Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2024 2:02:15 PM EDT
I just watched this on a flight. I don't know why I waited so long. It is a great flick.

Need to get a 4k blu ray.

I remember arf being a buzz about it but I don't remember why.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:11:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tep0583] [#1]
Originally Posted By JustinU235:
I just watched this on a flight. I don't know why I waited so long. It is a great flick.

Need to get a 4k blu ray.

I remember arf being a buzz about it but I don't remember why.
View Quote

Exclusion of showing the hanging of the American flag caused some to call it anti-American.

Haven't seen it, myself, but a friend of mine who I trust with movie recommendations likes it a lot. Said it just wasn't about America, for the most part. It focused on Armstrong.

I'll get around to it eventually.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:14:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JustinU235] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tep0583:

Exclusion of showing the hanging of the American flag caused some to call it anti-American.

Haven't seen it, myself, but a friend of mine who I trust with movie recommendations likes it a lot. Said it just wasn't about America, for the most part. It focused on Armstrong.

View Quote

I was just thinking "this is the way ""Oppenheimer"" is." It wasn't about the bomb, it was about the man. That's why it's called "Oppenheimer," or "First Man" in this case. They had his famous words which satisfies the Apollo 11 events in this movie just fine for me. It wasn't about Apollo 11.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't seen the movie. The few clips I've seen on YouTube look spectacular, especially when they first open the hatch to step outside.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I like how it focused on them in the lander, touching down on the moon. I don't know if it was really like that or not, but it was a cool scene.

And the Buzz Aldrin character was play off as a little bit of a Dick. Added something to the realism. Armstrong was portrayed as almost on the spectrum.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:21:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I definitely gotta rewatch it on disk.  This shit airplane screen didn't do it justice.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I definitely gotta rewatch it on disk.  This shit airplane screen didn't do it justice.
View Quote

Absolutely do. It's worth it. It's a subject that I've read and watch a ton of material about, and the landing sequence is just about as perfect as you can get it.

This is one of my favorite vids, it's the full landing sequence with some telemetry (like those program alarms) and comms. Compare it to the movie, it's pretty close.

Apollo 11: The Complete Descent
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:50:57 PM EDT
[#7]
But, it was all fake.......
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Funny, I just rewatched it last night. Dig the movie, personally.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Too-Tall:

Absolutely do. It's worth it. It's a subject that I've read and watch a ton of material about, and the landing sequence is just about as perfect as you can get it.

This is one of my favorite vids, it's the full landing sequence with some telemetry (like those program alarms) and comms. Compare it to the movie, it's pretty close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc1SzgGhMKc
View Quote

Will do thank you!
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:
I haven't seen the movie. The few clips I've seen on YouTube look spectacular, especially when they first open the hatch to step outside.
View Quote

Every time I see your avatar, I just assume you’re Marie.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Atropian_Defector:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Same here.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:41:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By VACaver:

Same here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By VACaver:

Same here.

Wish you guys had said something sooner, I would have changed it.

Good to know. Need to think of another photo to use now...
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:20:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By tep0583:

View Quote

This was always a nothingburger I didn't understand. A stupid controversy from people who were looking to be offended by something.

There was a flag on the LM legs and more than one shot of the LM that showed the flag planted right there next to it...and even more, there's plenty of patriotic moments all throughout the story.

It was a good book and a good movie.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:37:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I like it.  It just wasn’t as good as I was expecting.  Definitely not a waste of time like many others are.

I bought a 4K copy and still watch it from time to time.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:43:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll always watch it along with the "apollo 11" documentary in 4k.  The slow motion shots of the F1 engine on takeoff is worth cranking the sound system to max.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:50:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 0311SKI:
I'll always watch it along with the "apollo 11" documentary in 4k.  The slow motion shots of the F1 engine on takeoff is worth cranking the sound system to max.
View Quote
Thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#17]
OP, since you're a fellow nerd, you might enjoy this video about how the Apollo Guidance Computer worked.

Light Years Ahead | The 1969 Apollo Guidance Computer
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:21:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JustinU235] [#18]
Just watched it on 4K blu ray. Stunning audio and visual. The landing scene was incredible and up there with some of the best scenes put to film. It gave me chills. The intensity, the music, true to life, so good. My only regret is not seeing this sooner.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Its fantastic.

The opening should have been Armstrong getting shot down over North Korea during one of his 80 combat missions.

It’s truly unbelievable how much he danced with death. He was a stone cold ice blooded missile man.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I think it was a fine movie. The ending was particularly moving.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:53:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I liked the scene with the Gemini spinning out of control.  I didn’t know much about that mission beforehand, but they really did almost die in that one, and Armstrong cool thinking under pressure saved their butts.  I thought they portrayed Armstrong as a bit of a crybaby though.  File this under that thread of “movies that were good but I don’t want to watch again.”
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:55:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I thought it was a horrible movie. They made Neil Armstrong look like a nutjob and the graphic CGI was insufferable.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:00:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boomer] [#23]
Fuck that Canadian faggot for refusing to acknowledge the moon landing as an example of American excellence and achievement when asked about the omission of planting the American flag.

“It was a worldwide effort, hurrrrr, durrrrrr *insert cock slurping noises*”

He could have just deferred or kept his mouth shut.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Boomer:
Fuck that Canadian faggot for refusing to acknowledge the moon landing as an example of American excellence and achievement when asked about the omission of planting the American flag.

“It was a worldwide effort, hurrrrr, durrrrrr *insert cock slurping noises*”

He could have just deferred or kept his mouth shut.
View Quote

I agree.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:41:41 PM EDT
[#25]
The derptastic nature of the threads we had when conservative outrage media decided the movie was polluting our bodily fluids were epic.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:58:06 PM EDT
[#28]
The outrage over the flag was just grasping at straws. You can't really make a movie about the landing that's better than the landing footage anyway.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Dagger41:
I thought it was a horrible movie. They made Neil Armstrong look like a nutjob and the graphic CGI was insufferable.
View Quote

Of course you did.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:26:29 PM EDT
[#30]
First Man 4K HDR | Moon Landing
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:08:51 AM EDT
[#31]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESX9OBuBc1o
View Quote

The music is perfect.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:43:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 0311SKI:
View Quote
In that vein, I find this video absolutely incredible.

"This video from the Glenn Research Center highlights in stunning, behind-the-scenes imagery the launches of three space shuttle missions: STS-114, STS-117, and STS-124. NASA engineers provide commentary as footage from the ground and from the orbiters themselves document in detail the first phase of a mission."

"Best of the Best" Provides New Views, Commentary of Shuttle Launches

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:57:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Mickdog13:

Of course you did.
View Quote

I really don't care for hollywood "Based on a true story" movies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top