Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2024 2:54:24 AM EDT
I have a Bosch ROS65VC6 (the new model of this is the GEX34-6N, same tool just a new pad with more holes). I love this sander for it's very, very low vibration and power. I've had it for about seven years and it's been great. Coupled with 3M cubitron mesh discs dust collection is nearly 100%. I like the tool A LOT.

Two things I don't like about it are the size and weight. To be more specific, the way it is built, being top heavy, and heavy, is problematic with using it on its side to sand an edge. Now, the tall top heavy nature is due to the vibration damping design (foam blocks separating the motor from the sanding mechanism) so it kind of is what it is.

The Festool is less than half the height and weight. It also has a pad brake, which can be a nice feature but not something I've wished I had, though since I've never had it maybe that's why. It has 1mm more throw on the orbit so it'll be a little faster at removing material, but I'm not sure it'll be enough for me to notice.

I used it (very briefly, maybe 30 seconds) at a retailer when I bought a RTS400 REQ (my first Festool) and it seemed pretty nice. Of course I'll have to try it again for a bit more.

For those that have it, or especially have or have used both the Bosch and Festool, is the latter really worth three times what I paid for the Bosch (just under $200 when I bought it years ago vs almost $600)? My main, and most critical concern in selecting a sander is vibration, or rather lack of it. I am getting arthritis and tendonitis in my hands, and some days it's really bad. Since sanding usually involves long periods of using the machine, I need something that has the lowest vibration possible. The Bosch has been great in this area, and I admit I don't use it on its side often, but is the Festool at least as good or better with regard to vibration damping?

I'm buying a Domino 500 by next weekend and if the ETS EC is worth it, I'll get that too. YouTube is filled with so many sponsored shills these days it's nearly impossible to get an honest opinion anymore.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 4:31:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 5” Festool random orbital, I could only guess as which model. It is very low vibration but the thing that sold me on it was the dust collection and I don’t regret it. The next one I’ll get is the 6”. I got the 5 because of the angle attachment. The manager at the woodworking shop says Mirka is actually lower vibration and better for sanding but I agreed with him that since my other tools are festool it’s best to swim in one ecosystem.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 5:15:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the Festool model you are referencing and like it very much.  As the above poster stated, if you are already invested in the Festool system I'd get it.  Mirka and 3M are other alternatives I see a lot as well.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 7:53:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gage] [#3]
I have that sander. I bought it used from a friend and it’s very nice.

https://www.festoolrecon.com/ is a great site to get a discounted price on “reconditioned” Festool tools. Festool is the seller, not a third party.

I bought a track saw and a Carvex this month and they look indistinguishable from brand new and include everything. Saved >$250 in total.

They only list one model of tool at a time. Today it’s a finish sander. Yesterday it was a vacuum. Sometimes the item changes multiple times in a day. Sometimes it’s the same item for several days.

I haven’t seen the exact sander you want but I have seen the Domino come up a few times for about $995, shipping included.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies guys.

I did not know about that reconditioned site, I'll definitely check it out. That's probably where they sell tools that people buy and use for a week or two and then return, to buy different/"better" model, like as if they bought a Domino 500 then decided the 700 is better suited to their needs.

I briefly considered the Mirka and 3M but after watching a comparison video from Marc Spagnolo I found that some of his issues with the Mirka are the same things I wouldn't like, plus it's even more expensive.

I doubt I'd stop using the Bosch if I got the Festool, on flat surfaces, which is 90% of my use, the thing is absolutely great, but if the Festool is as good with vibration mitigation then it would still be a net positive as the 10% of the time it would pick up where the Bosch leaves off, plus the extra 1mm of throw would result in marginally faster removal.

Hope to get some more input.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top