Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2024 7:26:43 PM EDT
Picking up off of this thread Financial Advisor

61 1/2, wife is 60. I plan to go out at 63 (1.5 years from now or sooner). We both have pensions and SS, huge E-fund, and 401k, Roth, Rollover IRA.
Met  with Fidelity today after they reviewed all of our documents. We are in good shape and should die at 92/94 with several million.

I am a novice at best with investing. The huge Fidelity package sent today shows they would change 0.88% for managing our assets. I am meeting next week with a local fiduciary used by many retiree's at our F500 company. Expect similar rate. Understanding asset allocation and location within each of the funds we have is overwhelming. Might be a case of "pay the man to get it done right".

Is the 0.88% in line?
Given my novice investment knowledge, should I pay the man?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Take your time!

There should be no rush.

One perspective should be find someone who has the heart of teacher not the heart of a salesman.

It’s a tough pill to swallow 0.88% and not really understand the strategy, what the plan is versus being paid to be educated.

The other concept is to look into “buckets” of your investments versus cash flow.
Meaning, what is your actual monthly income versus budget? Then on a 3 year scale too? Then how does that compare with tapping investments etc.

I’ve got a link around here somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#2]
At 65 we will have $10.5k/month I n guaranteed income.

Right now I’m in stocks and really nervous. Don’t want to let emotion guide my investing by I need to diversify now. And each account is different regarding taxes and risk.

I need to understand my asset location for each account and start there.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#3]
FYI, Vanguard charges .33  

Might want to give them a shot.

They will probably do an analysis and a starting plan for free for you.  

At least that is what they did for me, twice actually.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#4]
OP,,,,Look into splitting your money 50/50 by having one managed account and another self managed  but a mirror image of the first.  Net result is then 0.44% for mgt. Fees.
BTW,,,We left Fidelity decades ago and are FAR better off for it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Here’s another point that should help contribute to your comfort level or seeing the picture:

Do you have a written spending plan (budget) on a monthly basis for 2024 then 2025 and 2026?

Part of the issue is if you don’t really need the stocks, have 3-5 years of cash flow or bonds, why sell stocks as those could be your long buckets of income or cash down the road.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:19:41 AM EDT
[#6]
First, I appreciate the input from you folks. I am an engineer and know repetition is key to understanding a complex subject...I'll keep at it.

We have a pretty solid budget and started putting that together in November of 2023. The advisor used that for making the plan we went through today.

I went back and read the email he sent post meeting. I'll admit, I was overwhelmed. After reading the below again, I think I'm capable of addressing my asset allocation. And then using them when discussing distribution strategies which we will not need for a few years. We have a very large e-fund as I listed above.

From Fidelity:

I sent out the proposal for two reasons. The first is the asset allocation recommendation (how much risk do we need to be taking) and two you can see how Fidelity could assist as far as risk management/ maintaining a portfolio.

Fidelity is actually recommending a 70/30 stock to bond based on your guaranteed income and need for the funds. That is something that can be adjusted if needed.

I have attached our Wealth Planning Overview (WPO). Like I mentioned I have lots of self-directed investors in my book who pick their own mutual funds, individual stocks, ETFs, Bonds, etc. They use myself for the retirement planning, AKA distribution strategies, tax strategies, efficiencies, risk management, roth conversions. They essentially use me at no cost. My goal and Fidelity’s goal is to help support our high net worth clients with providing and educating on resources to help them make better decisions and increase probability of success.

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:26:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Morgan321] [#7]
Originally Posted By outdoorgb:
From Fidelity:

....Like I mentioned I have lots of self-directed investors in my book who pick their own mutual funds, individual stocks, ETFs, Bonds, etc. They use myself for the retirement planning, AKA distribution strategies, tax strategies, efficiencies, risk management, roth conversions. They essentially use me at no cost. My goal and Fidelity’s goal is to help support our high net worth clients with providing and educating on resources to help them make better decisions and increase probability of success.
View Quote

It sounds like the guy is at least being honest?  
The Fidelity guys will repeat what their computer tells them to say to you, that's not bad but you can do it yourself and avoid the fees like he said.  

