View Quote

Those would all be good snacks for me, too, but I'd have to cook everything first.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:58:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:

Sounds like you wouldn’t be eating ramen noodles next month if you bought it-it’s a hell of a lot better investment than gun or Trijicon (lol) products.

Having cool gear is nice but what feels even better is knowing that the economy could crater tomorrow and you’d eat every day for the next several years even if you can’t find a job…

View All Quotes

I'll think about it. I have a metric fuck ton of mountain house but it would be very cool to store my own cooking. It does look pretty rewarding
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:

Those would all be good snacks for me, too, but I'd have to cook everything first.
View Quote

I'm assuming all the treats are pre-cooked prior to freeze drying.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Don't store this in regular plastic bags- try are neither airtight or a 100% moisture barrier. You want heat sealed Mylar bags.

No issues with Rubbermaid boxes and rodents FWIW.
View Quote
That's what they're in. All Mylar.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:01:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheOtherDave] [#26]

I'll think about it. I have a metric fuck ton of mountain house but it would be very cool to store my own cooking. It does look pretty rewarding
View Quote

Same here-I got in on the MH group buys on Arfcom in the 2000’s-I like Mountain house and have quite a bit of it by most people’s standards …… but there is a difference between being Fed and being Not Hungry. Sure, you’ll want to stock up on bulk grains, rice etc to make soups, bread etc  but a freeze drier is a sure way to make sure you are not on a starvation diet.

If you are ever living off of your stored food, it is likely that your day will be a lot more physical than it currently is and the meals you eat will probably be the highlight of your day. For this reason, spending a little extra to have palatable food you like to eat, either raw to avid dietary fatigue, or cooked the way you prefer it is worth its weight in gold.

I don’t know how you bought your MH (pouches or cans) but the pouches are ok for a weekend of camping-you’ll be left wanting if you plan for a meal based on serving size of the can…. There really aren’t 10 servings for most adults.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:59:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Finally had a batch that required more dry time. Whoever said "if it's still cold, it means there's ice in there"-thank you. That was an easy way to tell. Some of the broccoli pieces were not completely dry.

Added more dry time (that's easy), and I'll check it again in the morning.

Precooked a pork loin, that will go in once these veggies are done.

We should likely discuss best way(s) to portion.
-snack/ingredient size
-camping solo or traveling
-family
-group (big group meals for whomever shows up in teotwawki)
????

My gusseted bags shipped, I'm planning on using those for some one-pot meals (soup/stew/chili/etc) to mix in the bag.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#28]
quart bags are a good enough measure for me, whatever fits in one goes in one

my 90 eggs fit easily into 7 quart bags for ~12 large eggs per bag

a hell of a lot more convenient than 72 eggs in a single #10 can
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:40:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By 10mmillie:
I’ve got one and it was great for 9 months. They don’t have technicians to work on them and they are sending me my second motherboard that has gone bad. Now I tell everyone to not buy one. Good luck and enjoy it while it works. Freeze dried skittles are good.
View Quote

Why does it even need a motherboard?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#30]
It probably runs on electricity or something.

It has a few sensors in it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 10mmillie:
I’ve got one and it was great for 9 months. They don’t have technicians to work on them and they are sending me my second motherboard that has gone bad. Now I tell everyone to not buy one. Good luck and enjoy it while it works. Freeze dried skittles are good.

the only thing that's a constant on or off is the freezer, the vacuum pump and tray warmers are all working off sensors

it's also a push button display with different modes and settings
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:19:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Pork loin (cooked, then frozen) is in!

Along with a bunch of frozen green beans I already had to fill up the trays and make some space in the basement freezer.

Anyone have a line on extra medium trays?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:56:14 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote
I just had to replace the main board a few months ago.  The tray heater relay went bad (pretty common) I have been thinking of setting up an external relay to take the load off the little guy....
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:36:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Pork loin (cooked, then frozen) is in!

Along with a bunch of frozen green beans I already had to fill up the trays and make some space in the basement freezer.

Anyone have a line on extra medium trays?
View Quote

nope

for now i just ordered the tray lids, which they say you can also use as trays

harvest right won't let you backorder the trays when buying direct but lots of other places will let you backorder if you want to do the wait and see thing
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Heartville Hardware

You could try calling to see if they have the trays.  They had extra stuff last time I was there.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Wife ordered 6 trays that were delivered yesterday. According to the tracking email I received they came from Harvest Right.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#37]
I did a candy cycle for the wife.

