Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2023 6:53:59 PM EDT
I'm about half way through and so far it's excellent.
The first half is about Eugene Stoner and how the AR-15 came to be, and the early days in Vietnam and what went wrong.\
The rest is about the AR-15 in popular culture.

I give it an excellent rating........

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQGHNLJT?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, for one example, CJ Chivers already discussed in modern detail in his The Gun book the origins and subsequent military adoption of the AR15/XM16E1/M16 (along with its notorious reliability issues that were attempted to be covered up). What makes this book any different aside from a reported anti-gun stance?

Doc Arariel
1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money, this is utter tripe.
Reviewed in the United States on October 11, 2023
Verified Purchase
Hyped as "the true story of the AR-15", the first 150 pages of this book concern the inception and development of the AR-15. The remaining 232 pages are little more than a recounting of hysterical liberal efforts to ban the scary bad things. It drips with writing so slanted I'm surprised the book didn't slide off my table every time I set it down. Descriptions of injuries from shootings are recounted with ghoulish relish, incidents of its use are handpicked to only show its use by criminals, the statistics used are cherrypicked to avoid reflecting more current realities of its ownership, etc.

A quick glance at the authors' resumes is a dead giveaway to their blatant bias for civilian disarmament.
View Quote

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQGHNLJT?tag=arfcom00-20

At least in Chivers' aforementioned book, he cites other testing and evaluation programs which refuted Project AGILE's exaggerated terminal ballistic findings saying in effect that any similar assault rifle could have and did produce the same "descriptions of" injuries/wounds.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 7:27:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dfariswheel] [#2]
I wrote the early review as I finished the first part of the book on AR-15 development.
After that I finished the book, and as you said, it's mostly one mass shooting after another, with almost nothing on sporting use or target shooting.

After that, I'd give it a much lower ranting.
This will teach me to finish a book before reviewing.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top