The biggest benefit for me has been the "planning" aspect rather than the "investing" aspect.  If you can get that free from Fidelity I'd look into it.  
The guy I use licenses some fancy software that lets you input your personal and financial details and it spits out lots of handy information.  One of the more useful things for me has been a chart that shows what tax bracket you'll be in for the rest of your life.  This lets you plan for minimizing taxes - what retirement accounts to take distributions from when, when is the best time to do roth conversions, when to start your social security, etc.  
It also predicts your net worth for the rest of your life using historical market performance to bound the results, ie. it gives you results based on 5th and 95th percentile market performance over time as well as the average performance.  This lets you plan for your specific situation and what you want/need.  
The guy I use will also manage your money for you and he only charges 0.35%.  

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:15:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By outdoorgb:
At 65 we will have $10.5k/month I n guaranteed income.

Right now I'm in stocks and really nervous. Don't want to let emotion guide my investing by I need to diversify now. And each account is different regarding taxes and risk.

I need to understand my asset location for each account and start there.
View Quote
I picked a wealth management/registered investment advisor.  A true fiduciary. The group has trust attorneys and a tax division.  If you don't need all of the income, you will still be paying taxes on it.  They will calculate your overhead and base your income on your plans for retirement.  You can always take more if you want, but you will probably want to limit your tax burden.  

I will be 58 soon and 58.5 at retirement in December.  Diversification may not be what you need.  You will have guaranteed income for life if you don't pick idiots to do your planning. Also, the rule of 55 is a thing, and you can start drawing on a qualified 401K immediately if you stop working. I see you mention a pension, so that may have you locked into a retirement date.   I am not waiting until my 60s, no way.  

My major goal wasn't diversifying, but was consolidating.  I had more IRAs, Etrade, I bonds, and various things than I could keep track of.  It was an absolute pain in the balls to get some of them transferred into the managed funds.  It took 6 months before the last one cleared.  A lot of these made it so hard to get the money moved, that it appeared they were trying to steal it from me.  I am damn glad the group had an entire team moving things.  

ETA: My current 401k is Fidelity.  I wouldn't want them managing my entire portfolio.  I would say it is less than 20% of my total.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:55:53 AM EDT
[#9]
You are an engineer.  Go to the bogleheads forum and start learning- you can handle all this.  0.88% seems like a lot when you can get it cheaper at Vanguard.  Both places offer robo advisors as well,  not sure what they charge.  But the more you learn, the less you will worry about it, and the less you need to pay someone else to do it.  

If you consider the commonly recommended safe withdrawal rate of 4% per year, well if you hand 0.88% to an advisor, now you are down to 3.12% to spend, which is kind of significant.

70/30 may be ideal for you, it very much depends upon your spending needs compared to that 10.5 k/month income, and how much you want to spend of your nest egg.  60/40 to 80/20 is pretty common, so 70/30 is right there for someone probably getting most or all of their needed income from guaranteed sources.  

On bogleheads you can also lay out all the similar info you gave the advisor, and a lot of folks will give pretty good advice.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 11:07:18 AM EDT
[#10]
@tac556

Thanks for that. I'm still thinking about my next moves.
- Retirement date for real (still at about 1.5 years out)
- May want some help getting my accounts situated. 401k out of my company blanket and into Roth or IRA (rollovers)
- Minimizing my tax liability when I make moves

I'm thinking to accomplish this I (1) diversify now and am doing so, (2) find a fee based advisor to help with the above.

Meeting with one more advisor tomorrow. He comes recommended but as you wrote, If I can become informed, It will be more clear moving forward.

Appreciate everyone's input.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I am a few years ahead of you (engineer) but I am retired.  And while I have managed my own funds for several years by myself I am still learning something every week.

Think about this a minute.  Your next 20-30 years is based on your retirement funds you worked to earn over 20-35 years.  You SHOULD learn all you can over the next 6 months about investments and how what you invest in is affected by variables most likely out of your control.  Learn first then decide if you want an advisor or not.  You have plenty of time to take action.

