Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2024 10:45:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-]
I've been busy playing around, figured it was finally time.

Going through and calibrating the main filaments I print with. There are far too many to do all of them but I'll do the main ones.

To clarify, I'm printing exclusively with the 0.6mm ObXidian Nozzle. I wanted maximum volumetric flow. This thing is a tool for me, not a toy, so I need it to work as productively as possible.

Using Textured PEI (stock) plates for all but the K-Value calibration; for that one I'm using a 3rd party Smooth PEI plate since Bambu is OOS.

I've been doing a full suite of calibrations, in this order:

Temp Tower
EM / Flow Ratio
K-Value
Max Flow Rate

First one up, just because I have a ton to burn through, was Numakers PLA+. Temp tower came back 235ºC. Okay, a little warm, but Bambu seems to like warm.

Next up, flow ratio.  Unsurprising 0.98.

K-Value, again, not surprising, 0.047.

Then the max flow rate.  Run 10-20.  Blew through it no problem.

Fine. 20-30. Passed again with flying colors. What the heck, this thing actually puts out what they say it does.

30-40. Again, printed a perfect ribbon, even up to 40mm³/s. Talk about impressive. At this point though I'm mad as I'm wondering if it will fail at all.

Finally I say fine, 40-50.  It throws an error on the layer in which it was printing at 47mm³/s.  Nozzle Temp abnormal. Look down, it was at 210ºC. Looking at the ribbon, it looks like it started breaking down and having tearing at around 44mm³/s.  I dialed it back 10%ish to 40mm³/s where I'll keep it.

One filament down. About 20 to go.

Also, I'm really, really liking Orca Slicer.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:17:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gtfoxy] [#1]
Always curious what others experienced in tuning do. Watched a lot of the usual vids & everyone has their own opinions on this & that. Maybe share nozzle sizes as well.

Keep it coming.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:22:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I clarified my post...it's a 0.6mm ObXidian nozzle.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:23:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: memsu] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gtfoxy:
Always curious what others experienced in tuning do. Watched a lot of the usual vids & everyone has their own opinions on this & that. Maybe share nozzle sizes as well.

Keep it coming.
View Quote

I use this guide.

https://ellis3dp.com/Print-Tuning-Guide/articles/index_tuning.html

OrcaSlicer has several of his calibration tests built in now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:50:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Where did you get the Obxidian hot end from?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

MatterHackers.

I bought the 0.6 and have the 0.4 on notify. They are OOS.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:44:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

MatterHackers.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

MatterHackers.

Only $2 more & in stock. .4 Obxidian E3D Hot End for Bambu

I ordered a .6 & .4.

Also, Bambu has all their plates back in stock as of this morning. I ordered 2 more of the smooth, textured & high temp PEI plates.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:19:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#7]

I ordered a .6 & .4.

Also, Bambu has all their plates back in stock as of this morning. I ordered 2 more of the smooth, textured & high temp PEI plates.
View Quote

Thanks for the link! I couldn't find it anywhere last time I looked. I'll pick up a 0.4 now. I'm amazed at the performance of the 0.6. Numakers PLA+ prints perfect up to 40mm³/s.

PETG I can do 35mm³/s.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:37:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gtfoxy] [#8]

Thanks for the link! I couldn't find it anywhere last time I looked. I'll pick up a 0.4 now. I'm amazed at the performance of the 0.6. Numakers PLA+ prints perfect up to 40mm³/s.

PETG I can do 35mm³/s.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I ordered a .6 & .4.

PETG I can do 35mm³/s.

Quite welcome.

Once I get them I would greatly appreciate some guidance in getting the most speed out of some various filaments, especially ABS, as I have some I really want to knock time off of yet try to maintain print quality & layer adhesion. Right now I’m at max of 16cu/mm.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#9]
What kind of speed gain/print quality are you getting from the .6?

I'm using the stock nozzles currently, and each print takes 8.5-9 hours
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By stewie97:
What kind of speed gain/print quality are you getting from the .6?

I'm using the stock nozzles currently, and each print takes 8.5-9 hours
View Quote

Really it depends on how intricate you're getting and what material and speeds you are printing at.

The main part I print took 7:14 on a Prusa MK3S+ equipped with a Mosquito hotend.

I was able to get about the same speed with a 0.4 stock hotend on the X1C. With similar wall thicknesses.

An ObXidian 0.6 now prints it in 2:27. Nearly 3x faster.

Just use the 0.6mm nozzle profile in the slicer and see. Should Slice no issue whether or not you actually have the nozzle on hand.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Really it depends on how intricate you're getting and what material and speeds you are printing at.

The main part I print took 7:14 on a Prusa MK3S+ equipped with a Mosquito hotend.

I was able to get about the same speed with a 0.4 stock hotend on the X1C. With similar wall thicknesses.

An ObXidian 0.6 now prints it in 2:27. Nearly 3x faster.

Just use the 0.6mm nozzle profile in the slicer and see. Should Slice no issue whether or not you actually have the nozzle on hand.
View Quote

Lol! simple is better, right - thanks for the tip!

I may order one to try. i need these parts to look nice, but they aren't terribly intricate.

It doesn't look like the time savings is going to help me in this case.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:55:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Numakers has a cheat sheet for Bambu printers for their PLA+ and it looks like you can run 250C for a shiny finish. https://numakers.com/blogs/news/pla-plus-bambu-studio

My TZ 3.0 hotend came in for the Bambu P1S.

Gonna be a bit before I try to install it though. I like the idea of easily changing the nozzle size and I bought some CHT clone nozzles for it.

Figure I'll try this for a bit and see how it does.

https://trianglelab.net/products/t2-30-upgrade-hot-end

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#13]
E3D Hotends came in. Can’t wait to start playing with them.

I see they are OOS at partsbuild. Arfcom strikes again. LOL Would recommend. Fast shipping.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top