Swedish Fish-no change. At all.
Milk Duds-great.
Gummy Bears-turned into the things that attacked Mr Incredible and necessitated a cleaning of the machine.

90 eggs are in right now.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:31:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:19:34 AM EDT
[#39]
We use a regular food saver type, works pretty well. Some things you don’t want to vacuum  before sealing because the food is too fragile.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:36:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TexRdnec] [#40]
We use a regular food saver type, works pretty well. Some things you don’t want to vacuum  before sealing because the food is too fragile.
View Quote

First lesson I learned but still great to have for lots of things

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Super good thread!  I just bought one. I had to call 10 stores in the houston area to find one in stock.  Each store I called said they sell pretty quick.  I am pretty good on preps, but this will take it to the next level...
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:40:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By JazzFan:
Super good thread!  I just bought one. I had to call 10 stores in the houston area to find one in stock.  Each store I called said they sell pretty quick.  I am pretty good on preps, but this will take it to the next level...
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:29:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Question- Where do you all get the best pricing on the bags? Gonna smoke 4 or 5 pork butts this weekend and freeze dry all but one butt.  Any pointers for meat?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:12:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Question- Where do you all get the best pricing on the bags? Gonna smoke 4 or 5 pork butts this weekend and freeze dry all but one butt.  Any pointers for meat?
View Quote

i've been buying packfreshusa from wherever i can find them cheapest or amazon if i'm in a hurry and don't want to look around

fat is your enemy.  fat does not freeze dry and will eventually go rancid no matter what you do.

so the less fat = longer storage time

if it's short term i wouldn't worry much. if it's for long term i'd trim every piece of fat i could and rinse with hot water before putting it on a tray with paper towels underneath to soak up fat your missed
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Oooof. A full load of eggs takes forever. The machine has been on for 22 hours and the drying bar is only halfway done.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

It will-if you have the discipline to keep it running. I ain’t gonna lie, there were times I got tired of running it and didn’t because I hadn’t prepped anything… it’s those days you want to have some bag of frozen vegetables or something easy to just throw on trays and keep it moving….. Some food types need a lot of prep work-take Sam’s Club roasted chickens…. Probably one of the best meat values in terms of pre-cooked (and great tasting) ways to put meat away. You’ll only have $20 in enough birds to fill the medium machine, but it takes an hour to process all of the meat from the bones, and maybe you need to change the oil that run too..

I did cheat a little and would allow food that had been dried to sit on the counter in large zip lock bags for a few days while I got enough batches to make it worth dragging the sealer and scale out to package and seal the food in a more time-economical way.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#47]

i've been buying packfreshusa from wherever i can find them cheapest or amazon if i'm in a hurry and don't want to look around

fat is your enemy.  fat does not freeze dry and will eventually go rancid no matter what you do.

so the less fat = longer storage time

if it's short term i wouldn't worry much. if it's for long term i'd trim every piece of fat i could and rinse with hot water before putting it on a tray with paper towels underneath to soak up fat your missed
View Quote

Same, PackFreshUSA. We always bought on Amazon.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Oooof. A full load of eggs takes forever. The machine has been on for 22 hours and the drying bar is only halfway done.
View Quote

When you see what’s left though will understand why-it’s virtually all water. You’ll end up with some really airy foam when it’s done that is too delicate to scoop out with a spatula.

Pro-Tip: Run your dried eggs thru a blender to make them easier to pack.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:39:23 PM EDT
[#49]
First batch of strawberries took 62 hrs. Wife round out the hard way she needed to pre-freeze them.
One 6 tray load done

And put in bags with oxygen absorbers. She only had 10 of the 1 qt. bags. Had to put the rest in 2 of the 2 qt. bags.

2nd batch of 6 trays is in now. Should be done sometime tonight. 3rd batch is only 4 trays, so she added 2 trays of raspberries for a full load. That batch is still in freezer, ready to go in when 2nd. batch is done and defrost cycle is done.

It smells really good in there with strawberries freeze drying.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:42:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Fruit dries a lot faster if the skin is not intact-it;s a moisture barrier. For larger fruits like grapes, the easiest way to do them is to put then between two plates and run a knife between the plates. Blueberries? Dunno.

Bananas are the shit though.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top