Spend some time learning about risk profiles given your current situation and your future desires.  Personally there is NO way today I would have a 70/30 split with stocks/bonds.   I can't offer you the right profile as it is a personal decision.  But take some time to figure this out.  The biggest problem you will have that I still have is knowing all the tax advantages/disadvantages of numerous investments or movement of monies from/to accounts.  Of course each personal situation is unique.

For example one lightbulb that went off for me after I filled out my taxes this year was that I could earn 5%+ on treasuries and pay NO state income tax (5.75%).  Factoring that in made one investment decision pretty simple for me.  I invest heavily in my non-401k porfolios in short term treasuries instead of CD's.  I calculated the spread between a CD/Treasuries to make the investment equivalent (taxed vs not).  Once I knew that, I can decide which is the right investment.  Again using my non-401k accounts.  For my retirement accounts I take a different strategy.

I use Charles Schwab for all my investments as that is who I consolidated with.  Based on your total value of investments they offer advisors as well.  They also have a wealth of knowledge based tutorials and reports to learn about current markets/strategies and pre-defined portfolios to invest in.  Again as an example they offered a AI portfolio that I used to buy a number of stocks associated with AI.  It saved me hours or reseach.  And I could modify their predefined portfolio to my desires.  

I guess my long winded reply is study up first.  Its your hard earned money.  Then decide if you want an advisor but given better knowledge you can also ask better questions of this advisor.  To me the bottom line comes down to RISK.  How much risk do YOU want in your retirement portfolio.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Nothing wrong with 70/30 heavy on stocks if you will already have a comfortable guaranteed income coming in. Pick a few boring index mutual funds and bonds and forget the advisor. Rebalance once a year or just pick a balanced fund that will do that for you. If you begin to enjoy investing as a hobby you can place some side bets on individual stocks, crypto etc. with some play money you can afford to lose. Otherwise just KISS.

My early retirement will rely heavily on investment income since I will only have a smidgen of a pension but a decent chunk of savings/IRA so no swinging for the fences with risky stocks until I'm sure the bills are paid. I also have no direct heirs so at some point I will just say F it and start eating up the seed corn.  My goal is to tip my grave digger with my last $100.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:52:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I wouldn't but thats because ive been doing it my whole life,

all of my stuff is in Vanguard and individual stocks,

I retired and live off the dividends right now

its not hard to set up a vanguard account
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks again to all who have added some content. Right now I learning and working on my comfort zone for investing as I head towards retirement. Wife and I think that is 1.5 years out.
I did another online seminar today through Fidelity. Suprisingly, it was not a sales pitch. Rather, chocked full of great info. Info I have been told by advisors/managers but in a very concise straight forward way.

Seminar was called: Fundamentals of Retirement Income Planning. Anyone with Fidelity can attend quite a few offerings.

Onward I travel. Going to start a thread on RV's
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:23:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sacrosanct-Potato] [#15]
70/30 at 61 with retirement a couple years away sounds super aggressive to me, but maybe thats right where you want to be.

It's tempting to go heavy on stocks right now given the S&P performance for the last year and into this year.

However it's time to be transitioning into bonds as you land the plane.

My biggest concern would be that Fidelity is running their models that get you to your 90's based off an allocation (% of stocks vs bonds coupled with various models for projected what-ifs in the market) that is too stock heavy. The danger is that stocks go down with a down market and all of a sudden they can't hit their projections and you run out of money early. However you said you die with millions so maybe thats a non issue for you and you're just a PE baller and your only problem is that you dont like driving over bridges with your $200k RV because you know how they're built.

As to the fraction of 1% that fidelity is charging, thats normal. Fractions of 1% for a portfolio thats more than a few million is about right. At this point I wouldn't fuss about fractions of 1% as much as I would pick the advisory firm that suits me best (Vanguard, Schwab, Fidelity)

Go over to youtube and watch a few hours of Azul Wells get you up to speed and you will feel more confidant.

OH!! And by the way!! CONGRATS!!!!! Sounds like you've done well and the landing strip is in front of you!!! You're most likely in the top 1% of Americans and you and your wife are still young enough to go RV and enjoy your money before everything goes completely to hell in this country. Go enjoy retirement and enjoy your wife in "the youth of your senior years"!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top